Tears of Glass [Romance otome, Supernatural, School, GxB]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Impulse
Regular
Projects: Tears of Glass [Romance VN, Supernatural, School, GxB]
Deviantart: mariscribbles

Re: Tears of Glass [Romance otome, Supernatural, School, GxB

#31 Post by Impulse »

Update!

Both Ayato's route and the main story is now 50 % done!!!

I'm writing directly in renpy so it takes a little longer since I'm also adding all the transitions, sprites, CG's and whatnot as I go. But I've come halfway now and it feels so unbelievably good! I was originally planning on making the game around 1 hour per route, but now I already have about one hour of playing time and it's not done yet so... Yeah. It's going to be a longer game than I thought. If that puts you guys off, I completely understand, but just know that a longer game often leaves more room for story and character development, which I think is extremely important.

Stay tuned. The progress is going a little slow because I've been working a lot these past days/weeks and haven't had a lot of time to work on this project, but bear with me! I still believe I'll be able to make the deadline so don't worry too much about it. ^^
Current project (on hold):
Tears of Glass - [Romance otome, Supernatural, School, GxB] - http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=37523
Demo for Tears of Glass - viewtopic.php?f=45&t=38285

Impulse
Regular

#32 Post by Impulse »

Update! New expressions for Mayumi!

I've just finished a few new expressions for Mayumi. Now she's got 15 different expressions if you include blush! Below you can see some of them. I originally intended to post every expression in my first post, but it took up way too much space. Instead you'll just have to see them when the game is released (or I might create an album or something) :)

ImageImageImage
ImageImage

The expressions I have is neutral, smiling, laughing, upset, angry, sad, surprised, panicked and sweat drop (don't really know what to call this one), and most of them have blush as well.

Questions:

- Do you like the new expressions? Which one is your favorite?
- Do you think I need to add more/is there any expression you're missing?
Last edited by Impulse on Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tears of Glass - [Romance otome, Supernatural, School, GxB] - http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=37523

Impulse
Regular

#33 Post by Impulse »

New outfits for Mayumi!

ImageImageImageImage

Mayumi now has 4 different outfits: her school uniform, casual clothing, sport/not bothered and a swimsuit! Next I will work on one or two new outfits for Ami, as well as some expressions. If I have time I'll work on Ayato's last outfit as well. So be sure to see some more updates these next few days ^^

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#34 Post by Zelan »

Sorry for the silence on my end! I was on a two-day hike without Internet. Fuuuun. -_-

I actually like longer games! It's always cool to know that there will be a lot of character development. Seeing the characters grow and watching relationships form is one of my favorite things abut reading (both books and VNs).

I'm always a sucker for cute blush expressions. <3 That's probably my favorite. I also like that panicked one on the bottom right, though. cx I think you've got yourself a pretty good collection of expressions already! The only one I might suggest is a crying sprite, but if Mayumi never cries it won't be necessary. *shrugs* That's the only obvious one that I could think of. Of course, if you find that you need another expression in the middle of writing, there's nothing stopping you from drawing it.

I really like Mayumi's orange shirt! It's got a cute style and it brings out her hair nicely. It's really cool to see that you're putting so much time into the sprites for this game. owo I'm loving everything so far.

Impulse
Regular

#35 Post by Impulse »

@Zelan:
Oh, don't worry. I hope you had some fun at least on your hike ^^

I'm glad you like the fact that it'll be a longer game, and that you like my sprites. I wasn't planning on making so many at first, but then I learned a lot of new things in SAI and it goes by way faster than before now. So I though "why not? If I'm gonna make a game, I'd better make it a good one!" :D. Actually, I just got to a part in the story where Mayumi cries so a crying expression would be perfect for that scene, so thank you for pointing it out :).

Impulse
Regular

ami

#36 Post by Impulse »

Another update - Ami

ImageImage
ImageImage

So I spent a few hours creating some new expressions for Ami, as well as two new outfits. Since she's the Captain of the swimming club, of course she has to have a bathing suit! And also because she has PE with Mayumi, she needs something comfy to run in (looks more like a pajamas, but I thought it was cute haha). I don't think I'll make any more outfits for Ami. Maybe a casual outfit if I have time, but that's not the number one priority so we'll see about that one. She's got 6 expressions and two of them have blush as well.

Impulse
Regular

#37 Post by Impulse »

Ayato's new outfit!

Yay! I'm finished with all sprites of Ayato now! Three outfits, 9 expressions and 2 poses all in all!

