A Foretold Affair [Steampunk-Fantasy][?xG/B/X]COMPLETE

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo.
Message
Author
User avatar
Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1378
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:37 pm
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch
Contact:

A Foretold Affair [Steampunk-Fantasy][?xG/B/X]COMPLETE

#1 Post by Googaboga » Wed May 18, 2016 12:17 am

Our touching and inclusive steampunk-fantasy Visual Novel "A Foretold Affair" is available now on Windows, Mac, and Linux for only 12.99$!
There's a demo you can try there too~
✧✧✧✧✧
Hey, thanks for checking this thread out! A Foretold Affair is a commercial VN project being developed by GB Patch Games. It’s planned to release 4th Quarter 2016. Our hope with AFA is to create a journey that’s enjoyable to a wide variety of people.

We’re going to have a Kickstarter for the game in August 2016 with a goal of $1,500 in order to make it easier to release the game by this year.

We love getting feedback so do feel free to share your thoughts!

Image
ImageApproximately 10-15+ hours of playtime overall
Image3 pursueable characters (one male, one female, one agender)
ImagePronouns for the MC are chosen by player (he, she, or them)
ImageNo game overs or incorrect choices, every option is worth selecting
ImageLite animation effects
Image
The world of AFA includes steampunk technology and magic. The planet’s surface consists almost entirely of barren deserts and jagged mountains. Because of this the majority of the population lives on giant floating land fractions covered in plant life and with abundant water. The land fractions and the land beneath are divided into fifteen regions. A Foretold Affair takes place in one of the smaller regions called Vespen.

Other than by region, there is one more major way people are divided; whether someone is Normal or Abnormal. Each region has a ‘Normal’ and an ‘Abnormal’ society. The two groups keep themselves as separate as possible. Most Normals are not even allowed to know where Abnormal towns are located. The reason for this is because Abnormals have abilities that Normals do not.

Healing wounds, reading minds, and seeing the future are just a few possible abilities an Abnormal could have, though each Abnormal person only has one ability. In order to guarantee that no one has an unfair advantage and so Abnormal people aren’t used as tools, keeping the groups divided is mutually agreed upon by the leaders of both societies.
Image
Buffalo Seer is an eccentric Abnormal with the ability to see the future. They’ve been living their life within an Abnormal Society, called the Walled Sanctuary, since they were a baby. While they generally can’t complain about their comfortable existence, Seer has one major issue in life: not being able to use their ability. Even within Abnormal societies future seeing is forbidden.

Despite endless warnings of the misfortune future seeing can cause, Seer could not be swayed and after many years of petitioning they finally gained permission to take a relatively brief look into their own future, with a few stipulations. The story begins as Seer sees some years ahead and gets a rather unexpected vision. Not only are they no longer within the Sanctuary, they're married to someone they've never met.

After choosing to leave their home behind, Seer lies their way into a mission with a small bunch of Normals in order to be with the Normal they are destined to wed. Seer assumed everything would be alright after they found who they were searching for, but is quickly proven wrong. The journey is one disaster after another and trying to develop a long-lasting relationship turns out to be no simple task.

After only a few days the happy future Seer saw begins to feel farther and farther away.
Image
Image
Image
[The player chooses their Normal society name along with their pronouns]
Buffalo Seer is a driven, goal oriented individual. For most of their life their goal was to use their ability at least once. After that was achieved there was no plan, Seer simply expected to be satisfied with life. However, upon seeing what the future holds Seer immediately created a new goal, finding their future spouse. But then after finding them Seer decided they’d have to get married before they could be fully content. Once that inevitably occurs, who knows?

Within the group Seer is generally considered a liability, but not for lack of ability. Because Seer dresses in such an attention drawing way and sides with their future spouse in nearly every situation regardless of whether it is a good idea or not, Seer doesn’t often make the trip easier.

Seer has an odd habit of phrasing things in unnecessarily suspicious ways, that coupled with the way they dress causes them to come across as creepy within Normal society. Seer doesn’t seem to mind.
Image
Image
[Pronounced ‘KAY’]

Kea is a police officer who recently transferred to the capital of Vespen in order to work undercover. The job requires an officer to infiltrate a street gang that mainly recruits young teens off the street, hence the outfit they’ve got on. Kea was requested specifically due to their youthful stature and fitting personality, since in informal situations Kea is chatty, fast-talking, and can easily come across as rude or uncultured. While on the job Kea speaks and behaves (somewhat) more seriously.

They are the reluctant leader of the ill-fated adventure. The responsibility of managing others is brand new to Kea and they tend to come across as more of a worrywart and sort of a nag than a boss.

Despite technically being in charge, they are the black sheep of the group. While everyone else is perfectly comfortable bending or even out right breaking the law Kea is, naturally, not so keen on that. But, no matter how often Kea intentionally or accidentally isolates themselves from the others and how much they cause disagreements, they don’t actually want it to be that way. They’d like to get along with the team and have a positive impact on situations, it just seems impossible because of their position.

Kea’s skin tone is rather unusual. Skin colors are meant to be brown or tan with varying amounts grayness mixed in. Kea’s distinctly gray coloring only occurs from a certain type of skin pigment disorder. However, it’s not a terribly rare disorder and there are no negative health effects from having it so Kea doesn’t mind.
Image
Image
Mapmaker and item collector extraordinaire Piper wouldn’t normally have a reason to be in the capital, however this is an unusual time for her. She is currently on hiatus. She chose to take a break because constant work had worn her down. Before she felt duty call and joined the adventure she had been spending her days wearing nice clothing and drinking tea while discussing good books with pleasant ladies. However, Piper has no intention of wasting time sulking over the loss of the last part of her time off from ruin trekking. In fact, she doesn’t seem to ever spend time being in a poor mood.

Piper could be considered second in command of the tiny team, or the true leader if Kea isn’t listening. Her decisions are often more appealing to the group than Kea’s and even when they aren’t she presents them firmly with solid logic making it hard to refuse.

Piper treats others in a friendly and casual manner but is nothing near an open book. She’s deeply enigmatic. Her courteous nature stems entirely from social obligations rather than genuine interest and that fact becomes rather obvious if you try speaking with her for any extended period of time.

Besides the moon and compass tattoos, she also has a sun and several star tattoos that are covered by her outfit. Speaking of, the outfit she wears now is not a great choice for a trip like this. However there are very strict guidelines when it comes to what is appropriate for certain genders to wear. Finding female classified pants on short notice is all but impossible and she hadn’t brought any of her own to this city because a dangerous mission was the last thing she expected to be doing.
Image
Image
January is a man of massive importance and wealth in the region of Vespen, though only due to inheriting it. He has been the Duke of a significant family ever since his mother passed away a few years prior. That title is no longer bestowed and every other house in Vespen that had the title at one point has had the lineage die out. With an heirless only child as a Duke, January’s family is currently one step away from joining those other houses in being stripped of their clout. The weight of being the last true noble in the region has not been lost on January.

January lives on the surface and has only recently started making appearances on the land fractions. He is noticeably awkward in casual settings as he generally only has experience dealing with people in a business sense.

The entire point of the trip is escorting January to a safe house, so in that sense he is an important member of the team. But only in that sense. January isn’t allowed to do anything, much to his frustration. Because of his sheltered upbringing January has spent his entire life having people assume he’s useless or an easy target. It is unclear if the group thinks the same way or if they are simply overprotective.

Upon first meeting January he comes across as rather skittish. After Seer shows him his future he resolves to change the way he lives his life. From then on he begins to act more indignant and reckless. He is going to be a contributing member of the team, whether the rest of the group wants him to or not.
Image
*Not Pursueable*
Image
Trinette is the leader of a bounty hunting gang. The group is famous for its efficiency and willingness to work outside what is legal. However, lawlessness is the last thing you’ll find within the group itself. It is highly organized and functions essentially the way a normal business does. Every employee has a set wage, time off, health coverage, etc.

The reason this criminal gang functions this way is because Trinette’s background is mainly in finances. After working for many reputable companies she decided to start a company of her own. She chose a bounty hunting gang simply because it was a position that needed to be filled in the area.

If you can look past all her wrongdoing and not take what she does in her job personally, Trinette is a rather amiable woman.
Image
*Not Pursueable*
Image
The goons are just two of Trinette’s employees. Their actual names never come up. After all, they’re not paid to speak, so they rarely do. Despite their lack of words a touch of personality seems to come through from their facial expressions. The blue-haired one looks to get some pleasure out of their work, while the green-haired one seems generally joyless.

Trinette has everyone, excluding herself, in her gang wear a uniform and look as similar as possible to make it difficult for a specific crime to be pinned on a specific member of the group. These two are almost always at the frontline due to their especially similar appearances.

Fun fact that’s irrelevant to the game; these two are married.
Image
[Click for full size]
ImageImage
ImageImage
Image
ImageWhich character(s) did you select as the future spouse?

ImageWhich, if any, of the characters do you like so far?

ImageWhat are you expecting from the full game?

ImageWhat's your general opinion on the demo?

ImageAny other questions, comments, concerns?

Thanks for reading ^3^~
Last edited by Googaboga on Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 29 times in total.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

User avatar
Renmiou
Regular
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:33 am
Completed: The End of an Actress (sprite art), Blackberry Honey (contributing CG artist), Rising Angels: Hope, Black Closet, Tuesday, Chronicle Of Mars, Tristan & Iseult, Heiress II
Projects: MorningStar: Grand Tour, Dear & Mine, Unreleased potions shop game, unreleased space RPG game
Deviantart: Renmiou
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: A Foretold Affair [Steampunk-Fantasy Adventure][?xG/B/X]

#2 Post by Renmiou » Wed May 18, 2016 10:37 am

Very nice shading on the characters, I really like Buffalo Seer's rendering in particular. The one concern I'd have with her colour palette though, is that her bloomers stand out in a bit of a weird way, almost as if they were supposed to be underwear. I think that's probably due to the colour (pink) which isn't really present anywhere else in her design (unless you count the eyes, which are a slightly different hue).
Perhaps you could either add accents of the same pink elsewhere, or shift the hue on the bloomers to see if they fit better?

User avatar
Green Glasses Girl
Veteran
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:16 pm
Projects: Cavaliers & Carnivals
Tumblr: green-glasses
Contact:

Re: A Foretold Affair [Steampunk-Fantasy Adventure][?xG/B/X]

#3 Post by Green Glasses Girl » Wed May 18, 2016 12:24 pm

This looks great! Who is the sprite artist, if I may ask? Do they have a website/tumblr/twitter?
Image

Honest Critique
Avatar art by akemicchi.

User avatar
Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1378
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:37 pm
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch
Contact:

Re: A Foretold Affair [Steampunk-Fantasy Adventure][?xG/B/X]

#4 Post by Googaboga » Wed May 18, 2016 12:40 pm

Renmiou wrote:Very nice shading on the characters, I really like Buffalo Seer's rendering in particular. The one concern I'd have with her colour palette though, is that her bloomers stand out in a bit of a weird way, almost as if they were supposed to be underwear. I think that's probably due to the colour (pink) which isn't really present anywhere else in her design (unless you count the eyes, which are a slightly different hue).
Perhaps you could either add accents of the same pink elsewhere, or shift the hue on the bloomers to see if they fit better?
Thanks for taking such an interest in the designs ^v^. It's difficult to see in the pictures here, but she has pink nails. So it's a touch of dark pink with the eyes, a touch of light pink with the nail polish, and then the big slash of pinks with the pants :>.

Oh, and, her name is Trinette. The names are listed under the character image rather than above. Buffalo Seer is the character in the purple cloak and mask. Sorry for the confusion :'D.
Green Glasses Girl wrote:This looks great! Who is the sprite artist, if I may ask? Do they have a website/tumblr/twitter?
Ah, thank you very much. The sprite artist is konett! She's really lovely to work with :].
memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=21337

She's got a link to her tumblr on her profile;
http://cosmickonett.tumblr.com/
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

User avatar
Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Posts: 2147
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:23 pm
Completed: The Dark
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Contact:

Re: A Foretold Affair [Steampunk-Fantasy Adventure][?xG/B/X]

#5 Post by Zelan » Wed May 18, 2016 5:46 pm

What do you think of the concept? Is the explanation for everything too long?: Not too long! ^_^ The concept is pretty interesting because actually provides a reason behind the "pursue one single character and agree with them all the time" that usually comes up in romance VNs. Since it *seems* like Buffalo Seer doesn't have an awful lot of experience with love, it would make sense that they might do that to try and win over their future spouse.

