Starry Dreams [Slice of Life / LGBT] [RELEASED]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Mikomi
Veteran

Starry Dreams [Slice of Life / LGBT] [RELEASED]

#1 Post by Mikomi »

Cutesy bakeries, cutesy characters- what's not to love?
In Starry Dreams, the player is a new resident of Sunflower Apartments, where they meet several interesting characters- two of which who want to open their own bakery! As the story progresses, the success of the bakery hinges on whether or not the player is good enough friends with the characters.
ImageImage

Characters

Frederika

Since they were little, Frederika has wanted to make their own restaurant! They met Marion in high school, and the two fell in love. Now, the two of them dream of owning their own bakery.

Marion

Frederika's high school sweetheart who works full-time at a retail store in order to save up enough money to start their bakery. Marion is very supportive, but is the more direct and stubborn of the two.

Trucia

The apartment owner, manager, and main attendant. Trucia wears many hats, but never complains! She became friends with Frederika and Marion after they graduated, and has become friends with many of the other people who live in the apartment.

Licellia

Another resident of Sunflower Apartments who lives there with her girlfriend Bricie. She works many odd jobs, and doesn't like to sit around at one job for long. Licellia can be a bit off-putting at times with her loud and cheerful manor, but she means well.

Bricie

Licellia's girlfriend who lives with her at Sunflower Apartments. She's the exact opposite of Licellia, as she is quiet and reserved, only talking to her friends. She works at the mall along with Marion.

Kimuri

Frederika, Marion, and Kimuri all graduated from the same high school- however, they weren't all friends! Kimuri and Frederika have a rivalry between each other of who is the better cook. Kimuri now owns a bakery downtown where he sells sweets, still trying to prove his cooking is better than Frederika's.

This game was one of my very first projects as a VN dev that I restarted when I heard about the Sweets Jam on Itch.io, a jam meant to make more LGBT games with sweets/candy themes. Because I'm also the artist (and because I've improved a lot in terms of scripting) I had to almost completely start over, tossing out all the sprites, backgrounds, CGs, and scripts. Here's an example of one of the changes in Starry Dreams.

Since this is a remake of one of my first VNs, I have quite a few goals for it (mainly, publishing it):
  • Make it twice as long as my first full length VN, AOPII.
  • Use the classic otome stat building mechanic to build the bakery, instead of "winning" a character/route.
  • Let there be multiple endings.
  • Have it be really cute!
Features
✿ 6 interact-able characters ✿
✿ Multiple locations to visit with different randomized events at each location ✿
✿ 4 characters have multiple outfits ✿
✿ 2 non-binary main characters (Frederika and Marion) ✿
✿ A cute lesbian couple (Licellia and Bricie) ✿
✿ Animated indicators of "bad"/"good" decisions ✿

Progress/Development
Sprites: 100% done
CGs: 100%
BGs: 100%
Writing: 100%
Scripting: 100%
GUI: 100%

Download

Play the full game now for free!

All the art, scripting, writing, GUI, etc. is done by me, MikomiKisomi. Music was done by Alcanight. Font was made by Natalia Raices. This was made on Ren'Py.

Questions

What do you want to see out of this game?
Should there be endings where the bakery isn't created/how many endings would you like to see?
How long should the game be? (i.e. an hour or 2+)
Should there be more than 6 characters?
Last edited by Mikomi on Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 21 times in total.

Seigetsu
Regular
Deviantart: suien

Re: Starry Dreams [Slice of Life / LGBT / Jam Entry]

#2 Post by Seigetsu »

I'm so happy to see more LGBT-friendly games being made these days! And with a sweets theme too? Awesomesauce!

1. What do you want to see out of this game?
I honestly just want to see the game completed. I think that's the most important thing. Stats-building is fun, but I'm more of a "reading" type of VN player, so it'd be really nice if you also have a strong plot throughout the game.

2. Should there be endings where the bakery isn't created?
I don't really mind either way. I think if you're going to have multiple endings, the endings should differ significantly from each other and resolves different plot points so that you learn something with each playthrough.

3. How many different endings would you like to see?
I think this relates to the second point. I personally value the quality of each ending more than the quantity of endings. Make as many endings as you need to fully flesh out the characters and resolve all questions you raise in the beginning of the story.

I actually have another little question for you, not sure if I missed this somewhere, but why are you remaking the sprites? I really like your first version. The new sprites are cute, but I prefer your earlier style.

Mikomi
Veteran

#3 Post by Mikomi »

Seigetsu wrote:I'm so happy to see more LGBT-friendly games being made these days! And with a sweets theme too? Awesomesauce!

1. What do you want to see out of this game?
I honestly just want to see the game completed. I think that's the most important thing. Stats-building is fun, but I'm more of a "reading" type of VN player, so it'd be really nice if you also have a strong plot throughout the game.

2. Should there be endings where the bakery isn't created?
I don't really mind either way. I think if you're going to have multiple endings, the endings should differ significantly from each other and resolves different plot points so that you learn something with each playthrough.

3. How many different endings would you like to see?
I think this relates to the second point. I personally value the quality of each ending more than the quantity of endings. Make as many endings as you need to fully flesh out the characters and resolve all questions you raise in the beginning of the story.

I actually have another little question for you, not sure if I missed this somewhere, but why are you remaking the sprites? I really like your first version. The new sprites are cute, but I prefer your earlier style.
Thank you for your response!

It's sort of an artist thing, since those sprites are 2~ years old and my style has improved a lot since then. It's also because I only finished two sprites for the first version (it barely reached past a demo), and I've since then moved one character to another project and changed designs, so trying to duplicate my old style just so I can use one sprite just wasn't practical. I also wanted a change in art direction, to make the game cuter.

tl;dr I still use that sort of early style in my projects, but this game is an experiment for several things, one of which being a new style of sprites.

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#4 Post by MimirollCookie »

I don't know why...
But this thing CAPTURED MY HEART!
REALLY!!
-Cuteness!
-Bakeries!
-Chibis!
OMG! Good luck! :D

Mikomi
Veteran

#5 Post by Mikomi »

MimirollCookie wrote:I don't know why...
But this thing CAPTURED MY HEART!
REALLY!!
-Cuteness!
-Bakeries!
-Chibis!
OMG! Good luck! :D
Thank you very much! :)

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#6 Post by MimirollCookie »

IDK why but......

GOOOOOOOOD LUCK!
*CANT WAIT FOR IT TO BE RELEASED

Mikomi
Veteran

#7 Post by Mikomi »

Long time no update! Here's a new sprite- the rival bakery owner, Kimuri!

Mikomi
Veteran

Re: Starry Dreams [Slice of Life / LGBT]

#8 Post by Mikomi »

Hi hi! Long time, no update! I've made some real progress on SD in the past few days, so here's a new screenshot!

Mikomi
Veteran

#9 Post by Mikomi »

Main post now updated with information on Licellia and Kimuri, two new characters! Only one character left to reveal, Bricie!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#10 Post by Zelan »

Is Kimuri transgender? The way that you drew his figure is kinda feminine.

Mikomi
Veteran

#11 Post by Mikomi »

Zelan wrote:Is Kimuri transgender? The way that you drew his figure is kinda feminine.
No, just male.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#12 Post by Zelan »

Mikomi wrote:
Zelan wrote:Is Kimuri transgender? The way that you drew his figure is kinda feminine.
No, just male.
Hmm, okay. I guess that's just a by-product of the style that you used to draw him. He's just got some dang nice curves is all. cx

Mikomi
Veteran

Re: Starry Dreams [Slice of Life / LGBT] Beta Demo Released

#13 Post by Mikomi »

The beta demo has now been released! Please give me feedback on it, I really need some input on how the game is now so I can improve it!

viewtopic.php?f=45&t=40414

Mikomi
Veteran

#14 Post by Mikomi »

Some new promo art!

Also, please check out the beta demo that's been released! I'd love to hear some opinions on it! ♥

AshenhartKrie
Veteran
Tumblr: ashenhartkrie

#15 Post by AshenhartKrie »

This looks super cute and I love that you have an NB protag! Definitely going to keep an eye on this, good luck!

tired. grumpy. queer
*uses he/him pronouns*