SoulSet [Mystery/Romance/Fantasy] (GxB, GxG) DEMO AVAILABLE!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Nayru774
Regular
Completed: SoulSet, Blankspace
Projects: The Elevator Game with Catgirls
Tumblr: NoBreadStudio
itch: nobreadstudio

SoulSet [Mystery/Romance/Fantasy] (GxB, GxG) DEMO AVAILABLE!

#1 Post by Nayru774 »

Hi, guys! Nayru here, one of the two developers from NoBreadStudio. SoulSet is our first serious project, so exposure and awareness-rising is important for us. If this VN seems like your cup of tea, give the demo version a try! Any kind of feedback is always welcome!
You find yourself trapped in an eerie mansion with 5 other people who claim to have no recollection of their past. Who will you trust?

SoulSet is a mystery/romance Visual Novel set in a fantasy world, with unique characters and an engaging story that spreads along multiple paths and various possible endings, dependent on the player's choices.

FEATURES

- 5 major plot routes, with variations and various possible endings
- at least 5 unique characters (both male and female) whom you can pursue romance or friendship with
- surprising character and plot development
- over 20 sprite expressions for each main character, some enhanced with blinking animations
- content suitable for players of age 16+ (strong language, violence, blood, disturbing content, suggestive themes, implied bed scenes)
- Steam Achievements and Trading Cards
- available for Windows, Mac and Linux

THE STORY is set in a fantasy world, where magic is a common sight, dragons are rare but exist, spirits roam the lands and people's souls hold a lot more potential than one might expect.

The player follows the predicament of Mariko Blairnot, a young woman who finds herself trapped in an eerie mansion with five other people who claim to have no recollection of their past. Mariko herself can only remember scattered bits and pieces of an event that supposedly happened years ago, involving the death of her mother and the appearance of a mysterious stranger who offered his help to her and her closest companion, Isshin. With both of them nowhere to be seen in the building, Mariko and the rest of the cast investigate the mansion, only to find more questions with no answers. Working together to solve their predicament should be the most logical option. However… Is everyone telling the truth? When someone comes up with a way that could help in getting their memories back, Mariko is presented with the option to pair up with someone to see it through.

Who will she trust?

It’s up to the player to decide how the story unfolds.

CHARACTERS

Image | Image

Image | Image

Image | Image

ART

Character Sprites
Nayru is responsible for character sprite art in the game. She had put a lot of work into details and ended up making over 20 character expressions for each main character, some of which she enhanced with blinking animations. The sprites also have three versions of appearance when it comes to size, adding variety to in-game scenes.

Background Art
From the very beginning it was clear that a lot of care should go in the process of designing and crafting the background art of SoulSet. The story itself is meant to convey an atmosphere of mystery, suspense, all generously spiced with the arcane. MstMori set out to bring all that and more into the locations and backgrounds of the game.

Scene Art CG
The delivery of SoulSet’s story would not be complete without a good number of scene arts to accompany its many keypoints. MstMori strives to bring both quality and accuracy to his works in order to help the players get immersed in the story and the world of the game.

MUSIC

While we did consider aiming for an original soundtrack for SoulSet as one of our stretch goals, we figured that we’ll be a little less adventurous in that regard and settle for already existing music instead. We are very satisfied with the tracks we’ve managed to find and buy from freesoundtrackmusic.com out of our own pockets during the early development of the game.

FULLSCORE, Rick Dickert, Arif_Banto, Mike Vekris and Erdin are composers whose work we found particular interest in, and a lot of the music they created wonderfully manages to give our game that mysterious and suspenseful (and sometimes humorous) atmosphere we were looking for.

You can hear multiple examples of the music we have chosen in the videos and in the demo version of the game.

THE TEAM

PROMO ART

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

These are made specifically for the purpose of promoting our game, and they will be the basis for our wallpapers, postcards and T-shirt designs available during our Indiegogo campaign. Nayru will be working on them throughout the campaign and adding them one by one. Granted, there will be a promo art with Mariko, Marco, Yvonne, Apris, Shirr, Shira and Feathor, so you can look forward to each of them being added eventually.

Any kind of feedback is always welcome!
Thank you for your time!
Last edited by Nayru774 on Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:01 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Image Image Image

MilkChocoPanda

Re: SoulSet (GxB)(GxG)[Mystery/Romance/Fantasy] - Demo out!

#2 Post by MilkChocoPanda »

Whoa! I will definitely try this demo and tell you how it goes! The art looks good and the story looks interesting from the post, so I look forward to playing it.

