Bitter Truth [Romance - GxB/GxG]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Ollie
Projects: nothing bc i procrastinate

Re: Bitter Truth [Romance/Slice of Life/Otome] [GxB/G]

#76 Post by Ollie »

1. What are you thoughts on the plot so far?

Hm, it's definitely intriguing. I don't think I've played an otome game where the MC was popular and actually had a personality. I'm really happy. It's so miffing having to deal with absurd, predictable MCs. Really makes me cringe and want to gouge my eyes out. I'm super curious as to why things change when Lily comes into her life! I am so prepared for drama and conflict, yum. I live off of drama, ahaha (but realistic drama). The plot is rather nebulous but, to be quite honest, I can understand if you felt the need not to give away too much of the story. I appreciate that. What matters is that the plot, despite it being slightly vague, piqued my interest:-).

2. Do the main characters interest you?

Yep, they do! They're all quite different, which is always welcomed, in my book. I don't like bland, overused personalities. I'm actually really happy that Cal isn't a jerk? In a plethora of stories, the popular guy, or the MC's current boyfriend, is usually a full-fledged, legit douche-face. I'm interested in seeing how all of these varying personalities clash together (in a positive or negative way).

3. Which character seems to appeal to you the most? Why?

Okay, you see, if I weren't biased, I'd say Emilia and Cal, due to their unexpected personalities (and Emilia's complex personality), but I am:-(. I have a thing for tsundere guys and they just make my weak, little ol' rundown heart do somersaults. I'm wayyyy too biased when it comes to those types of characters. So, yep, you guessed it, William has swept my heart away, like the qt he is:-). His character also seems to have a personality that's beyond tsundere, thankfully.

4. If we released a Kickstarter, would you support it? Why?

Well, I'm broke afffffff. But, if I am able to support it, of course I would. Well, Kickstarters definitely help projects improve and, in general, it'd be a great help, I'm sure. As many have stated, a demo would be required for me (and others) to base my decision on (though, I am quite positive that you know this already, so I apologise for the unnecessary reiteration, ahah).

5. What additional gameplay features do you think the game would benefit from?

I'm not sure!:-( I think all of the features already listed seem absolutely brilliant:-).

6. What is your overall opinion of Bitter Truth?

Overall, I honestly have moderately high expectations (which I normally don't for games, because I could be classified as a hardcore pessimist, or even a realist, depending on the situation). No pressure,though. The plot is, as I've already said in a prior statement, partially vague but it truly has caught my eye. I'm excited to see where this project goes (and I really appreciate the regular updates). The characters all have such diverse, unique personalities, the story line is intriguing, the artwork is simply adorable and, in addition, the GUI so far is even cute. I anticipate the release of a demo and good luck! Thank you for bringing this story into creation and I hope all goes well:-).

7. If you have any other thoughts or questions for us, please let us know below!

I don't have any questions, sorry! ;w;
Last edited by Ollie on Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
I may or may not be a full-blown, absolute dork.

Allegra Hughes
Veteran
Completed: One Leaf Clover
Projects: Bitter Truth, Two Faced
Organization: Chisa Studios

#77 Post by Allegra Hughes »

Building Bitter Truth: Week 19 Assets

Connect with us:
Image Image Image

Allegra Hughes
Veteran

#78 Post by Allegra Hughes »

