Healing Hearts Otome [Modern Fantasy][GxB][Demo] Update 8/20

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
dacora
Projects: Healing Hearts Otome
Tumblr: onadacora

Healing Hearts Otome [Modern Fantasy][GxB][Demo] Update 8/20

#1 Post by dacora »

Last Updated 8/20/15
Story:
Leah (name can be changed) Parrish is in her second year at Faelands School of Magic. It is time for her to be assigned to a team of other magic-users to continue her training for the next three years. Protecting the mundane world from magical threats is a dangerous job, and her teammates are incredibly important to her future –in more ways than one. The problem: the rest of Leah's teammates are all guys, and the team lives together! On top of that, as the team's Healer she has to choose one of them to be her Primary –the one whose job it is to protect her over all else. Who will she pick?

Basic Information:
The story will have a common beginning, but once you pick your bachelor of choice each story will be unique. Right now there are five planned bachelors, with possibly two more depending on how long everything takes.

With the fact that each route is totally different in mind (and therefore multiplying the amount of writing that needs to be done), right now the plan is to release the game in increments. For example, when the first two bachelors are done, I'll do a first release. Then probably additional releases after each one is done. I'll have to look into the details.

But, there are only two of us working on this game, so please be patient with us. This is also our first project of this nature, so we're both still learning a lot!

The Team:
Writer/Coder: OnaDacora (me) http://onadacora.tumblr.com/
Artist: nittanynn http://nittanynn.tumblr.com/

Music is from N.C.H (syncopika)/Green Bear Music

DEMO AVAILABLE HERE http://dacora.itch.io/healing-hearts-otome
Demo Updated 8/20/15

Healing Hearts Otome Tumblr: http://healingheartsotome.tumblr.com/
Screenshots and some more in progress stuff (and goofy stuff) gets posted here.

What's Available to Play:

8/20/15
-The 'common route' introduction that leads up to your choice of Primary (aka your guy of choice). Around 8,000 words.
-The first few scenes of John's route. Around 6,000 words.
-​The total word count for the Introduction and ALL five demo routes is: 20,640 words

8/20/15- ​Demo updated with extra content in Introduction, all bachelors now have at least the first scene done in each route. John has additional expressions, but still NO expression for other sprites, John's sprites still incomplete. Mamoru's new sprite is DONE, one more scene added to the end of John's current demo route. (Castor WILL have a shirtless sprite for the start of his route, don't worry.)

8/11/15- First in-progress demo uploaded. MC's sprites generally done, NO expressions for the other sprites other than default. Mamoru's sprite still needs to be re-done, others still need minor fixes.

The Cast:
Name: Leah Parrish (first name can be changed)
Species: Human
Magic Type: Healing
I didn’t know it until I received my acceptance letter, but magic runs in my family from my father’s side. My grandmother attended Faelands when she was my age and was also a Healer.
They say that I’m particularly gifted, like she was. All Healers have empathic ability, but unfortunately (or fortunately in some cases) mine is stronger than normal. Even when I don’t want to I can feel the strong emotions of those around me. To put it plainly… sometimes it really sucks.
~Leah

Name: Willis Sylvan
Species: Half-Elf
Magic Type: Earth
Willis is the leader of our team. He’s friendly, kind, and takes care of everyone like they’re his own family. I don’t have any siblings, but he seems like how I’d imagine a big brother to be. He sort of seems too good to be true, which means he probably is.
Sometimes when I’m talking to him, though, no matter what kind of emotion I’m feeling from him… there seems to be sadness underneath. I wish I knew why.
~Leah

Name: John Moretti
Species: Human?
Magic Type: Darkness
I’m not sure what to make of John. He started at Faelands a year younger than the rest of us, and everyone calls him a prodigy. He’s shy and quiet, and always had his face stuck in a book whenever I saw him outside of class. I think the first time I really talked to him was when we were assigned to Team Yggdrasil together.
I’m pretty sure he’s human like me, but when he looked into my eyes earlier… I felt so strange, I’m not sure what came over me. I think it was some kind of magic, but none that I’ve ever experienced before…
~Leah

