Ego Holic [BL 18+] [Supernatural/Dark] [DEMO]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Ego Holic [BL 18+] [Supernatural/Dark] [DEMO]

#46 Post by Zelan »

@PMscenarios: "Card" can be used as a verb, and it basically just means "comb." c:

Cube
Regular
Completed: You and Me | Love is in Bloom
Projects: Ego Holic
Tumblr: qbstudios
itch: qbstudios

#47 Post by Cube »

PMscenarios wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:35 am
First of all, the GUI is amazing. So pretty - well-designed and impressive. I was also really impressed by the animations - the rain and other background elements. Very well done, and it added so much to the mood/feel of the game.
Thanks a bunch! Although I'm no designer, I did my best with the GUI.
PMscenarios wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:35 am The music is really good - moody, doesn't intrude on the story, just overall suitable and pleasant to listen to.
My musician is very pleased to hear that!!
PMscenarios wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:35 am The world presented is really interesting, I like the urban fantasy aspects and the hints to what could have happened earlier to create this lock-down on magic. It feels like a well-crafted world that I'm just beginning to figure out, and that is incredibly interesting to me. I also like several of the characters -
Leonard is intriguing and I understand where he comes from just wanting to run away from everything.
Legato is very intriguing, both personality-wise and the seeding of other info about him.
Leonard's sister wasn't as fleshed out on the path I took (I chose to stay with Legato), but she feels like an older sister that really loves her brother and is trying to be supportive while frustrated that he's pulling away from her.
The twins are interesting, and by the time Legato mentioned their protectiveness of Leonard I was happy to hear they'd be an important part of the story.
The other characters I'm kinda neutral on. The 2 other love interests (again probably because of the path I took) kinda just show up and say "Hi, I'm here" without telling me much about them, but then I'm way more into world-building, mysteries and meta-plot than I am romance, so naturally I ended up being the most intrigued by the character that offers me that. And I didn't dislike any of the characters.
That is... so on point, I don't know what to say. I'm happy that everything I wanted to do with these characters turned out this way.
PMscenarios wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:35 am The switch to hearing the story from Legato's side was a nice surprise and I wouldn't mind if the rest of the story is written from different view points like that. I was wondering if we go back to Leonard or not though.
Spoiler: There'll be different viewpoints throughout the game.
PMscenarios wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:35 am -- Overall I really wanna know more about the world and Leonard and Legato's backstories. The hooks delivered on this front are really effective.
I'm glad you're intrigued! I thought their stories might not be interesting enough.
PMscenarios wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:35 am The character art is a bit inconsistent. Leonard in particular is really well drawn and looks pretty throughout the game - Legato and Theodore are also well-drawn and attractive, while "handsome boy" just feels a bit.. generic? I didn't really feel I understood what Leonard saw in him. The size discrepancy between Leonard's sprite and some of the others is also quite noticeable when several sprites are on the screen at the same time.
None of these are big concerns, and I'd play through the entire game with the art like this, no problem, but if you're planning to go commercial it might be an issue.
You raised a good point there - I've had my problems with Jonathan aka handsome boy as well. I've found another way to resolve that now!
The size issues is noted, however, I will ask for other opinions on this matter, too.
PMscenarios wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:35 am Leonard's flashback to how he got hired kinda comes out of nowhere, it took the twins showing up for me to finally figure out that that's what it was. Until then I was really confused about why the bookstore we'd taken shelter from the rain in had the same background as our workplace. I also kept wondering if the note was part of the flashback and what happened with it, until it was finally revealed that it wasn't and Leonard was still trying to deal with the issue.
Will work on a way to make it more clear to the player that a flashback is supposed to happen. I thought the color change of the BG would be enough, but I get that it's definitely not.
PMscenarios wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:35 am
What is Leonard's thing about food?! He talks about/thinks about/does things related to food so much during the demo. I'm guessing from his disturbing thoughts during the flashback that it has some sort of plot relevance - maybe something to do with magic energy? But having it consistently be a topic of discussion/importance without any context became a bit annoying after a while. I hope there's a pay off for it further into the story.

Does he or does he not remember what happened with the contract? He seems to know that Legato is a.. demon? Familiar? Something supernatural - but he keeps getting upset about Legato giving books away for free, even though he also acknowledges that it's a trick to get ppl to come back and even sees it work with Daphne(?). By the time I got to Legato's path he'd had 3 freak-outs over this, just to be reassured it was fine every time, and when Legato said he got "something else" out of it, Leonard was weirdly surprised.
With the ever-present magic and his own recognition of the store being a special place I just don't get why he keeps reacting like that.
Hm, since I wanted to achieve just that, I'm a bit in a pinch - Legato is indeed a supernatural being, but it won't be stated explicitly in the whole VN what he is. Leonard knows, and he kinda understands that there's... tricks and such involved, but he gets upset anyways, since he's human and cares for those people who get tricked. Also, the whole food issue will be addressed later on. Will consult with my editor about this, thanks for noticing!
Regarding the editor and spelling mistakes:
I still need every help I can get on this project and would be humbled if you still got the time to help out!

Regarding the sound issue:
Resolved.

Regarding the weird transistions:
I experienced it, too, but since the code is as the same as the stuff before, I really don't know why it's doing this. Gotta put it on my low priorities since I have no idea how to fix it (yet).

Regarding the length of the demo:
Yeah, I didn't think about that when I made the demo, tbh. Will keep that in mind for the next demo!
ImageImageImage

Cube
Regular
Completed: You and Me | Love is in Bloom
Projects: Ego Holic
Tumblr: qbstudios
itch: qbstudios

#48 Post by Cube »

Hey guys, as you can see, Ego Holic still isn't released. Real life and completely reworking the story pushes the project back to the end of 2018, maybe even later. I'm sorry.

Hope you haven't lost interest yet.
ImageImageImage