A Foretold Affair [Steampunk-Fantasy][?xG/B/X]COMPLETE

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

Re: A Foretold Affair [Steampunk-Fantasy Adve][?xG/B/X]Postc

#46 Post by Googaboga »

The backgrounds for A Foretold Affair are completely finished! There are 25 locations in total as well as many background variations for different times of day.

This is a big step forward to finishing the entire game.
https://66.media.tumblr.com/51f5ca9ea93 ... 1_1280.jpg
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

bellice
Veteran

#47 Post by bellice »

I didn't realize there was a demo for this until now, but boy am I glad I tried it. I pretty much spent the entire time cackling about MC's utter cluelessnes and the whole 'btw we're destined to be together you wanna marry now or...?' thing is RIGHT up my alley.

Which character(s) did you select as the future spouse?

When I first started out, I thought I'd only really be interested in Piper and I was lucky in that my first pick fell on her. Buuut then I tried the other routes and- Kea. Kea is bae. Constantly grumpy and suspicious and the MC barely even notices it because they're too busy thinking everying Kea does is adorable. I love it. (Also love Piper, but Kea is gonna be my first pick.)

Which, if any, of the characters do you like so far?

I like all of them! January is the least interesting for me (presumably because he's a dude), but I liked him as well. It's adorable how he's just...ready to go with the whole thing. And there definitely seems to be more to him than what meets the eyes, so that'll be interesting.

What are you expecting from the full game?

What I always expect from a good story, I suppose. Angst, drama, cute moments. And the ability to make every single one of the potential spouses feel really really awkward and/or pleased at MC's insistence that they're perfect.

What's your general opinion on the demo?

It seems very polished - both the art and the writing, though there was some awkward wording here or there. (I can't think of specific examples right now, though, which means it didn't bother me all that much.)

Any other questions, comments, concerns?

Kea needs to love me asap.

EDIT: Ah, one question I do have, though: Are we ever gonna see what's beneath Seer's mask?

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran

#48 Post by Googaboga »

bellice wrote:I didn't realize there was a demo for this until now, but boy am I glad I tried it. I pretty much spent the entire time cackling about MC's utter cluelessnes and the whole 'btw we're destined to be together you wanna marry now or...?' thing is RIGHT up my alley.
Thank you very much for giving it a try! I'm really glad you found it funny.
bellice wrote:When I first started out, I thought I'd only really be interested in Piper and I was lucky in that my first pick fell on her. Buuut then I tried the other routes and- Kea. Kea is bae. Constantly grumpy and suspicious and the MC barely even notices it because they're too busy thinking everying Kea does is adorable. I love it. (Also love Piper, but Kea is gonna be my first pick.)
That's great ^^. I love including difficult characters but having it come off as charming rather than annoying is always a challenge.
bellice wrote:I like all of them! January is the least interesting for me (presumably because he's a dude), but I liked him as well. It's adorable how he's just...ready to go with the whole thing. And there definitely seems to be more to him than what meets the eyes, so that'll be interesting.
In a week or two we'll be releasing a demo with 30-45 more minutes of content. It's not that much but it definitely makes things more interesting ;).
bellice wrote:What I always expect from a good story, I suppose. Angst, drama, cute moments. And the ability to make every single one of the potential spouses feel really really awkward and/or pleased at MC's insistence that they're perfect.
Okay cool :].
bellice wrote:It seems very polished - both the art and the writing, though there was some awkward wording here or there. (I can't think of specific examples right now, though, which means it didn't bother me all that much.)
Thanks! We spent a lot of time fussing over little things, so it's nice to know the effort is appreciated. And if you ever remember a specific line that sounds off, feel free to point it out to us : D.
bellice wrote:Kea needs to love me asap.
Haha, well, all I can say is good luck. It's quite a journey to get to Kea and Seer's relationship to a strong point.
bellice wrote:EDIT: Ah, one question I do have, though: Are we ever gonna see what's beneath Seer's mask?
We decided against that. Seer has to be covered up at the start and we'd rather not disappoint people later by revealing Seer and having it not be what they envisioned. We did consider having a customization system for Seer, but it just wasn't possible this time around >>.
In-Progress:
Released:

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#49 Post by Zelan »

JANUARY.

I was RIGHT, he's such a bro. I love it so much.
I loved how willing he was to help Seer out in the other two's routes - props to him for thinking on his feet and giving Seer some much-needed assistance. And his reaction to Seer in his route was just. too. cute. I played his route last, so I was expecting a similar reaction to Seer's declaration - confusion, denial, maybe anger. At the very least nervousness. But NOPE. Adorableness ensues. <3
PIPER.

She's such a clever little thing. I love her too.
She's good at thinking on her feet too - she did very well with hiding January in all three routes. Her ways of diverting Seer's attentions in her route are both amusing and smart. "We're going to be married, so we'll have plenty of time to get to know each other later." I'm very curious - I know that Kea is confused about the ruse, but what about Piper? Does she have an idea what the deal is or is she just as suspicious as Kea is?
KEA.

KEA IS STILL MY FAVORITE IN THE END OK
I can't even. Kea reminds me in their route of a young kid worried about cooties and it's hilarious. And I love how Kea swings between acting like a child and really professional. "Whiny Kid" was an amazing stand-in name. I love the conversation between them and Seer about Seer's real identity; Seer is, admittedly, pretty clever themself (herself? I had Seer identify as female in all of my playthroughs) to keep Kea guessing.
So I gave my character a different name in each playthough - Hazel, Juniper, and Marigold (plants!!) - and I'm realizing just now that the first two lend themselves perfectly to shameless ship names.

Kea + Hazel = Keazel
Piper + Juniper = Junipiper
January + Marigold = Utter gibberish, I think I'll find a better name because I'm not too attached to Marigold. cx Suggestions, anyone? An herb or plant that mixes well with January?

Last real quick thing - a few typos and some awkward phrasing. Not many, though. c: The first two are from Kea's route, the next one is from Piper's, and the last two are from January's. Link to screenshots

please finish this now because I really want to read more about the adventures of the misadventure squad

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran

#50 Post by Googaboga »

Hehe, thanks for letting me know what you thought of each character :mrgreen:.
Zelan wrote:JANUARY.

I was RIGHT, he's such a bro. I love it so much.
I loved how willing he was to help Seer out in the other two's routes - props to him for thinking on his feet and giving Seer some much-needed assistance. And his reaction to Seer in his route was just. too. cute. I played his route last, so I was expecting a similar reaction to Seer's declaration - confusion, denial, maybe anger. At the very least nervousness. But NOPE. Adorableness ensues. <3
Yep, you really called it. January is Seer's only full ally right from the start :]. He's the most similar to Seer in terms of personality and situation so he always wants to get along with them. In the other two routes Seer isn't terribly appreciative of January's assistance, but put those two in a relationship together and it's pretty intense affection-wise :'). The goal was to have three very different reactions to the news; denial/resistance, indifference, and complete acceptance.
Zelan wrote:PIPER.

She's such a clever little thing. I love her too.
She's good at thinking on her feet too - she did very well with hiding January in all three routes. Her ways of diverting Seer's attentions in her route are both amusing and smart. "We're going to be married, so we'll have plenty of time to get to know each other later." I'm very curious - I know that Kea is confused about the ruse, but what about Piper? Does she have an idea what the deal is or is she just as suspicious as Kea is?
I'm glad you enjoyed her. She's much more low-key, so I always worry about her being overshadowed by the others. If Kea is the LI, Piper knows Seer is Abnormal for sure since she's there when January's sees his future. In the other two routes she's pretty positive Seer is truly Abnormal based on their perfectly authentic outfit and actions. But in every case she knows she's not going to be able to convince anyone with January on Seer's side, so she doesn't bother. And, honestly, she doesn't care all that much that they're technically breaking the law anyways. They seem harmless and easy enough to manipulate and that's all that matters : P.
Zelan wrote:KEA.