EDIT: I'm just going to jot down my thoughts as I play...
I'm kinda confused as to why the narrator (?) came in and began to talk in third person. When we started to Mariko, it should have been in first person, right? I just found it a bit strange that someone other than me and my thoughts began to talk (Instead of, for example, "Mariko's head began to hurt," why isn't it "My head began to hurt"?). I'm also confused. If we're playing as Isshin(?), why do we answer choices for Mariko, and why can we see her sprite with everyone else, if we are playing as her? Do we switch around?

Other than that, I liked the amount of movements the characters had. It surprised me when Mariko kept moving around in the beginning and I really liked that; it was different. The art was wonderful! I kept staring at Shira's ruffles and folds, like seriously, A+++.

Spelling error when
Yvonne summoned her cat. "Attantion"= Attention
I really really reaaaaallly want to play more of this game!! I would definitely get it when it's out! How could you end it there?? That is super evil :(
I like Marco the most so far.
Good luck with the rest of the game!

ofdawnandtwilight
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by ofdawnandtwilight »

Shira (SoulSet)smol.png
Just like I've suspected from the start, Shira is my queeeen <3

I really enjoyed the demo, a bit confused at first but that was obligatory with the amnesia and all. I can't get enough with how crisp everything was, from the sprites to the animations and transitions in the demo, the product was really well executed! It's also cool how you get to have a bigger view of the scene, with all the characters are shown down to their legs and everyone just fits together in one screen. It doesn't look awkward at all and the backgrounds adapt well to them, and I'm all up for showing off and making use of gorgeous art throughout the whole game |D

I love all the characters equally, I was even struggling to pick whom to draw but I settled with Shira eventually :> Really like the touch of her twirled hair changing according to her emotions, though I find it a bit off that it would somehow grow longer at certain points hahahah AND APRIS DOES NEED TO CHOP HIS LEGS OFF OR SOMETHING, HE'S WAY TOO BIG FOR MY MONITOR (ok no, he actually looks fine BUT STILL)

The fanart isn't much, but I'd just like to show how excited I am for the game, and more of Lord Mutik's screen time, he(?) can hog all the game if he wants to I wouldn't even care.

Good luck in finishing the game, I'm very much looking forward to see it complete! <3

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by try10 »

Looks really, really nice. Magic, romance and secrets are a MUST in any game that I play. Downloading right now. :D

Nayru774
Regular

#5 Post by Nayru774 »

Thank you so, so much for showing interest in the demo! We're really excited and happy about all the positive reactions we're getting so far!

@MilkChocoPanda - I had a feeling the changes in POV could turn out to be confusing to a lot of players at first, and I suppose I should address that issue somewhere in our descriptions later on (a FAQ column would probably do the trick.) There are actually two reasons why I settled for that kind of approach, and one of them is heavily tied to the plot, so mentioning more would be a spoiler. But rest assured, it all should make a lot more sense later on. c:

I'm really happy that you liked the character animations/movements! I've spent a lot of time (with trial and error) trying to work those to perfection, so having someone take notice of them is nice surprise. c: I'm equally glad that you like the art!

Thank you for pointing out that spelling error! (I've re-played the demo to oblivion before releasing it myself and still didn't notice that one. I think that says a lot about beta-testing in general.)
In that case, welcome to the Marco army! (One of my friends decided to call his fanclub that way for some reason, Marco turned out to be her favorite as well. xD)
Either way, thank you for all your kind words! I'm going to give my absolute best while working on the full version of the game and I'm hoping it won't disappoint!

@nero279 - No way, no way! ; - ; It's our very first fanart! I could barely believe my eyes when I saw your post and I still have no idea what to say; I am so horribly flattered that you enjoyed the demo enough to do this! Thank you so much from the bottom of my heart! It's amazing and I absolutely love it!

(Have I already mentioned that we are planning to gather all the fanarts and make an additional digital artbook with all of them included available for free download with the release of the game? We think that it's a wonderful way of people showing their support and we would like to encourage that. Obviously, we'd love to have yours there, if you wouldn't mind!)

And again, I'm so happy that you liked so many elements of the game! I think I remember getting the idea to try using bigger and smaller character sprites while playing Steins;Gate, since it added some variety in a lot of places, and I liked that. So I'm definitely glad to hear that it was a good decision to try and experiment with that. c:

Again, thank you so much! I'm going to give my absolute best while working on the full version of the game and I'm hoping it won't disappoint!

