Ocean Pearls [GxB] [Fantasy, Romance]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
pyopyon
Veteran
Completed: https://chouette.itch.io/
Projects: Ocean Pearls, Catching the Fox [NaNo16], Singles
Organization: Jellyfish Parade
Tumblr: jelpiparade
Soundcloud: pyopyon
itch: chouette

Ocean Pearls [GxB] [Fantasy, Romance]

#1 Post by pyopyon »

THE STORY.

Nova never thought she would return to Stonewater after her grandmother passed away three years ago-- but when she inherits the home she spent her summers in as a child, Nova finds herself returning to the small beach town.

Mysteries abound when she receives a mysterious package at her new home containing five intricately carved frosted glass spheres and a letter from her grandmother telling her to break open her happiness.

​She didn't understand at first...

But everything changed when she fell into the ocean.
ABOUT.

So... I am a lover of romancing personifications and this idea came about from my idea to make a VN where the love interests are personifications of the five major oceans (Atlantic, Pacific, Indian, Southern, Arctic.) I don't like ancient immortal x mortal pairs, so this has been boiled down to ocean kings. Basically you're romancing mer-kings. Yes. You're welcome. 8)

This game will be commercial with an estimated length of 50k in words per route. Pricing to be announced.

Anyway, let's get on with it!

MAIN CHARACTER.

Image not yet available.

Name Not Changeable.
Nova. A burnt-out sculptor who used to live in a beach town with her grandmother as a child. She inherits four mysterious glass orbs, the titular ocean pearls, from her grandmother. Nova realizes neither the origin nor the significance of the pearls, much less where her grandmother got them from but they are the catalyst that will get her unavoidably engaged to an ocean king.

LOVE INTERESTS.

In a series of (unfortunate?) events, Nova can end up accidentally engaged to one of these guys.

Images will become available as they are completed.
Kings revealed left to right, descriptions below in order.
Lemos. King of Juvion, the Allied Pacific Kingdom, which consists of the North and South Pacific territories. Logical and dry-witted, Lemos is pleasantly surprised at Nova's resourcefulness, considering his largely impatient personality. Because of his previously failed marriage, Lemos feels that he is not cut out for relationships. He cites as proof his deteriorated relationship with his ex-wife, the former queen, which was a massive failure on his own part (and... he's not totally wrong on that point.)

Isven. King of Noril. Officially the king of the Arctic Ocrean Kingdom, but it's only in title. Truly, what Isven is the king of is deadpan snarking and appearing desperately to want to be anywhere else. Unfortunately, his choice to be distant has led him to, not being much loved by the Norillean people, who would prefer a much more approachable head of state. With the right revolutionary, Isven could be overthrown at a moment's notice.

Soh. Imperial King of Calantia, the Atlantic Ocean Kingdom. Arrogant and rude to people he views unworthy of his attention, but valiantly dedicated to his people and is currently the only king dedicated to transitioning his kingdom from the war-mongering empire it once was. He’s grown up being told he has to be ruthless to people who’re below him (hence his distaste for humans who have a pretty bad rep as far as sea folk are concerned) but he genuinely wants the best for his people. Only has one redeeming quality--he really loves his brother.

"Indi". [Re-namable] Unshockingly, "Indi" isn't the real name of this eccentric King of the Indian Ocean. He refuses to reveal what his name is for nothing more than... anthropological reasons. More information coming soon.

???. A secret route.

IMPORTANT CHARACTERS

Abigail. The catalyst for the story and Nova's grandmother. Original collector of the ocean pearls, how she obtains them is revealed over the course of each storyline. No longer alive when the story begins.

Pietro Penza. Another catalyst for the story and Alessandra's grandfather. Old friends with Abigail, he takes a fatherly interest in Nova and attempts to secure her future by leaving her a house, specifically her (rented) childhood residence in Stonewater. No longer alive when the story begins.

