Heart Fragment [OTOME][FANTASY][DEMO AVAILABLE]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
heartfragment
Regular
Projects: Heart Fragment
Tumblr: heartfragment
itch: heartfragment

Re: Heart Fragment [OTOME/GxB/GxG][FANTASY]

#16 Post by heartfragment »

Hello again everyone!
As those of you who follow the Heart Fragment tumblr know, I've been introducing the characters there slowly.
Finally, they have all been introduced! To show them, I created little 'promo cards' of each character, so I thought I'd go ahead and share them here as well.
These are much smaller versions so that they won't take up too much space here; be sure to check out the tumblr page if you want to see the full versions!

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

And here's a special bonus version of the Inigo one:
Last edited by heartfragment on Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Published Project:

Ollie
Projects: nothing bc i procrastinate

#17 Post by Ollie »

Warning: berry long paragraphs ahead proceed with caution of caution of caution, just be caution, Caution.

1.What is your initial reaction to the game's intro and characters?

I AM TRYING TO LIMIT MY (DELIGHTFULLY) SCATTERED THOUGHTS INTO ONE CONCISE PARAGRAPH BUT I AM INCAPABLE OF DOING SO BECAUSETHISGAMEJUSTLOOKSSOGOOD sogood. Okay, I have successfully managed to cool down. To begin with, I saw 'Fantasy' in the post's title and I was like: yes god u have provided and answered my prayers thx. I really love Fantasy as a genre, especially in games. I've seen many stories/games following the whole 'experiment' scenario and, heck, I've even thought about writing my own story entailing something similar, so I didn't expect much as I read the first line. However, when I was halfway through with reading the plot, I realised just how well-thought-out it was and I was genuinely taken aback by how much this interested me, so thank you for that:-). I feel like you've created something worth playing and I am thankful for that. Actually, I also want to pretty much say cheers to you, given the fact that you started this all by yourself and this is all costing you your money. I really can't believe how hard you're working towards this, I'm really happy to see someone so dedicated.

But, yes, the plot does intrigue me a lot. I definitely want to know what's going to happen to the MC, poor dear has lost her entire family. I also really want to know more about the 'mysterious accident', the scientist and this last experiment. Assuming that the MC was the test subject, it makes me wonder what kind of side effects the experiment had or which superhuman abilities she gained from it.

Also, the characters are all really interesting and different, thank Jesus. H. Christ in glorious heaven up above. I appreciate that Clive and the MC are similar in the way that they both have sharp tongues and are cynical. Being quite frank, I relate very much to the MC! I've been pretty much described as a 'sour patch', I'm kind-hearted at my core, but I'm super sour on the outside (unintentionally), and I isolate myself a lot. Not to mention, I'm a cynic (though, I'm a super snarky cynic, ahaha). I'm happy that I'm actually able to relate to a character, usually I don't relate to many MCs because they're so preppy and optimistic. Gosh diddly darn it, sigh. I kind of want to know why she's such a cynic, though it's not necessary, it's just interesting to see what really made her how she is because her personality definitely is rather peculiar (in a good way, of course. If I meant it in a bad way, I'd be trashing my own personality). Oh, slightly unrelated, but I really like the MC's name! Xani (is it pronounced Zani?) is really pretty. Also, I appreciate that the MC is a POC and that LGBT characters are included, such as Lana (who is a qt, btw). I'm a person of colour myself, being mixed and all, so woo:-). Pretty cool!

Basically, I like all the characters?? I have legit nothing bad to say about ANY of them. Kei is such a cutie, help me, please, I beg. Tbh, the fact that he's blind makes him even more cuter? I just wanna snuggle him. He looks like a bundle of freakin' happiness, innocence, cuteness and comedy. I really would like to pursue his route, that. is. for. sure. My heart cannot take his cuteness. Even Clive, so adorableee:-). He seems like a self-loathing, tsundere:-(. BUT I LOVE TSUNDERES. I'd definitely play his route, too! And Lana and Shannon seem like two super cute, optimistic and happy girls, I just wanna cuddle 'em:-). (Jasper has my curiosity, though.) AND YES IF YOURE WONDERING I WAS SAVING ONE OF THE BESTS FOR LAST. I'm not sure if Inigo is a main character or if he's simply just a really important side character, but I am mildly attracted to him. Actually, scratch that, really attracted to him (and his unusual as hell name). His eyes are hidden for heaven's sake, yet he has me melting like I'm the Wicked Witch of The West and Dorothy just threw a bucket of water on me, adios. I am (obviously) the human embodiment of trash. He's so mysterious and... attractive.

(I am going to stop fangirling over the characters now, only because this will become a Bible if I don't.)

2.Which of the characters seems the most interesting to you?

