Virtuality (cyberpunk romance BxG/B) Demo!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Katta
Veteran
Tumblr: gamesbykatta
Deviantart: katjama

Virtuality (cyberpunk romance BxG/B) Demo!

#1 Post by Katta »

Synopsis:
Alex Bishop is a starry-eyed law student, keeping his nose buried in the books while dreaming of a high-profile future. Unlike everyone else, he just doesn’t have the time to waste playing around in Virtuality, the virtual world that everyone, especially his girlfriend Alyssa, is crazy about. And more importantly, he just doesn’t see why he should care when there’s plenty to see and do in the real world. But after being nudged into making an account and a close encounter with one of the stars of Virtuality’s fighting arenas, Silver Phoenix, Alex may find that there is a whole lot more “reality” to Virtuality than he thought.

Screenshots:
GUI:
Characters:

Team:
Director Katta
Writer Tanya Rodgers
Artist FeliceMelancholie
CG artist Rena Illusion
Background artist Badriel
Gui art and programming Anne
Music Creative Commons

Itch.io page with downloads
Game development blog

Questions:
1) Did you like the demo? Would you be interested in playing the whole game? If yes, considering it's BxG/B I'm curious what gender you are (of course you're free not to answer)
2) Who would you like to date? (unfortunately not all characters are present in the demo, but you can see everyone on the pic here)
3) Would you like to get back with Alyssa?
4) What do you think about music? Is the library track too boring/repetitive or good?
5) Should I add more sound effects?
6) Any bugs/typos? *I hope noone will notice them*

sherberrie
Regular

Re: Virtuality (cyberpunk romance BxG/B) Demo!

#2 Post by sherberrie »

1) Did you like the demo? Would you be interested in playing the whole game? If yes, considering it's BxG/B I'm curious what gender you are (of course you're free not to answer)
There wasn't even an obvious plot, but I still was super immersed in it! I'd love to play the full game. Also, I'm currently questioning my gender, but I'm panromantic.

2) Who would you like to date? (unfortunately not all characters are present in the demo, but you can see everyone on the pic here)
I'd definitely want to date the cute AI girl!

I didn't like her character in the first place, and that part
where she kissed the other guy
just ticked me off... Definitely not.

4) What do you think about music? Is the library track too boring/repetitive or good?
It really fits the game! However, it was pretty repetitive, but in some parts it helped give the atmosphere an eerie virtual world-like sense.

I'd love to hear cool fighting noises for the arena part!

Nope! But... it's written no one, not noone. ;)

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

#3 Post by Godline »

Questions:

Yes. You know what gender I am. :)

I would actually like to see the B/B routes and I am not usually a big BL fan. I think this just screams BL.
The rivalry between Alex and Silver Phoenix is hot.

No. She's a horrible, horrible girl.

I almost always play VNs on silent. Sorry!

See above.

Katta
Veteran

#4 Post by Katta »

Thank you for the feedback!
Good to know that no one wants to date Alyssa so far because it isn't planned, I was just looking at her and thought she was cute (except for the shark smile), though of course Silver Phoenix is way cuter)
sherberrie wrote:2) Who would you like to date? (unfortunately not all characters are present in the demo, but you can see everyone on the pic here)
I'd definitely want to date the cute AI girl!
That's cool :wink: What appearance did you choose for her?
sherberrie wrote:5) Should I add more sound effects?
I'd love to hear cool fighting noises for the arena part!
I definitely plan to add more sound effects for the battle part)
sherberrie wrote:6) Any bugs/typos? *I hope noone will notice them*
Nope! But... it's written no one, not noone. ;)
Haha, then it's good I'm not the one doing the writing)))
Godline wrote:1) Did you like the demo? Would you be interested in playing the whole game? If yes, considering it's BxG/B I'm curious what gender you are (of course you're free not to answer)

Yes. You know what gender I am. :)
Well, you've never actually told me anything, so I can only make assumptions :lol:

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

#5 Post by Reikun »

The demo was alright. It took me the whole thing to form an opinion on each of the characters (Alex, Alyssa, and Silver Phoenix). I think it would be better if (at the very least) the MC had more obvious character motivations. Is he actually interested in his studies, for instance, or is he simply doing the work to get a career/job? For a character like Alex, who starts off the game w/ a gf and is already in law school, I think it would be good to define his personality a bit more
though I did like his hot-headedness at the end of the demo...
I'd be interested in playing the full game if Silver Phoenix is dateable
SILVER PHOENIX. Hands down. I don't actually like him but I think his dynamic with Alex would be interesting.
Nah. She'll be jealous of MC when he hooks up with Silver Pheonix /punched
The music... felt a bit too forceful (especially for the intro scene). It stood out a lot to me, rather than worked in harmony with everything else. The music during the tournament bit and the scene afterwards was alright though.
SFX during the fighting parts would help since it's a lot of description over the same image (also maybe do those bits in NVL mode?)
No bugs but Alyssa's face expression changes were very distracting since the size of her features would shift (particularly obvious with the angry expression). I'm wondering if this is an issue with how the faces were exported or if it's with the artwork itself. It's very distracting that her eyes/nose would scale up/down as her face changed....

Anyway, good job to the team on the demo. Good luck with the rest of the project :)
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

Katta
Veteran

#6 Post by Katta »

Thank you!
Reikun wrote:No bugs but Alyssa's face expression changes were very distracting since the size of her features would shift (particularly obvious with the angry expression). I'm wondering if this is an issue with how the faces were exported or if it's with the artwork itself. It's very distracting that her eyes/nose would scale up/down as her face changed....
Yes, I know what you mean, it looks like the artist redraw the whole face for each of the expressions, so can't do anything with that, sorry( Idk why but sometimes even the shadows on clothes seem to move from expression to expression.

As for the NVL, hmm, I feel it kinda breaks the flow if some text is NVL and some not, so it can't really be used just for the long junks of text, and I'm afraid there're a lot of those to come with even less happening on screen(

Indiiea
Tumblr: indiiea

#7 Post by Indiiea »

I'm interested! I was really getting into it when it suddenly ended *sad tear* The demo didn't show how it would all play out (ended when it just got started!) and I'm quite curious what will happen next, since you didn't get to know what the main storyline would be.

I'd really like to know more about the other characters personality and stories before I answer this.

I'm intrigued by the BL romance, since I often tend to pick same-sex romances in games when it's possible.

I agree with an poster above that the virtual girl could be an intresting storyline.

I do like Silver Pheonix looks and intro and thought he'd be nice as a date-able character, though his apparent groupie ways turned me off a little bit. Still, I must play more of the game before I decide, haha! It would be cool for Alex to meet him IRL.

Alex and Alyssa are "opposites attract" gone wrong. They're not good for each other and they don't understand each other, and it's presented in a way in which I don't want to see it work out. So, to answer your question: no.

Played with quite low volume. Thought the arena music fit well, captured the energy there! Might mix it up a little when it's playing for a longer time with something like what's written in 5).

I agree with the comments about the fight scene. Something like a clash sound, and maybe show something like flashes and cutouts of the characters fighting. Or that might be hard to add?

My eyes tend to glance over typos when playing if it is not to obvious, and it's almost 3 a.m. where I am. So I didn't actually focus a lot on the spelling while playing, sorry ^^. At least I didn't see any glaring errors?

BTW, the start screen, menus and UI look fantastic and fits the game well. Both it and the enviroments in the virtual world kind of reminds me of DMMd, haha.

Bianchii
Regular

#8 Post by Bianchii »

Yes, yes and I'm a girl!

Silver Phoenix duh xD I'm a sucker for rival romances

Heck no, if anything stealing Silver Phoenix from her would be even more interesting

Amazing music! It fits the game perfectly!

If you want to. I think it's ok but even good things can be improved. Maybe for button pushing or for the fights (flame sounds, lightning sounds, etc)

None that I noticed.

