We were Dust [VN/RPG Hybrid|Fantasy, Survival|GxB GxG BxB]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Cirrocumulus-Cloud
Regular
Projects: Tag Dogs
Tumblr: cirrocumulus-cloud

We were Dust [VN/RPG Hybrid|Fantasy, Survival|GxB GxG BxB]

#1 Post by Cirrocumulus-Cloud »

About
Created with RPG Maker VX Ace.
It was a single sentence that decided your fate:
“For my body is dust and I shall become dust.”

In a world where only deserts of dust reign the land and the right to exist has died for all but Royals and Maps,, where names are defined by abilities, where trees are holy figures and where caravans travel the endless nothingness in search for long lost treasures you find yourself in a desperate situation: With your caravan dead, you have no choice but to become a slave in order to survive. Not any slave, though. You seek out to become a Map, a nameless being treated as the most valuable treasure of all because it provides the world with hope for a future. For the right to exist, the first bite of food and the first gulp of water you pay the ultimate price - to stop living as a true human. Now, you are just an object with scars on your back that show the places and wonders of the dust desert - but you are also full of hope. Hope that, maybe, you can figure out how and why your family died.
And maybe, just maybe, you can change how people treat those like you along the way.
Features

- original artwork, CG’s and sprites
- a 2D overworld with visual novel segments
- male and female protagonists
- 4+ character relationships (LGBTQ friendly!)
- personality traits defined through a quiz
- choices that influence the plot
- branching character routes
- over 10 endings
Warnings
(each subject is portrayed sensitively, though it does exist)

- blood
- slavery
- mild sexual themes
- dark humour
Characters

Map
The protagonist, either male or female.
After waking up and finding out that their entire family has died, they choose to become a Map and thus, give up their name and identity.
While they still struggle to accept their new life, they are determined to figure out the truth behind their caravan's tragic demise.
Memory [17]
Memory is known for being calm and collected, even downright emotionless sometimes.
Though he is the youngest of the entire group, he is the one that takes care of making sure that those unfortunate enough to die get a proper burial.
He is fast at warming up to others, strangely, and the first to trust a person, even though he has problems showing it.
Despite being seen as rather distant, he is the only one to treat Maps like people – as long as no one watches, of course.

King [22]
King is a rebel with a cause and though he might behave all high and mighty, he also serves as the leader and ‘dad’ of the group.
He is the one to lend a shoulder to cry on and his humour is so bad that even Memory cracks a smile of pity once in a while.
King is a big hypocrite, though, especially wary of Maps. He tends to wear trouble on his sleeve – and his face, as evidenced by his scars.
[Others will follow soon]
World Map
Personality Quiz (out-of-context friendly version)

The personality quiz grants your character four out of eight personality traits - each of them provide flavour text towards choices you make.
For example, if a Map with the humour trait tries to cheer up a person they will end up cracking a joke instead of comforting them through a hug.
Team
Currently, this is a solo project made entirely by Cirro herself.

@ Map generator by fantasynamegenerators.com, editing by Cirrocumulus-Cloud

Questions

1. Does the idea sound appealing?
2. What about the art style?
3. Should I include more information about the world aside from the map?
Last edited by Cirrocumulus-Cloud on Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AntiquedFae
Veteran

Re: We were Dust [VN/RPG Hybrid|Fantasy, Survival|GxB GxG Bx

#2 Post by AntiquedFae »

This looks like it could be extremely interesting! The premise, the customizable MC(I have a quiz obsession) and the world map have left me no real choice but to comment.
One thing that I do wonder about is how huge of scale a project this sounds like it would be. What are you thinking for word count (or playtime, since you're going to be using at least some RPG elements)?
Oh, something else I noticed: is there no BxG in this game? The thread title doesn't list it but this seems illogical to me, so I'm wondering.

I'll be looking forward to seeing how this progresses!
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

Cirrocumulus-Cloud
Regular

#3 Post by Cirrocumulus-Cloud »

AntiquedFae wrote:This looks like it could be extremely interesting! The premise, the customizable MC(I have a quiz obsession) and the world map have left me no real choice but to comment.
One thing that I do wonder about is how huge of scale a project this sounds like it would be. What are you thinking for word count (or playtime, since you're going to be using at least some RPG elements)?
Oh, something else I noticed: is there no BxG in this game? The thread title doesn't list it but this seems illogical to me, so I'm wondering.