Which table would you select?: Probably the middle one. Looks pretty nice. owo

Which, if any, of the characters revealed do you like so far? Trinette is pretty badass. [strike](Please please make a business management sim spin-off where we take control of Trin and manage a bounty hunting gang because I would love that)[/strike]

Any other questions, comments, concerns? Are you planning to release the love interests any time soon? It's a bit strange to be pitched a VN where the main focus is romance and have no idea who we're trying to romance.

User avatar
Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1378
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:37 pm
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch
Contact:

Re: A Foretold Affair [Steampunk-Fantasy Adventure][?xG/B/X]

#6 Post by Googaboga » Thu May 19, 2016 3:04 am

Zelan wrote:Not too long! ^_^ The concept is pretty interesting because actually provides a reason behind the "pursue one single character and agree with them all the time" that usually comes up in romance VNs. Since it *seems* like Buffalo Seer doesn't have an awful lot of experience with love, it would make sense that they might do that to try and win over their future spouse.
Haha, yes, this is meant to be a little bit of a joke on the fact that often times players go into a romance game knowing right away who they are going to have the MC end up with and are ready to do whatever they have to in order to make that happen. Now the MC themselves has that perspective.

Seer definitely doesn't have any experience. Whenever an Abnormal baby is born in a Normal society it has to be sent to the Abnormal society. Because Abnormals have to raise so many adoptive children it was decided long ago that they wouldn't have children of their own. Ultimately their entire society became built around being an individual and not having especially close relations with anyone.
Zelan wrote:Which table would you select?: Probably the middle one. Looks pretty nice. owo
Cool. Thanks :D.
Zelan wrote:Which, if any, of the characters revealed do you like so far? Trinette is pretty badass. [strike](Please please make a business management sim spin-off where we take control of Trin and manage a bounty hunting gang because I would love that)[/strike]
I'm glad you think so. This is the first time I've made a game with any kind of antagonist, so I'm happy to hear she seems pretty impressive so far.

Aha, I never thought of a game like that, but yeah, it sounds like it'd be pretty fun. Maybe someday :].
Zelan wrote:Any other questions, comments, concerns? Are you planning to release the love interests any time soon? It's a bit strange to be pitched a VN where the main focus is romance and have no idea who we're trying to romance.
The LIs will be revealed soon, but their sprites simply aren't ready. They have more complicated alternate poses than the characters shown right now. And I think it's alright to give people time to focus on the concept itself, especially since there are the tables signifying each LI. It's kind of fun to pick a table and see afterwords what type of person is associated with it rather than knowing right away who they are. But I suppose it's just personal preference whether someone cares for this type of process or not.

The first LI (the one associated with the dark brown table) will be shown off either at the end of this week or the start of next week, if nothing serious comes up with the sprite artist C:.

Thanks for answering the questions!
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

User avatar
Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1378
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:37 pm
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch
Contact:

Re: A Foretold Affair [Steampunk-Fantasy Adventure][?xG/B/X]

#7 Post by Googaboga » Fri May 20, 2016 11:19 am

I updated the first post with more details about the tables associated with the three love interest options~
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

User avatar
noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1080
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:10 pm
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: daikiraikimi
Github: daikiraikimi
Location: Washington State, USA
Contact:

Re: A Foretold Affair [Steampunk-Fantasy Adventure][?xG/B/X]

#8 Post by noeinan » Fri May 20, 2016 10:55 pm

What do you think of the concept? Is the explanation for everything too long?

I actually really love the concept! Being non-binary, having the ability to choose my pronouns is a special treat and instant vote of support from me-- I also was really pleased that there is an agender love option. :D But regarding the story, it actually really entices me.

Like, most games you are presented with a bunch of love interests and you pick between them-- sometimes there's a reason you need to have a relationship at the end of the game, but it's often hamfisted. This on the other hand, presents a protagonist with a really interesting personality-- they are goal driven, are off-putting to others, and have a special talent that ostracizes them even from Abnormal society.

At the beginning of the game, you pick not who you date but what vision you have-- and then the rest of the story is like... a mystery where you figure out who it was that you're destined to end up with. This makes it seem a lot more interesting to me, personally.

Anywho, I think it's a really unique idea and I would definitely back it on Kickstarter!

