Shigatari [Historical][Samurai][RPG]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
ukiyoefan
Projects: Shigatari
Organization: Super Legit Games
Tumblr: shigatari

Shigatari [Historical][Samurai][RPG]

#1 Post by ukiyoefan »

Samurai RPG with Real Period Art
http://www.shigatari.com for more info, or follow me on twitter.
Description
Shigatari is a game where you do the following:
  1. Create a samurai
  2. Wander the land cutting down peasants, drinking sake, meditating under waterfalls, and writing haiku
  3. Maybe also forge Masamune, become an oni's minion, or visit a kagema
  4. Get killed or commit seppuku
  5. Repeat until boredom or you 100% the cheevos
Story
The world in Shigatari is randomized every time you play. Despite this, your goal will be the same each time: defeat the seven dojo masters and confront the emperor.

There are multiple starts and multiple endings. One time you might be avenging your lord who was unfairly implicated in a political scandal (think seven samurai), while another time you might be fulfilling your sensei's dreams vicariously...
(One of the starts)

World
The world is broken in to seven regions. Each region is broken in to ~15-20 locations. A location is a scene, such as "Two bandits arguing over loot", "An overeager sushi merchant", or "A Lover's Suicide". The contents and order of these scenes is the chief way the world is randomized.
(One of the seven regions)

Gameplay
Shigatari includes a somewhat realistic katana combat system. Attacks are targeted at specific body parts, defense is active and also targeted, there are five real kenjutsu stances, and you can eat sushi for buffs. The combat system was built upon a simulation, so there are some cool emergent things that happen. My favorite is mutual kills.
(Fighting a random samurai)

Artwork
Shigatari is built using entirely public domain period artwork that is tragically unappreciated. Every time this shitty meme appears, my blood pressure rises. I'm hopeful that in showcasing this amazing artwork, others will come to love it as much as I do.

Steam
Shigatari is nearly complete, and I've submitted it to Steam Greenlight. If you would like to support Shigatari and my descent into madness, please vote.
Steam Greenlight

Code
I'm open to talking codes if people are interested. Here is a snippet of how I pick random character art for scenes:

Code: Select all

init python:
    char_imagefiles = [x for x in renpy.list_files() if 'images/characters/' in x] 
    char_imagelist = [[x.split('/')[-1].split('.')[0].replace('_',' '),x] for x in char_imagefiles]
    for char_image in char_imagelist: renpy.image(char_image[0], char_image[1])

def get_random_char(tags):
        try: return random.choice(list(char[0] for char in char_imagelist if all(x in char[0] for x in tags)))
        except StopIteration: return None

# filenames include underscore delimited "tags"
    # examples: .../images/characters/samurai_man_spd_2.png, .../images/characters/samurai_wom_spd_1.png

# so if I wanted to get a random samurai who looks like they would have a high SPD stat, I would use...
    # $ npc_image = get_random_char(["samurai","spd"])

# and if I want to display it, something like this...
    # $ renpy.show(npc_image,at_list=[right],tag='npc')
Hopefully that makes sense. Hit me up if you want more details.

FonaCall
Regular
Projects: Bahay Kubo, Tower of Saviors Cries of Soul
Organization: Black Eared Games
Tumblr: blackearedgames
Deviantart: fonacall
Soundcloud: fona-call

Re: Shigatari [Historical][Samurai][RPG]

#2 Post by FonaCall »

THIS LOOKS AWESOME AND HILARIOUS!!!

Question: Would this be commercial or would this be free?
SO MANY GAMES, SO LITTLE TIME!!!

For those who are freelance VN staff and also for those who are VN team leaders, please read this. Inform yourselves. Thank you.

Status: More or less busy with IRL work and finishing a game in time for Halloween Jam in itch.io

Brainstorming for the following:
My Seven Deadly Friends | the rest of the ideas

ukiyoefan
Projects: Shigatari
Organization: Super Legit Games
Tumblr: shigatari

Re: Shigatari [Historical][Samurai][RPG]

#3 Post by ukiyoefan »

Thanks! I'm glad you get me.

I'm hoping to do a commercial release (hence Steam Greenlight). If that doesn't work out I'll probably release for free. So if you want to get the game for free I recommend voting no on my Greenlight page and posting a mean comment.