Beauty and the War [Dark/Epic Fantasy, Intrigue, GxB]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Dreamgazer
Veteran
Completed: Death Room; Don't Take This Risk; War: 13th Day; War Specials
Projects: Beauty and the War (X Playing Pieces)
Organization: Poison Apple Tales
Tumblr: poisonappletales
Deviantart: PoisonAppleTales

Re: War (X Playing Pieces) [Legends, Fairytales, Intrigue, G

#31 Post by Dreamgazer »

Good evening, everyone! I've updated the main post with a couple of things I've been working on. First off, the promotional image. What do you think? Was the poster boy who you thought it would be?

Second of all, a make-shift website. :) Do you like it? For those of you keeping up with my Let's Plays, you might notice that I've taken a break from it to work on this. I'll probably fix it up some more later, but for now, it's a start. Any suggestions? Comments?

Anyway, I have some more things to say, but I'm getting a little bit sleepy (so do forgive me if I'm not making much sense!). I'll come back and add it some other time. For now, I'll bid you all adieu! Have an awesome rest of the weekend.
Last edited by Dreamgazer on Sun May 15, 2016 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dreamgazer
Veteran

#32 Post by Dreamgazer »

Hello, everyone! Whoo, it's been a busy week.

Anyway, I've finally found the time to write about the game's set-up. I've edited my main post with information on the 5 acts and which acts you can enter a relationship with the guys. That doesn't mean you won't meet them beforehand. You could have a nice, little flirtation going on, but the acts I specified are when Ambrosia can have an actual relationship with them.

I still need to clean up my post, but for now, any questions? :)

ciggydel

#33 Post by ciggydel »

1) First of all, are you interested in playing War? What do you make of it so far? Is there anything you're particularly curious about?
Yes, and that would be because of your writing style. From your WIP post I can tell it has a sense of allure that would bring me through the entire game. Are you a seasoned writer? Through your descriptions, I get a sense that my choices will really impact the ending of this game, rather than the classic "your choice matters in the game" promise. As a dev wannabe myself, I'd be curious if you are working on this project full-time? Personally, I feel that this plot may not be an easy one to tackle, and could fall apart if rushed.

2) I'd love to hear your opinions on the characters. Do you have a favorite? Whose route do you think you'll pursue first?
The story premise engages with that part of me that loves fantasy, so I didn't really think of romance too much. If I had to pick, I will go with Onyx, because he seems... different?

3) What are your expectations for the story, if any?
Sounds like a great premise, I'd expect a plot twist or two, I'd expect the heroine to change the "romanceables" hearts.

On a side note, are the character designs final? I'm a very visual person so I think they could use a bit more detail, lighting, etc. :)

Monochrome.Cherry
Regular
Projects: mirroreD≒dREAMS ~Alternate~, NOTES
Tumblr: magicalstarrycarnival
Deviantart: silky-starry-heart
itch: MonochromeCherry

#34 Post by Monochrome.Cherry »

1) First of all, are you interested in playing War? What do you make of it so far? Is there anything you're particularly curious about?
Oh! I'm very interested in playing it! Haha, I'm really curious about how the choices you make will affect the story! From your description it seems that your actions have a lot of weight on the story, so I 'm interested in how that will play out!
2) I'd love to hear your opinions on the characters. Do you have a favorite? The entire cast has yet to be revealed, but from what you can see so far, who would you befriend, romance, and/or antagonize?
OH MY! My favorite as of now would have to be Wind! He's just so good looking and his personality intrigues me! The fact that he's associated with serpents makes it even better. Also! The heroine, Ambrosia is super cute! Her design is adorable!

3) What are your expectations for the story, if any?
Like I said in response to the first question, I'm really looking forward to how your actions affect the story! I really liked how you mentioned that you can have love rivals, but have the option to steal the guys away if they get taken. It made me interested to know how this will affect your relationship with the rest of the characters. Not to mention the war theme seems super epic!
Image Image

UsaBerryHime
Regular
Completed: Destiny Voyage
Projects: {Destiny Movie}, [Stolen Destiny
Tumblr: usaberryhime
Deviantart: UsaBerryHime
itch: usaberryhime

#35 Post by UsaBerryHime »

Whoa so this seems to have been updated! Very awesome, I absolutely love the opening graphic, it makes me so curious!!! Onyx carrying (bridal style) a bloody Ambrosia?! What what whaaat? It's incredibly pretty though~

And I've actually taken an interest in Onyx now, and I have to wait until Act 4 to romance him??!! Ugggggsidfjiadifd I can't wait that long!
I really like the dynamic you're going to create to making this game! It's nice to not have to lock into one guy, and I'm really curious to see how this story unfolds! Super excited!!
Image Image Image

Dreamgazer
Veteran

#36 Post by Dreamgazer »

ciggydel wrote: Yes, and that would be because of your writing style. From your WIP post I can tell it has a sense of allure that would bring me through the entire game. Are you a seasoned writer? Through your descriptions, I get a sense that my choices will really impact the ending of this game, rather than the classic "your choice matters in the game" promise. As a dev wannabe myself, I'd be curious if you are working on this project full-time? Personally, I feel that this plot may not be an easy one to tackle, and could fall apart if rushed.
Hello, ciggydel! Oh, you're sharp. I've been an avid writer - and reader - ever since childhood. (I believe it was Stephen King who said you had to read constantly in order to hone your craft.) War (X Playing Pieces) is actually an adaptation of one of my novels.

That said, seeing how I'm working without funding, I'm running on full-time passion right now. To be honest, I'm rather confident with how I'll handle the plot and the pacing. If it's within the realm of writing, I'm happy. It's the art that's my greatest concern, as you just pointed out. These designs will undergo another round of polishing, yes, but if you have any pointers, I'm definitely open to them.

By the way, out of curiosity, do you have a favorite fantasy story? It's my number one genre, so I always love talking about it.
Monochrome.Cherry wrote:Like I said in response to the first question, I'm really looking forward to how your actions affect the story! I really liked how you mentioned that you can have love rivals, but have the option to steal the guys away if they get taken. It made me interested to know how this will affect your relationship with the rest of the characters. Not to mention the war theme seems super epic!
Hi, Monochrome.Cherry! I'm glad you're excited about it. I'll try my best not to disappoint. ;) It'll take a while to be sure, but I can't wait to show you the final product! I hope you'll continue to support me until that time.
UsaBerryHime wrote:Whoa so this seems to have been updated! Very awesome, I absolutely love the opening graphic, it makes me so curious!!! Onyx carrying (bridal style) a bloody Ambrosia?! What what whaaat? It's incredibly pretty though~

And I've actually taken an interest in Onyx now, and I have to wait until Act 4 to romance him??!! Ugggggsidfjiadifd I can't wait that long!
I really like the dynamic you're going to create to making this game! It's nice to not have to lock into one guy, and I'm really curious to see how this story unfolds! Super excited!!
Aww, thanks so much, UsaBerryHime! You're always so kind. Please look forward to future developments!

Really appreciate you all taking the time to answer my questions. It's always nice to know what everyone's first impressions are. :)

Dreamgazer
Veteran

#37 Post by Dreamgazer »

I think I mentioned this before, but the writing for the demo is finished. Now, I'm working on CGs. The demo will cover only a quarter of the first act because if I went any farther, there would be spoilers everywhere.

Also, for the Valentine remake (which I haven't forgotten!), I'm planning on including a little extra story. If you have the time, please cast your vote for it here. Suggestions are courtesy of Arkhane. :) Feel free to let me know which one you voted for and why!

On another side note, a fan's brought this TV Tropes page for War: 13th Day to my attention. I found it pretty entertaining! What do you guys think?

VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

#38 Post by VocaloidsRCool »

For the extra in the Valentine remake, I chose Beauty and the Beast, because it is my favorite movie/book. It will be interesting to see how you incorporate the fairy tale into the story.

Dreamgazer
Veteran

#39 Post by Dreamgazer »

VocaloidsRCool wrote:For the extra in the Valentine remake, I chose Beauty and the Beast, because it is my favorite movie/book. It will be interesting to see how you incorporate the fairy tale into the story.
Ooh, thanks for explaining your reasons, VocaloidsRCool! So far, Beauty and the Beast is in the lead.