As far as how long, it was a bit hard for me to get through it-- but that is probably because of the fatigue and cognition problems related to my disability. I'm just generally having a hard time reading even a paragraph right now. For non-disabled folks, I think that the length should be fine. And I didn't regret reading it at all even if it was a little difficult due to my circumstances.

Which table would you select?

Hmmm, I think the table with the knife on it is the most "interesting" but as far as which one I would be drawn too, the worn wood table seems more my type.

Which, if any, of the characters revealed do you like so far?

I like the gang leader, she seems cool. Oh, but if we're including the MC, I'd say the Buffalo Seer is actually my favorite.

Any other questions, comments, concerns?

Will there be multiple endings for each love interest? Is there a main story "plot" aside from the love interests, or does each love interest have their own kind of accompanying plot?
Image

Image
Image

User avatar
Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1378
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:37 pm
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch
Contact:

Re: A Foretold Affair [Steampunk-Fantasy Adventure][?xG/B/X]

#9 Post by Googaboga » Sat May 21, 2016 9:19 am

daikiraikimi wrote:I actually really love the concept! Being non-binary, having the ability to choose my pronouns is a special treat and instant vote of support from me-- I also was really pleased that there is an agender love option. :D But regarding the story, it actually really entices me.


Oh yay :3. I'm trying to do what I can to make people feel included.
daikiraikimi wrote:Like, most games you are presented with a bunch of love interests and you pick between them-- sometimes there's a reason you need to have a relationship at the end of the game, but it's often hamfisted. This on the other hand, presents a protagonist with a really interesting personality-- they are goal driven, are off-putting to others, and have a special talent that ostracizes them even from Abnormal society.

At the beginning of the game, you pick not who you date but what vision you have-- and then the rest of the story is like... a mystery where you figure out who it was that you're destined to end up with. This makes it seem a lot more interesting to me, personally.

Anywho, I think it's a really unique idea and I would definitely back it on Kickstarter!
Hehe, thank you very much :>. Though there is a little bit of confusion, I'm sorry about that. Seer ends up finding their FS near the beginning of the story, the main relationship system of the game deals with the unusual situation of two complete strangers who know that ultimately they are going to fall in love someday and how they deal with that fact and the other person in the present. Each of the FSs have very different ways of handling the news X].
daikiraikimi wrote:As far as how long, it was a bit hard for me to get through it-- but that is probably because of the fatigue and cognition problems related to my disability. I'm just generally having a hard time reading even a paragraph right now. For non-disabled folks, I think that the length should be fine. And I didn't regret reading it at all even if it was a little difficult due to my circumstances.


Ah, I'm sorry about the trouble. Thanks for letting me know c:.
daikiraikimi wrote:Hmmm, I think the table with the knife on it is the most "interesting" but as far as which one I would be drawn too, the worn wood table seems more my type.


Cool. I always have fun hearing which tables appeal to people.
daikiraikimi wrote:I like the gang leader, she seems cool. Oh, but if we're including the MC, I'd say the Buffalo Seer is actually my favorite.


Haha, great. Seer certainly counts as an option ^^. I'm glad you like them.
daikiraikimi wrote:Will there be multiple endings for each love interest? Is there a main story "plot" aside from the love interests, or does each love interest have their own kind of accompanying plot?


Good question. I was worried about not including that type of info in the post, but it already seemed so long :'D. The game has one single story; basically a journey from point A to point B. All the major plot points are the same regardless of who the future spouse is. However, there are a bunch of variations to conversations and entire scenes based on who the FS is and the choices made throughout the game :]. Like, for example, the prologue scenes are completely different based on who you picked as your FS but they all lead to the same place eventually.

The ending works the same way; the major occurrences are the same, some things are altered based on your FS, and certain scenes are entirely different and based on choices. The final one-on-one scene with the FS has three totally different versions, so that's what I'd pick as a solid LI ending number if someone wanted one. Three ending scenes per FS.

