A Stroke of Apprehension[Coming of Age, Literary Fiction]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
astrokeofmadness
Regular
Completed: AAA:Book 1
Projects: A Stroke of Apprehension

A Stroke of Apprehension[Coming of Age, Literary Fiction]

#1 Post by astrokeofmadness »

The direction of the story and characters:
Originally Molly was going to be the focus of the story in terms of side characters. She was my favorite character when I started out and it made the most sense to have Laura's best friend be the second most prominent character. This however changed as I began to plan out the Teen years of these characters. Rachel I immediately realized a way to keep her relevant to the story even with her minor role overall. Her tale is mostly an unfortunate tragedy that functions primarily as a means to bring the characters together. Clarissa I had a hard time with until I realized where I could take her story. Once I realized the direction I wanted to take her I simply had to make her the focus. Her story will not be a happy one. While I've in some degrees marketed this Visual Novel as one that is super cute and happy that is perhaps a facade. I am not writing a cutesy moe story here, I am writing something that is more akin to reality and sometimes things just aren't as they seem. I don't want to spoil where I'm going with Clarissa, but this does explain why a lot of the art I've worked on has involved her. She is by all accounts the focus of the game. Molly's role in the story is going to be something akin to a rock. She will be the level headed character, in a sense the mentor. She has matured faster than the other characters, and has gained a better grasp of herself than the others. She is the only one that was never hiding, never faking, never trying to be something she wasn't. She will be an integral character in helping Laura realize and actualize herself and her feelings. Molly will be a bit absent in the start of the story, and this is because she has moved to the nearby town and as such can't see Laura very often. This will make their meetings have a lot more weight to them and show a degree of strain on their friendship.

My one regret:

Not making Laura a proper brunette... I originally intended for her to be a brunette, but due to the only promotional art I ever drew of her using a soft color pallet, I accidentally make her more a dirty blonde. Because of this Laura and Clarissa are a tad similar looking. I also needed to give Laura a different hair color than Molly who actually has proper brown hair, so I needed to give laura lighter hair to contrast these two. This is also true with Rachel who has Black hair. Because of this giving Laura the dirty blonde hair made sense so I wound up keeping it. If I could go back and edit her a bit I would likely harden her hair a bit more so its of greater contrast to Clarissa's blonde. I think I've countered it a bit in most of the drawings by giving them some different features. Laura has darker hair but lighter skin, and Clarissa has a less chubby face and is younger looking as well as shorter. There is also a special treat when it comes to Clarissa as she will have some degree of a design change later on in the game that will give them an even better contrast.

Another really important aspect of my writing is drama:

I have noticed a trend in Japanese writing to have a huge emphasis on melodrama, and it seems many anime enthusiasts actually enjoy this form of drama. I will be doing my best to fight against this trend. I want my characters to act appropriately to the situation and to their character. These characters are teens so they will make irrational decisions and perhaps get angry and provoked from something they shouldn't but they won't betray their characters. Don't expect to see many anime style tropes in this story and honestly don't expect it to feel like an anime at all. The character designs are obviously inspired to some degree by anime, but the writing simply isn't. This is a huge risk, I know, as most visual novel fans are also anime fans. In many cases they don't read that much north American literature and instead read Japanese, or simply watch anime/manga more. In the end I believe by writing in this way I can make something that is enjoyable to everyone and not just anime fans. This is meant to be a story that any book lover would enjoy to read, not something that only an anime fan will like.

On sexuality:
I decided to make Laura a lesbian from the start. This was a decision to make a story about a young girl coming to grips with her sexuality as she moves from being someone that believes she should do what is normal and into someone who has her own identity. The decision does not whoever mean that this will feel like this is meant to cater to the LGBT community or is meant to be read by those in it. While it will be present and constant, the LGBT representation will not be a focus of the story. Which is to say, Laura is a lesbian, but her being a lesbian does not define her character or the genre of this game. This is not a GxG game where your goal is simply to get Laura a girlfriend. This story is meant for anyone, there is no reason a straight male or female can't enjoy this story. The theme of coming to grips with your sexuality, coming of age etc that will be seen here are ones that are universal in nature. In this story it just so happens that Laura is a lesbian, but this story could easily have seen her as a heterosexual. Now the story will deal with various forms of sexuality, and if you have a problem with that, than perhaps this isnt the game for you. For the first time I will outline each character.
Molly- Bisexual
Clarissa- Lesbian
Rachel -Heterosexual
Laura- Lesbian

While I know that the likelihood of this spread is pretty low, I felt it necessary for molly to be a bisexual, and actually planned on it from the start before I changed Clarissa. It also should come at no surprise that Clarissa is the ending love interest possibility of the game based on previous talks of her. It is still possible I will change Molly to be hetero as well, but I'm unsure what if any consequences that might have in the plan.