I think it's safe to say that all the characters seem interesting to me, just take a gander up above at my prior paragraphs. However, so far, excluding my adorkable qts Kei, Clive and Xani, I'm REALLY interested in Inigo. He looks like a troublemaker and, overall, just really mysterious. Does he play a big part in the whole scheme of things? Is he a bad guy? Is he good? Where do his intentions lie? In general, who is he? why is he so hot???

3.Do you have any questions about the game itself?

Uhmm, let's see... I'm never good with actual decent questions of any importance, but shrug:-(. I'll try:

Will this game be commercial or free? If it was stated, I'm sorry, I didn't see! I've no problem with it being commercial, as you have spent quite a lot so far and I would greatly appreciate if it were free. Either way, I don't mind, I'm just curious. I see that this is a relatively new project, so you don't necessarily have to answer this, I'm simply asking for the sake of asking, to be honest: Do you have an estimated release date for the actual game? Such as, late 2016, or even early 2017? Of course, I understand that nothing is set in stone. Also, please, tell me, I am begging, is Indigo (yes, I have given him a nickname) a character that can be romantically pursued? My heart flutters and my stomach churns happily at the sight of him (now I'm just being dramatic but I must get my feelings across).

In conclusion, I am really excited for this project, I cannot wait for it to be finished! The characters seem, so far, to be splendidly written. I can definitely see that you put a lot of thought into this. The art is freakin' breath-taking, no exaggeration there, the GUI is adorable and fits the mood of the story and the Features list is amazing. I make sure to mention at all times that I appreciate these projects and people who create them, so I want to personally (and sincerely) thank you. I wish you luck on this project and I hope that, one day, it will come into completion:-). I also hope that it gets a ton of more recognition and I'm definitely here, waving my little fictitious flag, motivating you. If you ever need help with something like proof-reading or beta-testing for the game (or even the demo), I'm here! This game really is interesting and I'd love to help in any way I can. I'm so sorry for this long response but I hope it has made you smile, even just once, ahah. Once more, good luck (and remember to have fun), I'm cheering you on :w:!
I may or may not be a full-blown, absolute dork.

heartfragment
Regular

#18 Post by heartfragment »

First off Ollie, thank you so much for your feedback! I really appreciate such in depth enthusiasm, ahaha. It makes me so happy and really encourages me to know that people are interested in what I've been creating. I basically see this project as my child and it means a lot to me; creating it is one of the most important things in my life right now as I am struggling emotionally, so the creation of this game has saved me for depression. The thought that something something I've done is getting other people excited for the result has me wanting to work even harder to create a great experience!

Now, to answer your questions;
Ollie wrote:Will this game be commercial or free?
The game is intended to be commercial. It is a long shot dream, but because I am disabled it is a hope of mine that the game might sell well enough to help me out with being unable to work. I don't intend for it to be too pricey, though! My thought was about $10-$15, but I'll decide exactly when it gets closer to the actual release date.
And speaking of the release date...
Ollie wrote:Do you have an estimated release date for the actual game? Such as, late 2016, or even early 2017?
My ultimate goal is late 2016, but I can't set anything in stone just yet of course. That too will be decided closer to the release date!
Ollie wrote:Also, please, tell me, I am begging, is Indigo (yes, I have given him a nickname) a character that can be romantically pursued?
Spoiler:
Yes he can be! Inigo's route is unlockable after all other routes have been completed, as he is the 'true' route in the game. He will be introduced in the game's bad endings, and through his dialogue at those endings bits of his character will be revealed. It won't be until you play his route, though, that you will discover who exactly he is, and what motives he has for his actions...
Published Project:

Ollie
Projects: nothing bc i procrastinate

#19 Post by Ollie »

@heartfragment:

No problem!:-) I'm happy that you didn't get a headache from all of my fangirling and long paragraphs. I'm actually really happy to hear that the creation of this game has saved you from depression. Depression is something my aunt struggles with and, honestly, I would not wish it upon anyone, really. Though, your happiness and health comes before the game, so always remember that! Ahaha:-). I see! I hope your dream comes true, I'm definitely supporting you. I usually only buy visual novels on my apple devices (because I don't have a credit card,oops), but I'd make sure to still buy your game (especially if Steam is an option). Ahhh, late 2016 *cowers under blanket*. So far away, yet so near! Also, OMG YES THANK YOU YOU ARE AMAZING.
YES HE DESERVES TO BE THE TRUE ROUTE. And, woah, he's in the bad endings? Hmm, really makes me wonder about him (and now I'm even more attracted to him, sigh. Dammit, Inigo.
Well, as I've said before, good luck, hon:-). I look forward to updates.
I may or may not be a full-blown, absolute dork.

soraibi
Regular

#20 Post by soraibi »

I must say that the game interface looks AWESOME!! The art and sprites as well.
The story sounds quite generic, but if the cliches are done well, then it'll probably be great! I have a soft spot for cliches...
And to be honest, I never get tired of stories about psychic super powers/abilities, they're alway fun to read.
I hope to see this finished :D

sakurakimuchi
Regular

#21 Post by sakurakimuchi »

Oooh the plot is soo interesting! And I liked Inigo, he's my fav so far.
Good luck~

Kalle

#22 Post by Kalle »

This story seems to take heavily on the concept of Prodigy, another visual novel previously released a year or two ago, up to the point where the "mad" scientist vanishes after his artificial prodigal experiment is deemed a failure from risks. Such a concept is often recycled well, though, and your work does seem to deviate from it a lot after the background setup, which is a nice surprise! Anyone who's interested in this game primarily for the concept and background should consider Prodigy while they wait. (When I last played it, there was one episode released, but it was pretty good for a free game at the time.)

Initial reactions to Heart Fragment: the art is absolutely gorgeous! Holy crud I love it, the way the coloring is soft and kind of pastel-like and shadows are used to give an appealing effect. Combined with your world and story, I would definitely, definitely play the game or demo if it was released. I'm actually not too interested in the main character because her life seems to be centered around her isolation, but her introduction seems to suggest that the player can easily and quickly fix this at will. That may just be my personal preference for a main character with a consistent and less player-influenced personality, though, and I believe that Xani will still be enjoyable to play as regardless.

The character that appeals to me the most is Inigo, admittedly most because his character design is the most interesting to me. I liked Kei the most at first, but his habit of going abnormally quiet somehow turned me off a little from him, even if I still want to know more about him.

(Incidentally, the way Clive's hood is drawn reminds me a lot of Kano from Kagerou Days!)

About the game, I also had the question of what it will actually be about (since the main post didn't seem to go into much detail about it), but another reader covered it before me. Regarding Kickstarter, I think this project will be able to garner funding because you already have a lot of good things to show for the game, and with a demo you can cement that into support. (I personally won't be able to donate, because even though I have spare cash I have no credit, debit, or Paypal to transfer any sort of funding online. ; ; )

I'm wishing the best for your health as well, and look forward to the demo when it's ready! :D I'll definitely be following this thread for updates. (Take care of yourself though and remember your health and mental state come before other people's enthusiasm! Definitely enthusiastic whoops)

lin-06
Projects: Rhythmic Colors
Organization: Prismatic Emotion
Tumblr: lin369
Deviantart: razuka09

#23 Post by lin-06 »

What is your initial reaction to the game's intro and characters? ―The story's intro intrigued me, that's for sure. It kind of made me remember Code:Realize a bit! I'm wondering how the protagonist would react about her own existence, or rather, I'm wondering what she really is~ I think the story has potential! :wink: Regarding the characters, they all felt unique, which is a big plus (for me as well). I'm also interested in how they would develop/interact in the story. Don't have any bias yet since (like I said), they all interest me~

I don't have much to say but I'm certain, it's looking pretty good! Not only in content, but visually!! Can I say how aesthetically pleasing the logo and GUI design are?? At least for me they are! I love the look so much! Although the art style of the sprites/CGs aren't really my type, they're still not bad (generally speaking)! I'm sorry to hear about your health, but I hope you the best for this project!! ( ´∀`)☆ ファイト!がんばって!

heartfragment
Regular

#24 Post by heartfragment »

First off: Thank you, everyone, for your feedback! I'm happy to have so many responses now, it has me feeling really excited to reveal more of the story and game plans in general as things progress.

I've been working on the writing almost non-stop in my spare time, but I'm taking a break for the next few days because I've had a pain flare up in my hands and needs to wait for it to pass; aggravating it further at this point isn't the best idea.
Overall, things have been progressing well I believe, and work on the sprites has begun!
Here's a peek at the sprite progress. This is Xani, Shannon, and Kei.

And to reply to some comments from everyone here on the thread;
@soraibi: Thank you very much! I'm really glad that you like the visuals! Visuals are obviously an important part of visual novel, so I'm really happy that people like the work the Heart Fragment team has done!
I'll admit the game has its share of cliches, but I'm doing my best to present the story in a unique way that will keep interest and attention despite.
The game idea is something I actually started as a child at 12, but things have expanded so far since then and the story has become so close to my heart that I just don't think I could bring myself to give up trying to make it a success story. Heart Fragment is my child, and I'm determined for it to turn out well.

@sakurakimuchi: Thank you! It seems Inigo has quite a few fans. 8) He would be very pleased with himself, haha.

@Kalle: I've never heard of or played Prodigy, actually! I hope that people interested in Heart Fragment will check it out in the meantime, and that it will keep them occupied while they wait! I've always been a fan of the 'mad scientist' angle, so I might even check it out myself when I have the time.
Thank you for your comments on the visuals! As for the protagonist's personality, yes, it can very much be molded into whatever the player wishes. She has a starting / "default" personality, but by your choices throughout the game she can come out of her shell more (or on the opposite end can be shoved back into her shell even further) and become who you want her to be. My hope, though, is to create a consistent character that makes these changes naturally, so that it seems like both the player and the character herself grow and change together.

