Secrets Untold [GxB] [Demo Out Now!]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
LegendEx
Regular
Completed: Imre's Curse: The Prologue, Secrets Untold, Snowdrop, Summer at Marisol Bay
Projects: Battle Royale: For Your Heart!, Secrets Unsung
Tumblr: LegendExGames
itch: legendex-games

Secrets Untold [GxB] [Demo Out Now!]

#1 Post by LegendEx »

Secrets Untold is a free English otome game in the works. It features 3 romance routes, full English voice acting and multiple endings per route.

Download the demo here.
To watch the 2018 trailer click here.

About the Game:

A baby was abandoned by her parents when she was born, and left on the steps of Castle Vestis. The life she was originally destined to would never see the light of day. She was raised by the maids in the servants quarters and names Calista. King Rory, despite his valiant efforts, could not keep his son Balder and the orphan girl from meeting. Eventually, the two feel in love and Balder proposed. It was an outrage to the entire Kingdom that young handsome prince would choose love over status. Tensions only seem to rise as the wedding quickly approaches. Three days before the big day, something goes awry, and Calista finds herself fighting for her freedom amongst a web of deceit. Will she trust the stranger from the feared organization, Shadow, who has come to help her? Or will she remain loyal to the prince? Can she find out who she really is, or will her past remain a secret untold?

Setting:
The game takes place in the medieval land of Aurea. It is a nation plagued by fierce traditionalism. Aurea is made up of several different Kingdoms. Secrets Untold will focus on one Kingdom, Vestis and its royal family, the Parisis, but may mention others. The social hierarchy of Vestis is based solely on namesake. Calista’s surname is unknown, and thus, her power within the Kingdom is nonexistent, despite her relationship with the prince.

Meet The Characters:

Meet the Team:

LegendEx [Writer and Project Lead]
Dahlia Wilder [Sprite and CG Artist]
Saibraeus [GUI artist]
TellerFarsight [Programmer]
Cait Powers, Sean Rogers, Daniel Peet, Vecna, Ironbar36, TheHornedWitch, JB Coleman, CaramelWolfie, Libby Moffett, Adoxographist, Jes Richards, Skye Blue, KaeGiroux [Voice Actors]

Progress:

Prologue: [100% Written]
Kiran’s Route [100% Written]
Garrick’s Route [100% Written]
Marigold's Route [100% Written]
Demo [100% Complete] Beta Test Phase
Demo Voices (100% Complete)
Demo Sprites (100% Complete)
Demo Programming/Text Input (100% Complete)
Demo Sound Effects/Music (100% Complete)

Progress Shot:

CG Example:

The two main routes are around 48,000 words and there is a side route that is 5,115 words.
The art was done by DahliaWilder For faster updates on the progress of this game visit: my tumblr or my twitter.

I do have a few questions:
What is the preferred resolution, if you have one, for a visual novel?
When playing a game that is voiced, would you prefer the player character be voiced as well?
What other info about the game should I put on this post?
Is there anything you'd like to know specifically about the game?

Update as of 2/26/2018:

The demo is in it's beta tester phase and should be out very soon!
Last edited by LegendEx on Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:32 am, edited 24 times in total.

Harmonywish
Regular

Re: Secrets Untold [GxB] [Fantasy/Medieval]

#2 Post by Harmonywish »

Oh wow! This is looking quite lovely! There aren't many fantasy, medieval games that I've seen, I quite excited for this :) And it's free too? >w< Eeeee! Loving the story line ^^

I usually multitask, meaning, I put the game on auto on one side, and I play my other online browser games on the other! :> Not sure what is the resolution I usually use is though

When playing a game that is voiced, would you prefer the player character be voiced as well?

Yes I do! Again, I usually multi task and knowing what the player, as well as the other characters are saying, is really nice to have.

A link to where updates are usually found at? Maybe some screenshots of how the game looks or certain scenes might be nice?

What are powers for? :>

LegendEx
Regular
Completed: Imre's Curse: The Prologue, Secrets Untold, Snowdrop, Summer at Marisol Bay

#3 Post by LegendEx »

Harmonywish wrote:Oh wow! This is looking quite lovely! There aren't many fantasy, medieval games that I've seen, I quite excited for this :) And it's free too? >w< Eeeee! Loving the story line ^^

I usually multitask, meaning, I put the game on auto on one side, and I play my other online browser games on the other! :> Not sure what is the resolution I usually use is though

Yes I do! Again, I usually multi task and knowing what the player, as well as the other characters are saying, is really nice to have.

A link to where updates are usually found at? Maybe some screenshots of how the game looks or certain scenes might be nice?

What are powers for? :>
Thank you for the interest! I absolutely adore the medieval times, so I wanted to try writing about it, with a fantastical twist. I've updated the thread with a link to my tumblr where you can find the most up to date information as well as a progress shot of the game. I'll be updating this again soon to include some of the other characters as well. The powers are simply details added to the story, there aren't any additional game play mechanics involved. The Shadows are "superhuman" and have powers, while normal citizens, like Calista and Balder do not. I just listed them so people could see the fantasy element of the story. Thanks for the feedback!

LegendEx
Regular

#4 Post by LegendEx »

Updated.

Arkhane
Regular

#5 Post by Arkhane »

I don't have one. Window or full screen, it's ok ^^

No! I prefer to imagine that voice :)

No idea yet

Yes, more info about the world. Is the action in a sole Kingdom or in many, from what I see, there's magic so what type of magic?
Any information you can think about :3

Can you explain me what you mean by "This warrior is more than meets the eye"?
I really like the art, the character are nice and the BG.... It's amazing
By the way Balder is suspicious with his doll face don't you think? X)

I'm looking forward for this game so good luck :3

LegendEx
Regular

#6 Post by LegendEx »

Thank you for the feedback! I will post more info and clarify some things this weekend, as well as answer your questions. I'll have more time then. You're right, Balder's smile is definitely questionable. He's a bit complex. I hope to update the page soon with a lot more detail. Thank you again for commenting (:

CatyCats
Regular

#7 Post by CatyCats »

Full screen,but if you mean the width and length then I don't know :p

When I play a game with voices I don't listen to the character voice. I rather have my own voice and thoughts. (I don't speak loud while playing, just saying because you might be mistaken me. :D ) But you can make that optional?

We got all the info that we needed. I love medieval stories/old Japanese stories btw !

No none. But I have a note, could it be another lettertype? It's hard for me to read quickly.

LegendEx
Regular

#8 Post by LegendEx »

Arkhane wrote:What is the preferred resolution, if you have one, for a visual novel?
I don't have one. Window or full screen, it's ok ^^

No! I prefer to imagine that voice :)

No idea yet

Yes, more info about the world. Is the action in a sole Kingdom or in many, from what I see, there's magic so what type of magic?
Any information you can think about :3

Can you explain me what you mean by "This warrior is more than meets the eye"?
I really like the art, the character are nice and the BG.... It's amazing
By the way Balder is suspicious with his doll face don't you think? X)

I'm looking forward for this game so good luck :3
Thank you! I added some more info about the setting and powers in the top post. But, to answer your questions, yes Balder is one of the more complicated characters in the game, so definitely watch out for him. "This warrior is more than meets the eye" Well, this game is all about uncovering some secrets. Kiran acts very cool and put together. He has a very strict "business" outlook. But, there's a reason for it, and he's more complicated than what you see initially. Thanks again for the support!

LegendEx
Regular

#9 Post by LegendEx »

CatyCats wrote:What is the preferred resolution, if you have one, for a visual novel?
Full screen,but if you mean the width and length then I don't know :p

When I play a game with voices I don't listen to the character voice. I rather have my own voice and thoughts. (I don't speak loud while playing, just saying because you might be mistaken me. :D ) But you can make that optional?

We got all the info that we needed. I love medieval stories/old Japanese stories btw !

No none. But I have a note, could it be another lettertype? It's hard for me to read quickly.
Thank you for answering! I'll look into a different font :) Thanks again for the support!

LegendEx
Regular

#10 Post by LegendEx »

Updated!

LegendEx
Regular

Re: Secrets Untold [GxB] [Medieval] Create a Char. Contest!!

#11 Post by LegendEx »

Help Me Create a Character!

Have you ever wanted to create a character and have them show up in a visual novel? Well, now is your chance! As I was writing Garrick’s route, I came across a very interesting area of the script that I could insert another romance option into. Since I’ve nixed Balder’s route, I figure this would be the best place to make up for it. The character in question has already shown up in this script and is referred to as NAME. That’s because they aren’t completely fleshed out yet. Are they a boy? A girl? Identify as something else? What are they like? What do they love? What do they hate? What do they look like? I’m going to take any suggestions you have for me and turn this character into someone awesome. The route is estimated to be about 5,000-20,000 additional words.

You can message me or comment with any information. For example: “likes fish” or "hates carrots." That’s enough for me and I can run with that~

I’d just like to get you all more involved with the game (: Also, a new character involves another voice actor/actress! I’ll announce the specifics later.

Harmonywish
Regular

Re: Secrets Untold [GxB] [Medieval] Help Create a Character!

#12 Post by Harmonywish »

Oh! Could we come up with a design? And I'd love a girl route with short hair maybe tossed over one eye? ^^

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#13 Post by Mammon »

I may have misunderstood the premise, but wasn't the protagonist supposed to get married to Balder? Why isn't he (one of) the romanceable route?

However, a very general suggestion for a new romanceable character: As the other two romances are 1) hiding his feelings and with possible secret agenda and 2) Joking and happy but serious and ruthless underneath. A good third route to even things out would be 3) Cold and calculated on the outside (tsundere) to safeguard their idealism or to make it a reality in this grim world. Sir Taylor actually seems like he would fit this role. But I too would agree with a Yuri route :)
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#14 Post by Rinima »

*Reiterating Mammon
I 2nd the question about why Balder isn't a romancable character, I mean, the MC is meant to be getting married to him, it doesn't make any sense *not* to have him as a LI.
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

#15 Post by wyverngem »

In widescreen about 1280x720 for my monitor. Also more space for characters sprites.

No. However, if you do have it voiced you should allow the player to mute that character.

I'd like to see more mock screenshots of the game, characters interacting with one another. If there's going to be CG's. That sort of thing.

So what happened in the plot that the prince is not considered a love interest anymore? I'm curious about that as well. It makes me wonder if this prince was naive and proposed to the girl instead of making her a consort. It sounds like an interesting plot and I'd be interested in the demo.