Pokémon Academy Life (Fan Game) [Demo v1.0.2c]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Jae
Regular
Projects: Pokémon Academy Life

Re: Pokémon Academy Life (Fan Game) [12/13/15 Prologue Demo]

#76 Post by Jae »

Little scene teaser. Don't click if you want no hints whatsover.

Jae
Regular

#77 Post by Jae »

Lots of work's been going into this project. Still shooting for a February release of the next public update.

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: To Weave A Thread
Organization: UNICORSITY
Tumblr: unicorsity
itch: namio

#78 Post by Ghost of Crux »

I was initially VERY interested because 1) I am a huge fan of Pokemon, and 2) I am a HUGE fan of PokeSpe, and 3) HOLY SHIT THAT CAST. I am surprised you went that far, honestly, but I am pleased. Falkner is there.

I'm downloading the demo right now, so I'll be back to post some feedback probably. Gotta love that Blue screenshot, though. It's beautiful.
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Become a patron on my Patreon!

lath

#79 Post by lath »

Well, hello baby!

Consider yourself supported. Morally. From a distance.

Good luck

camisteja
Regular

#80 Post by camisteja »

So, uh, I'm curious; will there be rivals on certain romantic routes? For example: Brendan is your rival for May or Silver is your rival for Lyra.

Jae
Regular

Re: Pokémon Academy Life (Fan Game) [2/29/16 Demo v1.0.2]

#81 Post by Jae »

DEMO VERSION 1.0.2 IS LIVE!

Download link »» bit.ly/1Q8tE1S

Pokémon Academy Life (visual novel) - DEMO VERSION 1.0.2 NOTES

IMPORTANT:
For those who have previous demo versions installed, you must start over from the beginning of the game in order to play this demo in full. Many internal variables were changed, added or removed, impacting many parts of the game. If you attempt to load an old save file, it is highly likely you will encounter bugs or your game will crash.

Plus, we rewrote some parts of the prologue section so you might as well take another ride through it!

There is no doubt that there will be some kind of bug or inconsistency somewhere in the game. If you spot anything, report it to pokemonvisualdev@gmail.com. Your assistance is much appreciated!

VERSION NOTES:

List of changes from 1.0.1c:
- Many prologue scenes were rewritten.
- One new scene added to the prologue.
- Several prologue scenes were overhauled or extended.
- Numerous animation transitions fixed; some may still exist.
- Various GUI elements streamlined.

New content in 1.0.2:
- New scenes that carry on through the first day of classes.
- New characters and CG art implemented.
- Huge number of alternate dialogue paths based on choices.

CLOSING WORDS:
Thanks to everyone who have offered their support. Knowing there are quite literally thousands of you out there wishing us the best keeps us going. While a single linear playthrough in this version might not last more than three hours or so depending on your reading speed, there is an insane number of different side-routes you can take. The game is still in its infancy, believe it or not, and we just managed to finish setting the foundation.

From this point forward, we will be going all-out in terms of writing for plot and story progression. Engines are also being developed to add depth to the game. The next version may take a while for release so in the meantime, play the crap out of this version, report all the bugs you encounter if you can (we'll try to implement the fixes when we can and put out a cleaned up version when possible), and stay tuned for more news.

Updated screenshots:
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Moon20
Regular

#82 Post by Moon20 »

Finally are the demo released, I have waited long time for to play the demo.
I'm going to play the demo right away when I'm coming back home to Vikersund since I have been visit my grandparents and shall home today.

lunacy
Tumblr: soultrainer13

#83 Post by lunacy »

Uh question will this game ever have female protagonist or is red the only main character

Jae
Regular

#84 Post by Jae »

lunacy wrote:Uh question will this game ever have female protagonist or is red the only main character
No female player character. We don't have the bandwidth to basically double our workload.

A female player character will mean twice the dialogue, completely different set of roommates, and completely new sets of routes.

Poyox4

#85 Post by Poyox4 »

Jae wrote:
lunacy wrote:Uh question will this game ever have female protagonist or is red the only main character
No female player character. We don't have the bandwidth to basically double our workload.

A female player character will mean twice the dialogue, completely different set of roommates, and completely new sets of routes.
I know that the game is still in progress, but is there any hope of there being a girl version of Pokemon Academy Life? One of the trademarks of the Pokemon series is that you can play as a male or a female, so it would be disappointing (at least for the heterosexual female Pokemon fanbase out there) if a girl version wasn't made available. I'm not asking you to work on it now obviously, but it's something to think about for the future.

Jae
Regular

#86 Post by Jae »

Poyox4 wrote:
Jae wrote:

I know that the game is still in progress, but is there any hope of there being a girl version of Pokemon Academy Life? One of the trademarks of the Pokemon series is that you can play as a male or a female, so it would be disappointing (at least for the heterosexual female Pokemon fanbase out there) if a girl version wasn't made available. I'm not asking you to work on it now obviously, but it's something to think about for the future.
It will quite literally be the last thing on the backburner.

In essence, for us that is the equivalent of remaking the entire game. Redo ALL the dialogue. Redo ALL the routes. Redo ALL the animations and scenes. We can't even fathom it right now.

It's a cinch for the official games. Why? The protagonist doesn't talk and both the male and female characters are blank cardboards. The story doesn't change with which gender you pick. You meet the same people and do the same things. That's not the case here.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#87 Post by Zelan »

Poyox4 wrote:
Jae wrote:

Speaking as a heterosexual female Pokémon fan, I honestly don't care if I'm playing as a dude or a girl. :P

I understand if playing as the opposite gender makes some people feel uncomfortable, and of course you are entitled to not play the game if you choose. However, remember that the main character isn't supposed to represent you - it represents Red. Would you read a book where the main protagonist is a guy? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you probably would. Visual novels are similar to books in may ways. ^_^

TL;DR, The main character doesn't represent you, but it's your choice whether or not to play. c:

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#88 Post by MimirollCookie »

Played the demo. Seems like an interesting game!
"If they can do it, you can do it too! make them do it. They can do it, right?" :lol:
Getting a new laptop. Hopefully going back to VN making! (BWAHAHA)

Jae
Regular

#89 Post by Jae »

Can't believe it's been six months since development started.

Still a long road ahead. Have to thank everyone who's been supporting us along the way.

As a reminder, we're still looking for experienced writers to help with progressing the game's plot. There's just so much writing involved, it's going to take a really long time for just one person. If you or anyone you know who's interested in the Pokémon franchise, please see here for more information: http://bit.ly/PALwriting

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#90 Post by Zelan »

YOOOOOOOO THE GAME GRUMPS ARE PLAYING THIS! (warning for mature language up the wazoo):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUzh6DQlS8E