Kinghearth [BxB][Fantasy][Commercial]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: To Weave A Thread
Organization: UNICORSITY
Tumblr: unicorsity
itch: namio

Re: Kinghearth [BxB] [Fantasy]

#16 Post by Ghost of Crux »

First post updated with proper character portraits!
I will also be adding these two awesome ladies to the first post once I finish their character arts:
ImageImage

Caylin and Levane are the other two heroes of the battle against the dragon.

Caylin is the only daughter to a respectable fortune of one of the largest farm in the capital as well as a heirloom rapier: Earthen Grasp. Her father and her then-unofficial-stepmother were-- and still are-- the colonel and a well known politician, but Caylin chooses instead to run the farm her father inherited after she had returned from the battle. To this day, she lives there with her family-- a husband who's also her father's subordinate, and two children.

Levane is and has always been a prodigy in the art of warfare. Coming from a border county, she's used to seeing minor skirmishes between border patrols and has always criticised the politics going on in the capital. Despite this, she joined the quest to end the terror upon the kingdom, and was an invaluable second to Oddr. She was entrusted with the dagger Whisper, and upon returning to her home she immediately built an academy of all things war-- a school she is the headmaster of, and the scariest teacher of too. It is the only non-royal military academy with merit that's acknowledged by the kingdom. She is also the youngest of all the veterans at age 37.

The ladies are awesome and I really like them. They'll have minor involvements in the second act, but in the commercial expanded version Levane actually joins you in your quest! Aiden has nothing to worry about. Bandits? As if Oddr wasn't enough.

Also: the few art assets produced are now scrapped, due to changes in screen size. I'm not mourning it too much because it's for good. GOOD NEWS THOUGH. I have a friend who was really interested in creating music for Kinghearth, so I commissioned a track for Auverdyn, Aiden's hometown. It sounds REALLY beautiful and I'll definitely link it when she puts it up somewhere. I really, really would love to share it with you guys. I've been listening to it on loop myself |D
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Become a patron on my Patreon!

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#17 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Art style for the sprite, though I still haven't decided on what the coloring style would be... I was trying to do some art nouveau-inspired coloring style, but it feels a bit flat for me. I mean yeah, they are great pinups, but these aren't pinups...
Image Image

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#18 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Image Image

\o/ updates

> Designed the entire cast, barring minor characters! Character portraits almost all done (sans Levane's).
> Day 1 script is 70% done and has 10k words so far.
> The intro to the game will encompass the first two days. After that, you're slowly being channeled into a route.
Image Image

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#19 Post by Ghost of Crux »

GUYS PLEASE LISTEN TO MY EXTREMELY TALENTED, GREAT FRIEND'S MUSIC.... It's the thing that keeps me writing and working on this project, it's sO GOOD.

SO YES. Kinghearth is going to have some really nice music and it's all thanks to my really talented friend. She's composed two songs for Of All There Is out of her sheer awesomeness and so I commissioned her for a demo track for Kinghearth, which is now The Way We Meet (Auverdyn). As you can clearly see, there are two other songs she might or might not have accidentally made for it.

This is primarily why I'll be having a kickstarter.

So far the intro seems to be reaching 20k words; I'm on 13k right now and day 1 isn't done yet. I'm looking to release the demo sometime this year; possibly before October. I'm doing Kinghearth's script as Camp NaNoWriMo project, by the way! I'm Egress on NaNoWriMo if you ever want to say hi, or if you want to be my writing buddy for the upcoming November.
Image Image

MoonByte
Regular
Completed: Shine (RPG Maker), Heroes (RPG Maker), Lantern Bearer (RPG Maker), Loop the Loop (Unity), Other Stars (Unreal), Sky Eye (RPG Maker), WIN Delivery & Fateful (Ren'Py)
Projects: Weird Is Normal (Ren'Py)

#20 Post by MoonByte »

Is this even still an idea or already a WIP?
I mean, it looks so far already (plus, I'd like to see this finished)

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#21 Post by Ghost of Crux »

MoonByte wrote:Is this even still an idea or already a WIP?
I mean, it looks so far already (plus, I'd like to see this finished)
I actually just tried to get this moved :'D I'm not sure if I did it right but I just did it an hour ago so it's probably going to take a bit more time.

I'm glad you'd like to see this finished too! :'D I haven't had this much fun writing scripts...
The art style is already settled, too, and I'm trying to work on one of the sprites. It's a slow process thanks to the style, though.
Main menu is being redone; sketch so far:
Image Image

audrenes
Regular
Projects: Phoenix, Swan Lake, Kiss Me X
Tumblr: ajmakesvns

#22 Post by audrenes »

Aaaaa all of the art looks so pretty *___* I also listened to the tracks that are up so far for the game's OST and I love it.

I'm really interested to see this as a finished product and I wish you luck!!

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#23 Post by Ghost of Crux »

audrenes wrote:Aaaaa all of the art looks so pretty *___* I also listened to the tracks that are up so far for the game's OST and I love it.

I'm really interested to see this as a finished product and I wish you luck!!
Thank you! :'DD

I've been sharing arts lately and I've been mostly spamming writing instead to my friends, so I might as well share these:

Code: Select all

da "Morning."
    aiden "Morning Da."
    aiden "(Da clutched his morning sludge with the protectiveness of a dog over her pups.)"
    aiden "(...I think I need that coffee, too.)"
    dad "Have you eaten breakfast yet, Ceila, Ezlea?"
    ces "We have,"
    es "Don't worry about that!"
    ces "Father cooked."
    dad "And you, Marce? You did arrive quite early."
    marce "Ah! Yes, I already did, thank you ser."
    marce "It's actually no different to my usual waking hours so..."
    dad "Ah, an early bird, I see."
    dad "Aiden only regains his wits after nine. For now, coffee will have to substitute coherence."
    aiden "(And with that, Dad slides a mug of strong coffee and my breakfast in front of me.)"
    dad "There are some snacks here if you want them, girls, Marce."
    ces "Aww. I would like to have them but I ate like a glutton earlier!"
    aiden "(Somehow, beaming while saying things like that seems to only fit Ces and Es...)"
    aiden "(I don't even know anymore. It's too early for me to comprehend the way Ces and Es thinks. Too much brain power required.)"
    aiden "(Now is the time for coffee power.)"
(Now you know I'm a fic writer: I like to share drabbles/snippets.)
Image Image

fmjaye
Regular
Projects: Blackout City (webcomic)
Tumblr: fakemagicjaye

#24 Post by fmjaye »

:'D!! I'm so excited for like, all your games haha
the music sounds so nice~

i'm curious, do you have a project you consider your main one? how do you split up the time spent on each?
Image Image
Artist on [redacted] life NaNoRenO 2016

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#25 Post by Ghost of Crux »

fmjaye wrote::'D!! I'm so excited for like, all your games haha
the music sounds so nice~

i'm curious, do you have a project you consider your main one? how do you split up the time spent on each?
Thank you!! :'D
I've been really into the music ok weeps

Well, technically Kinghearth is a "main" one. But I have the attention span of a gnat and I just work on whatever grabs my attention most. Lately, this means either Of All There Is or Kinghearth. But sometimes I work on projects I haven't even announced or planned to work on yet so whoops? I don't do time management. I just... pour all the time I have on vn making and hope it's not splashing all over the place.

I consider projects with the biggest scope to be the main one, though. And Kinghearth is big for one person, no matter how few choices it may have in the future.
Image Image

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#26 Post by Ghost of Crux »

On the process of redesigning everyone.

A lot of my thoughts and energy for making VN is put on Of All There Is, lately, but Kinghearth is still sort of my other baby and I love it too much to let it sit idly for too long and risk not getting it done o(--(
Image Image

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#27 Post by Ghost of Crux »

ONe bright thing about doing all these redesigns is that I finally got an art style settled down. I hope. Let's not jinx it.

Another thing! I'm finally officially making myself an actual compilation of the backstories, settings and various other details so the characters are getting tweaked histories now, which is why I'm rewriting the script. I feel like the flow might be all right, but the personalities of each individuals didn't shine through enough. Kinghearth isn't really my highest priority right now, project-wise, so I'm letting myself take the time to do such... thorough, complete rewriting.

In any case! Finished Aiden's reference sheet just earlier, but here's the front view:
I'm going to be printing myself the entire thing as a compilation artbook for myself later, and maybe an actual artbook as a perk later later, so I'm not putting out the entire thing just yet.
Image Image

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#28 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Kinghearth isn't really my highest priority right now, project-wise, so I'm letting myself take the time to do such... thorough, complete rewriting.
LAUGHS
Kinghearth's demo is now my Yaoi Game Jam entry, so screw that noise! Kinghearth's demo will hopefully be done in 2 months!

Well, that's the plan, anyway. Kinghearth's day 1 script is far longer than most of my scripts-- sometimes combined, depending on which projects we're looking at-- and I have to rewrite it all. Hopefully, though, I'll get the script up to the point where I want it to be for the demo before the end of June, mid July the latest. Of course, me being me, this plan actually happening is highly unlikely. Still, I have to put my foot down somewhere.

I'll be posting Serlas' redesign sketch up soon, and after that there will probably be semi-regular updates. I hope this will get the demo done sooner!

EDIT

Tumblr post here.

Gave Mr. Doctor here wrist braces, because who wouldn't trust a doctor with bad wrists? I definitely would. Especially when he's performing surgery on me!
(OK, he doesn't actually perform surgeries. But well, that's less because he's a doctor and more because there were very little actual understanding of human bodies and the effects of surgeries. I mean, the last time he aided in a surgery, it was Oddr's amputation so he's not exactly keen on performing more of that more often.)
Image Image

audrenes
Regular
Projects: Phoenix, Swan Lake, Kiss Me X
Tumblr: ajmakesvns

#29 Post by audrenes »

Heyyy!! Glad to see you participating in Yaoi Jam too! I look forward in playing the demo in August! : D

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#30 Post by Ghost of Crux »

audrenes wrote:Heyyy!! Glad to see you participating in Yaoi Jam too! I look forward in playing the demo in August! : D
I am so doomed and I was the one damning myself ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

I'm excited for your entry too, by the way! Just saw it on your signature and barring my initial WELL because the name made me think Les Mis I love your VN idea 8D
Can't wait to see the characters!
Image Image