Queen's Crown [Romance/Fantasy/Drama/GxB] DEMO UP!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
crystalscm
Regular
Completed: Suiyue
Projects: Scales of Fate
itch: tsukimii

Re: Queen's Crown [Romance/Fantasy/Drama/Otome] DEMO UP!

#76 Post by crystalscm »

1. Who is your favorite character or love interest so far?
I'm equally interested in Noah and Teiran. My liking towards Noah comes from his aura of mystery and enigma both from his description and appearance. I guess I have a thing for such characters. I also like Teiran, who seems fairly moody (maybe even fickle?). I can't wait to see what he has in store...

2. If you happened to check your attributes screen during gameplay, what were your stats like toward the end of the demo?
Unfortunately, I didn't really finish the entire demo, and I didn't check the attributes screen. I might do that in the future and let you know of it, though (in other words, I might edit this post sometime with the stats I ended up with).

3. Did the story hold your interest? Which part(s) was the most fun for you? If your answer contains spoilers, please use tags!
Like I said, I haven't really finished the entire demo. I honestly enjoyed all the parts I've read so far though.

4. Finally, what are your overall thoughts on the game, so far?
To be honest... there were some sentences which felt sort of awkward and/or choppy to me. Although you don't have to, you might want to get an editor (I'd love to help, but I don't even know if you're willing to take one). That's just me and my criticism side when it comes to technicality, because I think that sort of stuff is pretty important.

However, the storyline is very good overall! Is this game commercial?

tantivy
Regular

#77 Post by tantivy »

My favorite love interest is Emry. I also like Jeisa and Phedre a lot!

2. If you happened to check your attributes screen during gameplay, what were your stats like toward the end of the demo?
I had 5 charisma, 6 intelligence, and 2 combat at the end.

3. Did the story hold your interest? Which part(s) was the most fun for you? If your answer contains spoilers, please use tags!
The story held my interest for the whole demo and it was really enjoyable. I didn’t find it predictable. Rather than a specific scene, I think one of the most fun parts was just the overall aspect of getting to play as a character in the protagonist’s situation as a crown princess. I liked making important decisions (and lots of smaller ones too—it’s an impressive amount of choices!) and I liked her relationship dynamics with the other characters.

I'm excited to get to play the rest of the game because I like what you’ve completed so far~ Excellent work!

Other comments:
There was at least one particular instance where it was difficult for me to understand the difference between the dialogue/reaction choices offered; the content and connotations seemed very similar to each other. I don’t remember exactly where that was, but I could go back and find it if that would be helpful?
Maybe this is just me, but the characters’ reactions to the “wolf threat” seemed a little unbelievable, as though they were all overreacting and jumping to conclusions, which doesn’t seem to be in-character for some of the characters. Apparently no one dangerous actually made it into the princess’s room—only the chambermaid—and to me, finding that out made the whole situation suddenly feel a lot less urgent and dangerous. It would make sense for the characters to take the threat of possible violence seriously in order to be safe rather than sorry, but even calm characters like Emry and the Commander seemed to panic, even though no real evidence proved the letter was anything more than a bluff that anyone could have written. I guess what I’m saying is that my reaction as a player was different from the reactions of the characters, so I felt a disconnect, or break in immersion. I don’t know if this is at all useful to you; take from it what you will.
Finally, I have to say that Ser Korin is adorbs! Based on comments from you and other users, it seems unlikely that any possible extra route would be his, but I have to admit I immediately thought of that. (But then again, Jeisa deserves someone lovely too...) Personally, I tend to like characters that are friendly and cheerful like him, so to me it would be ideal to have an extra route for a character who is not abrasive.

ETA: Noyemi's music is super rad and the sprites are beautiful! (I hope you get to keep these sprites for the full release. I'm already getting attached to how they look now. Jeisa's sprite is so nice, for example; the expressions are perfect!)

SNSeed

#78 Post by SNSeed »

Honestly, all of them. I thought I would end up liking Noah much more than the other suitors, as brutes are more my type, but they all have a nice charm about them.
I didn't expect to like Emry at all, but he's so kind that it's hard not to.
Lady Jeisa is my favourite non-romanceable character, she seems kind & it's adorable how much she appreciates her home being spoken of.

charisma 6, intelligence 5, combat 2

It did, I love that your choices influence your character & every interaction is incredibly fun as there are so many options to pick from. I like that the Queen mother is kind, unlike a few other games with royalty. & I appreciate that you don't have to choose certain options you don't agree with.
re: The young Queen dowager's fate.
I sympathized with her, despite the princess thinking that she shouldn't.
I am rather excited for it to be finished, it seems like one of those games you need to set time aside to play because you won't want to stop once you start (and the art is beautiful).
I wasn't interested much before trying the demo but now I eagerly look forward to the Kickstarter.

