Lilycal Laika [GxG] [Sci-fi] Demo available! [Yurijam

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
anya.fennec

Lilycal Laika [GxG] [Sci-fi] Demo available! [Yurijam

#1 Post by anya.fennec »

Updated 6/11/2015 - Converted to ren'py and added more content to the demo!
Lilycal Laika Promo resize.png
"Honey, everyone who comes to Industry has issues. That's the kind of place this is, and we're the kind of people attracted to it."
Lilycal Laika is a visual novel set in a Sci-fi universe. The story follows Laika, who ran away from a rogue planet to Industry Colony where she intends to work as a Striker. Industry Colony sits on a planet sprinkled with unknown compounds and bizarre wildlife - a treasure trove of scientific discoveries. The Striker's jobs are to hunt and collect samples from those wildlife for the R&D department. Laika's adventures will be affected by the various people she meets there, each of whom carry their own emotional baggage. That's the kind of people that Industry attracts - people with issues of their own, who desire an escape from their old world into a reckless thrill-seeking life.

Lilycal Laika was originally made for Tyrano Builder's month-long game jam, then continued on for a few weeks into Yurijam. It's still a demo of the first act, but gives a glimpse of what each route would be like. I worked alone on everything except the free license music, so the assets are still rough. Given more time I could polish them up, but this gives a general feel of the project.

Download available at itch.io - http://anyafennec.itch.io/lilycal-laika
Laika
Laika
Laika Lenatta
After living her entire life on a rogue planet with a collapsed government, Laika finally got her escape when the Federation sent an aid convoy.
Mei's Sample Sprites
Mei's Sample Sprites
Mei Macette
One of the Strikers that Laika meets. Hotheaded and rash, which may be exactly what Laika needs.
Kaori's Sample Sprites
Kaori's Sample Sprites
Houjou Kaori
The woman who runs the Lily Guild, where Laika just moved into. She has strong connections to the company that runs Industry, but disagrees with their actions.
Ciel's Sample Sprites
Ciel's Sample Sprites
Ciel Cilantro
Another Striker and Mei's friend. She seems to enjoy some popularity, and may harbor some idol tendencies.
Screen 1
Screen 1
Screen 2
Screen 2
I would really appreciate it if you would play the demo and give me any feedback you can!

I worked on this alone, and I wonder if I should continue to do so. I know that with other people, the end result would be better. With artists, I can get better CGs, backgrounds, sprites etc. With more writers, I would be able to include more routes than if I wrote everything myself. A composer making new music just for the story would lead to a better product than trying to fit existing music.

However I don't have the money to hire anyone, and recruiting partners would be its own can of worms. I'm under no illusion that I could crowdfund anything at this stage either.

But mostly it's a pride issue. I managed to get through the game jam by myself, and a part of me wants to see it through that way. I want to be able to point at this and say "Look, I made all of that (minus music)." I don't have any musical skills whatsoever so I'm not as averse to hiring a composer, but again, money.

Basically: If I go forward alone, would the project be good enough? Would the way I work on backgrounds and other assets (with more polish than the current time-rushed state) be good enough, or will it be a serious distraction for the audience? I do want to be able to sell the end product, since I need to eat and pay rent and stuff.

Thank you for your interest in Lilycal Laika!
Please send feedback to anya [dot] fennec [at] gmail [dot] com.

You can also find me on twitter @anya_fennec https://twitter.com/anya_fennec
Some of my art is posted on pixiv, and that's where the first complete sprites went up too. http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?id=2942608
I have a blog at http://crescentteahouse.com/, and I might use it for updating VN status after I settle on how to handle this project.
Last edited by anya.fennec on Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wererat42
Regular

Re: Lilycal Laika [GxG] [Sci-fi] Demo available!

#2 Post by wererat42 »

Will look at the demo.
Other creators, like ZUN and Ryushiki07 have art that can't be called the most professional looking but make up for it with memorable stories and characters. if you're personally not happy with the art you could probably find someone, but chances are you'll have to open your wallet for anything fancy.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

anya.fennec wrote: I worked on this alone, and I wonder if I should continue to do so. I know that with other people, the end result would be better.

Should you continue working on your demo, and expand it into a complete story? That's a good question, and I can't provide an easy answer. Ask yourself things such as...