Now, for a progress report. Since pictures tell a thousand words...
I also finished another CG, but that one shows Chase's face, so it won't be posted here. ;)

Arkhane
Regular

#40 Post by Arkhane »

Woaahhh!!!
THe CG is really nice even if Arsenik is not my fav :3

As for the pole
Beauty and the beast stays my favorite tale ♥

Still waiting for the releaseS

Dreamgazer
Veteran

#41 Post by Dreamgazer »

Arkhane wrote:Woaahhh!!!
THe CG is really nice even if Arsenik is not my fav :3

As for the pole
Beauty and the beast stays my favorite tale ♥

Still waiting for the releaseS

Aww, thanks, Arkhane! I'm glad you're looking forward to them. :)

I finished another CG and made some fun promos, otome style. (So, I don't spoil my whole game by posting every single CG I make, haha.)

Dreamgazer
Veteran

#42 Post by Dreamgazer »

Time for my weekly update!

I've finished all of Chase's CGs for the demo, and I'm currently working on Arsenik's last one. They'll have 3 each for the demo, as will Wind and Onyx. Night only gets one because you know how he is - he's hard to pin down. ;)

No pictures this time, but you can see more snapshots of my work in progress on twitter or tumblr.

Hope everyone's been enjoying the summer!

Dreamgazer
Veteran

#43 Post by Dreamgazer »

All right! Finished up Arsenik's last CG (a.k.a. the one that took so long because of Ambrosia's super complicated outfit) for the demo, and I also whipped up this little surprise. Feel free to comment with what you think about the hosts' game show. ;)

Ooh, and if you have the time, please do cast your vote here and let me know what you picked.

Next up is Night's CG. Here I go!

Dreamgazer
Veteran

#44 Post by Dreamgazer »

All righty! Finished up Arsenik's and Night's CGs for the demo. Now, onto Wind's set! Here's a look at one of them in the meantime.
Little Wind and Little Ambrosia. :) What do you think of them?

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

#45 Post by Ran08 »

I can’t believe I haven’t commented on this yet!! (I've been so busy with school stuff last semester that I haven't been able to keep up with new WiPs huhuhu) :o Hi Dreamgazer!!

It’s so nice to see Ambrosia from from Death Room! I’m just curious, is there any chance that we’ll be seeing Dev again in some other game too? Oh pretty please! Hahaha.

First of all, I’d like to say that Virgo Island sounds like a really interesting place, even though it’s not very kd-friendly. Haha. But then again, I’m okay with dark themes. Sometimes I feel like they do a good job of deepening the plot, if used right. Though I do tend to get carried away when reading emotional scenes sometimes, so… I’d like to know if I should ready my tissues before playing this? :D (The inclusion of a Safety Net for the darker stuff is much appreciated however!)

To answer your questions…
1. Yes, I’m interested in playing it. <3 That’s all I can say, thank you. Hahaha.
2. With such a big cast, I’m not sure if it would be fair to play favorites! But as of now, my fave has got to be Arsenik! Recently, I’ve been super immersed in reading Agatha Christie’s novels, and arsenic poisoning is a recurring theme. Arsenik’s name definitely makes me wonder if you got it from that deadly chemical. I also know a little bit about Norwegian folklore, and oh my... Arsenik the Hulder is definitely fascinating. My second fave is Wind, because I find that I am drawn to arrogant and prideful guys in visual novels (though I can never ever stand them in real life). I also like Onyx, because… well, a guy in charge of executions has got to have a pretty interesting backstory, riiiight? =) And Chase! Omg. Boyish pride? I’d love to see that! Haha, count me in! (Aaaah, I suck at choosing favorite characters! Huhu.)
As for who I’d befriend, romance, or antagonize… I don’t want to say anything yet regarding that topic, haha, because I feel like I have to know the characters better before I make assumptions like that. :D (Why shouldn’t we treat VN characters as real-life people? No to prejudice! Hahaha)
3. Expectations? I expect heart-wrenching backstories and awesome character development. Hahaha, or anything, really. I’m easy to please, as long as I actually feel something while playing. *wink* And I almost always do, hahaha.

Anyway, good luck with this, Dreamgazer!! I’m definitely looking forward to this one!

P.S. LITTLE WIND AND LITTLE AMBROSIA OMG I AM SO SHIPPING THESE TWO <3 BUT ARSENIK--