Bloom (Dark-Fantasy / Mystery / Semi-Romance)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
yaelso
Projects: From the Sugar Plum Kingdom
Tumblr: yaelso
Deviantart: yaelso
itch: yaelso

Bloom (Dark-Fantasy / Mystery / Semi-Romance)

#1 Post by yaelso »

last update: 9 / 7 / 2015
Image INTRODUCTION Image
Genre: Dark-Fantasy / Mystery / Optional Romance
Commercial / Non-Commercial
In the dimming heat of summer, young half-witch Mirele finds herself on a blurred cross-country train trip to escape the rising tides of anti-magic whispers.
There hasn't exactly ever been a time without magic-- the foundations of the country of Lent are bricked in fantastical origin and have thrived as such for a mile-long list of cycled generations. Witches first provided safety to mortals while the latter and more dominate of the pair gifted shelter; an integration between the two societies that serves as the bridge between realms.

However, though this relationship has been passed on for such a lengthy legacy, the moment strange bestial creatures begin to rise and ravage the southern coast, fingers are immediately pointed towards the magic-bearing folk. When subsequent protests begin to spark in Mirele's usually sleepy home-city, it is off to a rosy northern village in which her estranged Aunt resides. Now tasked with apprenticing at her potion shop until things quiet down, it seems that even with a romantic-heart, adjusting to life will be strange. . . Even more so when the twilight disappearances begin.
- - - - - -

Gameplay will consist of using delivery-gal insight to piece together just what on earth is going on in Mirele's new town-- in doing so, the young witch holds the key to public opinion. As more potions are created, stats will raise so as to open new locations, puzzles, and events. Along the way, interact with village life & perhaps befriend one of the many quizzical figures, all of which seem to reside in their own portion of the overall mystery.
Image CHARACTERS Image
mirele amos
Despite having been born and raised in the city-scape, Mirele has always been a romantic; beautiful gardens and long naps in the grass seem to be the only thing that fill her head sometimes. Of course, that has never done her well at school.
--A bit of a head-strong extrovert, she reasons with herself to see the new move as an adventure, rather than leaving the ingrained patterns of familiar childhood behind.
jonni
Mirele's feline familiar, Jonni is the epitome of cliche cat tropes; mischievous & teasing but completely lazy. Having been by each other's side since they were both children, Jonni and their witch seem to be in sync more often than not, be it in thoughts, emotions, or opinions. Unlike Mirele, however, Jonni scorns the thought of leaving their comfortable life behind.
Image FEATURES Image
- Female / Male / NB interests
- Multiple endings
- 1300x720 resolution
- Stat raising & choice-based system
- Money, inventory, grimoire/library, and map system
- Potion making
- Small dress up section
(DEMO) PROGRESS
Script . . . . . . 85%
Sprites . . . . . . 0%
CG . . . . . . 0%
BG . . . . . . 0%
GUI . . . . . . 65%
Programming . . . . . . 15%
Music . . . . . . 100%
ImageImageImage
UPDATES
- 9 / 7 / 2015 . . . . . . thread posted; all gui is mocked, overview is complete, and the intro is fully written-- bg/character designs started
This actually will be the beginning of an estimated ~3 part series! The stories are not direct continuations per se, but they tie together in regards to the universe, themes, and their loose-plot. More details on the following games will come as Bloom's production nears a close. As for now, I figured the concept was a good jab at the whole witch-aesthetic coming up with Halloween. I've really wanted to press the lengths of what I can design/code, so I jumped at the idea of something semi-seasonal! But maybe it's just an excuse to turn everything I touch Hogwarts/Cooking Mama-esque. . .

For the sake of mentioning, this is not my first project! While I have a much larger game-- From the Sugar Plum Kingdom, still in the works, I've fiddled around in my off-time so that I'm at least a tad more confident with my finished projects. That's not to say that I won't run into snags, but I feel pretty mellow!

There is no date currently set for release and I will likely expand on the introduction once the demo is complete, though I deeply appreciate all critiques!
CONTACT
Please bear in mind that all work will be done by one person here-- I'm a full-time student & I may not be able to get back to things immediately!

AntiquedFae
Veteran

Re: Bloom (Dark-Fantasy / Mystery / Semi-Romance)

#2 Post by AntiquedFae »

I just need to say, this combines so many things I love. Mystery? Potion-making? Nature? Stats? Dress-up? Yes, yes, yes! And that romance is optional is nice too. I will definitely be watching this to see where it goes.
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

Fox Lee
Veteran
Completed: Where Ages Go [NaNo2015]
Projects: Swan x Swan [YuriJam/NaNo16], ♥ON, Guilded Age
Organization: Invincible Ink
Deviantart: foxlee
itch: foxlee

#3 Post by Fox Lee »

Looks adorable, and sounds really interesting! I love the GUI mockups, looks like a really promising design. Good on you for including an NB love interest too, there need to be more of those.
Fox Lee: The Girl Your Mother Warned You About
CleanDirtyFurryPro

Feral Phoenix
Regular
Completed: Uncommon Time, The Witch-in-Training and the Magic Seal, Refinery
Projects: The Sullen Boku Girls Alliance
Tumblr: dialoguelostloop
itch: feralphoenix

#4 Post by Feral Phoenix »

Good luck! Doing everything yourself's really tough, but hang in there!

This looks like it'll be pretty neat when it's done (yay, multiple genders to pursue!), so I'll be checking up on your progress in the future!
My Games Hub Page
Original
Uncommon Time (RPG Maker VX Ace) | Refinery (Ren'Py) | The Sullen Boku Girls Alliance (RPG Maker VX Ace)
Collab
The Witch-in-Training and the Magic Seal (RPG Maker VX Ace - illustration, English translation)
Translated
Tragic Muppets (RPG Maker VX Ace) | The Gaol of Eternity (RPG Maker XP) | I Wished For (RPG Maker VX Ace) | Gathering the Magic (RPG Maker VX Ace) | Rainy Drop (RPG Maker VX Ace)

Pick_One
Regular

#5 Post by Pick_One »

I get an overall feeling of warmth and a bit coziness from what you have shown so far, which I like. :) The logo looks very nice. I do like mystery and I'm curious about what's this whole twilight disappearance is about. The story and gameplay sounds interesting. I like the contrast between the two characters' feelings on leaving behind their once comfortable life. The GUI looks nice so far, it fits the feeling of the game and story. ^_^