Flow of Phantasmagory[Fantasy][Magic][CG]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Geistbas
Regular
Projects: Flow of Phantasmagory
Deviantart: Geistbas

Flow of Phantasmagory[Fantasy][Magic][CG]

#1 Post by Geistbas »

"We now share this location." -八軒

.................................................Synopsis.............................................................

~●○♦○●~
In the book in which the land was through the sky weathered,
the times of dark candles' light, the source's vision.
To haze my mind went after misfortune caused it to be opened.
Eight million gates of prism - We now share this location.
~●○♦○●~
~●○♦○●~
In a space, a blue, freezing space of dry ice, a child finds herself to be dwelling.
In a transparent, hollow, glass-like crystal that cuts her apart from the outside universe.
A spiritual body she seems to have, but not exactly. A physical form she truly has, yet not exactly.

Who would want to stay trapped in a crystal? You want to move freely.
The hissing force tells of mirror of your psyche, careful you should be, girl.
Thinking that you just awoke, through tension your way won't be made.
Thus you shall be punished, merciful my words used to be.
Truly, blood on your palm can be seen with your eyes.
Try to understand, once more...
Two of us cannot stay in one place, yet we never destroy each other.
Flow of Phantasmagory tells a story of a girl by the name Lilli. She doesn't remember anything about her past, as she had no senses of perception, and the crystal she lives in - zoisite, kept her vital, mental and physical needs taken care of and kept her alive through its power of darkness. Not knowing anything, she once awakens the sense of vision. And that's where the story begins.

What will happen to Lilli? What is the crystal, the mirror of her psyche trying to tell her? It's a very dangerous crystal, and it can hurt her if she doesn't treat it the right way. It's somewhat apparent that the crystal won't hold her for the entire story, yet the existence of the whole enigma cannot be ignored. What is this world? Why are there these rods that seem to react to gemstones in this universe? What is the purpose of this universe?

Monsters, Magic, Mirages, Illusions, and much more.

As the story unfolds, you will know more.
~●○♦○●~

..........Style, Info and History of this Game..................................................................

Loose list of Genres, both major and minor: Magic, Mystery, Fantasy, Space, Abstract, Mythology, Monsters, Action, Mystical, Math Logic, Romance.

I find it somewhat difficult to put my game's style into words, because it's very abstract. I, the one who develops this game, went through psychosis. During my illness, my mind created a storm of ideas and gave me the "gift" to "understand" abstraction. However, the game is something like fantasy sci-fi, except there are no aliens or such, so more like fantasy space, dropping sci-fi entirely, there is nothing super high-tech except for some parts of the story. Also, this game borrows ideas from mathematics and geology, but those are not the only subjects. There are many, many inspirations and a carefully molded mixture of ideas.

Let me be honest, I am having a very difficult time to make the ingame's writing to be able to be understood by almost everyone, because I have a habit to purposedly deceive people with my writing. Please don't blame me for that ^^. I promise this game will be easy to undestand word-wise, yet many hidden meanings will exist.

Yes, so originally, this game began as a picture book which I started drawing in reality, I drew about 20 pages. and then, because of difficulties, I stopped, and returned to it after some time. When I returned to it, I decided I might as well expand in and make it into a visual novel made with Ren'Py. Anyway, since it started as a picture book, it means that the game would have CGs. And by CGs, I mean a lot of them. Because, Flow of Phantasmagory is somewhat a long story, if I can say, yet, I didn't manage to get enough resources to guess how many hours of play it would need to finish the game. I am really sorry, but once I know, I will share it with everyone here who is interested in this game, though I asked someone who plays visual novels a lot, and she guessed 70 hours of play ....okay... I don't really agree with that...it's not that long, I just find her guess humorous.

Right, so, by CGs, I mean, a lot. 540 CGs are planned. All of them hand drawn, scanned and then colored with Paint Tool Sai. Note that 540 is an estimate that I calculated from my current progress with planning and text structure. The thing is, that I drew short miniatures on pieces of paper with an ordinary pencil, and I somehow figured that 540 might be the number where the story would end. I don't have that many pages yet, but I don't worry about that, I work quickly anyway, I have a lot of time to work hard on what I love, at this moment.