Game Rating:
PG-13 There is no actual violence on screen but physical signs of violence will be seen. Swear words will be used sparingly, at the moment used only once. There will be plenty instances of teasing, and people making fun of others or using derogatory terms. There is also an instance of underage drinking, and very light reference to smoking both cigarettes and marijuana. The story will deal with delicate issues, such as abuse and sexuality.

Anyways, thanks for reading! Would love to hear any feedback people have on my decisions mentioned above.
Last edited by astrokeofmadness on Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:07 am, edited 15 times in total.

astrokeofmadness
Regular

Re: A Stroke of Apprehension [GxG][Slice of life/Friendship]

#2 Post by astrokeofmadness »

A quick sketch I did of what Laura will likely look like during the Clarissa timeline. Her story takes place across the 1st year of high school or so. Unless I change my mind, there will now be 2 sets of teen sprites, 1 for year 1 of high school and 1 set for the older year 3 girls. I really feel like Clarissa's arc should take place earlier so I had to push her story back which requires the girls to look more like their prologue sprites since they should still be very young at that point. Laura will be 14 during this period while Clarissa is only 12.
Also wrote a good 500 more words last night. Likely another 1500 before the demo stuff is finished.

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: To Weave A Thread
Organization: UNICORSITY
Tumblr: unicorsity
itch: namio

#3 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Just wanted to tell you that I love the premise of this vn! I'll definitely be checking on it from time to time. o v o

astrokeofmadness
Regular

#4 Post by astrokeofmadness »

Ghost of Crux wrote:Just wanted to tell you that I love the premise of this vn! I'll definitely be checking on it from time to time. o v o
Thanks! Might I ask what about the premise you like? Due to my rapid changing plans as I write, some elements change as I go, so its worth knowing what is liked and what isn't so I don't accidentally change too much.

Art update-
Made some pretty notable edits to Clarissa year 1 sprite, she is now back to being super cute! I also have a surprise alt look for her that will be really cool to see in the game. I'm going to see what I can do to get that same look into all the characters, because honestly half of my love for the 1st game was how cute the characters looked, hahaha. Will post later.

astrokeofmadness
Regular

#5 Post by astrokeofmadness »

New Clarissa Sprite!!(not 100% finished but close enough) So happy with it! This is her design for year 1 of Highschool. This means she is only 6-10 months older than she was in the prologue. This puts her at 12, with her birthday being in the fall right before school started up. Rachel is also 12 at this point and would look much more like her young sprite than the teen variant. Laura and molly are 13 at this point with their birthdays in the spring/summer.

Made some pretty substantial changes to the GUI as well that I'll post later. Changed the textbox, made a custom quicklaunch button, changed the sideimage, created a custom save/load menu. Only need to edit a few more to have the complete UI reworked.

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Ghost of Crux »

astrokeofmadness wrote:
Ghost of Crux wrote:Just wanted to tell you that I love the premise of this vn! I'll definitely be checking on it from time to time. o v o
Thanks! Might I ask what about the premise you like? Due to my rapid changing plans as I write, some elements change as I go, so its worth knowing what is liked and what isn't so I don't accidentally change too much.

Art update-
Made some pretty notable edits to Clarissa year 1 sprite, she is now back to being super cute! I also have a surprise alt look for her that will be really cool to see in the game. I'm going to see what I can do to get that same look into all the characters, because honestly half of my love for the 1st game was how cute the characters looked, hahaha. Will post later.
I don't know-- I just feel like stories where characters, female especially, grow up and face changes to be really interesting and important as a piece of literature in general. As for your questions:

1. Are you alright with the multiple year jump between the prologue and the main story?
I can't say for certain unless I see it for myself, but in general, so long as there is a reason, I might be able to accept it.