KEA IS STILL MY FAVORITE IN THE END OK
I can't even. Kea reminds me in their route of a young kid worried about cooties and it's hilarious. And I love how Kea swings between acting like a child and really professional. "Whiny Kid" was an amazing stand-in name. I love the conversation between them and Seer about Seer's real identity; Seer is, admittedly, pretty clever themself (herself? I had Seer identify as female in all of my playthroughs) to keep Kea guessing.
Aaw, I'm glad Kea was about to keep the title as favorite. I always have fun with Kea's reactions to things, especially things that are going wrong, which happens a lot on their trip. They may be a tough cop, but they're not afraid to get really emotional.

You can refer to Seer with any pronoun you prefer. It's meant to be decided by the player :>.
Zelan wrote:So I gave my character a different name in each playthough - Hazel, Juniper, and Marigold (plants!!) - and I'm realizing just now that the first two lend themselves perfectly to shameless ship names.

Kea + Hazel = Keazel
Piper + Juniper = Junipiper
January + Marigold = Utter gibberish, I think I'll find a better name because I'm not too attached to Marigold. cx Suggestions, anyone? An herb or plant that mixes well with January?
Cute! Oh man though, I am really bad at making shipping names. Um, how aboouut Jasmine (Jasuary/Janmine) or Tulip (Janip)?
Zelan wrote:Last real quick thing - a few typos and some awkward phrasing. Not many, though. c: The first two are from Kea's route, the next one is from Piper's, and the last two are from January's. Link to screenshots
Thank you very much for catching those. I'll fix them up a little later today ^^.
Zelan wrote:please finish this now because I really want to read more about the adventures of the misadventure squad
We'll do our best :D. And there will be another demo with around 30-45 minutes of more content coming out in a week or so if you don't want to wait for the full game to see what happens next~
In-Progress:
Released:

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#51 Post by Zelan »

Ohhh, I like Jasuary! I'm using that. cx Slightly longer demo coming up? Count me in.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran

#52 Post by Googaboga »

Aha, I'm glad I could help. And great! The new content is definitely worth seeing C:.

Also I fixed those error you found so you don't need to keep those screenshots anymore if you don't want to :]. I didn't change the last one though, the these->this one, because speaking somewhat obtusely/awkwardly is part of January's character.
In-Progress:
Released:

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: A Foretold Affair [Steampunk-Fantasy Adve][?xG/B/X]Demo

#53 Post by Googaboga »

The longer version of the AFA demo is now up!

Download Here~

⚜Features:
-29,000 word script
-Finished CGs
-3 romance options (one male, one female, one agender)
-Choose pronouns (he, she, or they) and a ‘Normal’ name for the MC
-Lite animation effects

We hope you'll give it a try and let us know what you think :mrgreen:!
In-Progress:
Released:

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#54 Post by Zelan »

Awesome, another 9000 words! It's like an early Christmas for me. :D (I was just thinking about this earlier today, so I am so ready for this, hehe.)

bellice
Veteran

#55 Post by bellice »

Wohoo! I've been checking your social media accounts obsessively for the last week or so. Happy the longer demo is finally here. :)

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran

#56 Post by Googaboga »

Thanks you guys! I really hope you'll both enjoy how things start to progress ;v;.
In-Progress:
Released:

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran

#57 Post by Googaboga »

We're going to be starting the Kickstarter August 22nd!
In-Progress:
Released:

bellice
Veteran

#58 Post by bellice »

Finally got a chance to play the longer demo and - Kea is still my favourite. My heart has officially been sold.

As for Piper's route, I'm starting to feel sorry for poor Seer! So love-struck and Piper just doesn't care. (Love it.)

And I knew there was something special about January, but I wouldn't have actually expected him to be
an Abnormal.
That is certainly gonna put an interesting twist on his story.

I wish you the best of luck on your Kickstarter and I hope it's gonna be a success!

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran

#59 Post by Googaboga »

Thank you so much bellice! We appreciate you coming back and letting us know how you felt about the updated demo :]. And we're happy you enjoyed the continued antics of the little crew C:.
In-Progress:
Released:

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: A Foretold Affair [Steampunk-Fantasy][?xG/B/X]Kickstarte

#60 Post by Googaboga »

The Kickstarter is live. Please do check it out!
In-Progress:
Released: