Friend Me [College/Mystery/Psychological/Realism?]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
doktorcrimson
Regular
Completed: Prince Caterpillar [NaNo16]
Projects: Friend Me
Tumblr: doktorcrimson
Deviantart: dr-crimson

Friend Me [College/Mystery/Psychological/Realism?]

#1 Post by doktorcrimson »

Updated 5/10/2016 at 4pm
About the Game
The creators of Prince Caterpillar again presents you...
Genre: College, Mystery, Psychological, Realism? Slice of life, Not your usual female protagonist, BxB elements
Our Team: Doktor Crimson (me), Drangonaqua
Introduction
Hey! Doktor Crimson here~ After discussing with Dragonaqua we've decided to start a WIP post so here goes! The story takes place in the same universe as Prince Caterpillar so technically speaking it's sort of a "prequel." But this is not about dorky Ivan nor Kiko or Mr. Caterpillar *PRINCE CATERPILLAR SPOILER*
/Julian.
If you played Prince Caterpillar you probably saw the preview in the extras section. If not, that's fine. Friend Me is a totally different story. All you know from Prince Caterpillar is that the main protagonist in Friend Me, Maxine, went through some really bad shit last semester. And whatever happened to Maxine will be explained in Friend Me.
So in terms of the timeline, Friend Me takes place during University of Storm Hill's fall semester while Prince Caterpillar happens during the spring semester. Maxine is a freshman.
Story
(To be edited) Maxine just started her college life at University of Storm Hill as a computer science student. She doesn’t know what to expect, but at least it’s a good thing that her two best friends from high school, Sylvia and Vincent, will be with her.
During the first few weeks, she also meets Alan, a nice and smart young man, Akira, the mysterious and creepy stalker, and Steven, the charming and cool guy. Maxine slowly starts to learn more about them and perhaps along the way, she might find there’s more to college than just friends and schoolwork.
Oh, did I forget to mention? Maxine likes.....ehhh, certain things? It's not very important though. Only a few people around her know that anyway...but, did she really deserve all the things that happened to her after starting college? Is this really a coincidence?
Current Progress
Story: ~20%?
We released a nonpublic 2-hour demo last year and we decided to scratch a big chunk of the story and rewrite it =3= But we will keep the majority of the initial story progression. The endings and certain character settings have changed a lot though and I still need to discuss with Dragonaqua about certain routes.
Sprites: ~80%
The majority of the main characters are done. Some characters are debatable since we scratched a big chunk of the story... also they look uglier than Prince Caterpillar sprites since Friend Me was technically made earlier =3= Sorry about that because this will be released after Prince Caterpillar
CGs: ~50%?
Kept the CGs from our nonpublic demo (5 total thus far) and there probably will be 10 CGs total? Unless you count the title screen and save/load screen then it may be 13? And yes, there are 2 title screens
Backgrounds: ???%
Should be similar to Prince Caterpillar. We generate the backgrounds as we need them lol
GUI: 100%
Coding: ~25%
Progressing as the story progresses. There are some extra stuff than just coding for the story though.
Music: Similar to Prince Caterpillar. All under cc license
Gameplay
Length: 4hrs +
Endings: 1 "happy" end, 1 true end, 2 normal ends, 2 bad ends? multiple dead ends (TBD)
WARNING: Game includes language profanity and descriptions of violence, character death and
rape
Optional Questions
I don't have any questions to ask really but any feedback or thoughts are appreciated.
Last edited by doktorcrimson on Tue May 10, 2016 4:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.

doktorcrimson
Regular

Re: Friend Me [College/Mystery/Psychological]

#2 Post by doktorcrimson »

Updated 5/16/2016 at 11:45pm
Characters

Previews
I'm not too fond of putting out previews since it kinda spoilers stuff but here are some that I thought were okay.
Image used in Prince Caterpillar's extras.

Save/load screen.
Concept Art
Max and Nicole.

Akira's work space.

Height chart perhaps?
Other Images
Here's our updated plot diagram XD~
Last edited by doktorcrimson on Mon May 16, 2016 3:18 am, edited 4 times in total.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Friend Me [College/Mystery/Psychological/Realism?]

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

doktorcrimson wrote: Oh, did I forget to mention? Maxine likes.....ehhh, certain things? It's not very important though. Only a few people around her know that anyway...
Including a Boys Love enthusiast main character seems interesting. She presumably has favorite fictional characters and pairings, and has probably been active in at least one fandom. Since Maxine has an established personality, that should help contribute to your story.

It sounds like she has known Vincent for a while, and that he is a Girls Love enthusiast. Even if it's not a major part of your story, it could be interesting to see how these two characters interact and see the world.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#4 Post by Zelan »

Ahhhh I've been waiting for this! I'm excited to see where this goes. ^_^

doktorcrimson
Regular

#5 Post by doktorcrimson »

gekiganwing wrote:
doktorcrimson wrote: Oh, did I forget to mention? Maxine likes.....ehhh, certain things? It's not very important though. Only a few people around her know that anyway...
Including a Boys Love enthusiast main character seems interesting. She presumably has favorite fictional characters and pairings, and has probably been active in at least one fandom. Since Maxine has an established personality, that should help contribute to your story.

It sounds like she has known Vincent for a while, and that he is a Girls Love enthusiast. Even if it's not a major part of your story, it could be interesting to see how these two characters interact and see the world.
You'll see the fandoms she's in starting from the very first second of the game <_< (I'm serious)

The way Max interacts with Vincent is similar to how they were in Prince Caterpillar. Although I'm not quite sure how many scenes we're keeping since we're deleting a big chunk of the initial story. Vincent's role had a drastic change as well but the mode of interaction will be pretty much the same as PC.