I'll be looking forward to seeing how this progresses!
Firstly: Thank you so much for the comment. Feedback (even at this early stage) really means a lot.

I love customizable MC's, even if it is only flavour text. Bioware games are great at that, especially in the Solas romance of Dragon Age Inquisition, so I am going for a similar approach. If you end up with an MC with a humour trait, for example, then they will cheer others up with a joke instead of, say, a hug.

It is indeed a huge scale. As of now I cannot estimate how long the game will be exactly, but it will feature three big choices per play through (two for the story, one for each romance). I try to keep things manageable by having a rather small cast of important characters and by keeping the amount of maps small. What I can say is that the story itself can be long if you try to form a bond with each character, but that it is just slightly above average length if you decide to just be there for the main plot. This gives me the option to work on side stories along the way without a lot of pressure. :)

The main work will be the flavour texts to give the MC a distinct personality. I want the player to feel like they are put in this situation, instead of following a set protagonist around. Depending on how fast I can work there might be a lot of MC personality depending text in the game - but I am definitely committed to this game for the long run, especially because having a game to my name could bring me forward in pursuing the career of a game designer.

Ah, there is BxG of course, the thread title was just too long to fit every option in there. Every character is open to every MC - not because I love the 'everyone is bi' model, but because I prefer a few fleshed out characters over a lot of shallow ones.

tantivy
Regular

#4 Post by tantivy »

Hi!

Yes, I'm intrigued by what you've posted so far. The setting and scenario sound interesting, and I'm curious about some of the details that the description hints at but doesn't explain. For example, it makes me wonder why the Royals need humans to serve as maps and why Maps give people hope for the future.

Admittedly, I'm a sensitive person, so the way the MC is treated may make me uncomfortable, but I'd like to give your game a shot and hopefully I'll enjoy it.

I like it! The sprite of Memory is lovely all around. It gives some interesting clues too, based on his clothing. The description makes the world seem like it doesn't necessarily have very advanced technology, but then there's Memory with those modern clothes and bright colors. All the more intriguing.

I don't think that's necessary. I mentioned that the description made me curious about things, but I'm content to wait until the demo/game to have stuff explained further, especially if you feel that discovering those things is an important part of the game experience. (I like the map and the place names, btw.)

I'll be following your progress. Good luck!

Cirrocumulus-Cloud
Regular

#5 Post by Cirrocumulus-Cloud »

tantivy wrote:Hi!

Yes, I'm intrigued by what you've posted so far. The setting and scenario sound interesting, and I'm curious about some of the details that the description hints at but doesn't explain. For example, it makes me wonder why the Royals need humans to serve as maps and why Maps give people hope for the future.

Admittedly, I'm a sensitive person, so the way the MC is treated may make me uncomfortable, but I'd like to give your game a shot and hopefully I'll enjoy it.

I like it! The sprite of Memory is lovely all around. It gives some interesting clues too, based on his clothing. The description makes the world seem like it doesn't necessarily have very advanced technology, but then there's Memory with those modern clothes and bright colors. All the more intriguing.

I don't think that's necessary. I mentioned that the description made me curious about things, but I'm content to wait until the demo/game to have stuff explained further, especially if you feel that discovering those things is an important part of the game experience. (I like the map and the place names, btw.)

I'll be following your progress. Good luck!
Thank you so much!

1. It is great to know that the idea of the game sounds appealing. The whole world actually has a lot of culture, history, religion and more to it and I try to implement a lot of depth into the game. It begins with the general way how the society works and ends at proverbs and sentences that hold a lot of meaning. I will actually include a little dictionary document with the game, so that players who feel confused will always have a chance to look up places, proverbs etc. An example would probably be that people in this world wouldn't really say that they love someone, they would claim to see the sky in their love's eyes. The game itself explains everything in game, though, it eases the player into this world. =)

I try to be very sensetive with every mature aspect of the game. Because of this, common yandere tropes in anime media won't be making an appearance here. There won't be an ending where Map ends up as a slave with one of the characters treating them unfairly, so no worries there!