@lin-06: Thank you so much! As someone who loved Code:Realize, I'm proud to hear you say that it made you think of that!
Published Project:

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#25 Post by noeinan »

The art is so cute! I'll definitely be watching this thread. :3

HeroicRoxas

#26 Post by HeroicRoxas »

Posted about my role on FB! :)

sakurakimuchi
Regular

#27 Post by sakurakimuchi »

Alright, I wanted to give a better feedback on this because this game deserves it! So let's start with it.
First, I loved, LOVED the plot. It's hard for me to describe it, but I really like different/original stories such as mystery, horror or sci-fi paired up with romance/fluff, that's like my favorite combo for otome games, so I'm already loving you for this glorious plot that you created.
Also, I need to point out that including LGBT and POC characters as well as people with disabilities is golden! It's kind of dumb that I have to point this out in late 2015 but the world is not completely made of only white people, so thank you thank you thank you thank you for including minorities in your game! That's really important and I mean, I'm not a North-American or European gal, so that means a lot.
And of course, the art is really cute, and I loved the fact that you actually put a lot of effort into building the each characters's personality, because that makes them more realistic, you know? Like, we can see their weak and strong points and that's something that we unfortunately don't see in every game out there, which is sad because honestly writing the characters's personality is just as important as everything else in the game, but most people just go for the cliches (tsundere, prince type, best friend type, bashful type and so on.. not that there's anything wrong with it, it's just kinda boring and idk, lazy). I can honestly say that I liked all of them, but my favorites are Inigo and also the main girl. I know, I know, it's pretty rare for me to like the player character but even though our physical appearence is different, I can relate to Xani in so, so many levels that it felt like you were describing me in the character info.
So I cannot wait to play this game because there's so many stuff that I loved about it. Thank you so much for taking the time and effort for doing this, it's looking wonderful so far. And you know, because of that I wanna try to help out as much as I can so if you're still looking for a voice actress for any role that's left, I'll do it completely free. I don't have a lot of experience but I've done voice acting before, so if you want, I'm avaliable.

heartfragment
Regular

#28 Post by heartfragment »

Unfortunately I have an unhappy announcement again. My health has been steadily declining, and my mental health along with it with some family issues going on at the moment.
I'm having trouble finding time and energetic enough moments to work at the story.
While I was working on scripting this for at least an hour or two a day up til recently, these issues have lowered it down to forcing myself to get in 15 minutes, even, of work in a day.
I promise I'm doing my best, and I also assure you all that the project is not cancelled in any way! I am working on it, just a bit more slowly.
I still hope to have the demo out early 2016, so keep looking out for that! I'll have an exact date for everyone as soon as I can.
Thank you for your patience and for bearing with me through all of this. It makes me happy to know that more people than I imagined would have responded this positively!

In the meantime, here is another peak at the sprites!
NOTE: The color of the skin was taken from the concept art, which is far too light. Her skin will be darkened quite a bit for the full game.

Also, thank you sakurakimuchi and daikiraikimi for your lovely comments!
Published Project:

heartfragment
Regular

#29 Post by heartfragment »

Hey everyone! Sorry it has been a while since the last update!
For those of you that don't follow the game development tumblr, you won't have heard the voice and music demos yet.
So here's a link for anyone interested in listening!

Demo #1 - This demo contains 3 song tracks (done by Cylight Studios and Joshua Mock) and voice previews for Inigo and Lana (done by Jonathan David Bullock and Amanda Snowflake).
Demo #2 - This demo contains 2 songs tracks (done by Cylight STudios) and voice previews for Shannon and Kei (done by Samantha Chan and Reuben Lack).

Enjoy!
Published Project:

Baky
Regular
Tumblr: delicrieux

#30 Post by Baky »

What is your initial reaction to the game's intro and characters?

The fantasy part first threw me off when I saw the adorable heroine but once I read into the plot I found myself intrigued! This game in general is really different, in a good way!, since I have yet to see trans characters in a vn (I'm not saying there aren't any, but I have yet to see any besides this). I'm really interested to see what happens next and I really want to play a demo or something, to get a better feel of the characters, the story and gameplay :D

Which of the character's seems the most interesting to you?

Lana and Inigo (obvi). I really like the way Lana looks (tots adorbs!) and I like her personality - chillin with video games and beer, a perfect evening... As for Inigo, well, there's nothing about him!!! Of course I'm interested!!

Do you have any questions about the game itself?

Just when a demo is released? Really pumped for this game! You offer so many features and I just //excited squeak
Keep up the good work!~ <3
♡I write things for fun.♡