@try10 - Thank you for the interest, we're glad to hear it! c: We'd love to hear if you liked it once you manage to get to it!
Image Image Image

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by try10 »

I finished playing the demo and I found it really interesting. Feathor is my favourite character and I really hope he is romanceable 8) cause the other guys didn't manage to catch my interest. I don't know if it sounds odd but I liked Mariko sprite better when she was younger. Her sprite when she is older seems a bit off. I'm not an expert at drawing, but something is strange :? , her waist is too big and her chest looks weird. I think the clothing she is wearing right now doesn't suit her and she looks better wearing brighter colors cause it's easier on the eyes, but that could be my personal preference ( I seem like a fashion freak right now O_o, :oops: so sorry... Maybe a black asian costume similar to the lavender one :oops: ? Shira is super awesome! :D ( but she looks a bit manly and I have some thoughts about that ;) )
The plot is nice and I want to know the truth about Mariko's memories and her family. Why are all of them gathered there? What is the purpose of all this? There are many questions and I like it. :o
I wish you the best of luck with your project! :)

Nayru774
Regular

#7 Post by Nayru774 »

@try10 - Thank you for playing, we're glad you liked it! c: Regarding Feathor... I can't answer that question to avoid spoilers. But I can assure you that there will be more than 2 romance-able male characters in the game. As for Mariko's appearance - we're planning a stretch goal with additional outfits for all characters, so we'll see how that turns out. Personally, we don't have a problem with Mariko's dress (if you think that's bad, wait till you see her earlier character designs, haha) but we'll keep your observations in mind. c:

I'm also very happy that the plot managed to intrigue you! c: I personally love it when a VN manages to intrigue me enough to want to wonder what the deal is and which options are true or not and then when the game rewards me with unexpected twists and turns despite my assumptions. That's one of the biggest reasons why I'm putting a lot of heart and thought into the story, hoping that at least some of the players will be able to experience such a thing here, too. c:

Thank you for your interest and for sharing your thoughts with us!
Image Image Image

Agashi
Regular
Completed: Celestial Crossing, This My Soul
Projects: Queen's Crown
Organization: Code: Silk
Tumblr: queenscrownvn
itch: agashi

#8 Post by Agashi »

Hello there! Popping in to say that I played the demo and enjoyed it quite a bit. I hope you don't mind, but I wrote down some of my thoughts as I played and thought I would share...

The good things: The art is lovely. The characters all have unique designs that are both aesthetically pleasing and memorable. The backgrounds are especially breath-taking, and manage to get the dark mood across very well, keeping things mysterious and intriguing... The characters themselves are fairly well-written, taking into account that the demo spends only a short amount of time with each one. Some of them have more personality than others, but that's realistic and not something I would consider a flaw. The area where the writing shines the most is when the characters interact and work off each other. I'm looking forward to seeing more of that. :)

The bad things: The pacing is a bit odd.
I'm sure the early scene with Feathor will be explained, but it felt awkward and tonally dissonant with what comes after. This could be helped by tweaking or completely nixing the shifting perspectives. It was a bit jarring to go from third person to first (or was it second?)
I understand wanting to leave the audience with a cliffhanger, but I was a little disappointed that the demo seemed to end before anything actually happens... From a narrative standpoint, the whole thing could have benefited from being slightly longer, but from a design/programming perspective, I can understand why you chose to release it this way. :)

Overall: If you smooth out the pacing a bit - which I definitely think you should consider if this project goes commercial - I think this game could be spectacular! I voted for you guys on Steam greenlight, because even with some of the flaws, I was entertained. There's a lot of potential here. Good luck with everything! :mrgreen:
Current Projects:

Image [GxB][Fantasy][Drama][Romance] Play the demo here!

Image [GxB][Sci Fi][Romance][Drama] Nanoreno '17 winner! Now COMPLETE!

Proud writer of Celestial Crossing! [Fantasy][SoL][High School][BxG] COMPLETE!

Nayru774
Regular

#9 Post by Nayru774 »

@Agashi - Thank you for playing! We're glad you enjoyed the demo! c: And yes, I will agree that the pacing may be odd at times, especially during the beginning of the game. I've already re-written the intro and changed the way of presenting it multiple times, but feedback showed me that I still need to change a lot of things (which is another amazing advantage to releasing a demo). I'll definitely continue giving it my best and we'll see how everything turns out in that regard for the full version of the game. c: Rest assured, I won't rest until I'm satisfied with everything as a whole.

Thank you for the words of advice and thank you for your support! c:

In other news, SoulSet got Greenlit! Thank you so much for all of your support!

And not only that - our Indiegogo campaign just went live!

SoulSet on Indiegogo!

