Heart Fragment [OTOME][FANTASY][DEMO AVAILABLE]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
heartfragment
Regular
Projects: Heart Fragment
Tumblr: heartfragment
itch: heartfragment

Heart Fragment [OTOME][FANTASY][DEMO AVAILABLE]

#1 Post by heartfragment »

☕​ Support us on Ko-fi to help our development!​ ☕

Itchio Demo | Steam Store

RELEASE DATE: JULY 30, 2021

Heart Fragment is an upcoming otome (romance) fantasy VN.
With over 40 planned endings and 500+ choices to make along the way to bring you to your ending, the game's outcome is in your hands.
Take on the role of the protagonist as her life takes a strange turn after discovering a secret hidden from her for many years - that she may be something other than human.
Will you lead her to a happy future, or to disaster?

Years into our future and years into the game's past, scientists attempted an experiment with one particular goal in mind - to create a drug that would force human evolution to its next step.
The experiment succeeded. Those the first human test was completed on gained powers beyond their wildest imaginations.
Increased mental capacity. Telekinesis. Telepathy. Super strength.
But no success story can happen without it's downfalls, and an unforeseen side effect occurred. They began to lose their humanity.
It only happened in short bursts, but when it did, together with their new found powers, they became extremely dangerous.
And so they were euthanized, their lives ended as humanely as possible, and the experiment was marked a failure. The risks were too great to continue any further.
But one man - the lead scientist of the project - escaped. Desperate for his life's work not to go unnoticed he created one last version of the drug, in an attempt to remove the side effects.
Seemingly, it worked. However, with the results of the last experiment clear, this scientist too was considered a danger. He fled into hiding with his family.
The man was never found, and with complete silence from him perhaps proving him to have kept his sanity, eventually the search was called off. The failed experiment was called to a close and buried.

Years later, mysterious accident after accident has led to the death of both the scientist and all members of his family.
Only one remains; his great granddaughter, protected since birth by a small group among the last of those that still know about the experiment, and from whom the secret of her past has been kept for years.
But she's about to find out...

Image Image
Follow us on social media!

✨ Five main paths containing a variety of romantic, platonic, and family-based endings - and bad endings too, so stay on guard.
✨ You influence the story with 100+ choices to make in game, and at the same time you have the potential to influence the protagonist's personality traits.
✨ Negative & positive personality traits can be unlocked based on your choices.
✨ An in-game feature to check the protagonist's social media feed and unlock bonus content & CGs.
✨ Your endgame partner is ​your choice​. The final route allows you to pick your endgame romantic partner / endgame BFF.
✨ End with a romantic partner AND a BFF - you can have one of each!
✨ Over 20 endings in the main paths and additional 10+ in the final route.
✨ A diverse and fun cast of characters to learn about.
✨ Beautiful artwork, gorgeous OST, and partial voice acting.

FINAL ROUTE ENDINGS INFO
The way the endings in the final route will work is a bit complex! You will be able to get romantic & platonic endings with most characters. In the final route, who your “endgame” partner is will be up to you! Each character will be featured in a section of the final route. At the end of each of their sections, you will be given a choice: KISS THEM or HUG THEM

If you KISS THEM: You can select them as your endgame partner!
You can kiss multiple characters and choose between them, but you’ll get bonus text for only kissing one!
If you HUG THEM: You can select them as your endgame BFF!
You can hug multiple characters and choose between them with no “penalty” for hugging them all.

You can have an endgame partner & endgame BFF, just an endgame partner, or just an endgame BFF. If you don’t choose to kiss or hug any of them, the ending will be more focused on the full group.
Whether or not you can choose a character as a romantic or platonic partner at the end will depend on what endings you get in their route. While the final route will be unlocked by completing at least one romantic or platonic ending for every character, you can only select a romantic partner who you have completed a romantic ending with. Doing both their romantic and platonic endings will make them an option for both!

Writer & Director
Casper Swann

Artists
@Mintstea - CG artwork
@Strawberristorm - phone / social media notification CG artwork
Lavendel & momoriin - sprite artwork
Legacy sprite artwork was done by MaeMika

GUI
BunBun - Logo Design
Re:Alice - GUI Design
Potouto - GUI Design

Musicians
Cylight Studios - SFX and Music
Mock Off - Music
Navypink - Music

Voice Actors
Jacob Barrens as Kay
Greg Arnold as Clive
Arthur Tisseront as Jasper
Samantha Chan as Shannon
Amanda Parker as Natalia
Dottovu as Lana
Stephanie Arata as Charlie
Shane Motal "GingerSid" as Teryl
Walter Mack as Inigo

Any opinions welcome but please keep them limited to positive ones and constructive criticism without rude or degrading remarks.
Last edited by heartfragment on Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:16 pm, edited 74 times in total.