Name: Berhanu Bekele
Species: Light-Elf
Magic Type: Light
Berhanu is… very polite and very serious. There’s an obvious joke in the fact that he’s a Light Light-Elf, but I doubt anyone has had the courage to make it.
I haven’t quite figured him out, and I’m not sure that I will for some time. I do know that he likes video games, but he acts like his interest in them is shameful. Something about them ‘subverting Elven traditions’. I didn’t get much else than that from him; he clammed up shortly afterward and left the room. I’m not sure, but I think something upset him…
~Leah

Name: Castor Petros
Species: Half-Nymph
Magic Type: Water
So far since I’ve met Castor, I think I’ve only seen him smile once. He almost got into a fight with Willis right when we met, too. Granted, I think in this case Willis sort of deserved it for outing Castor’s ‘secret’ right away…
I think he’s nicer than he lets on though. We had a conversation my first day and he was actually pretty reassuring when I mentioned how worried I was about being the team’s Healer. Well… he sort of splashed me with dishwater and told me to knock it off, but coming from him it was comforting, really.
~Leah

Name: Maximilian ‘Max’ Porter
Species: Human
Magic Type: Fire
Max is a shameless flirt, there’s no getting around it. The second we were introduced he turned on the charm. At first I thought he just kissed my hand as a joke, but he was so sincere I couldn’t help but blush.
He’s messy, refuses to help in the kitchen, and hogs the bathroom that we share. Willis says he’s from a wealthy family, and with his behavior I believe it. He’s so nice though, and not snobby at all like you’d expect. It’s impossible to stay mad at him for long.
~Leah

ImageImage
Name: Margaret and Alexander Harper, ‘Maggie and Alex’
Species: Half-Elf
Magic Type: Air
I met Maggie and Alex our first day at Faelands. Maggie and I were roommates for our first year, and Alex was always joined at her hip.
Alex is always cracking jokes, sometimes at our expense. He teases Maggie all the time, and nowadays me too. He didn’t used to… there was a time that we almost started dating. We never told Maggie, but we decided against it so that the relationship between the three of us didn’t get ruined.
Maggie is the more serious of the two. She always rises to Alex’s teasing, and I’ve had to duck for cover more than once when they start buffeting each other with air magic.
I thought I’d be with one of them when we were assigned to our teams, but we were all separated. I really hope this doesn’t ruin our friendship.
~Leah

Name: Oshizen Mamoru
Species: Dark Elf
Magic Type: Healer
Mamoru is the leader of Team Nidhogg –our greatest rival.
He’s very calm and composed, and seems friendly to me at least. But there’s some kind of serious tension between him, Berhanu, Willis, and Castor. Whatever it is, it must be the reason there’s such animosity between our teams.
I feel like they’re hiding something from me. Something I should know.
~Leah
Questions/Comments

1. First impressions?
2. What do you think of the concept?
3. Which of the bachelors (Willis, John, Berhanu, Castor, and Max) interests you the most?
4. If you have a favorite, what do you like about them?
5. Any thoughts/questions/comments after playing the demo?
6. Any issues you had playing the game?
7. Anything you want to add?

Thank you for taking the time to check out the game!
Last edited by dacora on Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Amy_oai
Regular
Tumblr: obsessionaboutillusions

Re: Healing Hearts Otome [Modern Fantasy][GxB]

#2 Post by Amy_oai »

I really loved the demo! Will you be giving out another one before the release of the full game? Can't wait to see more!

1. First impressions?
It's really nice! The team names are a little hard to remember, but at the end of the demo I think I got it.

I love it! Magical school with magical boys, what else can I ask for?

