Idol Manager [business sim, dark comedy]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
GreyWolfXx
Regular
IRC Nick: Grey

Re: Idol Manager [business sim, dark comedy] - new video tra

#31 Post by GreyWolfXx »

Wow, this game looks really awesome. It seems really interactive and professional. This seems of such high quality that I'm surprised it's not commercial (unless it is)?
I would be happy to buy this or even back the kickstarter. The whole concept is unique and I'd have a blast with managing all those girls. Who isn't a sucker for lots of choice?
I'm looking forward to it.

"We have been to the moon, we have charted the depths of the ocean and the heart of the atom,
but we have a fear of looking inward to ourselves because we sense that is where
all the contradictions flow together." -- Terrence Mckenna

Wiguan

#32 Post by Wiguan »

This project looks promising.
Still no more playable demo?

timepatches
Regular
Completed: When Aster Falls; Were|House; DemiDato: Monster Dating Show; Grand-Nya
Projects: The Bat-Chelor
Organization: Sad Ghost Studios
Tumblr: sadghoststudios
itch: Sad Ghost Studios

#33 Post by timepatches »

This game is intriguing so far! Definitely marking this to stalk progress!
If you need a proofreader, I'd love to pitch in ;w;

Kuiper
Regular
Completed: Cursed Lands, Trial by Fire
Projects: Necrobarista, Idol Manager
Organization: Route 59 Games
Tumblr: kuiperblog

#34 Post by Kuiper »

Update: I just did a video gameplay walkthrough/dev blog showing off some of the game's features (business proposals) with an early testing build of the game. Over the coming weeks, we're planning to release more of these "development blog" videos in this style to give people a clearer picture of what the game is like.
Wiguan wrote:This project looks promising.
Still no more playable demo?
We don't have a public demo ready for release yet. Right now we're still in the development stages where we are pretty far from being feature complete. One of the hard things about making a demo for this game is that the gameplay is really about overlapping events and managing multiple gameplay systems at once. It's not like a normal VN, where we can have a "chapter 1, chapter 2" and so on that we release in a linear fashion that allows us to work on and release them one at a time as we're developing them. We have a bunch of gameplay systems like business proposals, the relationships system, business operations and staff management, PR events, commercial events, and so on, that are all going to be going on at once, and this makes it hard for us to give a "vertical slice" that allows you to experience a few weeks of gameplay, because in the actual game, you would be engaging with a ton of gameplay systems during that time, and not all of those are fully polished in a state where we feel that we can show them off and have that demo serve as an accurate representation of what the game will actually feel like.

That was part of the reason for wanting to do these "development blog" walkthrough videos (like the one I just linked), because it gives us a chance to show off and explain the gameplay features "one at a time" even though not all of them are fully complete yet.
GreyWolfXx wrote:Wow, this game looks really awesome. It seems really interactive and professional. This seems of such high quality that I'm surprised it's not commercial (unless it is)?
This is indeed a commercial project! Right now we're focused on the game's development so we haven't spent a ton of time promoting the game, but we're planning to hit Kickstarter and Steam Greenlight once the game is further along and we have more to show to potential backers. If you'd like to get a notification when we get to this point, you can sign up for the email list on our website (scroll down to the "email list" section). We're planning to use the email list very sparingly, just to notify people of major updates (like when we launch the Kickstater, and when the game finally launches on Steam); if you want more regular project updates (like the video develop blogs and random screenshots of the things we're working on) you can follow the tumblr or twitter account.
Necrobarista - serve coffee to the living and the dead
Idol Manager - experience the glamour and dangers of the pop idol industry
Cursed Lands - a mix of high fantasy and gothic horror

Sayuui
Regular
Completed: Refraction, I want to fly
Projects: Seraphim
IRC Nick: Sayuui

#35 Post by Sayuui »

I'd like to send you my portfolio because I'd love to work on a great project like this in the future, if there are any positions. But I just got bitchslaped for that, even though I wasn't rude or anything T v T''

I'm sorry for my gross vocabulary, ahhhhh ; ~ ;

Is it okay if I send it to you?
Freelance anime artist. Find me on
Recruitment thread
Twitter
Art portfolio
Instagram
Business inquiries: sayuuiart@gmail.com

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#36 Post by Zelan »

The dev blog video is super cool. ^_^ I would highly recommend that the rest of you check it out, it's a nice look at how some of the features are planned to work.

aE2S
Regular
Projects: Passing Times, Yuri Game Jam 2
Organization: Team aE2S

#37 Post by aE2S »

This definitely looks like something I'll be playing. It's really interactive and the art isn't bad too !

