The Sad Story of Emmeline Burns [YuriJam, Complete]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ebi-hime
Veteran
Completed: Asphyxia, Blackberry Honey, The Language of Love, etc
Tumblr: ebi-hime
itch: ebihime

The Sad Story of Emmeline Burns [YuriJam, Complete]

#1 Post by ebi-hime »

The Sad Story of Emmeline Burns

Plot synopsis:

As the saying goes, dead men tell no tales. They only leave tales behind.

Toma Andrews, aged 14, has always felt like an outsider. She enjoys spending time in graveyards, and feels more comfortable among the dead than the living.
That is, until Toma meets a strange girl in her local graveyard who might be a real ghost.
The girl asks Toma if she will stay for a while and listen to a story. A story about a girl called Emmeline Burns, who died a tragic death back in 1851.
Toma is compelled to listen, but at the same time, she feels uneasy. After all, what can she do? How could she ever hope to help somebody who has already died?

Characters:

Toma Andrews:
The heroine. Toma's mother intended to call her Amelia, but this plan was scuppered after Aunt Kathryn 'stole' that name for her own daughter. As such, Toma was named after her Grandfather, Thomas.
Toma dislikes her name, and is jealous of her cousin, Amelia, for taking her 'real' name. She seems to believe that her ill-fitting name is the reason for her introverted nature, and often wonders how different her life would be if she had been called Amelia instead.
Toma enjoys spending time in graveyards, perhaps because of her mother's obsession with family history, and seems to instinctively 'know' where to find specific graves.
This skill made her very useful during her mother's search for the final resting places of their long-dead relatives.

???:
A strange girl Toma meets at the local graveyard.
She speaks in an ornate manner that would befit a person from another time period, and her dress sense is much the same.
Though she seems rather quiet and pensive, she has a more playful side, and likes to give people cute nicknames.

Screenshots:

Credits:

Writing/Programming: Ebi-hime
Sprite art/BG art/GUI: Sillyselly

Notes:

This will be a kinetic novel (it has no choices), and will be about 17k words.
The writing is all finished, and just needs to be proofread, and the sprites will be probably be finished soon, too.
Since it's a short project, it will be free~
And, as it's a YuriJam VN, there are yuri elements in it, too.
Also, despite the title, it's a lot more cheerful than some of the other VNs I've written, haha...

If you have any feedback, comments, or questions, feel free to leave it! n_n;
Last edited by ebi-hime on Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.
I have a lot of free & commercial VNs available on Steam and itchio.io if you want to check them out! ☆

Charlie599
Regular
Projects: (letters of) Devotion; Afterland

Re: The Sad Story of Emmeline Burns [YuriJam]

#2 Post by Charlie599 »

I really like the premise of this! Sounds bittersweet. Very pretty art :3 (And yay - yurijam) ^-^

I wouldn't mind proofreading this :wink:

ebi-hime
Veteran

#3 Post by ebi-hime »

@ Charlie599

Thank you o:
I could send you the word document w/ what I have written so far in it, if you want to take a look (bearing in mind I haven't proofed the whole myself yet, and there are still some things I'll change later).
I have a lot of free & commercial VNs available on Steam and itchio.io if you want to check them out! ☆

ebi-hime
Veteran

#4 Post by ebi-hime »

The base sprites for the characters are done : >
Their hair looks so fluffy hehe...

ebi-hime
Veteran

#5 Post by ebi-hime »

Added a screenshot to show Toma's sprite against one of the BGs, with the textbox.
I'll probably tweak the GUI a little still, though (mainly the quick links at the bottom, atm they're a little illegible)
And I still need to figure out how to animate the fog properly ._.

wererat42
Regular

#6 Post by wererat42 »

So is this going to be another angst-fest?
It looks like your other upcoming yuri project is supposed to be lighthearted, so I guess this is to balance out the books?

ebi-hime
Veteran

#7 Post by ebi-hime »

wererat42 wrote:So is this going to be another angst-fest?
It looks like your other upcoming yuri project is supposed to be lighthearted, so I guess this is to balance out the books?
I don't think it's that angsty. Not compared to some of my other stories.
In fact, I'd say it's relatively upbeat for the most part eheheh...
Of course, this also comes down to personal opinion.

ebi-hime
Veteran

#8 Post by ebi-hime »

All the backgrounds for the VN are finished, as are the sprites, and their expressions.
Time to start the menus...
I think I'll write a couple of extra shorts when the player has finished the VN too, just for fun.

I also uploaded two more screenshots : >

ebi-hime
Veteran

#9 Post by ebi-hime »

Bumping to show off an image of the save/load GUI. A full version of the screenshot can be seen here.

Since all the art, menus, and writing are done, the VN could possibly be be released some time next week... Depending on how fast the composer is, haha n_n;

ebi-hime
Veteran

#10 Post by ebi-hime »

The VN is finished! The lemma thread is here and it can be downloaded here! Enjoy!