* Do I really care about this story? Am I dedicated to letting the world know about its plot and characters?
* Would it be better to move on to another story?
* Do I know anyone in real life (clubs, meetup groups, etc) who would be willing to help? Do I know someone online who can provide assistance?
anya.fennec wrote: Basically: If I go forward alone, would the project be good enough? Would the way I work on backgrounds and other assets (with more polish than the current time-rushed state) be good enough, or will it be a serious distraction for the audience? I do want to be able to sell the end product, since I need to eat and pay rent and stuff.
Have you created an independent project and sold it? If you've already created an indie comic or game or something, you have an advantage. If not, then make sure to do some research. Don't jump into the world of indie visual novels without learning what challenges creators have faced, and what they're currently worried about.

Be sure to look at the products that independent creators such as Winter Wolves, Moacube, and Hanako Games have made. Ask yourself questions such as "Does this appeal to an audience? If so, who is the target group?" and "Is this being sold as a complex game, or as a story with some interaction?" Then ask yourself similar questions.

Not every story is commercially viable. Some stories can be sold on how they appeal to multiple quadrants. Some stories are difficult to sell because of an audience alienating premise -- a story that's meant to be unsettling, or that doesn't appeal to multiple groups of people.

anya.fennec

#4 Post by anya.fennec »

Sorry for the late reply, was busy with apartment searches and stuff.
wererat42 wrote:Will look at the demo.
Other creators, like ZUN and Ryushiki07 have art that can't be called the most professional looking but make up for it with memorable stories and characters. if you're personally not happy with the art you could probably find someone, but chances are you'll have to open your wallet for anything fancy.
Thanks for the interest! I've been interested in ZUN for a long time, especially how he didn't just have a fanbase but an entire creative ecosystem that's wider than anything else. Pretty amazing how it spans everything from art and doujins to games and a huge music base. He's more of a legendary-far-off-dream role model though, as in it's a tiny chance that I'll ever have a mere fraction of his success.

gekiganwing wrote:
Have you created an independent project and sold it? If you've already created an indie comic or game or something, you have an advantage. If not, then make sure to do some research. Don't jump into the world of indie visual novels without learning what challenges creators have faced, and what they're currently worried about.

Be sure to look at the products that independent creators such as Winter Wolves, Moacube, and Hanako Games have made. Ask yourself questions such as "Does this appeal to an audience? If so, who is the target group?" and "Is this being sold as a complex game, or as a story with some interaction?" Then ask yourself similar questions.

Not every story is commercially viable. Some stories can be sold on how they appeal to multiple quadrants. Some stories are difficult to sell because of an audience alienating premise -- a story that's meant to be unsettling, or that doesn't appeal to multiple groups of people.
Haven't sold anything yet, but I'm working with a professional editor on polishing up one of the novels I wrote. My previous projects mostly involved only writing, which is why I'm uncertain about doing a VN by myself. I'm also working on a comic with my girlfriend with me as the writer, but it was put on hold because of job and apartment searches - we just sorted out RL stuff so we'll be working on it again soon.

I've made peace with the fact that most of the things I work on will be niche, so I'm gambling on those audiences. I have trouble finding stories that hit certain niches I like, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are other people who want this kind of thing. The market's small but hopefully not oversaturated yet.

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by philip »

@anya.fennec-

Just came upon this, downloaded it and played through (twice). It is really interesting, and I was thoroughly enjoying it . . . when . . . it was suddenly over!

You have done a fantastic job, working on your own, and I encourage you to complete it. Your art is just fine, and the story is interesting. I sense a bit of insecurity in your post; please don't let that drag you down; you have done a fantastic job on Act 1, and I will be very disappointed if you do not continue. Don't know if I have offered much encouragement, as I am not that good at putting my thoughts into words, but I am pulling for you and do hope that you will move forward to the completion of this very entertaining project!

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

anya.fennec

#6 Post by anya.fennec »

philip wrote:@anya.fennec-

Just came upon this, downloaded it and played through (twice). It is really interesting, and I was thoroughly enjoying it . . . when . . . it was suddenly over!

You have done a fantastic job, working on your own, and I encourage you to complete it. Your art is just fine, and the story is interesting. I sense a bit of insecurity in your post; please don't let that drag you down; you have done a fantastic job on Act 1, and I will be very disappointed if you do not continue. Don't know if I have offered much encouragement, as I am not that good at putting my thoughts into words, but I am pulling for you and do hope that you will move forward to the completion of this very entertaining project!

philip
Thank you very much! This honestly made me very happy. (I hope you played the updated version that went up last night, the one coded in ren'py and with choices at the end. If you downloaded it way earlier then it would be nice if you would check out the new one too!) You're right, I do have a lot of insecurity and utter lack of self esteem. That saying about artists and mental illnesses is very true for me, heh. Honestly I'm still wondering if it would be better off for me to join a team as a writer, since doing everything alone is a lot of stress and work. But I'm glad that you liked what I managed to create.

cath-mg
Regular
Projects: Ashworth's Last Princess (Resigned), Kokorogawari
Organization: Precatio彡
Tumblr: cath-mg
Github: cath-mg

Re: Lilycal Laika [GxG] [Sci-fi] Demo available! [Yurijam

#7 Post by cath-mg »

While GXG isn't my cup of tea, I think it's amazing of you to be able to release a game by yourself. Working on a whole project by yourself is a good experience to have, and it's something you should be proud of. You should do what you want to do, really. If you want to continue the game then do it! Either way it'a a good opportunity to get the experience and in the future if you want to join another team you can say that you've completed a game by yourself. Good luck! :)

anya.fennec

#8 Post by anya.fennec »

cath-mg wrote:While GXG isn't my cup of tea, I think it's amazing of you to be able to release a game by yourself. Working on a whole project by yourself is a good experience to have, and it's something you should be proud of. You should do what you want to do, really. If you want to continue the game then do it! Either way it'a a good opportunity to get the experience and in the future if you want to join another team you can say that you've completed a game by yourself. Good luck! :)
Thank you! I'll see how I feel about it later, since after rushing for the jam I don't want to touch Laika at all for a while (phrasing, boom). I just heard back from my editor about my first novel, so I'll be working on that for a while.

Skarn
Regular

#9 Post by Skarn »

On Linux (Ubuntu), the first time I tried to launch the game, I got the error:

Code: Select all

UnicodeDecodeError('ascii', 'RoganisP - Madness and Fever - 07 La Premi\xe8re.mp3', 42, 43, 'ordinal not in range(128)')
Most certainly because the file name was not UTF8.

I renamed it to "RoganisP - Madness and Fever - 07 La Première.mp3" (with correct encoding), alongside "RoganisP - Hommage à Kajiura" and "RoganisP - La Mélancolie du Coeur.mp3", and it solved the problem.

Posting it there in case others encounter the same bug.

anya.fennec

#10 Post by anya.fennec »

Skarn wrote:On Linux (Ubuntu), the first time I tried to launch the game, I got the error:

Code: Select all

UnicodeDecodeError('ascii', 'RoganisP - Madness and Fever - 07 La Premi\xe8re.mp3', 42, 43, 'ordinal not in range(128)')
Most certainly because the file name was not UTF8.

I renamed it to "RoganisP - Madness and Fever - 07 La Première.mp3" (with correct encoding), alongside "RoganisP - Hommage à Kajiura" and "RoganisP - La Mélancolie du Coeur.mp3", and it solved the problem.

Posting it there in case others encounter the same bug.
Thanks for letting me know! I didn't get to test the ports out myself on Linux/Mac so I didn't know it would throw an error. I'm not familiar with unicode, could you please tell me how to know when it's not UTF8 and how to change it? Tried searching and all I got was advanced PHP stuff.

Skarn
Regular

#11 Post by Skarn »

It's a little hard to explain, but the accentuated filenames are corrupted on non-Windows operating systems. This looks like this on my computer for reference: http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/458109corruption.jpg

Filename encoding in general is quite a mess, especially in archives on Windows.

Honestly, the simplest way to fix this bug is to rename all (three) files so they have no accent in their name and update the .rpy files accordingly. Easy to do, efficient, will save a lot of hair to everyone (understanding this kind of bug properly can cost a lot of hair to everyone).

anya.fennec

#12 Post by anya.fennec »

Skarn wrote:It's a little hard to explain, but the accentuated filenames are corrupted on non-Windows operating systems. This looks like this on my computer for reference: http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/458109corruption.jpg

Filename encoding in general is quite a mess, especially in archives on Windows.

Honestly, the simplest way to fix this bug is to rename all (three) files so they have no accent in their name and update the .rpy files accordingly. Easy to do, efficient, will save a lot of hair to everyone (understanding this kind of bug properly can cost a lot of hair to everyone).
Thanks, I'll get a fix up. Initially I wanted to keep the filenames the same as whatever was provided, but that quickly became a nightmare. I'll probably rename and reorganize everything eventually.