3. Which of the bachelors (Willis, John, Berhanu, Castor, and Max) interests you the most?
John and Berhanu <3

John's personality, Berhanu's design.

It does need a little spell and grammar checking, but other than that, it looks good!

Not on this playthrough. I'll check back with you if I do find something.

It looks absolutely lovely, keep up the good work!
Image Image Image Image

dacora

#3 Post by dacora »

Amy, thanks so much for replying and checking out the game! :D I'm glad you've enjoyed it so far.

The team names are references to Norse mythology. Yggdrasil is the World Tree, and Nidhogg is the dragon that gnaws on its roots.

I'm so glad you like Berhanu, he was the first one I came up with a concept for, but so far has been the most difficult to write, hehe.

This isn't 100% set in stone, but I'm pretty sure I will release more updated versions of the Demo as I get more stuff done. Hopefully by that time the artist will have more sprite work done so all the guys can have expressions!

neuropsy
Regular
Projects: Emissary of Starlight
Tumblr: emissaryofstarlight

#4 Post by neuropsy »

1. First impressions?
Ooh, this looks like a nice little game! I get the feeling that'll it'll be really heartwarming and down-to-earth.

There are many ways to execute the magic school setting, and creating the concept of a "Primary" for healer characters is a nice, flexible addition to the standard. Given the indisputable importance of healers, it'd be interesting to see her dynamics with the team as the one keeping them all alive.

Willis, since he seems like such a sweetheart, and John, because I like shy, quiet, nerdy characters. The shyer, the better.

The scene where Leah chooses John as her primary was absolutely adorable. I'm pretty sure I let out an audible squee at how awkwardly cute it was. It's also really cool to see him stand up for himself after he perceived being doubted.

-It's really interesting that Leah almost dated Alex! That's sure to bring some juicy drama in the game as Leah and her bachelor's relationship progress. I very rarely see otome games where the MC has dated/come to dating anyone before, so props to that. The reasoning of maintaining the friendship between the three is very realistic too, something commonly see in the real world.
-I wonder what other kinds of magic must be out there, and how malleable each magic type can be! World building is some of the most fascinating things to me as a reader.
-I felt bad in real life when I accidentally offended Berhanu about video games. ;w; I'm sorry! Be friends with me!
-Using pain as an indicator for one's location is a really dark, but fun idea. I just realized I made a pun given John's abilities... I'm sorry.

Nothing technical, nope. There was one scene that honestly struck me in a bad way, but I'm sure it wasn't meant to sound like that--specifically, I was hoping that the concept of "laying claim" on someone would be called out. I know it isn't meant to be objectifying, but if anyone else mentions this, I'd consider editing that scene (unless it's really how the characters would act).

Good luck on development! Also, from my observations, adding [DEMO!] or something of the sort to your thread title will help attract a lot more attention. ;)
"Everyone was jumping a giant jump rope, but I was too scared to join. I was hesitant, like a child, always waiting for you."
Current Project: Emissary of Starlight

dacora

Re: Healing Hearts Otome [Modern Fantasy][GxB][Demo]

#5 Post by dacora »

neuropsy, I just edited the title as you suggested. ;)

Your post gave me the biggest smile, I'm so glad you've been enjoying it and having such genuine reactions to the characters. I'm sorry you accidentally made Berhanu mad! That's just how he is, what a meanie...

I definitely get you on the "laying claim" bit, and I think I'm going to go back and fiddle around with that dialogue a bit. It didn't come out quite the way I wanted, and while John can be a bit jealous (obviously) he's definitely not trying to come across so badly.

Oh, and in regards to Leah's romantic history... She's a more experienced main character. I wanted to make the main character a little more confident and since she's essentially in college (just a magic college) the pacing of events is more natural for older characters (at least in my opinion).

Thank you so much for taking the time to play the game and reply! :D

dacora

#6 Post by dacora »

UPDATE:

Added another member of the cast. Oshizen Mamoru, the leader of the team that rivals Leah and the guys. :) The artist just finished up his new sprite.