PROGRESS

LEMOS [SOUTH PACIFIC]
Writing: ROUTE COMPLETE.
Art: Sketch | Line-art | Expression | Color

ISVEN [ARCTIC]
Writing: ROUTE COMPLETE.
Art: Sketch | Line-art | Expressions | Color

SOH [NORTH ATLANTIC]
Route Concept: Complete.
Outline: 100%
Writing:
- Chapter 1 | Complete.
- Chapter 2 | Complete.
- Chapter 3 | Complete.
- Chapter 4 | Complete.
- Chapter 5 | Complete.
Art: Sketch |Line-art | Expression | Color

"INDI" [INDIAN OCEAN]
Outline: 33%
Writing:
- Chapter 1 | Complete.
Art: Sketch | Line-art | Expression | Color

GUI: 100%
Logo: 1/1 [Complete.]
Icon: 1/1 [Complete.]
Sprites: 68% [Expressions stage.]
Backgrounds [Demo]: 70% complete
Encyclopedia: ...loading...

CREDITS.

logo by ds-sans
art by adamsdoodles
colorwork by qai
outfit design by kingv
background art by bunnyvoid
gui by winter
main menu bg by foxeleos
programming by andrewus
music by ericmatyas
everything else by owl.

QUESTIONS.

1. What do you think of the concept?
2. What's your favorite otome romanceable "type" (in general)?
3. Any questions?

As a side note, I would like to mention that the titular ocean pearls are quite plot important but all of their mysteries are explained in the story. How Nova's grandmother gets a hold of them or even finds out about them at all is explained in the story, but I don't want to spoil the Southern Ocean King's plot, so I'm taking care not to mention those details.
Last edited by pyopyon on Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:32 am, edited 46 times in total.
Image ImageImage

WiP: Image

✿ Writer for Trade/Commission ✿

pyopyon
Veteran

Re: Ocean Pearls [GxB] [Fantasy, Adventure(?), Comedy, Roman

#2 Post by pyopyon »

I forgot to mention, I added some questions in regards to the game's development! Feel free to answer them!
Image ImageImage

mysticichigo
Regular

#3 Post by mysticichigo »

1) I'm pretty sure romancing seasons has been done (on this forum, even), but romancing oceans is really original. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen personifications of them.

2) Either Lemos or Soh. On the one hand, I always love logical types (probably because I am one myself), but on the other, Soh's got the most growth to do, and growth is always the most interesting part of a romance to me.

3) Well, the logical types are usually the ones I go for first. Then again, that usually only applies when none of the available options seem to be the 'obviously villainous' type with some tragic motivation and a hidden thoughtful side, who really needs a hug and some guidance. (...I'm surprised by how specific that was, and I'm the one who wrote it.)

4) Well, anyone with an inferiority complex usually falls into the category of 'really needs a hug and some guidance', so I'm all game for that. (Once again, I'm reading this back to myself and wondering why I sound like such a mom.) Then again, I tend to find the whole concept of the 'childhood friend who's secretly in love with you' to be one of the least interesting as far as love interests go. Of course, there's usually exceptions to that, and every so often there is a childhood friend option that I end up enjoying.

If you've played the Amnesia otome game, Shin and Toma are probably the best examples of characters like that I can think of right now; they both were childhood friends of the heroine, but that's not all there was to their characters. (Though I definitely don't recommend using either of them- or at least, not Toma- as models to base a love interest off of. I liked Shin because he was abrasive and surprisingly crafty and reasonable, but even I thought he was too harsh sometimes. As for Toma, he definitely falls into the 'needs a hug and some guidance' category, if the 'hug' also involves a taser and some handcuffs, and the 'guidance' consists of a parole officer and/or psychiatric care. Their routes were really interesting, and I liked them as characters, just not as love interests.)

I guess what I'm saying is that love interests like that can definitely work if the character's entire gimmick doesn't resolve around them being a great, reliable guy whose only real fault is that they're both too shy to confess their feelings and too obvious in their infatuation to properly keep it a secret. If you can avoid doing that will Koh, his route will be worth playing.