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

Re: Heart Fragment [OTOME/GxB/GxG][FANTASY]

#2 Post by Harliqueen »

What is your initial reaction to the game's intro and characters?
Sounds really awesome, a bit different to what's around at the moment :) The characters are interesting to, a good range of personalities!

Which of the character's seems the most interesting to you?
Well, I'm going to have to say Inigo, just 'cause you gave that mysteriousness to him! :D

Do you think getting backers for the Kickstarter will actually be possible for the game?
I don't see why not, the story sounds interesting, and it seems like you will be adding a lot to it!

The art looks lovely, I like the softness of the colouring. Will the CG and sprite artist be using similar styles?

Will you be releasing a demo for the kickstarter?
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

heartfragment
Regular

#3 Post by heartfragment »

Hey Harliqueen, thanks for your opinions! To answer you questions:
Harliqueen wrote:The art looks lovely, I like the softness of the colouring. Will the CG and sprite artist be using similar styles?
Sadly they will not be done by the same artist. The lovely gal Chappy who did the promo art has limited commissions and I'm working with separate artists now. I assure you the artists I'm working with are wonderful, though, and I'm really excited to put up some previews of their art when they're ready. I hope everyone else will love them as much as I do!
Harliqueen wrote:Will you be releasing a demo for the kickstarter?
I will! I'm putting my main focus right now into getting the demo completed (though it will be a bit rough because I can't yet afford background art, thus the main focus of it is the story itself) so that I can link to the Kickstarter here.
Published Project:

Kikaharu
Regular

#4 Post by Kikaharu »

I am following this seems like it will be a really cool game :) and the art is lovely and I can't wait to see how the artists you are working with now will make the characters :)

Silverheart7

#5 Post by Silverheart7 »

This game looks awesome!! I really like the characters. And, strangely enough, my name is Shannon :shock:
Note:This girl is incredibly klutzy and does incredibly stupid stuff. She isn't really dumb, she just is the worst klutz ever (DO NOT THINK THIS IS EXAGGERATING)

MilkChocoPanda

#6 Post by MilkChocoPanda »

What is your initial reaction to the game's intro and characters?
That is an extremely interesting story and I felt myself getting excited about playing it! I love the variety of characters. Lana surprised me since I have never seen a transgender person in an otome game before. The art is really bright and colorful, similar to Cheritz's art which is amazing since I love that art style.
Which of the character's seems the most interesting to you?
Kei because he's cute, lol. Also Inigo because he doesn't have a description. The mysterious ones are always the most interesting.
Do you have any questions about the game itself?
What's the actual plot of the game? Where does she meet these people? Are they going to defeat someone or something or is it a day-to-day-life game? I understand that she wants to find out info, but I'm assuming that's not the entire game.
Do you think getting backers for the Kickstarter will actually be possible for the game?
I mean, I don't see why it's not possible. I can't donate because I don't have money, and there might be many in the same position as me depending on where you talk about your Kickstarter. It might be hard, but you just have to advertise your Kickstarter at the right places for it to be effective.

heartfragment
Regular

#7 Post by heartfragment »

Thank you everyone for your comments so far! I'm really happy that the majority of remarks here & on tumblr that I've received so far have been positive. It really encourages me knowing there are people interested in what I'm creating.

MilkChocoPanda, to answer your questions:
MilkChocoPanda wrote:What's the actual plot of the game? Where does she meet these people? Are they going to defeat someone or something or is it a day-to-day-life game?
The plot depends very much on what initial choices the player makes in the game's prologue. The game's routes come together in the end but how they come to that end point is up to the player, because after the prologue they branch off in different directions. The overall plot is the protagonist's search for who she is and her attempts to avoid a tragic outcome (which there are plenty of). But the way that plot plays out will be completely different if the protagonist plays the game with Kei's route in mind in comparison to if the game is played through Clive's route, or if she doesn't even take a romantic route. Who Xani - or whatever you choose to name her - becomes and how she becomes that person is up to you.
MilkChocoPanda wrote:Where does she meet these people? Are they going to defeat someone or something or is it a day-to-day-life game?
All the characters are introduced differently; there's no one place that you meet them all. The game does follow day-to-day-life but making the right choices to avoid running into disaster is the overall theme. Because the different routes branch the story off into different settings, there's not a set in stone "this is how to play the game" instruction. Someone that can be trusted in one route may not necessarily be someone you can trust in another route. Who you defeat in one route may be an ally in another. My goal is to make the game's routes different enough that there will be lots of replay value, and only by going through each route will you find out all of the game's secrets.
Published Project:

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by try10 »

The plot is interesting. The art is nice. There are so many secrets and everyone seems to be suspicious. I want to find out what's going on so badly and I am patiently waiting for a demo to be released.

