Kinghearth [BxB][Fantasy][Commercial]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: To Weave A Thread
Organization: UNICORSITY
Tumblr: unicorsity
itch: namio

Kinghearth [BxB][Fantasy][Commercial]

#1 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Sixteen years ago, a group of heroes defeated a man and his dragon.
The man commandeered the Eternal Dragon in an attempt to control the kingdom through fear.
It was a hard fought battle. Victory was sweet.

But theirs isn't our story.

Aiden is the son of two of the heroes.
It's not a bad life. His dads are kind of overbearing, stemming from well-earned paranoia, but they're not bad. They entrusted Sunglare to him, too, and that shows that they're not treating him like a kid.

Sunglare, along with his fathers' The Torrent and Spark, is one of the dragon weapons. Made with the ashes of the Eternal Dragon, it's blessed with a power-- it shines with an unearthly glow, sharp and cutting. The Torrent is capable of drawing water from deep underneath. Spark can travel within mediums-- such as water-- and create magical blasts more powerful than the conventional bombs.

The thing is, well. His da kind of lost Spark.

It's... not a big deal, really. Well, kind of. Dragon weapons are priceless-- killing the Eternal Dragon is not an easy feat, and gathering its ashes afterwards is even harder. But dragon weapons aren't simply weapons, either-- they're sentient, or so they say. They don't just obey anyone. So that gives Aiden some time to find Spark-- how many people can control it, anyway? He's got this.

If only things are that easy.
Features

> ~4 routes
> 6 endings (+variations of the "main endings" based on hidden stats)
> Multiple variations within paths, often for character or world building
> Skippable dialogue scenes where you and other characters ask each other questions
> (Hopefully) sprite-animated key fight scenes, with hopefully accurate sword fighting
Characters

A shy boy, he prefers to stick with people he knows and stay away from the crowds. Likes to read and stories by Uncle Serlas.
Aiden always likes the idea of runesmithing-- the act of channeling the energy from the earth to perform things people otherwise can't. As such, he is apprenticed to Serlas.

ImageImage

Ezlea and Ceila
These inseparable sisters are a whirlwind of destructive hyperactivity. Even their fathers-- Oddr and Serlas-- have to admit it.
They're dedicated to keeping Aiden safe from monsters and cooties, and often does questionable things to achieve their goals.
Though they love their fathers equally, they definitely spend more time with Oddr. Most people pay hefty sums to be trained by a war hero and strategist, and these girls are learning from the best.

Marce is the son of the woman who runs The Cress, a restaurant that's known for its spicy food. He's quite cheery and enthusiastic, and often lends an ear. Due to his sympathetic nature, Aiden might have a bit of a crush on him. By a bit, I mean a lot.
That crush is not unrequited.
While not helping his Ma, Marce likes music. He especially likes stringed instruments, and could be found playing them during the off hours.

ImageImage
"Dad" and "Da" respectively, these two hailed from the same city, and apparently were already stuck in the hips from the beginning. Not to Erthal's pleasure, apparently-- but that was a long time ago. They don't speak much about their shared childhood, but perhaps that's because Aiden never really asked much.
Their antics never really go away, however, and sometimes Aiden has a villager asking him if his dads are all right. He loves them, though, even if sometimes he wants to crawl into a hole and die.
Still, despite the fact that they're both very busy people, they still make time for him, and for that Aiden is forever grateful.

ImageImage
From what he knew from Uncle Serlas, apparently the two of them lived together not because they were in love, but because Uncle Oddr's traumatic amputation left him a wreck. Some things came naturally out of that, Aiden supposes. Now Uncle Serlas continues his work as a runesmith while Uncle Oddr takes up pupils for his infamous archery tutoring and paint for children's books.
While Uncle Serlas is the one he talks to when he has problems, Uncle Oddr is the one he can sit with for hours, saying nothing as they bask in mutual understanding of each others' want for comfortable silence.

ImageImage
Aiden has never really met Aunt Caylin, but he has heard a lot from her through letters. She runs a very large farm in the capital and has a son-- what she never really talks about is the fact that she was one of the heroes who fought the dragon with his dads and uncles. Is she trying to let that past go?
Meanwhile, Aunt Levane is running her military strategy academy off on the border. Aiden only knows little about it, though-- but it's hard to not know the fact that it's the only current non-kingdom military academy with credentials that's accepted by the kingdom.

Demo Progress
Redoing everything. RIP ME.

Script: 16% (10,266 words)
Sprites: 25%
Backgrounds: RIP
GUI: 23%
Coding: N/A
CHECK THE MUSIC HERE.

Last edited by Ghost of Crux on Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:42 am, edited 34 times in total.
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Become a patron on my Patreon!

runeraccoon
Veteran
itch: runeraccoon

Re: Kinghearth [BxB] [Fantasy]

#2 Post by runeraccoon »

I feel like I'm in love already. This sounds amazing, and is it weird that I really really want to know the story behind the dads and the uncles? I can't wait to see it done!

