Swan x Swan [YuriJam][Romance][Fantasy][NaNo16] (Previews!)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Fox Lee
Veteran
Completed: Where Ages Go [NaNo2015]
Projects: Swan x Swan [YuriJam/NaNo16], ♥ON, Guilded Age
Organization: Invincible Ink
Deviantart: foxlee
itch: foxlee

Swan x Swan [YuriJam][Romance][Fantasy][NaNo16] (Previews!)

#1 Post by Fox Lee »

TIME FOR YURI JAM! :D My concept is...
An adaptation of the Swan Lake ballet, where a few key characters are female instead of male, and most of the more "stock" characters being given some personality and motivations.
It's working quite well, because it's giving me the chance to explore a bunch of other relationships between women aside from the central (romantic) one.

NaNo16 Addendum: Gonna get back to work on this for NaNoRenO (or more accurately, IntRenaiMo - finishing in March rather than starting there!) because I don't think I have time for a totally new project. So yeah, back to swans! :)

Features
  • Pretty lesbian princesses!
  • Its own score, based on the Swan Lake ballet
  • Probably at least 95% kinetic novel...
  • ...but with multiple endings for romances and friendships!
  • Happy ending(s) - because boo on same-sex romance always being tragic!
  • Free/PWYW on itch.io, in the spirit of sharing the yuri goodness :D
Characters
Click to enlarge pictures!
(Yeah I pretty much did this just because I wanted to draw pretty princesses for a couple months <XD)

Princess Sigrid (Original: Prince Siegfried).
As in the original, a brash and self-assured young sovereign who is disinterested in taking on the responsibilities of a ruler.
She becomes enchanted with Odette for entirely superficial reasons, but her intentions are genuine;
nevertheless, she needs to learn the difference between infatuation and love before she can save anybody.

Odette Von Rothbart
Leda's daughter and Odile's sister, a pure-hearted maiden cursed to live as a swan by day, a woman by night.
Because her mother has tried to keep her from sullying herself by developing romantic attachments, she has become melancholy and emotionally distant.
While she's right to doubt Sigrid's maturity, she also needs to address her own inability to trust others before she can be free.

Odile Von Rothbart
Leda's other daughter, transformed by her magic into a reflection of Odette.
Bullied and manipulated by Leda, Odile idolizes her beautiful sister, and tries to pull Sigrid away from Odette mostly out of desperation.
Despite how badly she's been treated, she is a better person than her mother, as she may yet prove.

Leda Von Rothbart
A sorceress, the villain, Odette and Odile's mother.
I'm not sure what her damage is exactly, but she's so obsessed with preserving her "perfect" daughter that she transforms
Odette into a purity metaphor swan, and is willing to kill her before she'll let her escape.
Odile she regards as a failure, only fit to be her tool, and has destroyed her self-esteem by constantly belittling her next to Odette.

Queen Arnaude
Sigrid's mother, a no-nonsense monarch who tries to be fair and responsible.
She conflicts with her daughter over Sigrid's childish behaviour and tries to impress upon her the need to become a proper ruler
(though I'm not really playing the "stop trying to be a man" angle, because that's not the point of the story).
Although she and Sigrid come to the brink of destroying their relationship, she's not like Leda, so there is hope for them to reconcile.

Swans
Forgot I needed to draw these! Odette and Odile have swan forms, of course. Technically the black swan (I have these practically in my backyard!) should probably be bigger than most of the white varieties, but I'm gonna go ahead and ignore that for the sake of convenience :p

Previews!
I'm really enjoying this interface! I wasn't going to do widescreen, but I really felt like the atmosphere suffered when I used the narrower backgrounds.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Question for everybody - Does the Quick Menu work just kinda hanging out on the side there? I'm not sure if I should try move it into the main frame, or give it its own frame, or just leave it how it is. What do you think? ^^

Music
The game is going to have original music! My super talented composer friend has time to work on it this month, so the game will now feature layered electronic violin compositions based on the original score. It's going to be amazing! XD XD XD

Endings
There are going to be multiple endings, but I'm not 100% sure what they'll be based on yet. I'm leaning more and more toward simple letting the user pick the ending. It's not supposed to be a challenge, but more an opportunity for the viewer to pick the ending they think works best.