Noyemi K
Regular
Completed: Pimiko Plus
Projects: Pairs, Monochrome Blues
Organization: Delmunsoft
Deviantart: NoyemiK
Github: NoyemiK
Soundcloud: mishkahd

#79 Post by Noyemi K »

Can't wait till ya hit kickstarter!

...because I can't wait to finish the score ;)
Music composer for:
Innate Imperfections [NaNoRenO 2015] | Blind Griffin [NaNoRenO 2015] | Locked Souls

Please consider hiring me to work on your game.

Isotta

#80 Post by Isotta »

Definitely Noah, it was love at first sight!

Charisma 3
Intelligence 7
Combat 3

I found the story quite addictive. The plot, the pacing and the characters (not only the romanceable ones) were all simply perfect in my opinion. Honestly, I’ve appreciated being able to make decisions that raised or lowered the protagonist’ stats and at the same time they were determining her personality and how the other characters reacted to them. The part I found most fun was the very first encounter with Noah, not only because he’s my favorite, but because I liked the way he is testing her and how she can stands her ground and actually amuses him by choosing the right dialogue’s options.

Plating the demo made me realize that this game has so much potential!
I’m totally looking forward to its release date!!!

Rascality

#81 Post by Rascality »

Oh my goodness, this is fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing the demo. To address the questions --

I love Emry (he's pretty much exactly my type, from what I've seen so far), but I also REALLY enjoyed Noah's scenes, so favorite LI is currently a bit of a toss-up! All three of them are really intriguing, though, and I'd certainly be interested in playing all the routes and looking for ending variations. It's hard to pick a favorite character, though - you've done a lovely job creating an interesting cast and I like so many of them!

At the end of the demo I think I had 3 charisma, 7 intelligence, and 2 combat. (Looking at other people's scores leads me to believe I missed some conversational stat gain points. Curses!)

Very much so! So many story threads I'm looking forward to following to completion. I actually think my favorite part might be the scene where you can help Jeisa and the Ser Korin find common ground for small talk, because it was ADORABLE but also made so much sense; that's an important skill for a future political figure to cultivate!

Loved what you have so far, and I'll definitely need to keep an eye out for your Kickstarter! Do you know when you're aiming to launch it?

Agashi
Regular
Completed: Celestial Crossing, This My Soul
Projects: Queen's Crown
Organization: Code: Silk
Tumblr: queenscrownvn
itch: agashi

#82 Post by Agashi »

I AM ALIVE! Production slowed to a crawl over the summer for a lot of reasons, but now that I've got the time and motivation back, I thought I'd answer some of the comments that I've been neglecting. Rest assured that the KS really will be coming out shortly. We're shooting for Friday, August 12th, in fact.

@rosemirror - Thanks for playing the demo and weighing in on the confusing combat/strength/war mess. :wink: I think I'm leaning most toward strength now, since it can be read the most like a personality trait similar to intelligence and charisma, so we'll see.

@Aetheria - You don't sound cranky at all! I'm glad you found the writing well-paced. I tried hard to avoid using too many long-winded descriptions since the writing already lends itself toward formal and flowery. I didn't want to bore anyone, haha... As far as the opening screen goes, I'd like to do something... prettier and more immersive with this, so it's probably going be presented differently in the full game. I'll keep your thoughts in mind when the time comes.

To address your critiques: I think I've caught the "dias" misspellings and those should be fixed in the full version. :) The preferences stuff is high on my list of priorities when it comes time to tweak the GUI. Finally, the stats business. Ugh... These things are giving me such a headache. If they weren't so necessary, I'd scrap them. As it stands, you've pretty much hit the nail on the head, and that's why I've tried to start calling them "attributes" instead of "stats." A sort of nudge that they are intended to capture your MC's overarching personality more than specific skills. I'm probably going to be changing "combat" to "strength" since that sounds more indicative of a trait, but I think I'd still run into most of the same problems with the other two if I replaced them. Plus, the changing of the nouns to adjectives strikes me as a bit... odd-sounding? That's just me though. Thanks for all the comments!

@crystalscm - Thanks for sharing your thoughts, m'dear! I'll definitely consider getting an editor at some point in the future, once I get the rest of the game written. The main reason being that I might go back and change some things myself, and it would be far easier on a potential editor if I wait until I'm done tinkering with it all. :mrgreen: Oh, and the game will indeed be commercial!