We invite all of you to have a look and show further support for our project! There's also a new story teaser accompanying it, feel free to check it out! c:

That being said, further updates for the game will be posted on our Indiegogo campaign. Thank you and see you there!
Image Image Image

Nayru774
Regular

Re: SoulSet (GxB)(GxG)[Mystery/Romance] - Demo + Indiegogo!

#10 Post by Nayru774 »

I have updated the main post by adding more information and images to it, so feel free to check it out.

I've also finished work on three more Promo Arts for the characters and wanted to share them here, too. I hope you'll like them! c:

Another three to go!
Image Image Image

Nayru774
Regular

Re: SoulSet [Mystery/Romance/Fantasy] - 48h left on Indiegog

#11 Post by Nayru774 »

There are less than 48h left on our Indiegogo campaign, and we're really close to reaching our funding goal, so if there's still anyone who'd like to support us, we'd be eternally grateful! We're keeping our fingers crossed!

I have also added the remaining promo arts to the main post, along with all of the available T-shirt designs (you can find bigger versions of those on our main campaign page). I hope you'll like them!

Image Image Image

Baky
Regular
Tumblr: delicrieux

Re: SoulSet [Mystery/Romance/Fantasy] - 48h left on Indiegog

#12 Post by Baky »

I played the demo and I love it!!! :D

My fav characters are defo Marco and Feathor, just because I have a thing for evil wizards orz... :wink:

The art is great, the story is really interesting and all the characters have something different about them, whether appearance or personality wise and I really like that! I can't wait to play the full version, bookmarking for future updates!

Keep up the good work! <3
♡I write things for fun.♡

Nayru774
Regular

Re: SoulSet [Mystery/Romance/Fantasy] (GxB, GxG)

#13 Post by Nayru774 »

@Baky - Thank you so much! I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed the demo! ^^ And I'm happy to hear that Marco and Feathor got to your liking. ;3 I've put a lot of attention into making the characters varied in both personality and appearance, so I'm glad it's something people can appreciate. Thank you for the kind words! c:

Our Indiegogo campaign came to an end, although it's still going to stay on InDemand for a while longer, in case people who missed out on the campaign would still like to support us in any way. Since we've managed to reach our funding goal, we're determined to finish the full version of SoulSet for Q3 2016. We're already working hard and we'll try to make this the best VN we possibly can! Thank you for all of your support!

I've also added links to the main post, under which you can find us and stay in touch. Feel free to follow us for more frequent updates:

Tumblr | Twitter | Facebook | Itch.io | Fuwanovel | VNDB | Indiegogo

You can also find me personally on Twitter under @Nayru774 - I'm currently knee-deep in script-writing, but I also try to be active and reachable on the internet and it's always a joy for me to talk to other people, so feel free to poke me anytime~ ヽ(・∀・)ノ

Some wonderful people also drew more fanarts for us, and I'll also share them here because I love receiving any kind of fanwork. (*゚▽゚*)

Image | Image

Marco by Fari (http://scherwil.tumblr.com/) and Mariko by Marcianek (http://marcianek.tumblr.com/)

Of course, the SoulSet fanart contest is still on-going! For details and prizes, go here: http://nobreadstudio.tumblr.com/post/13 ... rt-contest
Image Image Image

Nayru774
Regular

Re: SoulSet [Mystery/Romance/Fantasy] (GxB, GxG) DEMO AVAILA

#14 Post by Nayru774 »

Development Progress for March!

Hi, guys! :) How have you been? Things have been busy here, over at NoBreadStudio! We promised to keep you updated on the development of SoulSet on a monthly basis, so here's our first status report.

1. Writing:
During the first couple of days, I gathered all of the scattered and randomly written-down dialogues and ideas that kept growing ever since we started working on the demo of the game and finally managed to produce a complete and comprehensible "flow chart" out of them. Sadly, I can't show you the board, because it's screaming with spoilers, but I had a lot of fun putting all of the character routes together and already can't wait for the moment when players will be able to explore them. :)

Now, let's talk numbers. I thought long and hard about how I should share my writing progress with you while spoiling as little as I can, and I came up with this: I'll be transparent about the "bad" character routes, while keeping the "true" character routes secret. Once all "bad" character routes hit their 100%, I will keep you updated on the overall script progress of the game.

The demo of SoulSet had around 10k words, with all its variations, leaving us with 60-90 minutes of playtime. It's following the demo that either of the character routes start, so I will be leaving the demo out of the equation.

