Highway Blossoms [GxG] (Romance, Road Trip) Steam Greenlight

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Syon
Completed: Highway Blossoms, HRP demo
Projects: Human Reignition Project, Highway Blossoms
Organization: Alienworks

Highway Blossoms [GxG] (Romance, Road Trip) Steam Greenlight

#1 Post by Syon »

Highway Blossoms

Developed by Alienworks (The Human Reignition Project) and published by Sekai Project, Highway Blossoms is a short yuri story set in the American Southwest. After an old gold rush miner’s journal is discovered, a nationwide craze begins as would-be prospectors try to solve the cryptic clues it contains and discover the miner’s hidden treasure. Amber, couldn’t care less. Wandering the Southwest in an inherited motorhome, she mourns the loss of her grandfather, totally unaware of the hunt taking place around her. It’s not until she meets Marina, a young hitchhiker wandering through the deserts of New Mexico, that things start to look up.

Highway Blossoms is being worked on by a mixture of core Alienworks staff and contractors. The staff is as follows:

Syon Santeria (Writer, Director)
Raithfyre (Co-writer, Producer)
Shiyun (Character Design, Sprite and CG Artist)
Weee [Katawa Shoujo] (CG Artist)
Rosuuri (CG Artist)
Myuto (Character Design, Coloring)
Badriel (Backgrounds)
Kevin Turner (Programmer and GUI Design)
Jake Abernathie (Music)
Anna Logue [Hatsumira] (Music)
Auric Orange (Editing)

Logo by konnett
Characters
Amber

Too serious for her own good, there’s a quiet sort of cynicism to Amber. She’s always been like this, but the death of her grandfather, who she affectionately called “Gramps,” has emphasized these traits, causing her to become very detached in her mourning. Fueled by coffee and Gramps’ old cassette tapes that she plays on a constant loop, Amber is taking her time as she makes her way out to California for a music festival in Palm Springs. Having been raised by her eccentric grandfather, she spent most of her childhood traveling around the midwestern United States with him in the very motorhome she inherited. With Gramps getting up there in age, they settled down, but he always talked about starting up again, this time in the Southwest. Unfortunately, he died before that could happen. Now left alone with two tickets to the music festival that Gramps’ bought before his death, Amber has taken it upon herself to do it herself. This trip is in his honor.
Marina

All her life, Marina has lived in a small town on the outskirts of Carlsbad, New Mexico with her gigantic family. In fact, she’d never even left the state until she was drawn by the allure of the treasure. Like the rest of the country, she was captivated by the story of the miner and set out to look for the gold on her own–until her car broke down in the middle of the desert several hours into her journey. Fortunately, she was able to wave down Amber, and that’s where our story begins.

Marina has a very idealistic take on the world, her inexperience fueling her already childlike naivety. While this may cause its share of issues, her naturally upbeat and cheery personality bring out a much softer side of the slightly callous Amber, as the latter increasingly finds herself taken with Marina, despite the occasional confusion and annoyance brought on by her seemingly unlimited amount of enthusiasm.
Watch The Trailer!
Last edited by Syon on Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

somestrangecircus
Regular
Completed: Palette Swap (NaNo 2016)
Projects: Yumi-chan's Wonderful Cake Shop
Organization: Some Strange Circus
Tumblr: somestrangecircus
Deviantart: somestrangecircus

Re: Highway Blossoms [GxG] (Romance, Road Trip)

#2 Post by somestrangecircus »

Whoo hoo! Looking forward to it.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

Syon wrote: ... Highway Blossoms is a short yuri story set in the American Southwest. After an old gold rush miner’s journal is discovered, a nationwide craze begins as would-be prospectors try to solve the cryptic clues it contains and discover the miner’s hidden treasure. Amber, couldn’t care less. Wandering the Southwest in an inherited motorhome, she mourns the loss of her grandfather, totally unaware of the hunt taking place around her. It’s not until she meets Marina, a young hitchhiker wandering through the deserts of New Mexico, that things start to look up.
Just a few questions:

* Will there be multiple endings?
* If the story were rated by the MPAA or the ESRB, what sort of rating would it likely get?
* Real world locations: How specific do you plan to be? Will the story depict recognizable places in detail?
Syon wrote: Fueled by coffee and Gramps’ old cassette tapes that she plays on a constant loop...
Audio tapes are not very durable, and tend to wear out quickly. Yes, I know this is a story, and I realize that not everything will be 100% realistic. Also, just last year, there was a major motion picture that depicted an audio cassette lasting many years.

Syon

#4 Post by Syon »

* Will there be multiple endings?
No, the VN will be of the kinetic variety. Word count is about 75k.
* If the story were rated by the MPAA or the ESRB, what sort of rating would it likely get?
The version released on steam would probably be around T for Teen. However, we'll be going into more specifics later.
* Real world locations: How specific do you plan to be? Will the story depict recognizable places in detail?
Very specific. There will be multiple recognizable places in the game, such as Shiprock, The World's Largest Thermometer, and Zion National Park.

Audio tapes are not very durable, and tend to wear out quickly. Yes, I know this is a story, and I realize that not everything will be 100% realistic. Also, just last year, there was a major motion picture that depicted an audio cassette lasting many years.
This will be addressed in the story.

telamon

#5 Post by telamon »

This is awesome, and it looks gorgeous. There aren't enough yuri games in English, so thank you.
Syon wrote:
The version released on steam would probably be around T for Teen. However, we'll be going into more specifics later.
Meaning that there is a chance for an R rating that is not on steam? Not that I want one, just curious. I prefer 15+ instead of 18+.

Syon

#6 Post by Syon »

Meaning that there is a chance for an R rating that is not on steam? Not that I want one, just curious. I prefer 15+ instead of 18+.
I'm not allowed to go into the details right now, but we think all parties will probably be satisfied with how that's all handled. So if you prefer an "all-ages" version, then you're definitely not being left behind.

wererat42
Regular

#7 Post by wererat42 »

Kind of disheartening it's almost 2016 and we're still at the point where yuri games are side projects that are kinetic novels with only one couple while BxG games are multi-route beasts.
I understand it's probably not your priority project, but all the major yuri games I've seen seem to die off or get forgotten.

Raithfyre
Regular
Completed: Highway Blossoms, Heart of the Woods
Projects: Highway Blossoms: Next Exit, Samayuuni, ???
Organization: Studio Élan
IRC Nick: raithfyre
Tumblr: considerrewordingthis

#8 Post by Raithfyre »

More yuri games is something that we'd definitely love to do. However, we have a commitment to finish our other game, The Human Reignition Project, as we held a Kickstarter for that game. Once it's completed, I personally love the idea of working on a lengthier, more in-depth yuri game. There's also Starlight Vega, which should be out early next year - I worked on that game for a little while and it's a multi-route yuri game.

Kinmoku
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: One Night Stand
Projects: VIDEOVERSE
Tumblr: gamesbykinmoku
itch: kinmoku

#9 Post by Kinmoku »

I really like the look of this! :D The voice acting is really well done. Can't wait to play :)

Leshiy133
Regular
Projects: Love Sorcery, Miracle Fair, Hlidskialf: Odyssey
Organization: When Pigs Fly

#10 Post by Leshiy133 »

Very cute art! :3 Girls are amazing!

Syon

#11 Post by Syon »

Kinmoku wrote:I really like the look of this! :D The voice acting is really well done. Can't wait to play :)
We're glad you like it! Unfortunately, the voice acting is for the trailer only. Our budget doesn't factor in voice acting and we'd only want the best. However, if the game does well upon release and the demand is there, it's something we'll definitely consider!

TheKiwi
Regular
Projects: The Waters Above, Heart of the Woods
Organization: Studio Élan
Tumblr: minutekiwi

#12 Post by TheKiwi »

Really happy to see such a promising yuri game! I love the art and setting. Good luck guys!

Syon

#13 Post by Syon »

We have a new blog post up where we answer questions about an 18+ version, show off locations and introduce new characters! Check it out. We'll be posting the pictures and art in here soon.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#14 Post by papillon »

You make a post to say you've made a post but don't link to the post?

Syon

#15 Post by Syon »