@tantivy - Fellow Emry fan, welcome! I'm so glad you're excited about the game, and I hope to be announcing more news on development soon! The sprites are looking like they'll probably stay in the game since so many people seem to love them and yes, I agree that Noyemi's music is just lovely. :wink:

About the spoilers:
It's funny, but most of the characters take their cue on how to react to the letter from you, as the player. I mean, they'll all start out dismayed, but if you react to the situation calmly, everyone kind of follows your lead. Except Mother, but yeah... I'm going to gloss over your comment about Emry for now, *whistles innocently* but as far as the Commander's reaction goes, well... I beg the excuse that he takes his responsibilities very seriously. If there was a breach in security, HE is the one at fault. Even though the "breach" was just a simple letter delivered by your maid, the point is that it COULD have been something much worse. Greyson recognizes that. ALL THIS BEING SAID, the fact that you found the situation dissonant leads me to think I should maybe include some more dialogue options for a Princess who doesn't find the situation that big of a deal. :)
Korin is sadly not romanceable... He would be way too intimidated by your position and power to even try. I don't know if I'd include someone just like him as the additional character route, but I definitely think I'm going to avoid make him/her abrasive. If the extra character route gets funded on Kickstarter, I'll make a poll here and on facebook to see if people want to vote on what type of character the fourth option will be. :) I can't promise anything, obviously, but player feedback is very important to me... Anyway, thanks for your thoughts!

@SNSeed - Aw... you say such nice things about my characters. :oops: It's really rewarding to hear from someone who didn't expect to like the game, but was won over, at least in some ways. I hope the game continues to meet - and hopefully exceed! - your expectations. :D In case it wasn't clear, thank you so much.

@Noyemi K - Your music's been a big hit! I can't wait to get this damn Kickstarter up and running so that I can compensate you for all the hard work you've done. Look for it to kick off around August 12th!

@Isotta - You're so sweet, thank you! *Hugs* Noah's a lot of fun to write, so I'm glad you enjoyed him. There will be much more romance for him and the others in the full version of the game. :wink:

@Rascality - Haha, I can't say I'm not a little pleased that the boys are making it tough for you to choose between them :twisted: If I may offer a suggestion though, (since you seem to be interested in the different endings and such) try doing Noah's route the first time you play the full game. You won't be sorry! Also, super happy you enjoyed the little conversation between Korin and Jeisa. Their interactions seem pretty popular so far, and there will be more - much more! - in the full game. :D Thanks so much for taking the time to leave feedback!

THANKS EVERYONE! I'll keep this thread updated as things unfold. :mrgreen:
Current Projects:

Image [GxB][Fantasy][Drama][Romance] Play the demo here!

Image [GxB][Sci Fi][Romance][Drama] Nanoreno '17 winner! Now COMPLETE!

Proud writer of Celestial Crossing! [Fantasy][SoL][High School][BxG] COMPLETE!

Agashi
Regular

Re: Queen's Crown [Romance/Fantasy/Drama] DEMO/Kickstarter!

#83 Post by Agashi »

Hold your breath, folks. The eagle has landed on Kickstarter! :mrgreen: If you have time and a little cash to spare, please check it out!

Also, to help promote the campaign, we have decided to host a Q and A session ON the Kickstarter page. Have any burning questions you'd like to ask our main cast? Want to ask Noah more about Tawarian culture or language? Want to ask Teiran about his unapologetic trolling? Or perhaps you just want to ask Emry how many times a day he has to brush his hair to get it looking so ridiculously pretty?

Let me know here or on facebook or twitter if you have an idea for a question, and I'll try to work it in somehow. :D Thanks, everyone!
Current Projects:

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#84 Post by Harliqueen »

I am so excited and happy to see the Kickstarter was successful!! Can't wait for the game, and I'm really hoping for those stretch goals :D (Yours is the first game I've ever backed, so it's doubly exciting!)
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#85 Post by Zelan »

Oh my gosh, fully funded in two days?? That's fantastic! Congratulations, Agashi! ^_^ Here's hoping for some stretch goals to be reached.

DaR
Regular

#86 Post by DaR »

Noah, probably, but I really like Emry, too. Still, they all seem interesting enough that I'm looking forward to playing all their routes.

I won't lie, when I saw this question I had no idea what the attributes were, and had to open up the game and search for option to see them. But it's my bad for not looking closely at the text box, hah. My stats were 5 charisma, 6 intelligence, and 1 combat... which makes sense since I didn't even know there was something to check!