Almost each character route has some repeatable plot-related scenes at the beginning, counting at around 7k words. Since some dialogues in those sometimes vary because of different character pair-ups, I'm still going to consider them as part of every route. Beside that, everything works as a completely separate chapter to explore.

The "ready to code" script progress so far:
- Marco's Bad Route and its variations: 90% done, at 15k words.
- Yvonne's Bad Route and its variations: 30% done, at 8k words.

2. Art:
Mori's been continuing work on the backgrounds, and while we won't be showing all of them to leave some surprises for the actual release, here's one showing a location in the game we figured we might as well spoil. ;)

You probably know what that means... Because, yes - beside the script - I've been also working on a second set of sprites for the characters, just for this location. 8D

And while we're on the topic of character sprites...

3. Stretch Goal Announcement!
Let's face facts - hitting our stretch goals won't be happening. As it turns out, SoulSet is very likely to have more than 5 major plot routes at this point (shhh, you know nothing), so our first stretch goal is also a little out-dated by now, anyway.

But, you know, this game is something I am very passionate about, and I was looking forward to drawing those pajama sprites, no matter how little time I have for everything else. So, I am crazy and I am offering an alternative.

We can help each other out. With SoulSet being our first project, we could definitely use more attention and exposure. I learned from the girls from Cotton Candy Cyanide (best regards, MoltenCherry!) that finding an active fanbase for your game can be really encouraging and interacting with people can be lots of fun, so I decided I want to take this one leap of faith and go for it...

From this moment on, till the night between the 13th and 14th of Apris (with the 13th being my birthday, and the 14th being MstMori's birthday; crazy coincidences, I know), if we manage to get just 100 #SoulSet hashtag posts on Twitter, I will draw those pajama party sprites for the final version of the game.
You can write your own posts or simply reblog some of mine or NoBreadStudio's. ("It don't matter. None of this matters.") You can find me here: https://twitter.com/Nayru774

DO IT FOR THE JAMMIES!! (Because SoulSet got featured on YuriNation!)
https://yurination.wordpress.com/2016/0 ... e-jammies/

4. Fanart Showcase #2!
This update definitely goes out to Marcianek, who is a dear friend and also an amazing artist - you should go and check her out!

http://marcianek.tumblr.com

Image | Image

Here are their original tumblr posts:
1. Yvonne: http://marcianek.tumblr.com/post/140808 ... a-national
2: Apris: http://marcianek.tumblr.com/post/140884 ... sual-novel

The second drawing with Yvonne and Mutik happened because of an inside joke related to the initial sketch of Yvonne’s first fanart, but I’m sure it gets the idea across. xD

It's always great to receive those! The support of other people encourages us to work harder! Thank you tons, Marcianku!

See you around and till next month!
Image Image Image

Nayru774
Regular

Re: SoulSet [Mystery/Romance/Fantasy] (GxB, GxG) DEMO AVAILA

#15 Post by Nayru774 »

Development Progress for April!

First of all, we wanted to announce that our 'Pajama Party' initiative on Twitter has ended with a total of 109 hashtags shared! Meaning that our goal of 100 has been reached! And you know what that means... The pajama character sprites are officially a go and will be included in the full version of the game! (This also means more work for Nayru, but she's still happy to make SoulSet a better experience.)

A big thank you to everyone who had participated in the event!

Now, without further ado - it's been a busy month for us, just like any other before it, and we're happy to share some more content with you again.

In terms of writing, here's SoulSet updated script progress:
- Marco's Bad Route and its variations: 95% done, at 16k words.
- Yvonne's Bad Route and its variations: 90% done, at 15k words.
- Apris' Bad Route and its variations: 30% done, at 8k words.
- Shira's Bad Route and its variations: 30% done, at 9k words.
- Shirr's Bad Route and its variations: 30% done, at 8k words.

Total word count for all routes so far: 56k words.

Nayru's been also working on more character sprites in the meantime. We have a bathhouse and some promises to keep, so there's work to be done!

Meanwhile, Mori's been continuing work on the backgrounds. Again, we wouldn't want to spoil much, but here's one we thought we could share.

So, wait... The cast won't starve? Or will they? And more importantly, who will make the tastiest meals?!

Oh, and before we forget, we also have two more goodies to share! It came to Nayru's attention that she's been seeing cat keyhole lingerie everywhere on the Internet lately (what kind of websites she's been visiting, it's a mystery), and all in all, the theme somehow turned into a birthday competition between Mori and her.

So, here's Mori's gift to Nayru:

And Nayru's gift to Mori:

We hope it's eye candy enough. ;)

See you next month!
Image Image Image