Pokémon Academy Life (Fan Game) [Demo v1.0.2c]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Jae
Regular
Projects: Pokémon Academy Life

Re: Pokémon Academy Life (Fan Game) [WIP - 10/16/15 Update]

#46 Post by Jae »

Thanks for looking into it!

Right now the demo provided here is horrifically outdated. There have been so many changes since then. I'm hoping to push out an updated one covering the entirety of the prologue by the end of November (hopefully earlier).

Most of my time right now is going into the transition between the prologue and the first day of classes while I'm waiting for the artists to finish up their batches of work.
sakurakimuchi wrote:Wow this is brilliant! I just wish the romance options would include BxB because I don't usually like BxG and I would love to pursue Blue (Red and Blue would be my OTP lol), but nevermind that I'll play this game regardless of that.
Yeah, this has come up quite a few times, but I don't think I will be dedicating the resources to that anytime soon. I'm already cutting out numerous characters for the sake of reducing filler material, though the count still stands in the 80s (however in each playthrough you will not come close to discovering all the characters unless you go out of your way to hunt every single one down, which will cost you in other aspects of the game).

Anyway, as for gameplay other than BxG, I do fully intend on implementing non-romance routes, pure friendship-based ones, and more standard/ambiguous options as possible endings.

Jae
Regular

Re: Pokémon Academy Life (Fan Game) [WIP - 10/26/15 Update]

#47 Post by Jae »

Some updates on art and stuff.

Since the BG artist didn't provide night versions, I have to manually go through each one and filter them on my own :?

Also the transition cutscene after the prologue is eating up quite some time, but it's about 50% done.

Video is about 1:40 with matching music, so it's turning out pretty well. Just waiting on final art assets.

Jae
Regular

Re: Pokémon Academy Life (Fan Game) [WIP - 10/26/15 Update]

#48 Post by Jae »

Gotta hand it to this artist (Saitoki) for doing an amazing job incorporating two different styles (from the character artist and the background artist) and coming up with this CG.

Image + Image

= Image

As for other updates:

My character artist is currently assisting with a redesigned main menu, which should be completed before this Wednesday. After that he will be focused on completing the Gen. V main characters (Hilbert, Hilda, etc.) before tending to the main Gen. II characters (Ethan, Silver, Kris).

During that time, the background artist should be finishing the remaining updates to the prologue. As soon as that's completed and I compile the new assets, I can officially declare the prologue done (excluding miscellaneous insignificant tweaks and adjustments in the future).

I'm personally dedicating most of the effort on transitioning the various character routes from the prologue to a more universal opening for the main game.

The prologue's demo is still set to be released by the end of November. But again, it is the prologue so it's more about getting to know the setting more than diving straight into plot and character growth.

I will be traveling for the next four days so there won't be development on my end. Artists will still be working, though.

Jae
Regular

Re: Pokémon Academy Life (Fan Game) [WIP - 11/4/15 Update]

#49 Post by Jae »

Long time coming, but the title menu has finally been updated. Gahhhh.

Last edited by Jae on Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

cath-mg
Regular
Projects: Ashworth's Last Princess (Resigned), Kokorogawari
Organization: Precatio彡
Tumblr: cath-mg
Github: cath-mg

#50 Post by cath-mg »

This looks like a really interesting game! I love the art style (the backgrounds are so pretty and I'm in love with the GUI!!) and the overall feels of the game. Really looking forward to see the interaction between characters, the battles, and the school activities! Will be waiting for a demo to come out :D

AsHLeX
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Starlight Dreamers, Mysterious Melody, Town of Memories, Marked, To Fly, The Change, Him From The Past, A Forgotten Memory
Projects: Cafe Mysteria

#51 Post by AsHLeX »

Woah, nice!!! :D
New demo out 24/12/23!!

Jae
Regular

#52 Post by Jae »

Thanks for the encouraging compliments!
cath-mg wrote:Really looking forward to see the interaction between characters, the battles, and the school activities! Will be waiting for a demo to come out :D
24 characters have been completed so far. It's getting to the point where it's interesting to start thinking about how characters who have never encountered one another (in existing media) would interact with each other.

Speaking of completed characters, the main Generation V characters are done (Hilbert, Hilda and Bianca are new; Cheren was completed long ago).

Jae
Regular

Re: Pokémon Academy Life (Fan Game) [WIP - 11/9/15 Update]

#53 Post by Jae »

Transition scene after the prologue is complete.

Some new character art done (Silver, Kris, Jasmine; Ethan currently in limbo).
ImageImage

Waiting on one more updated background for the prologue.

Now just prepping for the next demo release.

Jae
Regular

Re: Pokémon Academy Life (Fan Game) [WIP - 11/16/15 Update]

#54 Post by Jae »

Demo/preview could be ready anytime, but I'd like to squeeze some more art assets into it before releasing.

So while I can release it now, I might push it until the first week or so of December instead and get rid of all existing placeholders. Because after this prologue section is done, the rest will be mostly writing updates.

Jae
Regular

Re: Pokémon Academy Life (Fan Game) [WIP - 12/3/15 Update]

#55 Post by Jae »

Ahhhh, added a little development vlog.

Prologue demo should be ready this week. Hopefully. Just going through some extra revisions and debugging.

Been quite a few updates since the last time I posted here.

- Additional character art done:

ImageImageImageImage

- All the existing prologue backgrounds (plus couple more beyond those) have been updated so there are no placeholders left there. Sample screenshot:

- Added a text history box (WIP), overhauled GUI (...again), revising a lot of dialogue. Those should be covered in the video.

Progress is moving fairly fast. I think after I push out the prologue demo, it'll mostly just be writing after that. All the student sprites are nearly complete (only missing 10 more) and after that the artist will be working on the staff. Background and CG art will come in as they're completed. I will also start implementing some Pokemon sprites after the next batch of writing is drafted up.

Moon20
Regular

#56 Post by Moon20 »

Thank you very much for to make a Pokemon VN game, I have always dreamt to play Pokemon VN game since I have only played normal Pokemon Games.
So finnaly have my dream come true, thank to you.
I really love the artwork, Background and the chatacther very much, you really did very good work with it.
I have some question.

1. How long Would the game be?
2. Would Ash be in the game?

I'm really looking forward to playable demo very much.

Jae
Regular

#57 Post by Jae »

1. Game spans three years. Whether that's 6, 12, or 20 hours that's hard to say.

2. No. There is no way he'd fit here at all.

Moon20
Regular

#58 Post by Moon20 »

Thats to bad too hear since Ash it's my favorite chatacther but I'm going to play the playable demo anyway.

Jae
Regular

#59 Post by Jae »

Originally, the anime writers based him on Red's in-game character anyway, so you could always name him that way. I know the earliest demo I put out there were people who did that.

coffin-tan

#60 Post by coffin-tan »

Looks interesting! I've always loved the concept of a Pokemon vn, I hope you get to finish it xD