Sacred Sand [Remake] [BxB] [Fantasy]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
SilverHyena
Veteran
Completed: Sacred Sand (BxB), Mira's Magical Mishap (GxG), Ben and the Devil, Cute Demon Crashers (GxB/G) (18+), Heirs and Graces (BxB), My Magical Divorce Bureau (AllxAll), Essence Hunt (BxB)
Deviantart: http://silverhyena.d
itch: https://silverhyena.

Sacred Sand [Remake] [BxB] [Fantasy]

#1 Post by SilverHyena »

So... I indulged my crazy side and decided it was finally time to remake my first VN, Sacred Sand. Yay?
mainmenu.png
For those of you who aren't familiar with the old version, here's the run down:

Genre: Fantasy
Pairings: Mainly BxB, One BxG pairing possible (But you have to go through a lot of bxb stuff to get to it.)

Basic Plot:

Lorr is a merchant who is currently set up at an outpost in order to help supply the Gradoan army. The outpost was set up in an attempt to put a halt to the recent attacks made on the main city by the Shaherons, a tribe of people that live in the desert. The reasons for this sudden increase in violence is unknown, but that's hardly Lorr's problem--until the outpost gets raided and he ends up being captured by none other than the second prince of Shaheron.

Characters:
cast.png
(From right to left: Merris, Charlos, Aydin, Lorr, Rhael, Keral, Learah, Ahrel)

Name: Lorr (Player Character)
A merchant who normally sells his wares at the capital. He has switched up his routine and is now providing supplies for the Gradoan army. Lorr is normally anti-war, but at this point he just wants the fighting to stop so that his "brother" Aydin will be safe. He hopes that by doing his part, he'll speed up that process. Personality wise, Lorr is easy to get along with, even if he is a bit crass at times. He knows several languages and can hold his own in a drinking contest.

Name: Charlos
One of the soldiers that Lorr has befriended. They share a love of drinking and making fun of each other. He's generally optimistic, but often worries about the wife he left back home. He fears that she'll leave him because he's always away from home due to his job.

Name: Aydin
A high ranking soldier in the Gradoan army. Aydin seems rather stoic and unsociable, but the truth is he's just shy. The exception to this is when he's with Lorr. The two of them were raised together and brought up as brothers even though Aydin's parents are nobility while Lorr's mother was only a maid for their manor. Aydin is a master with a sword and won't hesitate to come to Lorr's defense.

Name: Merris
One of the more powerful Generals in the Gradoan army. Aydin works under him. He may come off as heartless, but that is not necessarily the case. He just lets efficiency and practicality overshadow his nicer emotions. He is tired of the war and will do just about anything to end it so he and his soldiers can go home.

Name: Rhael
A cocky Shaheron prince who happens to be an excellent marksman with a bow. He's a bit on the spoiled side and sleeps around with no regards to gender. No one really cares though as he's the second son and thus, not in line for the throne. Surprisingly enough, he is actually a very intellectual being versed in many forms of literature and song. More importantly, he can actually speak the Gradoan language.

Name: Learah
A Shaheron merchant who specializes in selling flowers. She's materialistic and makes no real effort to hide this fact. She gets along with Rhael rather well, even though she picks on him a lot.

Name: Keral
Rhael's father and king of Shaheron. He continuously chastises Rhael's actions and makes it clear that he thinks that Rhael is wasting his time on meaningless pursuits.

Name: Ahrel
Rhael's older brother and the one who is first in line for Shaheron's throne.

(And I tried to keep it short...)

For those of you who are familiar with the old game... Well, you're probably wondering what all is going to be new.

Well, these are the features I want to add no matter what:

- Updated, slightly less awful art. :)
- Transitions (No more clunky background shifts and what not. Or, at least, less clunky shifts. :P)
- A CG Gallery
- Less typos (At least, that's the idea...)
- Possibly Audio (I'll probably upload a version without as well since I know some of you appreciate the smaller download size 8) )

There are a few things I'm also debating like extra events and cgs, but I'm not going to promise those just yet. I wanted to hear from you guys first. If there was anything you wanted me to add to the game (anything you think would add to your enjoyment of the game), now is the time to speak up and let me know about it.

