Book of Zhu Legacy [Wuxia] [Fantasy] [Female MC] [GxG]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Lekkuen
Regular

Book of Zhu Legacy [Wuxia] [Fantasy] [Female MC] [GxG]

#1 Post by Lekkuen »

Book of Zhu: Legacy is a visual novel starring Aya, princess, martial artist, and future empress of the Zhu empire, who will find herself faced with the reality of what the future holds for her. The world depicted in-game is inspired by Wuxia films, as well as anime such as Fist of the North Star, Kenichi, and Katanagatari, and is being painstakingly brought to life by my team and I for this Visual Novel and beyond. Over the course of the game you will experience firsthand the upper class of society within the country of Zhu, glimpses of the larger world, and of course many martial arts battles.

The game will follow a central storyline focusing on Aya and how her life starts to change over the course of about a year, with differing choices available that change the details presented during the story and what aspects of the world come into focus. It will focus on her life as she begins to take more responsibility and has to deal with the various friends and foes inherited from the current Empress. Along with the political struggles is the fact that as heir to the family fighting style, a whole different side of trouble seeks her out just as they did her predecessor. Meeting many new friends and facing new rivals she partakes in a journey of self-discovery as she tries to find out how to balance the need to become the woman she wants to be while still honoring the ones who came before her.

In addition to the central storyline there are several side paths focusing on specific characters that are mostly determined by who you spend the most time with and whose story you progress the most during the early parts of the game, though some alternate versions of paths are triggered by hidden flags and events. Some of these will be romantic in focus, but others will allow you to see different sides of various characters, experience different aspects of the world, as well as different fight sequences.

Demo: Here is a short demo showing the main character and what she will be like at the start of the game/her relationship with her mother and her bodyguard. Download

Aya: The protagonist, heiress to both the Imperial Throne and her family's martial arts style. She is a girl eager to prove herself as both a future leader and a fighter to her mother, the Empress.

Rin: Aya's cousin and a fellow princess. She is renowned for both her beauty and talent in the magical arts. She doesn't take her position seriously and prefers to indulge in pleasure instead of studying or training.

Rani: Aya's loyal bodyguard and best friend. Despite living in the palace she has a reputation as a thug and spends a lot of her free time dealing with low-lifes and delinquents.

Dokura : Rani’s mother, loyal retainer for the Imperial family, and one of the Empire's most respected warriors. She is seen by Aya as an aunt of sorts, someone always looking out for her that she can turn to.

The Empress: Aya's mother and the absolute ruler of their people. She is loved as a living representation of Zhu tradition and feared for the swift and harsh retribution that tradition demands. For better or worse every action she makes is part of a legacy she will leave behind for Aya someday.

There are many more characters than just those, so expect more in a later update.

I'm posting this here to let people know it exists mostly, but also to hear any thoughts or questions people have about the game. There is a kickstarter up with some more info and such.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/10 ... zhu-legacy
Last edited by Lekkuen on Fri May 13, 2016 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Book of Zhu Legacy [Wuxia] [Fantasy] [Female MC]

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

Is there a specific wuxia story or movie that you like? Or one that you found influential?
Lekkuen wrote: In addition to the central storyline there are several side paths focusing on specific characters that are mostly determined by who you spend the most time with and whose story you progress the most during the early parts of the game, though some alternate versions of paths are triggered by hidden flags and events. Some of these will be romantic in focus, but others will allow you to see different sides of various characters, experience different aspects of the world, as well as different fight sequences.
I believe that you will benefit by providing more details about your plot, gameplay, and content on your Kickstarter. In my opinion, people will want to know things such as...

Plot: What are the characters trying to achieve, and what's keeping them from reaching their goals? Besides being a story about martial arts, what sort of story is this? Would you describe it as a story about revenge, or redemption, or some other theme? Finally, is there a focus on relationships, or is that just a small aspect, and the story is mostly about a general plot?

Gameplay: Is this a story with occasional choices? Or will there be some form of complex gameplay?

Content: If your visual novel were rated by the MPAA or the ESRB, what rating do you think they would give it?
Lekkuen wrote: I'm posting this here to let people know it exists mostly, but also to hear any thoughts or questions people have about the game. There is a kickstarter up with some more info and such.
Make sure to look at both failed and successful Kickstarter projects. That can include visual novels, video games, and other forms of stories with illustrations. Look at what details they included. Then think about what you will benefit by emphasizing or including.

Lekkuen
Regular

#3 Post by Lekkuen »

gekiganwing wrote:
I believe that you will benefit by providing more details about your plot, gameplay, and content on your Kickstarter. In my opinion, people will want to know things such as...

Plot: What are the characters trying to achieve, and what's keeping them from reaching their goals? Besides being a story about martial arts, what sort of story is this? Would you describe it as a story about revenge, or redemption, or some other theme? Finally, is there a focus on relationships, or is that just a small aspect, and the story is mostly about a general plot?

Gameplay: Is this a story with occasional choices? Or will there be some form of complex gameplay?

Content: If your visual novel were rated by the MPAA or the ESRB, what rating do you think they would give it?
The kickstarter has a video that talks a bit more about it, but the story as the description mentions about Aya dealing with the legacy of her mother and the responsibility of her future. So it's more about that theme than anything else, and family in general. With the specific character paths being different plots that go with that same theme. But yeah I think I'll do an update with with more details later.

Gameplay is just a story with choices, no complex game mechanics.

Content: I'd say M most likely.

As for Wuxia, it's mostly just the genre as a whole that is an inspiration I've absorbed a lot of it while younger and many old stories in some books I used to have.

Lekkuen
Regular

#4 Post by Lekkuen »

Updated the story info some.

As well as posted an update about one of the rewards on the kickstart page itself. Explaining what the Setting Bible is.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#5 Post by papillon »

You seem to have a lot of female characters. Will the romances including any GxG pairings?

Lekkuen
Regular

#6 Post by Lekkuen »

papillon wrote:You seem to have a lot of female characters. Will the romances including any GxG pairings?
Yes, the majority of options are going to be GxG. Waited on a member of the staff to finish something before adding more details on that to the kickstarter page proper. But Aya will be able to romance other girls if you choose to have her go down a path of romance.

Lekkuen
Regular

#7 Post by Lekkuen »

Some images against the backgrounds.

wererat42
Regular

Re: Book of Zhu Legacy [Wuxia] [Fantasy] [Female MC] [GxG]

#9 Post by wererat42 »

I noticed you put a (GxG) tag on the title. Have you decided to make it exclusively yuri? Can you tell us which of the revealed characters are going to be LIs?
Also, Dokura is Rani's mother? Looks to me like they're not even the same species (Rani looks like a Red Oni, assuming such a thing exists in this setting).

Lekkuen
Regular

#10 Post by Lekkuen »

wererat42 wrote:I noticed you put a (GxG) tag on the title. Have you decided to make it exclusively yuri? Can you tell us which of the revealed characters are going to be LIs?
Also, Dokura is Rani's mother? Looks to me like they're not even the same species (Rani looks like a Red Oni, assuming such a thing exists in this setting).
It is not exclusively yuri but decided that tag because those themes are much more a part of the story than BxG are. Even if player romance was taken out that stuff is much more part of the atmosphere and lore. As of who are LIs of those shown, Rani (who is also essentially the secondary protagonist), Rin (there are variants of rin's path, a playful/lighthearted romance is one of them) and Xiao.

They are different races of their species, but there are reasons why it can come out that way. The setting book will go more into that than the game will.

wererat42
Regular

#11 Post by wererat42 »

Lekkuen wrote: As of who are LIs of those shown, Rani (who is also essentially the secondary protagonist), Rin (there are variants of rin's path, a playful/lighthearted romance is one of them) and Xiao.
Ah, so the three-eyed girl isn't one? Shame, I think she's rather cute.

Lekkuen
Regular

#12 Post by Lekkuen »

wererat42 wrote:
Lekkuen wrote: As of who are LIs of those shown, Rani (who is also essentially the secondary protagonist), Rin (there are variants of rin's path, a playful/lighthearted romance is one of them) and Xiao.
She is. I thought you meant those who have been introduced in the kickstarter. Eraeli (the three eyed one) is indeed a romance option.

wererat42
Regular

#13 Post by wererat42 »

Lekkuen wrote:
wererat42 wrote:
She is. I thought you meant those who have been introduced in the kickstarter. Eraeli (the three eyed one) is indeed a romance option.
Nice. I haven't really looked at the Kickstarter page.
Don't know if I'll be able to support it though.
I've already put $450 down on another project.
But if nothing urgent comes up, I might send some funds your way.

Lekkuen
Regular

#14 Post by Lekkuen »

wererat42 wrote: Nice. I haven't really looked at the Kickstarter page.
Don't know if I'll be able to support it though.
I've already put $450 down on another project.
But if nothing urgent comes up, I might send some funds your way.
Sharing it is just as helpful

Lekkuen
Regular

#15 Post by Lekkuen »

To clarify some, there are two straight romance options in the game but Aya canonwise has a female preference. And many major characters are gay and lots of actions and plot points involve such things and how society works with it.