Highly Technical Progress Meter!
OVERALL: In the home stretch. Planning and assets are complete, "putting it all together" phase is roughly half done.
  • Story Outline: 110%, revised, refined, polished
  • Script/Coding: Something life half done I reckon!
  • Character Design: ALL DONE!
  • Backgrounds: I don't THINK I need any more
  • Sprites: 6/6 (now with additional poses and expressions!)
  • Interface: JUST DON'T LOOK AT THE SYSTEM SCREENS
  • Event CGs: Sketches are done. Colouring them will be a stretch goal - otherwise the game will launch with the sketchy style just for event CGs.
  • Title/Logo: Forgot to list until it was done!
  • Music: Amazing composer recruited!
Last edited by Fox Lee on Sat Mar 26, 2016 4:08 am, edited 15 times in total.
Fox Lee: The Girl Your Mother Warned You About
CleanDirtyFurryPro

Smudgeed
Regular
itch: smud

Re: Swan x Swan [YuriJam][Romance][Fantasy][GxG (obv!)]

#2 Post by Smudgeed »

*screams "I love Swan Lake" into the Lemmasoft forum abyss*

But seriously, I love Swan Lake. Your adaptation sounds amazing and I look forward to seeing more. I can't offer much help in the way of names...but I'm cheering you on here! Good luck!

Also I hope you don't mind if I occasionally draw some fanart of these characters because....I love Swan Lake... (Though I should draw for my own Yuri Jam game.)

Again, good luck! :)

Seigetsu
Regular
Deviantart: suien

#3 Post by Seigetsu »

This is an amazing concept. I love how you'll give depth to the side characters as well, because that's desperately lacking in many stories. It's wonderful seeing so many people participating in the Yuri Jam. Wish you all the best, and if you need any help, feel free to ask!

Parataxis
Regular
Projects: Shadow City, Scribbles!
Tumblr: asktheprismguard

#4 Post by Parataxis »

Oh my gosh! I love Swan Lake--and I really like your take on it! There's such fascinating potential relationships in the original story that aren't explored because it's a ballet.

Hm... I don't mind Rosalind as a name but I don't think it has the same weight. Have you considered Rhiannon? It's more English/welsh than Germanic, but I feel like it has slightly more power behind it. (The Name also means "Great Queen" as a bonus!)

On a side note, have you seen the anime Princess Tutu? They have a Swan Lake Motif as well and they do an excellent job with fleshing out their Odile character. (It's worth a watch just in general, even if you want to wait until after Yurijam)

Fox Lee
Veteran

#5 Post by Fox Lee »

Hee, thanks folks! I sure do hope it goes well. I seem to have gotten over my inability to draw the main characters at least (main post updated with updated designs, yay!), so that's a relief <XD

Smudgeed, oh my goodness, of course you can fan art! Gosh, I can't say I've ever had somebody ask before the game was even in a preview state XD You really must love the story ;p I hope my version will live up to your expectations ^_^
CleanDirtyFurryPro

Parataxis
Regular
Projects: Shadow City, Scribbles!
Tumblr: asktheprismguard

#6 Post by Parataxis »

Are you planning on using music from the Ballet for your soundtrack? Just curious.

Fox Lee
Veteran

#7 Post by Fox Lee »

Whups, Parataxis I missed your earlier response on my first pass >3>; From the top - I like Rhiannon! I'll have to try it out next to the others and see whether or not it fits. It is a bit culturally distant, but I think you're exactly right in that it has a good, strong sound.

Princess Tutu I haven't watched - the art style never grabbed me, as I actually have a pretty low shoujo tolerance. Maybe I should watch it for research anyway :p

As for the soundtrack, I'm hoping so! I'm not totally sure if I'll be able to, only because I'd like to have it be PWYW on itch.io, and unless I could find Creative Commons recordings, splitting tips would wind up being awkward. We'll see what happens ^^
CleanDirtyFurryPro

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#8 Post by papillon »

re: rothbart - For some reason the first thing that popped into my mind is Rothgild but I don't think that's a real name.

However, iirc it is his surname - von Rothbart - not his given name. So your sorceress could still be Lady von Rothbart.

Laiska
Veteran
Completed: Queen At Arms, Cerulean, The Shadows That Run Alongside Our Car, Vicarwissen
Projects: Caramel Mokaccino
Tumblr: minesweeperaddict
Deviantart: koyoba

#9 Post by Laiska »

Fox Lee wrote:As for the soundtrack, I'm hoping so! I'm not totally sure if I'll be able to, only because I'd like to have it be PWYW on itch.io, and unless I could find Creative Commons recordings, splitting tips would wind up being awkward. We'll see what happens ^^
So far, as far public domain recordings, I've found this one: https://musopen.org/music/1500/pyotr-il ... lake-op20/

The recording isn't a super clear one, and you'll have to cut the various tracks yourself, but it's a start!

I hope you can manage to use the actual music in the game, because it's one of my favourite ballets, musically, and it would be a shame not to have it in! Good luck with this =)

Fox Lee
Veteran

#10 Post by Fox Lee »

papillon wrote:re: rothbart - For some reason the first thing that popped into my mind is Rothgild but I don't think that's a real name.

However, iirc it is his surname - von Rothbart - not his given name. So your sorceress could still be Lady von Rothbart.
Oh, that's a really good point! I may do just that. It will certainly stop the lack of a name from holding me up, at least ^_^; Thanks for pointing that out!
Laiska wrote:So far, as far public domain recordings, I've found this one: https://musopen.org/music/1500/pyotr-il ... lake-op20/

The recording isn't a super clear one, and you'll have to cut the various tracks yourself, but it's a start!

I hope you can manage to use the actual music in the game, because it's one of my favourite ballets, musically, and it would be a shame not to have it in! Good luck with this =)
Oh, thank you! :D I'll take a look at that further down the track. I really appreciate you fishing that up!

My other concern with using the score is that the music may not work without adaptation, as it's written for something very dynamic (ie dance) as opposed to something very static (a VN with few or no animations). Like, I'm worried I may put it in there and it will be very at-odds with what's happening on screen? I'm not sure how it will go. but I do really want to work the music in, if I can!

I have a friend who plays an electric violin and composes her own digital music by cutting and layering that - she's done the music for a couple of games in meatspace jams I've attended. I keep dreaming about how amazing it would sound, to have her adapting some of the traditional music! Ahhh, it would be gorgeous~ It's only the concern about tips that's holding me back :\ Right now, I'm thinking if I get to the start of October and I love what I've done, I might commission her instead of just asking for a collab, if I can find the money. At that stage, it would totally be worth it...
CleanDirtyFurryPro

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#11 Post by KittyKatStar »

Aaah I love this idea. I love Swan Lake (and all of the books/movies/retellings of it). ;w; So... Really happy to see a GxG version of it. <3 Good luck!

MirukiMary
Deviantart: MirukiMary

#12 Post by MirukiMary »

!!!!!!I!!!!love!!!!!swan lake!!!!
And i love rewrites that take side characters in consideration even more. Really looking forward to it!!!
(the art is super pretty too, which is a big plus!)

Good luck with your project!!

Fox Lee
Veteran

#13 Post by Fox Lee »

Hey erryone! Here's a shot of the interface so far, also added to the first post:

I'd love to get your opinions on the Quickmenu - does it look okay just sorta hanging off the side there? I'm not sure if I should try move it into the main frame, or give it its own frame, or just leave it how it is. Feedback much appreciated! :D
CleanDirtyFurryPro

Fox Lee
Veteran

#14 Post by Fox Lee »

Updated! I think I've settled on a colouring style! I was actually aiming for a really delicate watercolour style, but apparently I can't do that to save my bum, so this will have to do >3>;

I'd still really like to know what you think about the quickmenu, please and thank you ^^
CleanDirtyFurryPro

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#15 Post by papillon »

The textbox is pretty - the quickmenu does seem a little bereft floating there with no backing, though. Not horrible, just not as nice as the rest of it.