2. That is great to know. I try to improve my drawing skills every day, so having feedbacks for the art is really important for me. It's especially nice to see that you commented on the modern look of Memory's outfit. The clothes are another part of the overall world's history, but I want to save further information for a demo. Every character, though their outfits might seem a little unconventional at first, dresses that way for a reason.

3. That's good to know! There is definitely a good chunk of world lore that I am currently building up. I enjoy worldbuilding a lot and I hope the world that I create will intrigue one or two people in due time.

Small Update
I finished the introduction with the personality quiz today, as well as the rough coloration of another character, King.
King [22]

King is a rebel with a cause and though he might behave all high and mighty, he also serves as the leader and ‘dad’ of the group.
He is the one to lend a shoulder to cry on and his humour is so bad that even Memory cracks a smile of pity once in a while.
King is a big hypocrite, though, especially wary of Maps. He tends to wear trouble on his sleeve – and his face, as evidenced by his scars.

Personality Quiz (out-of-context friendly version)

The personality quiz grants your character four out of eight personality traits - each of them provide flavour text towards choices you make.
For example, if a Map with the humour trait tries to cheer up a person they will end up cracking a joke instead of comforting them through a hug.

VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

#6 Post by VocaloidsRCool »

Well,this is interesting. A protagonist who's life changes drastically, and who fights to uncover the truth behind their families death, while hoping the world changes for those like them? I like it! I would definitely play it, and Memory is pretty cute~ I hope to see how this progresses.

Cirrocumulus-Cloud
Regular

#7 Post by Cirrocumulus-Cloud »

VocaloidsRCool wrote:Well,this is interesting. A protagonist who's life changes drastically, and who fights to uncover the truth behind their families death, while hoping the world changes for those like them? I like it! I would definitely play it, and Memory is pretty cute~ I hope to see how this progresses.
Thank you very much for your comment! The most important theme of this game will be "living and loss" - as such, each one of the characters will have a fleshed out backstory that the player character will be able to learn about. I try to create a symbiotic relationship between the world lore, the overall story and the characters that make it come to life. To further enable to player to delve deep into what it means being part of a Caravan the game will feature a simple fighting system - standard RPG stuff, but with an emotional tie to it. The fighting isn't the central aspect of the battles, the characters are the central aspect - they will converse during combat a lot, for example. (But not so much that it will take away from the fighting itself.) Map himself/herself will not take part in those battles, though -> they will, however, comment on them influenced by their personality traits.

Also: It's great that you like Memory, he is my favourite character of the cast, to be honest!

Update

I have not managed to finish a lot of things during the last couple of days due to personal stress, unfortunately, but I made a (still WIP) sprite for the female Map. If you find her outfit off-putting, I can surely still tweak it. The male Map will look very similarly, with the only big change being that he wears shorts instead of a skirt. (Due to limitations with CG's.)

tantivy
Regular

#8 Post by tantivy »

I like the sprite for Map! Her hair and face are particularly nice.

By the way, what program are you using to make your sprites, and do you use a digital drawing tablet? I'm curious because I like drawing by hand but don't have experience on the computer.

Cirrocumulus-Cloud
Regular

#9 Post by Cirrocumulus-Cloud »

tantivy wrote:I like the sprite for Map! Her hair and face are particularly nice.

By the way, what program are you using to make your sprites, and do you use a digital drawing tablet? I'm curious because I like drawing by hand but don't have experience on the computer.
Thank you very much! I will try to improve her some more, but having a general design is always a good starting point.

Oh, I am exclusively drawing digitally at this point in time - because I don't really have the time to draw traditionally as well. I own a Wacom Intuos and mostly use Easy Paint Tool SAI to draw. I also know how to draw using GIMP and just started getting used to FireAlpaca. So, it depends. I like the comic options from FireAlpaca and I will probably use it to draw the CG's for the game. Tip: I use DesignDoll to create my own references for poses. It's an AMAZING program and the free trial version on its own is wonderful. You can do a lot of great things with it and I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone who wants to improve their anatomy skills.

All of the sprites that I currently have up there will most likely change during development. They can be seen as the character sheets that most anime have for their characters and thus don't feature the smooth look that the actual portraits used in the game will have. They probably will be used for the Demo of the game, though. I am currently trying to find a good way of colouring and once I found a nice style I will improve the overall look of the characters. =)