Shining Ruby! [BxB/G][Comedy, Magical Boy]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo.
lilliesandcoffee
Projects: Shining Ruby!, Mother's Roses

Shining Ruby! [BxB/G][Comedy, Magical Boy]

#1 Post by lilliesandcoffee » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:23 am

-ABOUT-

Shining Ruby is a free Magical Girl Visual Novel with a twist. It features a wide variety of gameplay elements, including five gettable characters, multiple unique endings, with heavily choice influenced paths, minigames, point raising meters, and unique variations depending on your playthrough.

The story is planned to be organized in episodic segments, with certain events and goals as the main focus for each arch. The story will combine typical visual novel playthrough with point based map movement in order to get to new locations. It will most likely be recommended for 14+ audiences. Although it will have no explicit content, mild language and gutter-brained innuendos may be present.
-SYNOPSIS-

17-year-old Sugihara Mitsuki likes to think he’s not different than any other schoolboy. He had exams to study for, assignments to do, bullies to deal with, and pain-in-the-ass teachers to give the slip. It would all be very good and well if not for that one awful… little incident 4 years ago.

After accidentally inheriting the powers of Shining Ruby in place of his younger sister, Mitsuki has found himself burdened with the responsibility of being the local magical girl. It’s not an easy job, fighting in a skirt despite still being male, but somehow Mitsuki has managed to not let battling villainous punks get in the way of his school life… until now.

When Shining Ruby’s arch-nemesis, Dark Starling, unexpectedly discovered Mitsuki’s true identity, instead of immediately using it to his advantage, he proposes a challenge; if Shining Ruby can discover his identity in return within the period of three months, he will withhold Mitsuki’s greatest secret. Together with the aid of his trusty(?) handler, troublemaker sister, and overly-helpful best friend, he must work to discover the identity of the enemy before time runs out.

-GOAL-

Figure out Dark Starlings identity by collecting clues and getting to know the suspects. A subgoal of the game is to befriend or even become more with the other characters. Mitsuki doesn’t necessarily need to be in a relationship to get a good ending, since the main goal is to discover the identity, but it can affect the endings.

________________________________________________________________________________

-CHARACTERS-

Sugihara Mitsuki:
“You’re expecting me to carry around this flashy piece of junk in my pocket all day?”

The protagonist. Sharp-tongued and dour, his troublesome personality tends to drive away most people. As a result, he can only count his friends in one hand. Despite his shortcomings, he goes out of his way to become as close to a normal teenage boy as possible.

Sugihara Tatsuki:
“I wanted to see my brother get totally trashed!”
Mitsuki’s younger sister and a first year. She’s a troublemaker at heart and shows villainous tendencies despite her strong heroic lineage. Though her penchant for mischief often spells trouble for Mitsuki, Tatsuki herself very rarely gets caught causing mayhem.

Pucchin:

“Everyone knows that you have to be rich to be a super-villain.”

Mitsuki’s mentor and handler rabbit. He’s been the handler for the Shining Ruby lineage for generations. He’s trusty and dependable, or so he says. In truth, he’s getting senile due to age and has a very eccentric view of the world.

Takaki Hokuto:
“What’s up babu, did your awful bunny bite you again?”

Mitsuki’s best friend since childhood and a third year. She’s a pretty popular girl with lots of friends, the exact opposite of Mitsuki. Having known the Sugiharas for ages, she’s the only one who knows Mitsuki’s secret. She’s supportive and dependable towards both Mitsuki and Tatsuki.

Dark Starling:

““Huahaha! Is that the brightest you can shine?” ”

Just as Shining Ruby has been in the heroing business for generations, the Dark Starling has been a villain for generations, and this generation’s Dark Starling is no different. True to his lineage, Dark Starling is Mitsuki’s number one nemesis.

________________________________________________________________________________

-THE SUSPECTS-

1. Yamada Michio:
A popular guy in Mitsuki’s class. His big-headed and showy personality is reminiscent of Dark Starling. However, due to his natural charm and good looks, any tendency to create trouble is often overlooked and he is rarely seen without his group of friends.

2. Morishige Ken:
A third year and captain of the boxing team. His athletic and fit physique is the most similar to Dark Starling’s build. He is known to be a reliable upperclassman and a decent boxer, but he seems to be hiding a shocking secret that propels him to the top of the suspects list.
3. Kawata Yashiro:
Not much is known about him other than that he is a second year and in Mitsuki’s class. The most mysterious of the four suspects, Mitsuki will have to work hard to unravel his identity alongside Dark Starling’s challenge.