5) My only question is this: why is the most open of the oceans the one who's unwilling to reveal his name? That seems somewhat contradictory. I may just not understand how it was phrased in his character description, however.

pyopyon
Veteran

#4 Post by pyopyon »

1) I'm pretty sure romancing seasons has been done (on this forum, even), but romancing oceans is really original. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen personifications of them.
Really?! How cool... ah, see I love the idea of romancing seasons. It makes sense because they're easy. You can describe a season like a person; hot and fiery summer, cool and sleepy winter, refreshing and calm spring and crisp, bright autumn. Plus, you know, they already come with color schemes so I'm not surprised that someone's already thought of it. But I'm surprised about oceans. I'm glad it's original!
2) Either Lemos or Soh. On the one hand, I always love logical types (probably because I am one myself), but on the other, Soh's got the most growth to do, and growth is always the most interesting part of a romance to me.
Ohh, right now Lemos is my favorite. I'm writing his route and I'm almost done with it, and let me tell you... I love him, haha. I've never written or played a love interest with a daughter so I hope that people like him anyway. He's a bit different, I think? Ah, but Soh... yeah, Soh is a fun route too. I haven't written it yet but I look forward to it.
3) Well, the logical types are usually the ones I go for first. Then again, that usually only applies when none of the available options seem to be the 'obviously villainous' type with some tragic motivation and a hidden thoughtful side, who really needs a hug and some guidance. (...I'm surprised by how specific that was, and I'm the one who wrote it.)
Ah, thank you! Since I already have Lemos in that role (of logical type) I don't think I can put another logical type (since having two logical types from the same ocean might not be as interesting) but I guess the twist would come from 'obviously villainous' with tragic motivations and a hidden... wow, that is specific. Hahaha. It's cute though! I have a rough time with villainous types in this particular setting because Nova doesn't really have to stay in the ocean, so it's like... 'why would she even go through this when she can just be like 'bye guys I'm going to the surface bc you all suck.''... Soh's route was hard to conceptualize for this reason, haha. Soh is... a piece of work. (Resident JwaHoG.)
4) Well, anyone with an inferiority complex usually falls into the category of 'really needs a hug and some guidance', so I'm all game for that. (Once again, I'm reading this back to myself and wondering why I sound like such a mom.) Then again, I tend to find the whole concept of the 'childhood friend who's secretly in love with you' to be one of the least interesting as far as love interests go. Of course, there's usually exceptions to that, and every so often there is a childhood friend option that I end up enjoying.
Ah, I see. Koh's inferiority complex honestly isn't made better by the fact that Soh... actually is quite competent and it's not Koh's imagination. Koh has his own strengths, but Soh was almost certainly born to be king, so Koh is kind of left in the rain anyway. He does need a hug and some guidance.

Ironically I was reading a descript of Amnesia today! I decided against it because the dark endings are a little wild for me... death by love interest is a bit much for me since I can barely handle bad/sad endings as it is so... yeah it ended up being a no-go for me & my wallet, haha. That said, Koh being a childhood friend falls into motivation for staying when Soh is a major bag of toenail clippings, so it's not really anything besides a plot device to keep her from being like, 'k, this looks like baggage, see u on the flipside' (like I would.)

I like this advice, though, I'll keep it in mind. Don't woobify Koh and he could be great. Check. Thank you!
5) My only question is this: why is the most open of the oceans the one who's unwilling to reveal his name? That seems somewhat contradictory. I may just not understand how it was phrased in his character description, however.
Ohh, you know it does seem like an error. (It is one... sorry.) He's an open person, very welcoming, very playful, but the reason he doesn't reveal his name is not really because it's a secret, he just thinks it's funnier if Nova comes up with something so he can be like, 'hehehe, you humans with your little naming conventions.' After she calls him Indi, his reaction to other characters in his route is, "Wait, wait! I'm called Indi now because the humans call me that. Isn't it charming?" <-- something like that. He interrupts before his name can be revealed. And of course, Nova is not the one who named the Indian Ocean that so she's kind of like, "Uh... I don't thinks humans... are like what you think they are"... plus, she's the only human who knows he exists, and thus the only one who calls him Indi... but Indi rarely listens and he's got an out-there sense of humor. He's a bit 4D. My inspiration for him is going to be Willy Wonka, hahaha.

I rephrased it a bit.

Thank you for commenting! I was worried that it was a dumb idea since it wasn't getting much response, so I'm glad you've replied. I've been writing Lemos' route while crying inside, haha.
Image ImageImage

mysticichigo
Regular

#5 Post by mysticichigo »

^Wow, you read through my whole long reply and responded to it sooner than I would've expected, actually. I'm pretty impressed right now.

If Lemos is a doting father in addition to being logical and snarky, then I'm definitely going to like him. Now I'm also really looking forward to Indi, because the Wonka of the Sea sounds like a good time.

pyopyon
Veteran

#6 Post by pyopyon »

mysticichigo wrote:^Wow, you read through my whole long reply and responded to it sooner than I would've expected, actually. I'm pretty impressed right now.

If Lemos is a doting father in addition to being logical and snarky, then I'm definitely going to like him. Now I'm also really looking forward to Indi, because the Wonka of the Sea sounds like a good time.
*bows flamboyantly*

Haha... I think it's just because I talk too much that I can respond to longer comments in a long-winded manner.

Oh, he is very much a doting father. I hope he's a fan favorite! I actually finished his sixth chapter today, so it's going quickly! But I'm more worried because I don't really have any solid ideas for chapter 8 and chapter 7 just has one necessary scene and the rest is ???? so... rough waters ahead (pun intended.)

Thank you again for commenting. It was very encouraging TT__TT
Image ImageImage

Nindes

#7 Post by Nindes »

1. I really like the idea of the personification of the oceans! I know that people have personified objects, animals, and food before, so doing the oceans isn't something that sounds too strange ^^

2. I'd say that Percival interests me the most. I'm interested in knowing more about the relationship between him and Nova's grandmother.

3. Hm, I enjoy the "having to tame the tsundere" type and "precious cinnamon roll who should be protected and loved" type.

4. Heck yeah. I'm a sucker for the childhood friends thing. (≧▽≦) I'm also interested in how his inferiority complex came about.

5. I do wonder what exactly did Percival do to leave him with a lack of self esteem and guilt, but I suppose that would be revealed in his story.

Also, this sounds like a pretty big project! Are you the only person working on it? Either way, I really like the concept of this game. I'll be cheering you on! ヽ(・∀・)ノ

pyopyon
Veteran

#8 Post by pyopyon »

Nindes wrote:1. I really like the idea of the personification of the oceans! I know that people have personified objects, animals, and food before, so doing the oceans isn't something that sounds too strange ^^
Thank you o/ I'm glad it appeals to you!
2. I'd say that Percival interests me the most. I'm interested in knowing more about the relationship between him and Nova's grandmother.
Ah, good. I really like Percy's character. His and Abigail's backstory was one of he first concrete things I had planned for this otome so I look forward to writing it!
3. Hm, I enjoy the "having to tame the tsundere" type and "precious cinnamon roll who should be protected and loved" type.
LOOOLLL tsunderes are so hard to write! I enjoy playing them to a degree (depending on the ratio of tsun:dere, haha.) I'm not sure what you mean by precious cinnamon roll, though. Do you mean an innocent character? A naiive/inexperienced character? A character who's been through a lot and should be protected bc of the mess they've been through?
4. Heck yeah. I'm a sucker for the childhood friends thing. (≧▽≦) I'm also interested in how his inferiority complex came about.
Ah, that... the inferiority complex just comes from the fact that Soh is better at everything, including kingship. Koh is a nice boy, but he wasn't groomed to be king the way that Soh was. He wants to be great like his brother, but his brother's natural abilities just put the bar so high that he can never measure up. His talents lie elsewhere, but just not in kingship. It's a hard knock life (for an Imperial Prince with a twin King who is better at literally everything involving leadership.)
5. I do wonder what exactly did Percival do to leave him with a lack of self esteem and guilt, but I suppose that would be revealed in his story.
Ah, yeah. Not to say much, but... Percy did Abigail dirty. |^: But he makes up for it by becoming an upstanding person! Abigail only just barely forgives him, even after decades. That's all I'll say. (^:
Also, this sounds like a pretty big project! Are you the only person working on it? Either way, I really like the concept of this game. I'll be cheering you on! ヽ(・∀・)ノ
Thank you! This is smaller than my first project though (that one is 12 love interests and is in development heckie loooollll. No, but it's got some CGs that need to be relined and then it's done... but the artist is busy and... honestly I'm not optimistic but I don't know what to do. -__- Anyway, this is only five? seven? so I'm less worried!

I'm doing most of the writing, but I have people who I bounce ideas off of. They're really great! There is someone else who is co-writing Isven's route... though it's more like they write it, we bounce ideas, and I rewrite in Nova's "voice" so I feel like it's 65:35 ratio, with me being 35.

