Runeous: Part One

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Earl_Grey
Deviantart: http://novel-tea.dev

Runeous: Part One

#1 Post by Earl_Grey »

SYNOPSIS
The story follows a small group of heroes in a world ravished by the wars of its past.

Rune stones possessing magical qualities are what fuel the industry, their secrets long ago lost. Humans research them to unlock their hidden potential. Overpopulation in cities built for far fewer inhabitants. Homes built atop homes with giant walkways connecting the various levels together.

The world of Ceir'a faces a new threat. It is here that Leif, a young runic apprentice meets a Jacawi tribeswoman Eme. Together they must overcome the differences of their people and unite the factions to thwart the rising evil empire. Though not all is as it seems when the very fabric of nature begins to fall apart!
Support us now on Greenlight
Every detail taken into account. Even the NPCs

KiloTango
Regular
Projects: The Lighthouse (NaNoReNo14)
Organization: Starship ★ Palindrome

Re: Runeous: Part One

#2 Post by KiloTango »

I love how much personality all the sprites have in this! Looking forward to finding out more.
ImageImageImage

Earl_Grey

#3 Post by Earl_Grey »

Part One: Ready!
Greenlight: In progress!
Kickstarter: Live!
Download: Available Now!

Find out more about Runeous: http://novelteagames.com/runeousVN

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by gekiganwing »

I like the art so far. Also, I tend to like fantasy / adventure stories. So that's how you got my attention.
Earl_Grey wrote: The world of Ceir'a faces a new threat. It is here that Leif, a young runic apprentice meets a Jacawi tribeswoman Eme. Together they must overcome the differences of their people and unite the factions to thwart the rising evil empire. Though not all is as it seems when the very fabric of nature begins to fall apart!
Do you think that your story fits into a fantasy fiction subgenre? For what it's worth, there is a list of fantasy subgenres on Wikipedia.

This is your story, and you can create what you want. If you want to write a clearly evil empire, or if you need to have a nation as an antagonistic force in your story, then that's fine. Not all stories benefit from having ambiguous or shades-of-gray characterization. Having said that... when I saw the phrase 'evil empire,' I thought, "What if the empire is not all-out villainous, but just flawed?" Think about the opposing forces in your visual novel should have strengths as well as weaknesses, or whether portraying them as complex would not be relevant to the story that you want to tell.

Earl_Grey

#5 Post by Earl_Grey »

gekiganwing wrote:I like the art so far. Also, I tend to like fantasy / adventure stories. So that's how you got my attention.
Earl_Grey wrote: The world of Ceir'a faces a new threat. It is here that Leif, a young runic apprentice meets a Jacawi tribeswoman Eme. Together they must overcome the differences of their people and unite the factions to thwart the rising evil empire. Though not all is as it seems when the very fabric of nature begins to fall apart!
Do you think that your story fits into a fantasy fiction subgenre? For what it's worth, there is a list of fantasy subgenres on Wikipedia.

This is your story, and you can create what you want. If you want to write a clearly evil empire, or if you need to have a nation as an antagonistic force in your story, then that's fine. Not all stories benefit from having ambiguous or shades-of-gray characterization. Having said that... when I saw the phrase 'evil empire,' I thought, "What if the empire is not all-out villainous, but just flawed?" Think about the opposing forces in your visual novel should have strengths as well as weaknesses, or whether portraying them as complex would not be relevant to the story that you want to tell.
Thanks for your comments.
The phrase 'Evil Empire' is actually my way of quickly getting the point across that these are the 'bad guys' to our characters without giving too much away as to who/what they really are! The way I see it is each side believes they are the ones doing the 'right' thing which is why I LOVE darker themed characters/factions, I like to try and find out why they believe their goal is the 'good cause' ^^

In this case 'Evil' does extend a little further into their society, they truly do want to cause mayhem as all they live for is war. (If you're a Doctor Who fan, think something along the lines of the sontaran culture and add in an overwhelming desire to be the only beings who have the right to exist). They're cold hearted, miserable and lack much emotion - I'll stop here because there are some details about them that I really only want to portray in the VN itself, I think it could be quite interesting :)

In a way we could cover a few subgenres, however to keep it a little more simple, we're just classing it as 'Fantasy' as the story really doesn't focus on just one area, while at the same time (In my opinion) doesn't over do it either. I feel it's a nice mix. ^^