I LOVED IT AND WANT TO PLAY IT RIGHT NAU FDHSJKFG

Katta
Veteran

#9 Post by Katta »

Bianchii wrote:I LOVED IT AND WANT TO PLAY IT RIGHT NAU FDHSJKFG
I would so love to release it right now, but unfortunately it can't be done(

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#10 Post by Lesleigh63 »

The artwork drew me to this. I really like the realistic style and Silver Pheonix is gorgeous. I found I really liked the writing style as I started playing as well (concise without be wordy).

Yes, I like the concept and I like the look of Silver Pheonix. I don't mind BxB and I'm a girl.

Silver Pheonix (although I hope he becomes a little nicer).

Can't stand her.

Have to admit I can't remember to tell you.

I thought the cheering worked well, but again it's something I don't really notice.

I think there was one very small one, but sorry I can't remember where it was.

Nice looking VN.

saruri
Regular

#11 Post by saruri »

YES (please, please, please COMPLETE IT!!!!!!), I'm a female (fujoshi) - so your "BxB" is the reason that I tried out this game~

The two handsomes in the middle, of course~! But, after playing the demo, I now hate one of them, Silver Phoenix......OTL He makes me feel angry on behalf of protagonist! Argh!!!

Hell NO!!!!!! I hate her so very much!!!

GOOD.

Erm, I don't really care about it, as I'm more into the story. But it'll be nice to have them, I guess - like your cheering, it's very good!

Didn't notice any.

Your demo's ending left me a very big heartache, ToT... Ohh, why stop there?! MORE, PLEASE!!!!!! (big pleading eyes)

P.S. Btw, about Silver Phoenix, I'm very surprised to how his meeting with the protagonist went, because I thought the one catching his attention (from the start - Arena) was protagonist! But then, it turn-out to be that Alyssa instead?!! =口=! I'm so very shocked......OTZ

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by philip »

@Katta-

Downloaded this and went through it a while ago; just noticed that I had not made a post in this thread. Here are the answers to your questions:

I did like the demo, and would certainly play the whole game. I'm a guy.

Don't know who I might like to date; will just have to see how the characters develop in the full story.

Alyssa comes off as egotistical, self centered and nasty . . . does that answer your question?

I must admit that I had to go back and reopen the story just now to answer this, I hadn't been paying much attention to stuff in the background. Music in the library is fine . . . I will add that when I am engrossed in the story, I don't notice the music unless it is annoying and distracting me from the story.

Good sound effects add to a good story; I find the ones so far to be well suited.

6) Any bugs/typos? *I hope no one will notice them*
Hmmm . . . I'm usually very aware of typos, and I didn't notice any on any of my playthroughs. And the story progressed smoothly for me on my mac, so apparently there are no obvious bugs.

Hope that these answers are of some help to you. What I have seen so far is very good, and I'll impatiently wait for the release of the full game.

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

Katta
Veteran

#13 Post by Katta »

philip wrote: I did like the demo, and would certainly play the whole game. I'm a guy.philip
Thank you for the answers! I'm glad that guys too are interested in the project because I personally feel that it's more on the feminine side despite the male protagonist.
philip wrote: 4) What do you think about music? Is the library track too boring/repetitive or good?
I must admit that I had to go back and reopen the story just now to answer this, I hadn't been paying much attention to stuff in the background. Music in the library is fine . . . I will add that when I am engrossed in the story, I don't notice the music unless it is annoying and distracting me from the story.
Yes, that was mostly what I was checking.

saruri
Regular

#14 Post by saruri »

Hi Katta, just wondering if your Virtuality would be finished soon? I can't get it off my mind since I played your Demo, T . T~

Oh, how I wish to play the full version soon! (pray)

Katta
Veteran

#15 Post by Katta »

Glad that you're interested but unfortunately I don't have any good news for you. One of the main routes hopefully will be finished soon, but there're two of them planned and the second one isn't started. I wonder if I should consider releasing first route separately, it definitely has enough content for that with 6 possible endings and 75+k text.