2. Does the clickable moments feature interest you, or does it sound like a nuisance?
I love extra dialogue, especially ones that reveal more about the characters, so I'm all for it.

3. Would you prefer Molly and Clarissa's storylines taking place at the same time or the current plan of occurring one after eachother?
I have no knowledge of their storylines, so I can't say. If you do plan on the latter, though, I'd suggest you write the friendship parts very well so that even if you go down a romantic path with one of them, both versions are satisfying to read, and doesn't feel like it takes a while to pick up/the quality falls after the romantic path or something.

4. Is it disappointing that you can't romance all the girls and instead are locked into a single storyline when it comes to romance?
I am the few people who actually never pursue all romances because I get tied down to one and one only, so ;)

5. Would you participate in a Kickstarter campaign if it meant it could be fully voiced and a general higher quality?
Possibly... But due to the fact that most sites won't allow Paypal backing and I have no credit card, I'm afraid I might not be able to help ^^;;

6. Do you like the character design of the teen versions? I couldn't keep them super adorable, I'm sorry!
Age is part of the story, and your sprites should reflect that!
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Become a patron on my Patreon!

astrokeofmadness
Regular

#7 Post by astrokeofmadness »

Ghost of Crux wrote: 4. Is it disappointing that you can't romance all the girls and instead are locked into a single storyline when it comes to romance?
I am the few people who actually never pursue all romances because I get tied down to one and one only, so ;)
Thanks for the feedback, but I'd like to clarify something that I either wrote poorly or you misinterpreted.

The original intention for the story was to be route based. That is, you would be put on a route that would inevitably lead you to a greater focus on 1 of the 3 characters. In this version you could romance whatever girl your route was on. Thus all 3 girls could be romanced, you'd just need to start over.

I decided that I prefer the idea that only 1 girl could actually fall into a romantic relationship with Laura and thus the new version of the story is made. In this version there are no longer routes. Your goal will be to reconcile, maintain or fix your friendships with the 3 girls and ultimately to fall in love with the 1 girl designated as her romantic interest before the end of the game.(keeping which one it is hidden for now) In other words you cant choose which girl to romance in the new version of the story, but you can fail to fall in love with her.

The rationalization of this change is this:
The 1st version involves cutting the playable story in about half. You play through it, get to the point where your on a route and then get to the end. Then to experience all of the content you need to replay and get on the other route. In my version you play through around 70% of the content in a single playthrough and never repeat any content. This means that more people experience the full content and overall a longer story. I also feel that it creates a more complete story more akin to a book than the route format which feels like two stories with the same characters. The new version will still have multiple endings and at every choice segment there is enough new dialogue from them and enough missed text due to choices that there is in a sense a second game available to people wanting to play again. For example of the around 4500 words written beyond the prologue, around 750 of them vary based on choices made.

Obviously if I get a resounding negative response, I could move back, but I personally prefer this option.

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Ghost of Crux »

astrokeofmadness wrote:
Ghost of Crux wrote: 4. Is it disappointing that you can't romance all the girls and instead are locked into a single storyline when it comes to romance?
Thanks for the feedback, but I'd like to clarify something that I either wrote poorly or you misinterpreted.

The original intention for the story was to be route based. That is, you would be put on a route that would inevitably lead you to a greater focus on 1 of the 3 characters. In this version you could romance whatever girl your route was on. Thus all 3 girls could be romanced, you'd just need to start over.

I decided that I prefer the idea that only 1 girl could actually fall into a romantic relationship with Laura and thus the new version of the story is made. In this version there are no longer routes. Your goal will be to reconcile, maintain or fix your friendships with the 3 girls and ultimately to fall in love with the 1 girl designated as her romantic interest before the end of the game.(keeping which one it is hidden for now) In other words you cant choose which girl to romance in the new version of the story, but you can fail to fall in love with her.

The rationalization of this change is this:
The 1st version involves cutting the playable story in about half. You play through it, get to the point where your on a route and then get to the end. Then to experience all of the content you need to replay and get on the other route. In my version you play through around 70% of the content in a single playthrough and never repeat any content. This means that more people experience the full content and overall a longer story. I also feel that it creates a more complete story more akin to a book than the route format which feels like two stories with the same characters. The new version will still have multiple endings and at every choice segment there is enough new dialogue from them and enough missed text due to choices that there is in a sense a second game available to people wanting to play again. For example of the around 4500 words written beyond the prologue, around 750 of them vary based on choices made.

Obviously if I get a resounding negative response, I could move back, but I personally prefer this option.
I personally have no problem with that either xD

It does give you one power that most other might not have: it gives you the power to tell the protagonist's story, instead of having her just be a proxy through which others choose a character to romance. And personally, I actually really like your decision. I think done right, this VN could be really good because of it. You're right in saying that this might feel more like a book, but who's to say it's a bad idea? This is your story to tell, and I think your approach might make it a very interesting one to boot.
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Become a patron on my Patreon!

astrokeofmadness
Regular

#9 Post by astrokeofmadness »

Finished the new GUI! Images added to the main post.

astrokeofmadness
Regular

#10 Post by astrokeofmadness »

The trouble with simplicity and realism:

So I've been having a few issues with the concept of realism in this game. I personally prefer to be as real as possible with everything I do. This has some snags however. I want my characters to look authentically like teenagers, so I have to dress them as real people. This means that their outfits and designs are actually a tad more boring than your standard anime character. I can't give them sailor uniforms, or super cute gothic lolita outfits, this is meant to be set in the western world. They aren't in private schools, they don't get to have crazy designs and super detailed outfits. Normal people wear a shirt and pants, 2 shirts and a skirt etc. So this is the issue with my game on a design standpoint that players need to understand. The game won't have the flashiest characters, and this is deliberate. Honestly I love drawing super detailed clothes, but it just isn't a fit for the real world and would throw off the realism.

The games story is also for the most part going to deal with real world issues, and could come off as boring for someone that reads typical visual novels. There will be very little melodrama between the characters, and honestly most romance anime are filled with it. So this may feel strange or even boring to you if your used to that sort of drama. There will still be conflicts, but they will be dealt with much more plainly like normal people would deal with them. This is a game where bad things happen, they don't happen for a reason to illustrate some greater character growth or create an artificial struggle, they just do. If you act like a jerk, people stop hanging around with you, basic cause and effect.

Anyways thanks for reading, I started the 1st new CG for the game that will be in the demo, the sketch will be posted later.

astrokeofmadness
Regular

#11 Post by astrokeofmadness »

Added a new design for Molly.
Something to note about the age progression. The new sprites I'm drawing atm are for what has changed over the past several months. The prologue where they are the top sprites ends in june when school ends for the summer. Clarissa is the 1st to reappear in the story which picks back up 2 months into their 1st year in high school. Or specifically, October. So Clarissa looks slightly taller and a bit more matured but still hasn't changed much as she is the youngest of the group and is still at the mercy of puberty. Mollyhas actually recieved a more notable growth spurt, and has now become much taller and has started to look more feminine. She also updated her hair to be a bit less childish which is actually what makes her look much more mature than she is. Her fashion sense still needs work. Molly likely wont appear for a bit into the story, likely not until the new year, so she will have grown 6-8 months from her younger sprite. I did my research on hair growth and found it grows about 6 inches a year, so its pretty accurate in terms of how long its grown.

Rachel still needs a sprite, but she will also be showing up later in the year, likely in the spring.

astrokeofmadness
Regular

#12 Post by astrokeofmadness »

Was curious how animation swapping would work, and suprisingly it looks pretty decent. This is a terrible example, I just quickly rotated the eyebrows and drew a frowny face but still promising. I could pretty easily manually draw an inbeetween to make it much more fluid.

astrokeofmadness
Regular

#13 Post by astrokeofmadness »

Still a wip, used a stock background and need to fix the hair, but I guess the game is getting some traditionally animated scenes now?! Also this is from the cutest scene I've written thus far! Also updated the script section with an additional 850 words.

astrokeofmadness
Regular

Re: A Stroke of Apprehension[Friendship]New Animated scene!

#14 Post by astrokeofmadness »

Finished animation! Still need a custom background for it, but haven't drawn that yet. Starting back on writing soon!

astrokeofmadness
Regular

Re: A Stroke of Apprehension[Friendship]New Animated scene!

#15 Post by astrokeofmadness »

Updated Mollys sprite with a slightly more complete design.