(Also, apologies to the mods if I should have just necroed my thread for the old game and announced this there. I wasn't sure which was the better way to approach it...)

ibukichan
Regular
Completed: Project E.A.R.T.H. [NaNo '15]
Projects: A Step Ahead, Deadhead, Jinsei no Mondai
itch: aikosakana

Re: Sacred Sand [Remake] [BxB] [Fantasy]

#2 Post by ibukichan »

I loved the original Sacred Sand, it was one of the first VNs I ever played, so I'm really looking forward to it~ :D

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by try10 »

:o Oh my! :D I was very surprised to see that you plan on making a remake. I liked Sacred Sand, so I'm really excited!
It would be awesome if you could add a new character or more endings ( :oops: dark if possible ). I swear I'm obsessed with bad ends. :oops: I'm also happy that we'll have a CG gallery now! XD
I wish you luck! :)

Generic Timeline

#4 Post by Generic Timeline »

Happy to see this up at last! I loved the original, still one of my favorite games to ever come out of LSF.

If you ask me, I'd rather this project improve on the somewhat lacking side-routes (that is, non-Rhael/Aydin) instead of its aesthetics, but I'm ecstatic that you're doing this all the same. Best of luck!

ChronoBlossom
Tumblr: Chronoblossom
Deviantart: ChronoBlossom

#5 Post by ChronoBlossom »

Whoa! I played this game a few years back and really loved it! So glad it's getting a remake!

I think a CG gallery would be great! Maybe more events/time to spend with the characters other than Aydin and Rhael? It would be cool if we could see the characters interact with each other in random mini events or something.

Well either way, I'm looking forward to the remake!

SilverHyena
Veteran
Completed: Sacred Sand (BxB), Mira's Magical Mishap (GxG), Ben and the Devil, Cute Demon Crashers (GxB/G) (18+), Heirs and Graces (BxB), My Magical Divorce Bureau (AllxAll), Essence Hunt (BxB)

#6 Post by SilverHyena »

@ibukichan: Thanks! I'm honored that it was one of your first. (And I'm glad it was good enough to make you play other VNs despite its flaws!)

@try10: Haha, yeah. I said it was a possibility after releasing the first one, but I was so burned out by it I wasn't sure I believed it myself. I've finally recovered from that and am actually pretty motivated about this. :3 A new character could be an interesting addition. It might be hard to incorporate, but I think I kind of want to do it. I'll see if I can come up with a new character that'd feel significant, but not totally derail the current story. I'm not all that into bad ends myself (at least, not unjustified bad ends that happen because you were trying to be friendly towards all the characters), but I do see the appeal of darker ends. Merris might be a good character to do that with. Anyway, no promises yet, but those are good ideas.

@Generic Timeline: D'aww! That makes me super happy! Thank you! And yeah, that's definitely something I'd like to do. I'll probably mess around with some of the events to give the side characters some more screen time. (Especially Ahrel since he gets pretty much no time at all. Granted, that is for story reasons, but still...)

@ChronoBlossom: Haha, yeah. The old one definitely needed a cg gallery. That is one of the comments I got a lot (or at least, I felt like I got it a lot). Some more interaction between the other characters would be good too... Someone suggested an ending where you pair up Aydin and Rhael at one point. I kind of liked that idea. I might try to make it happen. :P Anyway, thanks for your feedback!

So here's an example of what the new cgs will look like. For most of them, I'm going to pretty much be tracing the old ones and cleaning it up. I will redo some of them completely, but I figure this will help me keep my sanity since there are a lot of them. Hopefully it's a significant improvement anyway. :P

oldnew.png

Michalina
Regular

#7 Post by Michalina »

I really enjoyed the first version so I'm positively surprised :D
I'd gladly play it once again. The art looks much better and softer now and an audio or CG gallery also would be cool, not to mention some extra events :D
good luck! :)

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#8 Post by MimirollCookie »

OHMYGOSH! A REMAKE!
(I don't really like BxB but IDK why i LOVED THIS THING!)
Good luck! :D

Mirana
Organization: UNDERland Studios

#9 Post by Mirana »

I played the first game like two weeks ago, I'm overjoyed because it stepped up to be one of my favorite BxB VN. This is good news~ Though I don't see what's so awful about the art. I thought it was adorable. The blushing and stuff.

Kumiho
Regular
Completed: Lads in Distress NaNo
Projects: The Thousandth Day

#10 Post by Kumiho »

Oh my god. Sacred Sand was really, really cute, and I'm so happy to hear it'll be getting a remake! :) Extra scenes would be amazing, yes, no matter how short or how fluffy / inconsequential to the overall plot, although I totally understand if you're too busy. ;( Either way, I'm definitely looking forward to this! Time to go replay the original SS

SilverHyena
Veteran

#11 Post by SilverHyena »

@Michalina: Thanks so much! Especially for the comment on the art. Good to know it is improving. And yeah, a gallery would definitely be good. It was one of the things I wanted to add to the original, but I just didn't have the technical know how. I'm still sloppy, but I was able to add one to my other game so the gallery will happen!

@MimirollCookie: You know, that isn't the first time I've heard that. Haha. I'm not sure why it still manages to appeal to people who aren't really into bxb, but that does make me happy. :D Thanks for the luck! I'll probably need it since I tend to bite off more than I can chew. :P

@Mirana: Thanks! You're too kind! I think me having issues with the art is mostly because I drew it, and thus, have a good idea of what's wrong with it. I feel like I've improved a lot though so hopefully I can make it even cuter-- with 10x more blushing! 8)

@Kumiho: I'm with you. Haha. I don't want to go crazy and make it hard to finish, but I do want to add enough new content to make it interesting for people who've already played the old one. I'll see where I can add stuff.

So... There will be at least one new character:
Noi.png
This is Noi. As you might be able to tell by the uniform, he's on team Gradoa (Not really by choice though). He's pretty apathetic, but of course there's more to him than that if you're willing to take the time to get to know him. :wink: (He's also my way of expanding on the world since he's not native to Gradoa.)

Keryee
Regular

#12 Post by Keryee »

Wow, I'm absolutely thrilled!! I loved Sacred Sand when I first played it (although it was a long time ago!), and I'm overjoyed to see a remake! Your art has definitely gotten much cleaner... I'm incredibly excited to see what you'll do with your remake!

I'm also excited to learn more about your new character-- looks interesting!

(Also... I second the motion for more fluffy scenes and stuff~! I think that, logically thinking, it would probably be best to add scenes to the endings: it would probably be most fulfilling to see endgame fluff for most people, and it would also be the least effort coding-wise.)

runeraccoon
Veteran
itch: runeraccoon

#13 Post by runeraccoon »

I loved Sacred Sand and almost got every CG before giving up and use the walkthrough~~ >/////<

So glad it will be remade, I can't wait to pour my love on the newer version as well.
So... actually I'd like it to involve more story, like maybe, aftermath (Mature fluff //cough) scenes. Can't wait to dib on the new character, I love your style! And the coloring is definitely improved, softer colors but crisper. I think I can enjoy it all the more.

Can't wait to see it done!

sanashi27
Regular
Tumblr: ichika27
Deviantart: sorayume-kyou

#14 Post by sanashi27 »

Oh my gosh... everyone looks so shiny~

And there's gonna be a new character? Interesting. I'm excited for the remake since I love the original (although, I already said thios on the forum for the original)! I wish that some of the characters like Merris, Learah and Ahrel get more screentime so that getting their endings would feel much more enjoyable. That's just me though. I'm still on team Aydin/team threesome! XD
Playing games are wonderful. It's like living another life although short, yet it's unforgettable.

MikaYuu is Love, MikaYuu is Life. My OTP <3

Plueschkatze
Regular
Tumblr: Plueschkatzeart
Deviantart: Plueschkatze
itch: Plueschkatze

#15 Post by Plueschkatze »

I really enjoy the art and designs! I think I'll keep an eye on this. :)