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Ghost of Crux »

fuicchi wrote:I feel like I'm in love already. This sounds amazing, and is it weird that I really really want to know the story behind the dads and the uncles? I can't wait to see it done!
Hehe, I'm glad you're interested in the adults! They've got a shared history that's not really talked about by others, despite (or perhaps due to?) the fact that they're heroes, and I plan to have sections where you get to ask them questions about their pasts or their thoughts on certain things. This is primarily the reason why I chose to not have character routes, but to have characters reacting to the overarching plot.

And don't worry, you'll definitely get to see their stories! (In Serlas' case, you can even start on the first day) (I was actually thinking of having extra scenes on them; basically a collection of scenes from the times before they became full time dads)

WIP of the main menu (and RIP me)

Image Image

runeraccoon
Veteran

#4 Post by runeraccoon »

Extra flashback(?) scenes would be awesome! :DDD
I also love the art deco style going on here, it gives nice flavor. There are a lot of things I'm excited to wait for, mainly the overarching plot itself as well as Marce's sprite, so I could start rooting for Aiden's crush XD

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Ghost of Crux »

fuicchi wrote:Extra flashback(?) scenes would be awesome! :DDD
I also love the art deco style going on here, it gives nice flavor. There are a lot of things I'm excited to wait for, mainly the overarching plot itself as well as Marce's sprite, so I could start rooting for Aiden's crush XD
I wrote 1.6k of script just on Aiden asking Serlas about various things. Right now it's mostly on Oddr-- how they came to live together and the likes. Your questions get answered on the first day of the vn. ;D

The overarching plot? Find Nature Cross. The reason? Well, there are 2 different ones, and each reason changes the path...

I'll upload Marce's concept soon! The best part is that their couple name is Maiden >D
Image Image

Cube
Regular
Completed: You and Me | Love is in Bloom
Projects: Ego Holic
Tumblr: qbstudios
itch: qbstudios

#6 Post by Cube »

Ghost of Crux wrote:He's got this.
Probably more like Aiden 'I DON'T GOT THIS'? xD Okay, jokes aside, it sound very interesting and dang, I really love the main manu WIP so far. The art nouveau style is A+.
ImageImageImage

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Cube wrote:
Ghost of Crux wrote:He's got this.
Probably more like Aiden 'I DON'T GOT THIS'? xD Okay, jokes aside, it sound very interesting and dang, I really love the main manu WIP so far. The art nouveau style is A+.
TBH THE ENTIRE THING IS JUST
Ces and Es: WE GOT THIS *¤☆°○☆
Aiden: NO WE DOOOON--
[vague crashing noises]

The adults just pat Aiden as he hides.

I'm glad you found it interesting! :'D There will be a mix of Art Deco aesthetics in the Art Nouveau-centric art, too. This entire thing is why this will take a while.

I'll post some more progress and teasers once I get back from this trip.
Image Image

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Ghost of Crux »

First post updated with new character portraits! I'm whipping these out as fast as possible since they're just thread prettifier, but I thought I might as well make this place look decent. I'll be drawing the currently-faceless characters first, like Marce and Erthal. Then it's the uncles.

(To be honest, at this point, I'm not really sure what the art style for the VN will look like. I'm very hesitant on settling on anything. Because, well-- while the game is planned to be free, I was thinking of doing a kickstarter for background music and possibly even a background/redone GUI. The kickstarter will come far, far later, once I've got a decent chunk of the game AND have the first two or three days out as a demo, but it will be there. I just really want a personalized soundtrack. I might end up having the base game free with a version that has a few extra stories out for maybe $3-5. You guys can provide me with some input on this, but you don't have to do it now; I'll ask the questions again once I release the demo.)

On to actual updates. I actually posted it on tumblr a while ago but I forgot to do this here:
Potentially placeholder GUI that might get replaced later. I'm still not sure how everything will look together, and I want to be able to tweak anything to get a good overall look.

Image Image

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Haven't been working on anything much other than my writing because of college, but here are some concept arts.
I might or might not have been feeling the fuzzies from Oddr

ImageImage

I'm also thinking of doing the sprites in this coloring style? It's tentative and I'd like your guys' opinion before I continue with the actual sprite arts, so please do give your feedback.
Image Image

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#10 Post by Googaboga »

This sounds really neat and the characters all sound cool so far. Also, I like the idea of getting to know people without it being tied to a character path.

And here's some feedback on some things-
If you're gonna do a Kickstater I'd say it probably be better to have a payed version of the game along with the free one or even make the whole thing commercial. Free games have a really tough time being funded. Even with other rewards it seems people are pretty hesitant to give money to something that's gonna be released for free.

On the art style, I think it's pretty, especially the way the clothes are done. Though the shading under the eyes makes him look a somewhat older than I think he's meant to.

Good luck with your project ^^.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Googaboga wrote:This sounds really neat and the characters all sound cool so far. Also, I like the idea of getting to know people without it being tied to a character path.