I revamped all of the old illustrations, because my drawings used to look really bad. I improved so much, and the new illustrations look great in my eyes.

..........................................................Trailer................................................................

Recently, I uploaded a trailer for my game on YouTube, here it is:
Also, I realize I forgot to add "to" at the certain part, but I won't really want to re-export the video and reupload, really, really not. ^^

..............................................Character Profiles.................................................

The game has official reference sheets, I got inspired by many users of these forums who make reference sheets, and I figured it's a good way to promote your game and characters, there are eleven characters, with some more being either minor or hidden.

............................................Questions and Answers.................................................

This is something like a FAQ and a Q&A, since some people used to ask me some of the questions, but I also added some that no one asked me, just to clear some things up.

Q: Is this a visual novel with menus or a kinetic visual novel?
A:This game will have several branches, yes. However, this game has dual storyline. Two dimensions which you play in, but these dimensions are connected. I will reveal some of this later, perhaps during February. But for now, all that matters is that it will have choices, and quite a good amount of them. But at the same time, please don't expect the game to give you the results immediately, because some of the choices affect things much later in the game, which means you need to be careful what you pick. (I just hope people won't criticize my game for being annoying to play...)

Q: Other than genres, is this a pure visual novel or some more gameplay genres will exist?
A:Mostly a pure visual novel, with some puzzle elements - a coded puzzle feature is planned. Other than that, I did plan some little RPG features at some point, but I don't think I will add them. On the other hand, some remote mutations will most likely exist that do give the game an RPG feel, just minor, though, and mostly achieved with text and flavor.

Q: Will you release a demo?
A:For me, it's difficult to decide these things, because I am an upstart surprise type of person, I like to surprise people as if I came from totally nowhere, like a Deus Ex Machina. I like to accumulate work and then show the final, gleaming result. But, if a lot of people would want to taste the beginning of the game, I might as well do it. There is no real problem with it of course, it's just something I would do only if a lot of people asked for.

Q: Wait, wasn't something like this already in Works in Progress?
A:Yes, I am RunereianLilli, but I changed to Geistbas because I had my identity as a female, roleplayed character for five years on the internet. My reason was that I enjoy being a socially heartwarming person who likes to be kind to both males and females, so I figured, since girls are generally more open, that it would be a good decision. But I had some second thoughts so I changed to a more truthful, male identity. Anyway, yes, there is the thread Flow of Phantasmagoria, and it's locked. I asked a moderator to lock it, because I changed the last word from Phantasmagoria to Phantasmagory for my personal reasons, and, thought that my presentation of the project was awful, so I decided to restart it. It's much better this way.

Q: Is this a team project or you work on this alone?
A:Completely alone, I have to say. I don't have the money to hire anyone, and I myself never really made an active effort to recruit anyone.

Q: The estimate of 540CGs, isn't that too much for one person?
A:Of course it is! But I don't really fret about it, it just takes time, period. And I enjoy drawing and digital coloring. In the end, it's very possible, just, as I said, time consuming.

Q: Do you need any help?
A:Would it be much to ask? Well, let me be honest, I had a dream since I got interested in making games, that I would want to create a community. A site, blog, forums and a wiki. Anyway, I would be really happy if someone would want to help me with my game, because I personally think that people might find my game eye-opening and maybe some, even epic. I don't know, okay? however, I will list several possible kinds of help. I don't really have high hopes, but I also hope that some generous people would be willing to help me.
Graphics
Well, that's difficult a bit, I would like if my game stayed purely my own style. I am therefore not really interested in GFX resource help.

Writing
Again, this is a visual novel. It's different than if this was an action game or something. I don't want people to leak any information and spoilers on my project - no matter how popular or successful it becomes. If you think you can convince me that you are trustworthy to help me with writing, try to do so, but I am not a person who would frantically hire writers. It needs trust, assertivity and social understanding and even empathy and good communication. Forgive me...