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#7 Post by AntiquedFae »

Why does this not have more comments?! It's fantastic! At first I wasn't sure what I would think of it because it seems rather stereotypical, but I was so pleasantly surprised when I played it because it is so not! The MC is really fun; she's friendly and sweet but still has some spunk and is pretty independent. It surprised me how well I related to her. And I love how she is such a strong empath and can feel emotions. That added a huge amount to the game for me, since she gets more hints to what everyone is feeling than she would otherwise, but it's handled very well and doesn't make her seem like she knows everything or that it has no consequences. Excellent for mysteries, huhuhu~
As for my favourite pursuable characters (since you were curious) I really like both John and Castor. I relate very strongly to John, so I'd say I might like him a bit more. I surprised myself by really liking Castor too though! I love water, so he might have a bit of an unfair advantage there. I think the dynamic between the MC and each of the guys is stupendous. I love how they all have a bit of a mystery to them (john's is the most obvious, but there's loads more to learn about each and every one of them) because that's the most interesting thing about building character relationships to me.

I'm definitely following this project! Congratulations to you for making someone who wasn't expecting much into a fairly interested fan! That is impressive.
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

dacora

#8 Post by dacora »

AntiquedFae, I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I'm also really glad that folks have been liking John so far, since his route is the first one that I've been working on. I'm also pleasantly surprised to see that the spread of interest in other characters has been so varied. Nods to Castor, Willis, and Berhanu so far. Poor Max.

I'm blushing from all your praise, and I love that you love Leah. She's been really fun to write as our Main Character.

Thank you again for taking the time to play it, and for all of your kind words. <3

dacora

#9 Post by dacora »

UPDATE

I'll be adding more to the demo in the next couple days. I'll be including the first scene (when Leah talks to her chosen Primary) for each of the guys, just to give everyone a little bit more of a feel for each of the guys.

There will also be a few sprite updates (a few more expressions for John, Mamoru's new sprite) and about 700 more words in the introduction which is mostly dialogue with Willis, Castor, and Max.

Here's a teaser for Max's route.
screenshot0007.png
screenshot0008.png

dacora

#10 Post by dacora »

DEMO UPDATED

Download Here: http://dacora.itch.io/healing-hearts-otome

Guys, the Demo has been updated! Here’s a list of updates:

-There are some expanded scenes in the intro. About 700 more words, giving us a total of ~8,200 words.

-John has a few more sprites! Yay! (Sorry, everyone else still just has one expression)

-John has a finished CG in his route, and an additional scene at the end because…

-Mamoru’s new sprite is in the game!

-The first scenes for all the other guys are now available! About 1000 words per character, a bit more in some cases.

-The total word count for the Introduction and ALL five demo routes is: 20,640 words

AntiquedFae
Veteran

Re: Healing Hearts Otome [Modern Fantasy][GxB][Demo] Update

#11 Post by AntiquedFae »

Hooray. :3 Looking forward to playing the new demo! Downloading now.
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

dacora

#12 Post by dacora »

Found an issue with one of John's sprites in his route that was triggering a placeholder on accident. This has been fixed and the demo re-uploaded.

neuropsy
Regular
Projects: Emissary of Starlight
Tumblr: emissaryofstarlight

#13 Post by neuropsy »

I just played the updated demo and...
I want to know what happened to their old healer! DX
"Everyone was jumping a giant jump rope, but I was too scared to join. I was hesitant, like a child, always waiting for you."
Current Project: Emissary of Starlight

dacora

#14 Post by dacora »

neuropsy wrote:I just played the updated demo and...
I want to know what happened to their old healer! DX
I promise you'll find out... eventually. ;3

dacora

#15 Post by dacora »

Some screenshots/teasers from John's route. ;)
screenshot0014.png
screenshot0016.png
screenshot0015.png
screenshot0017.png