Thanks for answering the questions C:.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

User avatar
Noire
Regular
Posts: 100
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:06 am
Projects: Mirage Noir
Contact:

Re: A Foretold Affair [Steampunk-Fantasy Adventure][?xG/B/X]

#10 Post by Noire » Sun May 22, 2016 10:58 am

Wooo! Steampunk themed story! Awesome!
Art is also looking pretty good :)

User avatar
noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1080
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:10 pm
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: daikiraikimi
Github: daikiraikimi
Location: Washington State, USA
Contact:

Re: A Foretold Affair [Steampunk-Fantasy Adventure][?xG/B/X]

#11 Post by noeinan » Sun May 22, 2016 2:28 pm

Googaboga wrote: Hehe, thank you very much :>. Though there is a little bit of confusion, I'm sorry about that. Seer ends up finding their FS near the beginning of the story, the main relationship system of the game deals with the unusual situation of two complete strangers who know that ultimately they are going to fall in love someday and how they deal with that fact and the other person in the present. Each of the FSs have very different ways of handling the news X].


Oooooh, that makes sense and sounds pretty cool too! Haha, I can see some pretty awkward conversations being triggered by that. It would be super weird to go up to a stranger and say "btw, you're my soul mate and we'll be married in X years."

Makes me wonder if the Seer has any credible way of proving their ability, or if everyone just thinks they're lying or having delusions. Is it strange for Abnormals to visit Normal culture? I know you mentioned that Normals can't know where the Abnormal villages are, but that seemed to not go both ways.
Googaboga wrote: Good question. I was worried about not including that type of info in the post, but it already seemed so long :'D. The game has one single story; basically a journey from point A to point B. All the major plot points are the same regardless of who the future spouse is. However, there are a bunch of variations to conversations and entire scenes based on who the FS is and the choices made throughout the game :]. Like, for example, the prologue scenes are completely different based on who you picked as your FS but they all lead to the same place eventually.

The ending works the same way; the major occurrences are the same, some things are altered based on your FS, and certain scenes are entirely different and based on choices. The final one-on-one scene with the FS has three totally different versions, so that's what I'd pick as a solid LI ending number if someone wanted one. Three ending scenes per FS.

Thanks for answering the questions C:.
/nod /nod

Hmmm, maybe you could include it under "features" instead of the main game description? Something like... "unique prologue for each love interest" or "plot continuity between love interests" or "unified plotline with hidden/unlockable scenes for replayability"?

And it was no problem at all! I'm super looking forward to progress on this game :D
Image

Image
Image

User avatar
Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1378
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:37 pm
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch
Contact:

Re: A Foretold Affair [Steampunk-Fantasy Adventure][?xG/B/X]

#12 Post by Googaboga » Sun May 22, 2016 9:29 pm

Noire wrote:Wooo! Steampunk themed story! Awesome!
Art is also looking pretty good :)
Thank you :mrgreen:.
daikiraikimi wrote:Oooooh, that makes sense and sounds pretty cool too! Haha, I can see some pretty awkward conversations being triggered by that. It would be super weird to go up to a stranger and say "btw, you're my soul mate and we'll be married in X years."


Yeah, Seer makes a memorable first impression on most people, aha X3.
daikiraikimi wrote:Makes me wonder if the Seer has any credible way of proving their ability, or if everyone just thinks they're lying or having delusions. Is it strange for Abnormals to visit Normal culture? I know you mentioned that Normals can't know where the Abnormal villages are, but that seemed to not go both ways.


It's illegal for an Abnormal person to be in a Normal town/city. Anyone who claims to be Abnormal or has someone else accuse them of being Abnormal will be held in custody until a blood test is done. If the results of the blood test say they are Abnormal the person will be sent to the nearest Abnormal village. What happens to them from there is handled by their own people. So, someone going around claiming to be Abnormal is very unusual. Luckily for Seer, they start their search at a pretty convenient time~

Most people would think Seer is crazy or a liar, but this group does believe Seer is genuinely Abnormal. There are two reasons for that. Since the characters haven't been shown off yet the reasons are a little spoiler-y.
The reason that generally convinces two of FSs is Seer's outfit. Abnormals have a very specific way of dressing that most Normals don't understand the meaning behind. For example, if the cloak you wear is colored dark purple that means you are a Seer. If you wore a cloak of a different color or even a slightly different shade of purple and claimed to be a Seer anyone informed of Abnormal dressing customs would know you were a fraud. Two of the FSs coincidentally are informed of Abnormal appearances because of their jobs, so they can tell Seer at least knows a lot about Abnormals. That coupled with Seer being insistent that they are Abnormal even though that will only get them in trouble convinces them Seer is telling the truth.
The other FS is convinced Seer is actually Abnormal because Seer shows that FS their future.
How quickly each individual believes Seer and whether or not they believe Seer's specific vision of the future depends on which FS you selected.
daikiraikimi wrote:Hmmm, maybe you could include it under "features" instead of the main game description? Something like... "unique prologue for each love interest" or "plot continuity between love interests" or "unified plotline with hidden/unlockable scenes for replayability"?
That could work :3. I'm not very good at keeping descriptions concise so I didn't think of that haha.
daikiraikimi wrote:And it was no problem at all! I'm super looking forward to progress on this game :D
Thank you ^^.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