And here's some feedback on some things-
If you're gonna do a Kickstater I'd say it probably be better to have a payed version of the game along with the free one or even make the whole thing commercial. Free games have a really tough time being funded. Even with other rewards it seems people are pretty hesitant to give money to something that's gonna be released for free.

On the art style, I think it's pretty, especially the way the clothes are done. Though the shading under the eyes makes him look a somewhat older than I think he's meant to.

Good luck with your project ^^.
Thank you! The character path thing doesn't really make sense in this case, since there's only one romanceable character and half the cast are like, dad figures xD

I was thinking of having the extended version be commercial ($5 ish?) while the base game is free, and said extended version will probably have various storylines based on funding levels. While I'm still not sure about the others, I was thinking of adding the parents' story, which might be around 40-50% of the main story's length. Would this work?

How old do you think he is on that picture? That picture won't be used as a sprite, but I'd definitely like to know more details.

Thank you so much!
Image Image

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#12 Post by Googaboga »

Thank you! The character path thing doesn't really make sense in this case, since there's only one romanceable character and half the cast are like, dad figures xD
Haha, that's fun. I'm pretty partial to games with an emphasis on family :3.
I was thinking of having the extended version be commercial ($5 ish?) while the base game is free, and said extended version will probably have various storylines based on funding levels. While I'm still not sure about the others, I was thinking of adding the parents' story, which might be around 40-50% of the main story's length. Would this work?
As long as getting the extended edition is a reward and is talked up, I think it should at least be helpful. Tiers with the game as a reward tend to be what most people go for, so projects that don't have that type of reward are at a big disadvantage. I can't recall seeing a Kickstarter that was going to have a free and paid version though so I'm not sure how helpful it will be. I suppose it will depend on how desirable the paid version seems to people in comparison to the free one. I personally would be willing to pay for extra storylines.
How old do you think he is on that picture? That picture won't be used as a sprite, but I'd definitely like to know more details.
I'm not sure what specific age I'd give it, but the way he was talked about (happy to not be treated like a kid and being called a shy boy) wouldn't have been my impression of him by the look of the sprite. It just doesn't seem like someone who'd be treated as a youth I guess is what I mean.
Thank you so much!
No problem. I hope it's somewhat helpful C:.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Ghost of Crux »

As long as getting the extended edition is a reward and is talked up, I think it should at least be helpful. Tiers with the game as a reward tend to be what most people go for, so projects that don't have that type of reward are at a big disadvantage. I can't recall seeing a Kickstarter that was going to have a free and paid version though so I'm not sure how helpful it will be. I suppose it will depend on how desirable the paid version seems to people in comparison to the free one. I personally would be willing to pay for extra storylines.
So far I'm thinking of adding the ability to do the entire quest with some of the adults-- to be exact, you can do certain sections with Erthal, Serlas, Oddr, and Levane-- a character I haven't posted yet, but is another hero from the story. This should branch out the story in some way, and there will be an extra ending or two with extra routes. Since the entire story is about the things hidden from Aiden, more perspective opens up more danger and information.

The storylines I'm thinking about are basically:
1) the story of the heroes who defeated the dragon,
2) the detailed stories of the parents each, (though Erthal, Yvren, and Serlas would be clumped together, and Oddr and Caylin)
3) probably a light-hearted holiday-related ministory, most likely a non-irl holiday,
4) for anyone who actually wants to know how the parents hooked up... the "how I ended up hitched to your dad" stories (I am garbage sorry)

I'll definitely try my best to try to market it up but I guess I at least just need money for the music, and not for everything else... >>
I'm not sure what specific age I'd give it, but the way he was talked about (happy to not be treated like a kid and being called a shy boy) wouldn't have been my impression of him by the look of the sprite. It just doesn't seem like someone who'd be treated as a youth I guess is what I mean.
All right! I'll keep that in mind. I probably should make it a bit lighter...
Thank you so much for the input! It's really helpful.
Image Image

runeraccoon
Veteran

#14 Post by runeraccoon »

Ghost of Crux wrote: the "how I ended up hitched to your dad" stories (I am garbage sorry)
YAAAAAAS

Ahem. I love Marce's sprite, and I can't hold off this shippy feels between them af. I know you're focusing on Nano this March, but I'd really like this VN to be finished soon too. :"D Good luck!

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Ghost of Crux »

fuicchi wrote:
Ghost of Crux wrote: the "how I ended up hitched to your dad" stories (I am garbage sorry)
YAAAAAAS

Ahem. I love Marce's sprite, and I can't hold off this shippy feels between them af. I know you're focusing on Nano this March, but I'd really like this VN to be finished soon too. :"D Good luck!
AHAHAHA
I HAVE SUCH STRONG FEELINGS FOR THEM I CAN'T EVEN

Also if you're feeling interested in Marce's and Aiden's relationship-- I have a fic or two of them here. I have several that aren't posted yet but eh :'d Might fic the dads too later.

Thanks!
Image Image