Oh, yes, it held my interest! I was on the edge of my seat at some parts. I don't think I have a part I'd say was the most fun, since I enjoyed the whole demo. :)

It's shaping up to be a fantastic game and I'm so happy the Kickstarter got fully funded. Playing the demo convinced me to back it. Great work so far!
I support Mr. Darcy~ <3

Agashi
Regular

#87 Post by Agashi »

Ah, you guys are great, thanks so much for the kind words (and the pledges!). Now I'm just praying for some of those stretch goals to be reached so I can provide players the best experience possible. :D

@ DaR - Don't worry about missing the attributes. I've made it to where min-max style players and players who just want an immersive, story-driven experience can both have their way. ;) They're really just there to give you a general idea of what personality you've presented to the characters. Really happy to hear you enjoyed the demo and thank you very much for the pledge! ♥
Current Projects:

Phoenix

#88 Post by Phoenix »

I liked ALL the characters, though the one who first caught my interest was Teiran. I wasn't sure I'd be as interested in Noah and Emry just based on their descriptions, but then after interacting with them in game I'm not sure how I'll choose between them! My first princess will just have to flirt shamelessly with all of them~

On that note - I haven't read the entire thread, so sorry if this has been answered previously - will the LIs notice/react if the Princess is 'pursuing' more than one of them at a time?

I played through a couple of times with different characters. I think by the end of the demo my first character had about 6-7 intelligence and 3 charisma, not sure if she had any combat ability (she's relying heavily on being able to talk her way out of 90% of what gets thrown her way and charm someone into helping the other 10% of the time...) and the other one who was less politically inclined had about 5 combat, 2-3 intelligence and 0 charisma. She did have a couple of points of charisma at one point but I guess she must have lost them through some 'undiplomatic' dialogue choices!

Definitely - though I love Dragon Age, A Song of Ice and Fire, and intrigue so it's right up my street. I really liked any part where you could slip subtle insults/witticisms in while ostensibly being perfectly polite and proper.
Like when you first meet Teiran, though sadly he seemed to respond better to my second princess who just blew up at him whenever he got on her nerves, whereas my first princess was more inclined to treat him like a bratty child and ignore him or embarrass him. Politely.
I really enjoyed it!
I was surprised that the threat of your sister-in-law was dealt with so quickly - I was sure she'd be a thorn in my side for most of the game, but I guess the obvious threat was a bit too obvious. ;) I sentenced her to death on both my playthroughs which my second princess struggled with a lot more, but I just couldn't bring myself to leave a potential wolf at my door... I look forward to seeing what else gets thrown the Princess' way!
I haven't backed the kickstarter yet but I 100% intend to once I've been paid. =)

Agashi
Regular

#89 Post by Agashi »

Update:

Had to edit this because HOLY SH*T WE GOT OUR FIRST STRETCH GOAL. *Hyperventilates* This is amazing, you guys... We'll finally be getting a sprite for the MC with different hair, eye, and skin colors to choose from! Rejoice!

On a lesser - but hopefully still cool - note, our Q and A with Emry was a lot of fun to put together last week. If you missed it and you'd like to know more about our brooding Lord of the Treasury, check out the update on our campaign page. :mrgreen: The Q and A with Noah will be this Friday, so if you have any questions you'd like him to see him answer, leave them here, on facebook, or tweet them @queenscrownvn

Also, we are on Steam Greenlight now... If you like what you've seen of Queen's Crown so far, please drop in and vote for us! :mrgreen:

@ Phoenix -
Ooooh, another Teiran fan. I swear you guys are like pandas. I get excited every time I see one, like you're endangered or something, haha #TeamPanda. As for how the LIs react to each other: let's just say that although the princess can safely get to know each of her suitors better (read: flirt) in the early parts of the game, there are consequences if she doesn't show preference for one over the others.

Hm, it appears I'll have to make it easier for players to gain points in charisma and combat. Everyone has been overwhelmingly intelligent so far, haha... I'm really glad you're enjoying the game so far, and I was very glad to hear that you mixed it up and tried role-playing as different types of princesses. That's what I wrote all the different dialogue options for, after all! Thank you very much for all of the kind words and support! :lol:
Current Projects:

Agashi
Regular

Re: Queen's Crown [Romance/Fantasy/GxB/GxG?] DEMO/Kickstarte

#90 Post by Agashi »

UPDATE:

We've reached our second stretch goal! That means more romance for everyone! Help us decide what flavor by voting HERE on whether you'd like to see a fourth GxB route, or a GxG romance option for those so inclined. :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: a lot is still up in the air about the potential love interest's personality and background (and in Nadia's case, even her name), but I figured gender is a basic enough thing that it can be decided on by a simple majority.

Votes will be counted up on Saturday, Sept. 3rd!
Current Projects: