Pokémon Academy Life (Fan Game) [Demo v1.0.2c]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Jae
Regular
Projects: Pokémon Academy Life

Pokémon Academy Life (Fan Game) [Demo v1.0.2c]

#1 Post by Jae »

Literally thought about doing this one random afternoon on Sept. 13, 2015. I don't really see any "high" quality fan-made Pokémon visual novels or sims based around the game characters.

Went home. Did a little research. Downloaded Ren'Py for the first time (never heard of it before). Never used Python at any point in my life. Zero coding knowledge coming in (takes me forever just to format some custom HTML for emails). Anyway... just an idea. Diligently working on this daily.

Game made by a fan for existing fans.

WE ARE LOOKING FOR MORE WRITERS! - http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 58#p406258

Next update preview:

CURRENT DEMO v1.0.2c:
DOWNLOAD PAGE (Win/Mac/Linux).
***see updates***

NOTES:
Relatively big file, but it's mostly due to all the archived images.

IMPORTANT:
For those who have previous demo versions installed, you must start over from the beginning of the game in order to play this demo in full. Many internal variables were changed, added or removed, impacting many parts of the game. If you attempt to load an old save file, it is highly likely you will encounter bugs or your game will crash.

Plus, we rewrote some parts of the prologue section so you might as well take another ride through it!

There is no doubt that there will be some kind of bug or inconsistency somewhere in the game. If you spot anything, report it to pokemonvisualdev@gmail.com. Your assistance is much appreciated!

VERSION NOTES:

List of changes from 1.0.1c:
- Many prologue scenes were rewritten.
- One new scene added to the prologue.
- Several prologue scenes were overhauled or extended.
- Numerous animation transitions fixed; some may still exist.
- Various GUI elements streamlined.

New content in 1.0.2:
- New scenes that carry on through the first day of classes.
- New characters and CG art implemented.
- Huge number of alternate dialogue paths based on choices.

* Not all characters included in the image.

The protagonist is a player character based on a teenage Red and the game will predominantly be played and narrated from his perspective. At the start of the game, the player gets off the bus after a long journey from Pallet Town to the Kobukan region (pronounced koh-BU-khan). He faces the entrance of Relic Hall, one of the dormitories of Kobukan Academy.

Pokémon Academy Life is a fan-created visual novel currently in development by Pokémon Visual. It will feature numerous in-game characters from the core series Pokémon games in a high school setting.

Pokémon Academy Life is set in an alternate Pokémon universe where children are not expected to depart on unsupervised journeys with their Pokémon. Instead, they go through similar youthful days as modern-day people; they attend school, they sleep at home, they socialize with friends in their hometown, and so on.

After the prologue, the story revolves around the player living out the three years Red is enrolled in the academy, interacting with the numerous characters that can appear during this time.

Sample Screenshots:
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

Pokémon Academy Life is a social simulation game centered around slice of life concepts. As the setting is a school environment, the player will be able to participate in class events, extracurricular activities, as well as real-world activities. Throughout the game, outcomes are dictated by the player's choices, with some decision results unapparent until much later in the game.
The game also features a simple traits system: Expression, Intuition, Appeal and Talent. Players can increase or decrease each trait's level through conversations or events. Traits are designed to aid the player's ability to navigate conversations (such as choosing a response best suited for the situation) or assist in connecting with another character.
  • 1. Expression - Expression gives you more choices under different situations, such as conversing with other people or making an important decision. You will also get along slightly better with all individuals you meet.
    2. Intuition - Intuition helps guide you through challenges or tasks you take on, in addition to conversations with people you meet. You will also get along more with individuals who prefer wit, knowledge and logic.
    3. Appeal - Appeal makes other people more forgiving of your mistakes and simultaneously makes it easier for you to impress them. You will also get along more with individuals who prefer looks, charm and personality.
    4. Talent - Talent makes you efficient by reducing requirements for certain tasks and giving you a little bit of extra luck. You will also get along more with individuals who value skills and competence.
While the player can technically play at his/her pace, there are set days in the school calendar. Some events are scripted and require players to interact with characters (trigger flags) before certain points in time. Failing to do so may delay future events, character introductions, or outright change the course of the story.

Production
toriko09
VisualJae
zygarde

Storyboard and development
VisualJae

Lead writer & character designer
dmjh93

Additional writing by
BluechanXD
VisualJae

Background artist
moonmachine

Additional art by
Gato Hayakawa
mark331
Saitoki

Calendar system template by Zetsubou
Programmed with Ren'Py
Music by Braxton Burks (Pokémon Reorchestrated)
Original music composed by Junichi Masuda & Go Ichinose

Always open to more help.

1. How many characters will be featured?
A lot. You can scroll up to the characters section that features a montage with the extensive cast (note: not all characters are featured).

2. Why is Blue not named Green?
Since this game is directed toward an English-speaking audience, we're going with his official English name (i.e. how he's represented in the English versions of Gold, Silver, Crystal, their remakes, and in Black 2 and White 2's Pokémon World Tournament). Fun fact: we originally had him as Green in our character outlines.

3. Then why is Leaf not Green?
Again, we're going with English names. Considering her character doesn't have an official name and her commonly accepted fan-name is "Leaf" (even in Japanese where her name is based off "Rifu" a.k.a. "Leaf"), that's what we went with. It also helps that Leaf is one of her default names in FireRed/LeafGreen.

4. Will there be a female playable character?
Not for now. Creating a female playable character effectively doubles all of our work. We'd have to do a female POV version of all the dialogue and scenes. Perhaps after the game is 100% complete, we can revisit this. And yes, doing so would basically turn this visual novel into an otome game.

5. How many endings will there be?
This one is a little more difficult to answer because we haven't finished writing all of them yet. But there will be at least two endings per main female character ("heroine"). There will be other closures for individual character arcs that will not end the game. For example, some character arcs may end in the first or second year, but the player can continue to play through the third year. We have a few non-romance related endings planned out as well, for the players who aren't interested in the romance aspects.

6. Will there be Pokémon catching and battling?
We intend to develop a simple battling system at the very least. Catching may be a different matter because the main setting is in a school environment. To incorporate the opportunities to go out and catch Pokémon may pose issues with scheduling. It's something we would like to keep in mind and try to implement if possible. If not, we'll find another method to diversify the Pokémon options.

7. Will I be able to visit the different regions (e.g. Kanto, Johto, etc.)?
Yes. Many character arcs will involve traveling at some point or another to the regions we know and love.

8. It seems the game is more focused on relationships with the female cast. Will there be platonic relationships?
We do fully intend on allowing the player to befriend other characters without pursuing romance. In addition, we do plan on allowing the player to shape relationships between the characters themselves. This would mostly be done through individual conversations or group activities with the characters in question.

9. What about male love interests?
Currently that is not in the works. At most the relationship levels will be geared toward "bromance." We're not ruling out the idea, but based on our current roadmap, it is not the priority.

10. When will this game be released?
We have no idea. Not anytime soon.

11. Can I help?
Yes, please. You can comment here, PM me, comment on any of the demo YouTube videos, email pokemonvisualdev@gmail.com, contact me on Twitter, you name it.

Follow all our social media accounts:
Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Twitch
Last edited by Jae on Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:52 am, edited 103 times in total.

Jae
Regular

Re: Temp: Pokémon Academy Life [School Life][Drama][Romance]

#2 Post by Jae »

Holding this spot to post updates and thoughts:

February 2016 updates:
All 1.0.2 backgrounds complete
ALL CHARACTER ART COMPLETE
DEMO VERSION 1.0.2 LIVE

January 2016 updates:
All existing dialogue revised
Wally, Lyra, Nate, Rosa, Oak, Birch, Sycamore sprites complete
Additional staff character sprites complete
New prologue scenes added

December 2015 changes:
Prologue demo v1.01c launched
Introduction cutscene complete
Ethan, Lucas, Dawn, Barry, Candice, Maylene, Clemont, Erika, Korrina, Yellow sprites complete
Added text history log (WIP)
GUI overhauled again
Dialogue revision in progress

November 2015 changes:
All prologue background updates complete
First day transition scenes complete
Hilbert, Hilda, Bianca, Silver, Kris, Jasmine, Falkner, Gardenia, Janine sprites complete
Title menu update complete
First day transition scenes complete
Introduction scenes for Hilbert, Hilda, Bianca complete
Introduction cutscene 86% complete

October 2015 changes:
Roommates booking scenes complete
Roommates orientation scenes complete
Class selection scene complete
All existing sprite art overhauled
New sprites for Leaf, Sabrina, Flannery, Skyla, Whitney, Brock, Roxanne, Brawly
Receptionist character replaced and art updated
Calendar system added
Lots and lots and lots and lots of bug fixes

September 2015 changes:
Menu updated, Quick menu updated, Splash screen updated, Yes/No menus updated
Stats system developed, Stats GUI developed
Character encyclopedia developed
Affection points system developed
Super early alpha battle system developed
Misty intro scenario done, Serena intro scenario complete
Roommates selection scenes complete
Post-selection scenes complete
Miscellaneous bug fixes

Last edited by Jae on Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:41 am, edited 66 times in total.

Zino
Regular
Projects: Prisoners of Snow
Tumblr: prisonersofsnow
Deviantart: zinoman

Re: Fan game: Pokémon Academy Life [School Life][Drama][Roma

#3 Post by Zino »

This looks surprisingly good (the video) even though it's still using the official art and stuff. But writing was pretty funny and I liked it. So you're using the characters from the games? That Red's sprite confuses me a little since it's obviously based on his manga design but the rest of the cast seems to be from the games, as well as the GUI and stuff. If you are going with the game characters I look forward to seeing what kind of personalities you're gonna give to them as the mcs in pokemon games usually lack it as they do not speak (unless you use their 'rival' personality). Also I'm hoping the game will include Lucas as he's my absolute fav pokeboy. : D But anyway, I'll be stalking this thread for now on!

Jae
Regular

#4 Post by Jae »

Yeah, the personalities part I think will be the most fun. I'd like to try and make them as relatable as possible.

As for Red's art, I do have an alternate style more similar to the game. I'm working with the artist to make him look a little more mature because he still looks like a bratty 10-year-old right now :P
Last edited by Jae on Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darim
Regular
Organization: Setsuna Ken
Github: SetsunaKen

#5 Post by Darim »

Looks really good!

However Nintendo shuts down fan games regularly. I hope they will tolerate this one :)

Jae
Regular

#6 Post by Jae »

Darim wrote:Looks really good!

However Nintendo shuts down fan games regularly. I hope they will tolerate this one :)
Thanks. Still working on it while I'm responding here :D

Twitch Dates Pokemon is alive so... I don't see why this won't fit the same condition. You never know, though.

Jae
Regular

#7 Post by Jae »

Updated art for jerkface (Blue? Green?).

ChillTaco
Regular

#8 Post by ChillTaco »

I will play this, if it gives me the option to call Blue the name Gary or Buttcheeks

Jae
Regular

#9 Post by Jae »

ChillTaco wrote:I will play this, if it gives me the option to call Blue the name Gary or Buttcheeks
If it's highly demanded, I can make it happen :P

But then it might open a whole can of worms of people wanting to rename every character...

Shinoki
Veteran
Completed: tender feelings like water, Follower A, Moon Archer Shooting Stars, Heart's Blight, from that moment she neglected the world
Projects: Pomegranate Fruit
itch: 4noki

#10 Post by Shinoki »

This looks really interesting. It looks good so far. I can't say anything much about the art yet since it's clear that you probably don't have everything down, but it's nice looking.
I'm just going to say that, while references and lots of characters is a nice thing, it might cause an overload that causes people to edge away from the game's enjoyment. Not everyone has played all generations and etc.
(On the other hand, I really love Cynthia, so Cynthia yay~~)

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Starlight Dreamers, Mysterious Melody, Town of Memories, Marked, To Fly, The Change, Him From The Past, A Forgotten Memory
Projects: Cafe Mysteria

#11 Post by AsHLeX »

This looks interesting! Keeping an eye out for this one.
New demo out 24/12/23!!

Jae
Regular

#12 Post by Jae »

Demo stuff:

Current state of the game is mostly just dialogue and making choices during conversation. Then followed by lines of text and text and more dialogue. Pretty linear. Nothing crazy yet. It's been five days since I thought about the project and actually sat down to work on it. Five days of learning Python! Coding is pretty fun.

This game is obviously directed toward people who are familiar with the Pokemon franchise. However, it'll be helpful to hear from the "newcomer" group's perspective.

Some particular things I'd like to know:

1. If you experience video lag for the splashscreen and/or the initial disclaimer message. I want to know if this just happens on my end or if it's a common problem.
2. Spelling mistakes. Let me know. I hate them. I will fix.
3. Suggestions on how to make stats mini-menu easier to access. Right now a first-time player should have no idea how to access it other than accidentally.
4. Misc. feedback on your mind.

THANK YOU!
Last edited by Jae on Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChillTaco
Regular

#13 Post by ChillTaco »

No, ignore the others. Everyone knows only Blue deserves to be named something stupid.

Hoosha
Regular

#14 Post by Hoosha »

will there be......

:twisted: YAOI?!?!?!1

Jae
Regular

#15 Post by Jae »

^ Unfortunately for some, nope.

Can't rule out old-fashioned bromance, though.