The characters that caught my interest are many but I'll pick the MC ( I really need to know more about her :D), Jasper (why is he so dangerous?) and Inigo (the mystery guy ;) )

About the kickstarter... Yes, I think it will be possible if the demo is interesting enough, leaves the players with more questions than answers and the feeling that they want to play the whole game in order to understand. Advertising well is also one of the best ways to succeed. I am rooting for you! :D

heartfragment
Regular

#9 Post by heartfragment »

Hey everyone! I'm here with a few updates for the game.
As you can see above, I have a preview for you all to see for what the game's artwork will be looking like!
This is not the full image; just a preview. The art is being done by the lovely Deency, so be sure to go and follow her on DeviantArt!
Scripting the story is coming along smoothly, with no troubles in that area so far.
A voice for Lana has been found! She will be voiced by Amanda Snowflake.

Here's a look at the sketch for the game's logo, being done by Bunbun.

I also have a question for you all.
Unfortunately, I have ... somewhat bad news, as well. I've stated it before in the first post, but because of my health I'm unable to work.
I have just enough funds to finish off paying for the things that I've commissioned to get started, but it isn't enough to have a fully operational game demo.
I'm missing sprites, specifically. However I have almost finished polishing off the writing that I need done for the demo.
So my question for everyone is:
Would you rather wait longer for the demo (while I try to find payed work that I'm capable of doing), having all the sprites, art, etc for that section of the game already completed and looking great?
Or would you rather play a rougher demo sooner, allowing me to start up the Kickstarter instead of struggling with the funds?
Published Project:

philip
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by philip »

@heartfragment-

So sorry to hear of your health problems; wish you a speedy and total recovery! Your health comes first, so whatever path you choose for proceeding with your VN will be the right one. The story sounds really interesting, and I will be thinking good thoughts for you and waiting patiently.

philip
"One who has never made a mistake has never attempted anything!"
-
and
-
"Finish what you start"

infel
Veteran
Projects: Mark's Story(BxB(Reach for the Stars(GxG), Mermaid Sonata(GxG,NaNo16), Black Dale-Curse of the Scarlet Witch(Semi Hiatus), A Few Secret Games
Tumblr: lunarwingsgames

#11 Post by infel »

Really sorry about your health DX. I to hope you get better soon.

As for your project it's really up to you in the end. The safest route is probably taking your time and save up over the course of a few months and make a good demo. However if you're unable to work and/or really do need the funds then you can do a Kickstarter. You're project is interesting and seems has a good premise.Only thing is for a Kickstarter you do need to make sure your presentation is well done. When you do it though make sure to tell others. From your Tumblr though it seems you're at a good start.

In the end though do what you think is best. It's fine to make a short demo, but just make sure it's the best that it can be. I wish you the best of luck, and hope to see things for your game run a bit more smoothly soon =).
Please support my Twitter, Tumblr and Patreon

Patreon
https://www.patreon.com/user?u=885797&ty=h

Current Projects

A GxG game about overcoming your fears and growing up in an forever changing world. Also focuses on lesbian relationships and self image.

Mermaid Sonata- A game about mermaids, magic, and adventure

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=37512

heartfragment
Regular

#12 Post by heartfragment »

Thanks so much for your opinion on the matter, philip and infel!
The majority on tumblr agreed when I asked, saying they'd wait longer for a better demo, so I think I'm going to opt for that method.
As far as I know, Kickstarter doesn't let people keep the funds that were backed towards them if they don't reach their goal, so I'd rather play it safe and have a good demo that is more likely to have interested people wanting to play the full version!

I did have one person on tumblr, though, ask me why I didn't come up with a proper budget for the demo ahead of time.
I'll admit that was my fault. I'm Canadian and am so used to seeing prices in Canadian Dollars that I overestimated my budget after the exchange rate.
The exchange rate between USD and CAD is a killer.

For example, if we count up everything I've spent/have commissioned and will be spending so far, the total is $510 USD. In CAD though, that's about $685, which is $170 more than the USD total. Yikes.
Published Project:

heartfragment
Regular

#13 Post by heartfragment »

Hi again, everyone! I'm back with some more updates.
First off: The logo is complete!
It was made by the wonderful BunBun, so many thanks to her for her awesome design!

I also have a preview of the GUI for you all to take a peek at.
It was designed by Anne, so thanks to her as well!

I hope everyone else will like the designs as much as I do!
Published Project:

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by try10 »

Beautiful! I hope we have many save slots. :D

heartfragment
Regular

#15 Post by heartfragment »

try10 wrote:Beautiful! I hope we have many save slots. :D
Yes, there are more save slots! :D Altogether there are 15 save slots.
Published Project: