Northanger Abbey: The Game [GxG GxB BxB] [Romance, Humour]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
spiral
Regular

Northanger Abbey: The Game [GxG GxB BxB] [Romance, Humour]

#1 Post by spiral »

Northanger Abbey: The Game! Experience Jane Austen's classic satirical romance in a whole new way. Dance, love, and discover the secrets of the Abbey. Choose one of three genders and five love/friendship interests, and see what lies beyond the pages of the novel!

Still very much in production, but I'd love to hear people's feedback on what I have thus far!

Download the demo at itchio

The structure of the game is such that if you make all the canon choices (eg a good natured but somewhat ditzy female main character who is in love with Henry) then the plot plays out very much like the original book. But the more different your choices, the more different the plot! I am currently most of the way through writing the "canon" main branch, and then will write the two non-canon main branches and all their little side branches.

Male presenting MC with Henry.

Genderqueer presenting MC with John, Isabella, and MC's brother James.

Female presenting MC with Eleanor.

Main character:

A 17 year old romantic hoping to find love on their first trip to Bath. Player's choice of gender, sex assignment, and presentation, so that you can, for example, be an intersex woman crossdressing as a man.

Love interests:

Henry Tilney: A snarky priest with an eye for muslin.

Eleanor Tilney: Has a quiet, dry wit and hidden secrets.

Isabella Thorpe: An enthusiastic, friendly young woman with a ruthless streak.

John Thorpe: ...really likes horses.

Secret love interest not shown in the demo: ?????

Plans for the future:
*Finish writing
*Nicer versions of sprites
*Nicer versions of backgrounds
*Music

Speaking of which, does anyone know a place you can get free versions of classical music? I like http://opengameart.org/ for original music but since this is set in the 19th century it would be nice to have some music from the period. It's all out of copyright so I'd expect it to be out there somewhere!

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

Re: Northanger Abbey: The Game [GxG GxB BxB] [Romance, Humou

#2 Post by fleet »

I'm reading Northanger Abbey now. I hope you show John Thorpe as he's portrayed in the book.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.