What do you think? I was a bit worried about the color-combo at first, but then I thought it looked pretty good with the layed-back down-to-earth look. Do you agree with me? Or would you have preferred if there were more color?

It's so strange to look at my sprites folder and see that I now have 135 different sprites and sprite variations in there (like whaaaat!??!). When I first started making this game I thought that I would have a maximum of 5 expressions and only one outfit and pose per character. I also thought I would only have sprites for the guys and Mayumi would be invisible while Ami wouldn't even exist. Now I've decided on making sprites for not-so-important characters as well, which I never thought I would do when I started this project. To be honest, I'd never coded a single thing in my life except html before this, I had never drawn anime style and I didn't even know what SAI was (which is the program I'm using to make all the art). It's just really strange to see how far I've come and how much I've learned. I'm actually very proud of myself.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#38 Post by Zelan »

Man, Ami just gets cuter every time you draw her. <3 I love the hem on that green shirt! Ayato looks great, too - his rumpled shirt reflects his "don't care" personality. The color seems pretty good to me - if anything, I would make those pants a lighter shade of green, like an olive green.

Wow, I didn't realize that you had planned this to be a much smaller VN originally! The progress that you've made in just one month is astounding. I'm amazed by how well-done everything is, really!

Now I'm curious about how you normally draw. What's your usual style? What did you use before SAI? Were you already familiar with digital art or were you previously a traditional artist?

Impulse
Regular

#39 Post by Impulse »

@Zelan. Thank you! I also think Ami is super cute. She's also the funniest to write dialogue for I think because her personality is so liberal and lively. I will test and see if it looks better with a lighter shade of green. Thanks for the suggestion, I might use it. :)

Yeah when I discovered renpy I knew I wanted to make a game. I had tried to make some small horror rpg's before in rpg maker, but I didn't like the program and ended up scrapping it. I've always loved to write so when I saw there was a program where you could make VN's I got hooked. I just HAD to learn it. Because I had never used the program before I didn't think the game would be big, but then I got into it and now I just want it to be as good as possible because I know I can. :)

I used Paint, as in Microsoft Paint, when I was younger and I was actually pretty good with it. I used to paint cartoons and a lot of trees for some reason. I have used Photoshop and gimp as well, but I was never very good at it. Now I only use gimp for effects that I can't create in SAI or for cropping and resizing. So to answer your question, I had some experience with digital art, but I'm mostly a traditional artist that use pen and paper - or, more often, a paintbrush and canvas. I paint with oil and watercolor in a realistic style. I like to use a lot of color and usually paint either animal or nature motifs. My favorite is sunsets because they have so many colors and I love blending them all together. I'm actually a lot better with a paintbrush than a pen x). I'll post two of my paintings below so you can see. The first one is pretty old, about 3 years old when I first started experiencing with colors, and the second one is from a few months back.

ImageImage

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#40 Post by Zelan »

I've recently been trying to figure out Ren'py myself, although I'm not entirely sure what I would be doing in terms of a game yet. Never did try RPG Maker, although I've heard of it.

Those sunsets are just stunning, oh my gosh, especially that tree painting. I've always envied artists; I have never been able to draw what I see in my head, so I write it instead. cx So I guess anime style is quite the change from your normal style, not to mention learning how to use a couple new programs. You've been doing well with everything considering how much new stuff you're jumping into!

Some of your paintings are going to be used as images in the game, right? That'll be cool.

Impulse
Regular

#41 Post by Impulse »

You have no idea how happy it makes me that you like my paintings! I've always found it embarrassing to show my art since it's so personal, but maybe this project is a way for me to overcome that fear. Yes, I am planning on using some of my paintings in the game because Hiroki is a painter and I want to show some of "his" work, but it just doesn't feel right drawing them on the computer (maybe it's the artist inside me that's complaining haha). I'm not really sure how to put them in game though, since it's not so easy to scan a canvas x).

I don't recommend RPG maker because it's not free if you want to do more advanced stuff (like changing anything in the script) and it takes a lot of time to learn. Renpy is also a bit hard to learn, but you can make do with only knowing the basics. When I first saw the coding in renpy I was all "nope, not happening", but then I watched a lot of youtube videos and read a bunch of tutorials - I probably spent a whole day just researching before I decided to give it a go. If you don't want to spend a whole day researching then I suggest you just start writing, either in word or some other program, or directly into renpy. I figure out a lot of things as I go and to keep track of the story and all the different branches I use a flowchart (draw.io is a good site that I use. You save the file to your computer and you won't need an account to use the site). It's very easy to keep track and you can also make small notes in the chart (very useful if you use a points-system and if-statements).