I write quite fast though once I have an outline, so since I finished Lemos's outline today, I've been barrelling through chapters. (I'm on 8 now!)

Thank you! What a cute smiley, hehe.
Image ImageImage

pyopyon
Veteran

Re: Ocean Pearls [GxB] [Underwater Fantasy, Romance, Comedy]

#9 Post by pyopyon »

Just an update on my end since one may not be able to tell when I've updated a post or not-- but the South Pacific route is almost done, and will probably be finished this weekend, then some editing, and then handing it over to someone else to edit again.

While someone else is editing Lemos, I'll start working on our resident jerk-with-a-heart-of-gold, Soh.

I'm not looking forward to it, since JwaHoG aren't my favorite types but I wanted to try something new, and my idea bouncer says she's good with them, so I'll have help.

I decided that it's not Adventure enough to have the 'adventure' title so I took that out the genre label and added underwater.

I'm wondering if my first post is a little bit TL;DR so I'll go back and cut some of it to simplify.
Image ImageImage

pyopyon
Veteran

Re: Ocean Pearls [GxB] [Fantasy, Romance] [Commercial]

#10 Post by pyopyon »

SO! I cut out a lot of details (specifically, I removed all info about kings that'll be released later, as well as the imperial princes, so likely the posts above this will make much less sense.)

I scaled back, so although *I* would like the princes to appear, it depends on a lot of different factors. Don't worry about it for now. (^':

Anyway, as you can see, some good news! Sprite artist wingcinna, or Shida, from Pairs is now on this project, as well as the programmer of Pairs! (Thank goodness for Pairs, basically.)

I look forward to updating this thread again with our progress!
Image ImageImage

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#11 Post by Harliqueen »

I am so excited for this! :D The sketches for the MC look incredible.

Can't wait to see future progress :)
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

pyopyon
Veteran

#12 Post by pyopyon »

*brushes the dust off this thread*

Hello, all! I'm really writing to check in and say that I started an overhaul on the writing of OP. As a result, I've completed re-writing Lemos' route, which includes adding a whopping 17,000+ words to to the route!

Next up will be Isven's route re-write, and then as we move on forward, I will hopefully be a little better as far as updating this thread.
Image ImageImage

pyopyon
Veteran

#13 Post by pyopyon »

More writing has been completed (I'll update the first part soon!)

I actually got some work done on Indi's route! His personality was quite hard to pin down because I wanted the basic concept to touch on his being one of the few kings who doesn't mind Nova's presence or being engaged to a human.

He's pleasant! I also gave his route the option of choosing his nickname (though the default is still Indi, of course.)
Image ImageImage

Didules
Veteran
Completed: Sophie, Midnight's Café, The Phantom of the Hospital
Projects: SchizoValentine
Organization: Hidden Masquerade
Tumblr: hidden-masquerade

#14 Post by Didules »

Hi!

1. What do you think of the concept?
I have to say I am very very enthusiastic, the concept is great and the way you seem to be developing it is pure genius (can't wait to see how much the geography of each ocean will influence their design and plot, and how you'll have crafted the world they live in). It's been a while since I've felt so interested in a game after just reading a forum topic! So I wouldn't only praise the concept but also the way you develop and present it. I already feel invested in the game and can't wait to throw my money at you (and I'm serious).

2. What's your favorite otome romanceable "type"?
Heeee, I have to say I try to avoid particular "type" because often it means that the story/relationship dynamic will get very very predictable (*cough cough* hello Collar X Mallice *cough cough*)
So... The type that respects the main character? (Don't laugh, it doesn't happen that often in otome games :lol: )

3. Any questions?
Okay this may seem stupid but do you think you will develop Nova and Abigail's relationship (even if one of them is kind off dead)? I'm a sucker for family bonds in games (and fiction in general), and think that since Abi happens to be a plot-trigger and Nova and her are supposed to have had a close relatioship, it would be interesting to hear mre about her during the game, and not only as a plot device? I'm sorry if I'm unclear ><

Also very cool designs, love it!
I wish you all the best in your dev and will be following this topicquite closely :)

J-Ray
Regular

#15 Post by J-Ray »

I really like the general idea - it sounds like a good blend of fairytale and romantic story with a bit of mistery.
Best wishes on this project and looking forward to watch the progress :D