4. Ando Chiaki:
Mitsuki’s least favorite person and a member of the student council. He’s sweet, kind, and an upstanding student to everyone but Mitsuki. He has a darker, meaner side that he shows only to Mitsuki, and this animosity is a cause for suspicion on Chiaki’s part.

-OTHER TROUBLES-

Mr. Sensei:

“Stop looking as if you are going to cry again, Sugihara.”
A large, eccentric, muscular man who teaches Norwegian to Mitsuki. He’s infamous among students and teachers alike as being hard to please and harsh with his punishments. No one knows exactly why there’s suddenly a compulsory Norwegian class in the curriculum and why there’s a Norwegian man in a Japanese school, but no one is brave enough to question Mr. Sensei’s authority.

Various Sub-Villains:
Just because Dark Starling is causing a stir, doesn’t mean the other villains are going to suddenly go on a hiatus. Shining Ruby still has to deal with the common rabble in order to keep evil at bay. And who knows, maybe these sub-villains have something even more sinister behind them?
-STATISTICS-
Script: 31,000+/???? words
BGs:
  • Lineart: 11
    Complete: 1
    /??
Sprites:
  • Rough: 16/20
    Complete: 3/20
CGs:
  • Rough: 2/???
    Complete: 0/???
GUI: Not yet implemented
Programming: Not yet done

-QUESTIONS!-

• -What do you think of the plot so far?

-Which character appeals to you the most? Why?

-Would you be interested in playing the game?

-Are you able to predict who Dark Starling is? If yes, why and who?

-Any other comments or critique are welcome!

• -Credits-

Logo by AtomicInvasion
Story idea/director by lilliesandcoffee
Script and Backgrounds by csky
Sprites, CGs and programming by lilliesandcoffee

ATTENTION! We are currently looking for a GUI artist. The details are in our recruitment thread here. If anyone is interested, please send a PM to both me and csky. Thanks!
Last edited by lilliesandcoffee on Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
"You're more of a venus flytrap and vodka type of person." - Someone who knows too much

kyakyakyu
Regular
Projects: Untitled Project #1
Soundcloud: kyakyakyu

Re: Shining Ruby! [BxB/G][Comedy, Magical Girl/Boy]

#2 Post by kyakyakyu » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:16 am

Hello, deez nuts (wha)

-What do you think of the plot so far?
I am confused whether Shining Ruby is a magic for girls or not (?), but this is getting interesting! What I get is that Mitsuki turns into a trans woman. Eh, but I dunno ono Maybe it's just me.

Mr. Sensei. My radar shows Norwegian teaching around here...~
I'm also sensing some moments of protag x Sensei around here, myeheh~

This game - in fact - makes me interested :D

So far not Yashiro and Chiaki, and I mostly suspect Ken. Imo someone with good reputation often has waaaay darker secret than the others. Yashiro might be mysterious, but mysterious =/= bad/evil. In fact, some mysterious people are light-hearted! And Chiaki, I think it's just because his hatred towards Mitsuki.
About Yamada, it's still so-so for me, but Ken is in the top list of Dark Starling villain for me.

Man, dat BG is bootiful QvQ
Looking forward for this btw! :D
・V O I C E A C T I N G ・ T H R E A D・

// nw: Competition for Satisfaction //

lilliesandcoffee

Re: Shining Ruby! [BxB/G][Comedy, Magical Girl/Boy]

#3 Post by lilliesandcoffee » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:42 am

kyakyakyu wrote:Hello, deez nuts (wha)

I am confused whether Shining Ruby is a magic for girls or not (?), but this is getting interesting! What I get is that Mitsuki turns into a trans woman. Eh, but I dunno ono Maybe it's just me.

Mr. Sensei. My radar shows Norwegian teaching around here...~
I'm also sensing some moments of protag x Sensei around here, myeheh~

This game - in fact - makes me interested :D

So far not Yashiro and Chiaki, and I mostly suspect Ken. Imo someone with good reputation often has waaaay darker secret than the others. Yashiro might be mysterious, but mysterious =/= bad/evil. In fact, some mysterious people are light-hearted! And Chiaki, I think it's just because his hatred towards Mitsuki.
About Yamada, it's still so-so for me, but Ken is in the top list of Dark Starling villain for me.

Man, dat BG is bootiful QvQ
Looking forward for this btw! :D
Sorry for your confusion! But Mitsuki does not turn into a girl in the process. He is still a boy despite having to run around in frilly dresses while fighting villains :D

And I'm glad Mr. Sensei appeals to you! That'd make my partner happy.