I understand that coming up with the story can be one of the hardest parts when writing, but you only need one tiny idea to develop it into a huge novel. A dream, for example is a great starting point, or just a random though on the bus. It doesn't have to be the most original idea because with the right characters and setting the story will be unique to you. Even if you're not sure how the story should end or what the characters should be like I believe that you should jump head first into your story. If it turns out to be a big flop, then so be it. But I think it's good to have a challenge. That's what I do at least and it's been working so far :D

Impulse
Regular

#42 Post by Impulse »

Oh, I also wanted to ask you something. It's an idea I have for this project. Since I will have multiple endings, I was wondering if you'd think it'd be cool to have small facts about the project and the characters after each epilogue as a bonus thing, but also to motivate the player to unlock each ending? Like "did you know that Ami's red hair symbolizes XXXXX" or "did you know that that Hiroki was based off of XXXX from the anime XXXXX" (yes, all three guys were loosely based off of an anime character)?

Do you think it's a good idea, or just pointless? :)

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#43 Post by Zelan »

Pfft. Now I'm just imagining some poor person with a canvas jammed into a scanner. cx Is there any kind of thick paper that you could paint on? I really don't know anything about art supplies in general, but there's a thought, I guess. Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing how you incorporate your paintings!

I've been going through the Ren'py Tutorial Game. Most of it seems like I could get it down with a little practice, but the whole section on moving things around just went straight over my head. Hopefully I won't need to use that too often in anything I make. cx I think I'll be able to figure things out if I take it slowly. Also, draw.io is really nice! Thanks for the tips! ^_^

I do have a few bigger ideas knocking around in my brain, but I feel like I'd want to hold off on some of them for a while until I'm certain that I know what I'm doing with Ren'py. You're probably right that I should just jump into it, though - I won't get anything done otherwise! I'm thinking of trying to find some creative commons art and music and work from there on my first one.

That's a really cool idea! I personally like anything extra that is unlocked after getting endings, whether it's a character profile, a true ending, or something entirely different. And I also love learning reasons behind character designs and personalities - so interesting ahhhhh! Character design is just my favorite thing ever, so I love anything to do with that.

Impulse
Regular

#44 Post by Impulse »

Hahahha yeah, I guess I can figure something out. Otherwise I'll just have to make do with photographs and try to get as much of the background out as possible.

Yeah the renpy tutorial game is great, but there are also a lot of other sites where you can learn new stuff. Or you can always ask around on this forum, there's a lot of helpful people here :)

I think it's a good idea to work from art and music resources, because sometimes you will not find the exact background or music you're looking for. So it's good to know what you have and see what you can do with it.

I'm glad you like the idea. :D I just hope I'm not teasing you too much with this info haha ^^ I also really like to unlock stuff by completing endings or special memories. I am actually incorporating "special scenes" as well which will be scattered throughout the whole game. These scenes will unlock if you have done everything perfect with one character up to that point. For example there's a scene where you start to suspect Ayato and Naozumi are hiding something from you. If you have done everything perfect with Ayato up to that point you get a choice to say "wait" and confront him about it or say "okay" and follow him. If you choose "wait" you'll get a special scene that will later be re-playable from the memory room. These scenes are not meant to be available on the first playthrough because it's really hard to get everything perfect on the first try (but I will post a walkthrough if you want to check it out). :)

Oh, and by the way. I can't make any promises, but I'm pretty sure I'll be done with all writing and script for Ayato's route in about 2 weeks or so! :D By that time, do you think I should post a demo, or should I wait until the game is almost finished before posting a demo? :)

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#45 Post by Zelan »

Yeah, I'll probably finish out the tutorial game, come up with an idea for a shorter game, and then looks stuff up as I go along. ^_^ Thanks for the encouragement!

Oooh, I really like the idea of special memories! I don't think that I've seen anything like that in a VN before, and I like the concept a lot.

I've always felt like a demo is best when showcasing only a small taste of the game, so posting a demo sooner might be better than later. It might be best to have it be only the prologue/common route. I've never really liked it when a demo has options for some but not all of the romance routes - I've always thought that it should be all or nothing. That's just my opinion, though - you could ask around and see what other people have done with their demos. c: