Harem Protagonist! [Animated][Romance][Humor]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
CuddleBeam
Regular

Harem Protagonist! [Animated][Romance][Humor]

#1 Post by CuddleBeam »

We're on Steam Concepts! Check us out! Your support is deeply appreciated!
>> https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =645219968 <<
Note: All of the girls will be animated!

You are the Harem Protagonist! This is going to be an informal, humorous, fanservicey, dating sim game that will play on the tropes of the Harem genre.

Our story starts out with you being born into a new and fresh Harem Show. You're the main character, and oddly enough, you're aware of that. With the help of the Narrator - a semi-omnipresent voice that only you can hear (because protagonist privileges, bruh) you are now have the quest of conquering the hearts of several hot anime chicks.

Let's just hope that you're good enough for the challenge. Handling so many sweethearts won't be easy!

Current Heroines:

-Paranormal Investigator Loli
-Tinkerer Tomboy
-"Wolf-in-Sheep's-Clothing" Yandere
-Busty Tsundere
-Gamer Dandere
-Foreign Foodie
-Athlete Musclegirl

Pick the right choices! Conquer! Fulfill your destiny as the Harem Protagonist!

---

So, that's the game! I'm super excited to release it soon on Kickstarter!

What extra content would you like to see? Being able "poke" the characters and have them react, animated and all? Achievements? Tell me your ideas, because I'd love to hear them!

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Harem Protagonist! [Animated][Romance][Humor]

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

CuddleBeam wrote: Our story starts out with you being born into a new and fresh Harem Show. You're the main character, and oddly enough, you're aware of that. With the help of the Narrator - a semi-omnipresent voice that only you can hear...
1. Can the main character talk back to the narrator?

2. Will the MC benefit from being genre savvy? Will his knowledge cause problems or conflicts?

3. He knows that he is a harem protagonist. Therefore, does that mean that seeing choices in a conversation is a supernatural ability given to him? Likewise, does that mean that the following standard visual novel features are among his supernatural powers...

* Saving and loading
* Event flags
* Multiple endings
* Statistics and time management (if you choose to create complex simulation gameplay)
CuddleBeam wrote: -Paranormal Investigator Loli
-Tinkerer Tomboy
-"Wolf-in-Sheep's-Clothing" Yandere
-Busty Tsundere
-Gamer Dandere
-Foreign Foodie
-Athlete Musclegirl

Short descriptions of characters can give you (as a writer) some ideas about how the characters will think and act. They can give the reader expectations regarding who these fictional people are.

Will your characters adhere to their short descriptions? Is there more to them? I don't know if your comedy story will benefit if they have hidden depths and complex motivations.
CuddleBeam wrote: What extra content would you like to see? Being able "poke" the characters and have them react, animated and all?
I played Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side and some of its two sequels. In at least the first two games, the protagonist can touch her love interests during some event scenes, and during times when they choose to go out on dates. It was interesting to figure out how this worked. Sometimes the heroes responded in positive ways, and at other times, the guys did not like her touching them. All of this is in the context of a franchise which has mild CERO B ratings for content. If official English versions were created, then I think they would get an ESRB Teen rating at most.

I would be interested in a boy x girl story in which the main character can touch his love interests. Think about what level of content you want to create. Ask yourself what type of rating Harem Protagonist would get if it were rated by the MPAA or the ESRB.

CuddleBeam
Regular

#3 Post by CuddleBeam »

gekiganwing wrote: 1. Can the main character talk back to the narrator?
Yep!
gekiganwing wrote: 2. Will the MC benefit from being genre savvy? Will his knowledge cause problems or conflicts?
If the player makes genre-savvy choices!

gekiganwing wrote:3. He knows that he is a harem protagonist. Therefore, does that mean that seeing choices in a conversation is a supernatural ability given to him? Likewise, does that mean that the following standard visual novel features are among his supernatural powers...

* Saving and loading
* Event flags
* Multiple endings
* Statistics and time management (if you choose to create complex simulation gameplay)
In a sense, yes! It's present, but not taken too seriously, like Pokemon violence and the possibility of mutilation and such.
gekiganwing wrote:
Short descriptions of characters can give you (as a writer) some ideas about how the characters will think and act. They can give the reader expectations regarding who these fictional people are.