Thank you for your interest and the time you took to leave a nice comment! ^^
"You're more of a venus flytrap and vodka type of person." - Someone who knows too much

Moon20
Regular

Re: Shining Ruby! [BxB/G][Comedy, Magical Boy]

#4 Post by Moon20 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:54 am

I like the plot very much and I think the plot are very amazing.

Mr. Sensei I like since he teach Norwegian and Norwegian are my language since I'm from Norway

Yes I'm defently going to play this game.

yes and no, I think I have idea who is it but I'm must play the game before I tell, who I think Dark Starling are.

I love your game and I'm looking forward to play your game.
Do You best to finish with the game and good luck.

audrenes
Regular
Projects: Phoenix, Swan Lake, Kiss Me X
Tumblr: ajmakesvns

#5 Post by audrenes » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:07 pm

It sounds really interesting! I haven't seen a VN that uses the magical girl trope before, so I'm curious to see how this will go.

Pucchin is really adorable and seems like the type to have really funny dialogue with Mitsuki and/or Hokuto.

Heck yeah.

Mmm, I'm not sure yet, but right now Ken is at the top of my list, mostly by process of elimination. Michio seems too obvious to be Dark Starling, if his personality is similar to his-- so he's last on my list. Chiaki is a close second because of how he acts around Mitsuki, leaving Yashiro in third.

But (and I'm just reaching at this point lol) what if Hokuto was Dark Starling ???? : OOOO Like, she's the only one who Mitsuki told his identity to and maybe she's in a similar situation as Mitsuki and became Dark Starling instead of someone else or, if she doesn't have any male siblings, became Dark Starling because of that. And since I'm reaching already, what if the remaining suspects are the various sub-villains or other magical girls like Mitsuki : OOOOOOOO (i should stop now before i go off pffft)

I've played a game before that used a similar plot line of wooing your suspects (lol) and while it was good, it kinda made me disappointed that it didn't really allow the player to make an educated guess of who the person they were looking for was.

So what I would like to see the most is if the culprit (?) Dark Starling's identity is hinted or foreshadowed throughout the game, even in the routes that aren't his, if possible. It doesn't have to be a whodunit type of thing, just something that will allow the player to make an educated guess when the time comes to figure out or reveal Dark Starling's identity so that when they'll go back and shoot for the other routes, they can see all the hints dropped and have that "Oh wow, how come I didn't notice that before?" type of feeling. I would also love to see the conflict of Dark Starling's identity being revealed affect his relationship with Mitsuki in his route.

csky
Regular
Completed: Perceptions of the Dead, Embers of Magic
Projects: Various Commissioned Artwork

#6 Post by csky » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:14 pm

audrenes wrote:*Awesome feedback*
Thanks for your feedback. You're giving me too many good ideas dude. I might go and write all those things in.
The final comment was also useful, I'll be careful to make sure that things add up and it's all there for a purpose, but we don't want to make it to obvious who it is, because that will spoil the fun before it even begins.
Last edited by csky on Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lilliesandcoffee

#7 Post by lilliesandcoffee » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:25 pm

@Moon20: Thank you for the comments! :D We hope you get to enjoy the game when it's released and we really hope you're satisfied with Mr. Sensei's character. He's a fun person to write about and draw and he's both me and my partner's favourite character.

@audrenes: As my partner, csky, there had said: Thanks for the really awesome feedback and ideas! We love to hear ideas from other forum-goers and we really appreciate that you took the time to share your awesome thoughts with us. XD We're still in the midst of writing our script (which is looking super long right about now lol) so ideas are still very much welcome at this stage of development. So again, thank you.

audrenes
Regular
Projects: Phoenix, Swan Lake, Kiss Me X
Tumblr: ajmakesvns

#8 Post by audrenes » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:16 am

csky wrote:
audrenes wrote:*Awesome feedback*
Thanks for your feedback. You're giving me too many good ideas dude. I might go and write all those things in.
The final comment was also useful, I'll be careful to make sure that things add up and it's all there for a purpose, but we don't want to make it to obvious who it is, because that will spoil the fun before it even begins.
No problem! I'm glad to be of help! And I understand on making the hints really lowkey. I'm sure it'll be fun figuring out who Dark Starling is!
lilliesandcoffee wrote:@audrenes: As my partner, csky, there had said: Thanks for the really awesome feedback and ideas! We love to hear ideas from other forum-goers and we really appreciate that you took the time to share your awesome thoughts with us. XD We're still in the midst of writing our script (which is looking super long right about now lol) so ideas are still very much welcome at this stage of development. So again, thank you.
You're welcome! : ) As I said before, I'm happy to help in any way. Really looking forward to this!