Thanks for answering our feedback questions! We've addressed a few of your answers.
Ollie wrote:1. What are you thoughts on the plot so far?
Hm, it's definitely intriguing. I don't think I've played an otome game where the MC was popular and actually had a personality. I'm really happy. It's so miffing having to deal with absurd, predictable MCs. Really makes me cringe and want to gouge my eyes out. I'm super curious as to why things change when Lily comes into her life! I am so prepared for drama and conflict, yum. I live off of drama, ahaha (but realistic drama). The plot is rather nebulous but, to be quite honest, I can understand if you felt the need not to give away too much of the story. I appreciate that. What matters is that the plot, despite it being slightly vague, piqued my interest:-).
i'm glad you live off drama, because there is a ton of drama in Bitter Truth! Yeah, we didn't want to give away too much of the story, just the fact that Max and Lily appears in Emilia's life should be enough to hint that there will be conflicts in the air.
Ollie wrote:3. Which character seems to appeal to you the most? Why?
Okay, you see, if I weren't biased, I'd say Emilia and Cal, due to their unexpected personalities (and Emilia's complex personality), but I am:-(. I have a thing for tsundere guys and they just make my weak, little ol' rundown heart do somersaults. I'm wayyyy too biased when it comes to those types of characters. So, yep, you guessed it, William has swept my heart away, like the qt he is:-). His character also seems to have a personality that's beyond tsundere, thankfully.
Tsunderes have always been my favorite, but yes William has an awesome personality, with his tsundereness involved.
Ollie wrote:4. If we released a Kickstarter, would you support it? Why?
Well, I'm broke afffffff. But, if I am able to support it, of course I would. Well, Kickstarters definitely help projects improve and, in general, it'd be a great help, I'm sure. As many have stated, a demo would be required for me (and others) to base my decision on (though, I am quite positive that you know this already, so I apologise for the unnecessary reiteration, ahah).
Totally understandable. We've love for you to tell your friends and spread the word when we run our Kickstarter, as we'd love all the support we can get.
Ollie wrote:6. What is your overall opinion of Bitter Truth?
Overall, I honestly have moderately high expectations (which I normally don't for games, because I could be classified as a hardcore pessimist, or even a realist, depending on the situation). No pressure,though. The plot is, as I've already said in a prior statement, partially vague but it truly has caught my eye. I'm excited to see where this project goes (and I really appreciate the regular updates). The characters all have such diverse, unique personalities, the story line is intriguing, the artwork is simply adorable and, in addition, the GUI so far is even cute. I anticipate the release of a demo and good luck! Thank you for bringing this story into creation and I hope all goes well:-).
Well I am certainly glad that you have moderately high expectations for Bitter Truth. We hope to satisfy you with your hopes when we do release the demo :)

Allegra Hughes
Veteran

#79 Post by Allegra Hughes »

We are now in a partnership with Sekai Project for our release of Bitter Truth!

Connect with us:
Image Image Image

Allegra Hughes
Veteran

#80 Post by Allegra Hughes »

Connect with us:
Image Image Image

Allegra Hughes
Veteran

#81 Post by Allegra Hughes »

We will be releasing our Kickstarter Campaign in February 2016.
We'd love all the support we can get! Spread the word :)

Connect with us:
Image Image Image

DCH

#82 Post by DCH »

1. I like that the character is already in a relationship at the beginning of the story, I think it's much more interesting and realistic. You may struggle with that relationship on explaining physical intimacy (or lack thereof). People in relationships hold hands, kiss, and generally do other things as well-- if she is not doing any of that from the beginning it is pretty unrealistic. If she is doing any of that from the beginning it may create some discomfort with your audience who are not used to seeing that in their stories, generally. However, the plot summary needs a bit more elaboration, it's currently a general premise rather than a plot.

2. The characters seem a bit bland for the most part, but I think that's just because you are only briefly describing them. Still, the amount of characters who "want to help" or are "kind" to "those they love"-- I think only one of the biographies does not include that phrase, so they come off as balls of warmth and affection rather than people. This may actually work splendidly for the story, especially if it is about dissatisfaction with that, but it is something I noticed. As you have now written very long biographies for the characters, you may want to touch up on their descriptions to market the product better.

3. I like William. I think he will be the hardest to do right, because male tsundere is not easy to write well. There is also a spelling error in his biography "he tries to hid his emotions". His design is solid though and I actually like the sprite designs for all of the characters, so that's really good.

4. I would probably need to see more of the writing to make a determination. I think your team has probably come a long way since conceptualizing the project, but since slice of life tends to be a lot of very inconsequential interactions, they need to be very well written to hold my interest. It is not something I would invest in without seeing. But I think it's still a good idea for a project.

5. I think you're best off avoiding gameplay, it's one of those "go big or go home" things. If you have entertaining mini-games those could be fun, but they could also frustrate your audience that is more interested in the characters and romance/story.

6. Currently my impression is that it is going to have a lot of cute art but may struggle due to characters that are too similar. If everyone is out to help those they love and find happiness, it is going to be very hard to differentiate them from one another. I think a lot of the value of the product is going to be how well it handles the original relationship and what happens to it-- that's probably the core of the story, so the two main leads need to be interesting to watch. Right now I do not know if they would be, but I am open to it.

7. Additional Comment: It's great to see young people working on such an ambitious project, keep at it and good luck!

Allegra Hughes
Veteran

#83 Post by Allegra Hughes »

Connect with us:
Image Image Image

Allegra Hughes
Veteran

#84 Post by Allegra Hughes »

Connect with us:
Image Image Image

Allegra Hughes
Veteran

#85 Post by Allegra Hughes »

Connect with us:
Image Image Image

Allegra Hughes
Veteran

#86 Post by Allegra Hughes »

Connect with us:
Image Image Image

Allegra Hughes
Veteran

#87 Post by Allegra Hughes »

Thanks for answering our feedback questions! We've addressed a few of your answers.
DCH wrote:1. I like that the character is already in a relationship at the beginning of the story, I think it's much more interesting and realistic. You may struggle with that relationship on explaining physical intimacy (or lack thereof). People in relationships hold hands, kiss, and generally do other things as well-- if she is not doing any of that from the beginning it is pretty unrealistic. If she is doing any of that from the beginning it may create some discomfort with your audience who are not used to seeing that in their stories, generally. However, the plot summary needs a bit more elaboration, it's currently a general premise rather than a plot.
That's kinda why we titled it "story" instead of "plot" since it's pretty vague. We don't want to spoil too much by giving away what would be in the demo. But I am glad you like that Emilia's already in a relationship.
DCH wrote: 2. The characters seem a bit bland for the most part, but I think that's just because you are only briefly describing them. Still, the amount of characters who "want to help" or are "kind" to "those they love"-- I think only one of the biographies does not include that phrase, so they come off as balls of warmth and affection rather than people. This may actually work splendidly for the story, especially if it is about dissatisfaction with that, but it is something I noticed. As you have now written very long biographies for the characters, you may want to touch up on their descriptions to market the product better.
Again, we don't want to go in too much specifics yet. The whole point is to get a round about the character, and play the game to really learn their personality and character.
DCH wrote:3. I like William. I think he will be the hardest to do right, because male tsundere is not easy to write well. There is also a spelling error in his biography "he tries to hid his emotions". His design is solid though and I actually like the sprite designs for all of the characters, so that's really good.
Thanks for the proofread! I'm glad you like him, he is definitely a challenge.
DCH wrote:4. I would probably need to see more of the writing to make a determination. I think your team has probably come a long way since conceptualizing the project, but since slice of life tends to be a lot of very inconsequential interactions, they need to be very well written to hold my interest. It is not something I would invest in without seeing. But I think it's still a good idea for a project.
We will be releasing our demo with the Kickstarter so I hope you take a look at it :)
DCH wrote:6. Currently my impression is that it is going to have a lot of cute art but may struggle due to characters that are too similar. If everyone is out to help those they love and find happiness, it is going to be very hard to differentiate them from one another. I think a lot of the value of the product is going to be how well it handles the original relationship and what happens to it-- that's probably the core of the story, so the two main leads need to be interesting to watch. Right now I do not know if they would be, but I am open to it.
Well, I'd love to hear your opinions after you play the demo and see how the characters differentiate.

RyanRPGVA

#88 Post by RyanRPGVA »

All in all this absolutely looks wonderful! I only have one small question regarding voice over: are you going to have open auditions for the game if it is funded or will you be scouting and other such means? I was just curious, but it looks wonderful so keep up the amazing work!

Allegra Hughes
Veteran

#89 Post by Allegra Hughes »

RyanRPGVA wrote:All in all this absolutely looks wonderful! I only have one small question regarding voice over: are you going to have open auditions for the game if it is funded or will you be scouting and other such means? I was just curious, but it looks wonderful so keep up the amazing work!
I'm glad you like it. Regarding your question, if we get the funds for the Voice Over, we plan to mainly do an open auditions through LSF and VAA. We will occasionally be scouting, dependent on the role or if we don't get the results we want through the open auditions. Follow us on our social media, as we'll let everyone know about those open auditions if all goes well!

Allegra Hughes
Veteran

#90 Post by Allegra Hughes »

Building Bitter Truth: Week 22 Assets

Listen to Sakura on SoundCloud

Connect with us:
Image Image Image