Finally, I hope I get to learn something about the Japanese Pop Idol industry , especially through this beautiful work :)

Kuiper
Regular

#38 Post by Kuiper »

Hey guys, new dev log video update, this one is about producing singles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsRQ6RmueHI

I think that these videos are a good way for us to showcase some of the stuff that we're working on before we get to the point where we can ship a public demo, but if you think that they can be improved or have any other feedback/suggestions, I'd love to hear what you think!

@Sayuui: Thanks for your interest in our project! Right now we aren't recruiting additional artists but I wish you the best of luck in finding an active project to join. In the future, if we're ever looking to hire on additional artists (or other staff) we'll probably do it through a separate thread in the recruitment forum.

JBShields
Regular
Projects: viewtopic.php?f=43&t=47586
Organization: First Step Cinematics

Re: Idol Manager [business sim, dark comedy]

#39 Post by JBShields »

Any new news for the status of this game?

Kuiper
Regular

#40 Post by Kuiper »

Our next developer walkthrough video should be up soon, this time showing off some of the visual novel elements which are going to feature prominently in the completed game. In the meantime, here's a preview of the new animations that we're working on. These visual novel-style "story segments" will probably have less voice-over commentary from me than the gameplay-focused sections but I think they'll help to communicate a lot of the tone that we want to convey through the game.

aeri
Regular
Projects: Thereafter: A Medieval Life, What happens on camera doesn't always stay on camera, etc.
Organization: Meraki Tales
Tumblr: merakitales
itch: merakitales

#41 Post by aeri »

I definitely like the premise as well but it looks like it is all female-centric cast? I definitely hope at some point in time that males will be included or have a separate "edition" :) I may decide to back depending on the price when you reach that point of doing a kickstarter or something similar.

Good luck with the game production and definitely wish your group success!

Rossfellow
Veteran
Projects: Sedatophobia
Organization: Team 3Edgy
Deviantart: l-rossfellow

#42 Post by Rossfellow »

aeri wrote:I definitely like the premise as well but it looks like it is all female-centric cast? I definitely hope at some point in time that males will be included or have a separate "edition" :) I may decide to back depending on the price when you reach that point of doing a kickstarter or something similar.

Good luck with the game production and definitely wish your group success!
The game seems to be based on idol agencies like AKB48, which is an all-girl group, so no. The roles that can be filled with males in such an agency is mostly managerial.

Though.... Imagine a trap idol.

ImageImage
Sedatophobia (latin SedatoPhobia)
___(n) 1: The averse reaction to stillness, silence and/or state of helplessness.
______2: (Psychology) A state of distress where the victim's sense of reality can no longer keep up with his or her imagination.
______Related: Madness, Paranoia, Despair

aeri
Regular
Projects: Thereafter: A Medieval Life, What happens on camera doesn't always stay on camera, etc.
Organization: Meraki Tales
Tumblr: merakitales
itch: merakitales

#43 Post by aeri »

That's true...based don the pictures provided it would probably be them or even morning misume. Definitely potential for an all male version like on johnny's entertainment though!

Definitely got to watch out for those trap idols...and that definitely can give quite a bit of content for the game if creator decides to go that route as well!

FonaCall
Regular
Projects: Bahay Kubo, Tower of Saviors Cries of Soul
Organization: Black Eared Games
Tumblr: blackearedgames
Deviantart: fonacall
Soundcloud: fona-call

#44 Post by FonaCall »

I'm also curious as to how a male-idol-management game would go. Maybe you'll make another game with that theme? Hahaha!

Otherwise, this is pretty damn cool! The idol games I see right now don't really have the grit involved.
SO MANY GAMES, SO LITTLE TIME!!!

For those who are freelance VN staff and also for those who are VN team leaders, please read this. Inform yourselves. Thank you.

Status: More or less busy with IRL work and finishing a game in time for Halloween Jam in itch.io

Brainstorming for the following:
My Seven Deadly Friends | the rest of the ideas

Mikiil Spades

#45 Post by Mikiil Spades »

The excitement for this game is so real. The more realistic approach to the idol industry is super refreshing. Do you have a rough idea of how much you expect to put the game up for? I don't have a lot of money, but if I can I'd like to save up for it!