Will your characters adhere to their short descriptions? Is there more to them? I don't know if your comedy story will benefit if they have hidden depths and complex motivations.
Oh, the plot is tastefully humorous, yet also deep. It's really awesome. And the script for the Kickstarter is already all written! (I didn't write it, a small army of writers did :P )

gekiganwing wrote: I played Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side and some of its two sequels. In at least the first two games, the protagonist can touch her love interests during some event scenes, and during times when they choose to go out on dates. It was interesting to figure out how this worked. Sometimes the heroes responded in positive ways, and at other times, the guys did not like her touching them. All of this is in the context of a franchise which has mild CERO B ratings for content. If official English versions were created, then I think they would get an ESRB Teen rating at most.

I would be interested in a boy x girl story in which the main character can touch his love interests. Think about what level of content you want to create. Ask yourself what type of rating Harem Protagonist would get if it were rated by the MPAA or the ESRB.
Teen is the aim, like most Harem shows get anyways :P

That is certainly a great idea! I'll see if we can implement it somehow, I appreciate the input!

CuddleBeam
Regular

#4 Post by CuddleBeam »

HAREM PROTAGONIST'S KICKSTARTER AND STEAM GREENLIGHT WILL BE UP

THIS WEEKEND

And I'd be really thankful for you support and votes - because they matter a lot!

I'm nervous. And excited. I've worked on this for a while now, and I strive to make the most impressive dating sim games in the market - and Live2D has helped me a lot with impressing people with my previews and animations, and I'm so thankful.

I'm going to make another post when its up, but BE INFORMED! THIS WEEKEND! Your votes and support mean a LOT, and I'd appreciate it so hard if you could help me out, even if just a bit!

See you there!

zankizuna
Veteran
Completed: Monochrome Valentine
Projects: Softwar
Deviantart: raseru09
itch: ZanKizuna

#5 Post by zankizuna »

Yay!! Oppai!
hahahahaha
Awesome thing that all of them are animated!! really!
How do you not make the protagonist a jerk while being in harem?
Coz that's sort of a really big problem nowadays

CuddleBeam
Regular

#6 Post by CuddleBeam »

Ah! Thank you so much Zankizuna!

The protagonist isn't a jerk by default lol, he is pretty much your average anime main character. Through your choices, you can act as a jerk, or you can be a cool guy! It's in the players hands, really.

zankizuna
Veteran
Completed: Monochrome Valentine
Projects: Softwar
Deviantart: raseru09
itch: ZanKizuna

#7 Post by zankizuna »

right. That's awesome. Hoping for the real success of this project!

CuddleBeam
Regular

#8 Post by CuddleBeam »

Hello guys!

WE'RE LIVE ON KICKSTARTER AND GREENLIGHT!
Here we go!
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/21 ... rotagonist
Greenlight: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =728605880

Please help us out with your support to make it happen! - because your votes and your contributions really matter - they're decisive, and they will be very (very) appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Kuiper
Regular
Completed: Cursed Lands, Trial by Fire
Projects: Necrobarista, Idol Manager
Organization: Route 59 Games
Tumblr: kuiperblog

#9 Post by Kuiper »

By the way, for those who haven't had a chance to check it out yet, there is a playable demo available (if this link goes down for whatever reason, you should be able to find an updated working link on the Kickstarter page). Several people have already posted Let's Play youtube videos of their time with the demo, and as one of the writers, watching people play and react to something that I contributed to has been a really cool and gratifying experience.

The game is officially greenlit on Steam, and the Kickstarter has been a smashing success, raising over €35,000 so far and blowing through all of its original stretch goals. New stretch goals have been added, with the caveat that the new stretch reward tiers are expected to be delivered 2-3 months after the game is released, due to the extra production time they require.
Necrobarista - serve coffee to the living and the dead
Idol Manager - experience the glamour and dangers of the pop idol industry
Cursed Lands - a mix of high fantasy and gothic horror

Mooteish

#10 Post by Mooteish »

Hey guys it’s mooteish. I accidentally clicked out of the discord and now I can’t get back in. Can you help me return to the discord server please?