Music
Okay, music is all good with me, but I myself don't really know how many people can compose music on these forums. If you can make fantasy, celtic or even metal or rock music for some more tense scenes, but also spiritual tracks, dark tracks and such, that would work, however, we would need to communicate a lot, to prevent misunderstandings in style and actual sounding of the music.

Programming
Well... Chances are I might find the puzzle feature difficult to program, maybe, maybe not. I also don't have high hopes for finding a programmer on these forums, since I hear many people in this community can't program well. I'm interested, but not 100% required. It would make it easier and less time consuming for me if a programmer joined me, but I don't get my hopes up much about this.

Management
Are you a person who can whiplash me and help me manage details? Without hurting my emotions or making me give up on the project? If you have some skills to guide people the right way, I might be interested, but it needs to be a friendly approach, not dictatorship.
Friendship and Emotional support
You might not believe it, but emotional support is what I am looking for the most. More than music, more than programming, even more than management. I want people to cheer me up. No one of my friends really cheers me up, they do admit the existence of my project, but I am having the feeling they aren't excited, even a little. I wish I had people to give me positive energy, not people who will try to be skeptical and try to find contradictions in my project, which is sadly the majority. Also, please realize that I am not a company. I am a single person, and I too have emotions, I too can get hurt. I too deserve love. And I don't make this game for myself, but to entertain others. Because I love to entertain others, and be there with everyone. If you are a cheerful, or even a little shy person, and found my game project interesting, even if you can't help me practically, you will still make my days filled with social compassion and understanding. You can contact me, I won't get angry. I am a polite person and I enjoy making new friends. PMs are encouraged. Skype requests only accepted with telling how you found me, I won't accept anyone without an opening message. Thank you very much.
Q: Will this be a commercial game?
A:Not yet decided. I mean, it's a ton of work, that's for sure, and I live in a poor family, and I don't have enough post-psychotic stamina and concentration to find a job, so, it's highly likely that I will sell it, but not for that much. That's also why I look mostly for emotional support, so people won't be offended if I sold their resources for my own profit. See? I think about others. (I will not crowdfund or kickstart this game)

Q: How long will this game actually be estimately? How many endings?
A:By my quick calculations and story mindmap, I dare to say there will be 6 endings, secret endings included. I strongly want to program an ending list system, with additional extra content when you unlock all the endings of the game. As for length in hours, that was already said.

Q: What is the age rating?
A:Completely safe for teens... 13+? Because there is fantasy violence and some blood on the CG illustrations. No strong language, No erotic material, except for natural glamor without seeing anything intimate. So in short, a work of art safe for 13+

Q: The story includes elemental magic?
A:Yes! There are many elements in my fictional world! But you need to only know 8 of them, and there are 8 Lv.2 elements, too, for example, Thunder is a level 1 element, and it's ascended version is Metal.... Thunder -> Metal .... The 8 basic elements are: Sky, Earth, Light, Dark, Fire, Water, Thunder, Wood. Then there are more elements, but I will say that my universe has more elements than Pokémon types (they have 18 types)

Q: Will you disclose more information?
A:I will, promise! Just try to give me some breathing time, I will actually create a blog on wordpress for this project sometime soon, but I won't promise when exactly. There, you would be able to find new information and background story.

Q: Math Logic in a fantasy game?
A:Geometry and Numerology. Don't worry, no math science or complex algebra.

........................................................My Questions.................................................

I only have one very paranoid question. Do you even care about this game?

I'm really sorry, but as I said above, I am not getting enough recognition, my family doesn't even understand computer stuff much, and my only real life friends aren't people who show much excitement.

Thank you for reading all of this, you are amazing!

Laiska
Veteran
Completed: Queen At Arms, Cerulean, The Shadows That Run Alongside Our Car, Vicarwissen
Projects: Caramel Mokaccino
Tumblr: minesweeperaddict
Deviantart: koyoba

Re: Flow of Phantasmagory[Fantasy][Magic][CG]

#2 Post by Laiska »

540 is pretty insane! xD

I will be interested to see how you handle this, though. How long do you think it will take you to complete?