User avatar
noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1080
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:10 pm
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: daikiraikimi
Github: daikiraikimi
Location: Washington State, USA
Contact:

Re: A Foretold Affair [Steampunk-Fantasy Adventure][?xG/B/X]

#13 Post by noeinan » Wed May 25, 2016 3:21 am

Googaboga wrote:
It's illegal for an Abnormal person to be in a Normal town/city. Anyone who claims to be Abnormal or has someone else accuse them of being Abnormal will be held in custody until a blood test is done. If the results of the blood test say they are Abnormal the person will be sent to the nearest Abnormal village. What happens to them from there is handled by their own people. So, someone going around claiming to be Abnormal is very unusual. Luckily for Seer, they start their search at a pretty convenient time~

Most people would think Seer is crazy or a liar, but this group does believe Seer is genuinely Abnormal. There are two reasons for that. Since the characters haven't been shown off yet the reasons are a little spoiler-y.
The reason that generally convinces two of FSs is Seer's outfit. Abnormals have a very specific way of dressing that most Normals don't understand the meaning behind. For example, if the cloak you wear is colored dark purple that means you are a Seer. If you wore a cloak of a different color or even a slightly different shade of purple and claimed to be a Seer anyone informed of Abnormal dressing customs would know you were a fraud. Two of the FSs coincidentally are informed of Abnormal appearances because of their jobs, so they can tell Seer at least knows a lot about Abnormals. That coupled with Seer being insistent that they are Abnormal even though that will only get them in trouble convinces them Seer is telling the truth.
The other FS is convinced Seer is actually Abnormal because Seer shows that FS their future.
How quickly each individual believes Seer and whether or not they believe Seer's specific vision of the future depends on which FS you selected.
Aaah, that makes a lot of sense and gives me some insight into their culture-- thank you!
Image

Image
Image

User avatar
Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Posts: 1378
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:37 pm
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch
Contact:

Re: A Foretold Affair [Steampunk-Fantasy Adventure][?xG/B/X]

#14 Post by Googaboga » Wed May 25, 2016 1:24 pm

daikiraikimi wrote:Aaah, that makes a lot of sense and gives me some insight into their culture-- thank you!
No problem, I'm glad it helped :D.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

goldenteaset
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun May 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Contact:

Re: A Foretold Affair [Steampunk-Fantasy Adventure][?xG/B/X]

#15 Post by goldenteaset » Thu May 26, 2016 6:36 pm

What do you think of the concept? Is the explanation for everything too long?
I think the concept/worldbuilding looks really fun! I don't think the explanation's too long at all--personally it's just the right size. There's enough to hook people in without outright spoiling things. :)

Which table would you select?
...This is surprisingly tough, haha! Currently I'm torn between "A Peaceful Break" and "An Accustomed Occasion": on the one hand, an open compass in the middle of untamed land--sounds like an adventurer to me! (As does "A Day Getting Started".) On the other hand, an elegant dining setup that appears abandoned--a mysterious person on the run, or somebody who runs late? They're all intriguing!

Which, if any, of the characters revealed do you like so far?
Buffalo Seer looks like fun, particularly since they come across as eccentric to others. Their mask is a good combo of endearing and creepy! Trinette also looks like a force to be reckoned with--are her gun and poses meant to reference "The Man With The Golden Gun", by the way? Either way, nice!
Do the tables count as interesting characters?

Any other questions, comments, concerns?
I love Steampunk, so I'm glad to see more VNs tackle it! It'll be interesting to see how Buffalo Seer, who seems to be both unfitting and fitting for an adventure, adapts and shows their skills. I'm also curious as to how their love interests will react to their "creepy-with-Normal-society" fashion sense/personality! :lol:

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Whimsy