Geistbas
Regular

#3 Post by Geistbas »

@Laiska

If I draw 10 illustrations per day, and color them as well, that's 54 days. EDIT: OF course I have some of the illusts done already. (ignore no mention of progress below)

Of course, real life doesn't work that way.

With this ...it would be one month work.

You would need to make a graph out of this or something, but I guess...

Three months for CGs.

Now, not to mention the writing and GUI design and additional programming.

I honestly have no final idea.

Michalina
Regular

#4 Post by Michalina »

So I finally have some time to write something!
This game really caught my attention, because it seems like a very ambitious and interesting project. I really like the premise of the story and the characters, so I'd love to see further progress.
Also, if you need help with the game, I have a lot of free time! :D
Wish you good luck c:

Geistbas
Regular

#5 Post by Geistbas »

Michalina wrote:So I finally have some time to write something!
This game really caught my attention, because it seems like a very ambitious and interesting project. I really like the premise of the story and the characters, so I'd love to see further progress.
Also, if you need help with the game, I have a lot of free time! :D
Wish you good luck c:
Aww, I feel so happy now.

See? Cheerfulness and enthusiasm, that's what I need.

Thank you for your kind words, I will tell you that people perhaps avoid my project because I am giving the impression I'm making stuff up or do super glamor illusions, but all I am doing is simply making the game synopsis and storyline a surprise and trying to hype nurture the most of what I can that I can disclose, that's why I use poetry and symbolical writing in this thread, because my game has a lot of secrets and interesting moments, and I don't want to spoil those.

My game is the type of a game where you simply can't say much, because even the key gameplay element is better to not disclose and leave for surprise. Trust me, people would build up anticipation and recognize the plot elements before the game is released

It's just one word, I would only need to type only one word with my keyboard, and people would easily find out a part of the game's agenda. So I will rather remain a cloaked ragtag outlaw than a shining knight.

I am happy that you believe in the game, and sure, you can help me if you wish, I'm a polite person and I just ask for some enthusiasm, because no one in real life does that for me, and very few do that for me on the internet. If you can somehow help me with the game's assets, feel free to tell me how, I am always happy to listen.

Geistbas
Regular

#6 Post by Geistbas »

This project has taken such a long way.

Always when I test this game, I play the beginning of it, just to feel that interesting moment, where the deep piano music with beautiful ambience sounds starts playing as the story begins in the main storyline. I remember it almost pushed me to tears the first time I saw and heard it. The first page of the story. I am out of things to say about that.

This game has so much depth and personal value. I didn't expect it to have such an effect. Even though the storyline begins so randomly and without much explanation why are things happening whatsoever, it slowly transitions, and changes shape. One surprise after another. It never makes me bored.

It tells a tale in a way that I've never seen in exact. I can't really give an example or name a theme if you asked me. The true feeling is yet to be discovered.

I got stuck at 66 colored illustrations, and 90+ bases. Whatever I was doing with my time, doesn't matter now, for I have almost understood the importance to not be too hard on myself.

Even though I am now working on some bits of a project I call "Riverrsum: The Moonlight Unison", I've been told I should finish Flow of Phantasmagory by all means, because I was told it's a very interesting idea. I was determined to finish it at all times! But actual motivation to do actual work wasn't always there at all times, not to mention drawing copies of pages (will be explained later) is somewhat a strange process, and makes the page management quite chaotic for a bit of moment.

This game is not dead, and it never was. And I am clearly certain I will release a demo. How many chapters it will have, that I'm not sure. I only have a first working chapter for now - the writing editing and page format is a tedious process, but the result is outstanding, and makes the game truly look like a picture book, the way I intended in 2013 originally.

Why would I end this project after all, when it's the project of my utmost importance. It's as if my life depended on it. It's even more important to me than my main written novel dream.

With the immense coding experience I obtained while tinkering with Cyan Code Mirage and Riverrsum, I'm now truly ready to create my own systems for this game myself. So jumping away from it for a moment and challenging myself with Python programming was truly worth it.

News will be brought up very soon, so this much I wanted to say: I'm grateful for everyone that helped me improve my abilities.

Geistbas of Mintegeist.