Secrets Untold [GxB] [Demo Out Now!]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
LegendEx
Regular
Completed: Imre's Curse: The Prologue, Secrets Untold, Snowdrop, Summer at Marisol Bay
Projects: Battle Royale: For Your Heart!, Secrets Unsung
Tumblr: LegendExGames
itch: legendex-games

Re: Secrets Untold [GxB] [Medieval] Help Create a Character!

#16 Post by LegendEx »

Hi guys! Thank you for the responses.

In regards to the new character:
@HarmonyWish Thanks for the feedback. I'm more so looking for personality, but I will definitely note the appearance suggestions!

@Mammon Interesting analysis of the characters. I was leaning more towards a yuri route to expand the audience for the game, so it's good to see that there is interest. I will definitely take into account your suggestions.

On the topic of Balder:
If Calista is marrying Balder, why get rid of his route? A few reasons actually. The first is the practicality of it. Each route will be about 50,000 words. Multiply that by 3 for 3 routes, and we get 150,000 words. It's a lot of words! This project is my first one, and my scope is smaller because of that. I'm the sole writer of the game, as well as the programmer/director. I'm really only getting help with the audio and visuals. Therefore, I want to stay on a more focused track, quality over quantity.

But then you must be thinking: Why cut out Balder and not say, Garrick? He is the prince for crying out loud! Well, this has a lot to do with the story-lines implemented for each guy. The point of this game, besides the romance (because it is otome) is to tell the story of how Calista grows as a character and finds herself. Balder presents an interesting challenge. While Garrick and Kiran force this change in Calista, Balder does not. I do not want to fall into the trope of the prince whisking away the princess blah blah blah. It's cute, but I want more. Calista is set to marry Balder when something happens at the castle. They're supposedly in love, but Balder is all Calista knows. She has never left the castle's walls. If she remains by his side, and Balder chooses to remain faithful to tradition, Calista cannot and will not grow to the point that Kiran And Garrick take her to. But, you're absolutely right. Balder is an important character, and he remains a driving force in Calista's motivations. The original route I had planned for him became problematic and didn't advance the story as I had wanted for him.

That being said, I am having a hard time parting from the idea of the Prince as a love interest as well. Because...he's the prince. The way the story is set up points to the fact that at least early on, Calista loves him. Players should have the option to stay by his side, and that option will still be present in the game. But, it will not be the original 50,000 word route I originally planned. It will be a much smaller side route, taking place after some events that are a catalyst for Calista's growth. Also, please keep in mind that marrying Calista will be a hit to the Parisi name. Ultimately, Balder has to choose between status and love, where choosing one over the other will be dangerous. He has to pick the lesser of two evils, but you'll learn more about that in the game if you choose to play it.

@wyverngem
Thanks for answering! A few things in response, Calista will be voiced. Unfortunately, I'm making the game on Tyranobuilder and there is no voice acting support, and thus no option to mute the character voices will be presented. Thank you for the interest in the demo!

I will update the main post with screenshots very soon. I'm just waiting on some more finalized art works. I can however share some backgrounds, as all the ones I'm using are from creative commons. I also have some promotional videos to show off character voices that I will post very soon as well. The demo will be out as soon as I get the finished artwork. Everything else is completed for it.

Thank you all for your responses!

LegendEx
Regular
Completed: Imre's Curse: The Prologue, Secrets Untold, Snowdrop, Summer at Marisol Bay

Re: Secrets Untold [GxB] [Medieval]

#17 Post by LegendEx »

Updated as of 1/8/17. Garrick's route is almost completely written. I am announcing a new character route being added (a min romance of sorts, at about 5,000-15,000 words) with a female named Marigold. For full progress details, feel free to check out my game dev tumblr at legendexgames.

Harmonywish
Regular

#18 Post by Harmonywish »

A female route? Ahh, I'm super excited for that! Progress seems to be going wonderfully! Thank you for the update and your hard work <3

LegendEx
Regular

#19 Post by LegendEx »

Harmonywish wrote:A female route? Ahh, I'm super excited for that! Progress seems to be going wonderfully! Thank you for the update and your hard work <3
Yepp, Marigold is lovely and a perfect fit for Calista :) Thank you so much for the support, it means a lot!

LegendEx
Regular

#20 Post by LegendEx »

As of 3/3/2017 Secrets Untold is completely written. It is about 100,000 words with a total of 10 or so endings, 4 for both Kiran and Garrick's romance route and 2 for Marigold's side route. Her route totals 5,115 words. Now, I'll be working on programming :)

If you want to hear an interview from the voice acting cast of the game, click right here.

LegendEx
Regular

Re: Secrets Untold [GxB] [Medieval] [New Art!]

#21 Post by LegendEx »

Secrets Untold has received a new artist! I'd like to welcome DahliaWilder to the team. Please check out her stuff ^_^ The demo should be out in a few weeks time.

LegendEx
Regular

#22 Post by LegendEx »

Updated the master post. I've sent out a beta demo and have received feedback from testers. I am working on implementing changes based on the feedback I've received :)

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

#23 Post by Kokoro Hane »

What is the preferred resolution, if you have one, for a visual novel?
Any resolution is fine, to be honest. If widescreen, typically 1280x720, if boxed, then 1024x768. But really, any works for me~

When playing a game that is voiced, would you prefer the player character be voiced as well?
Preferrably I do. It's not too big of a pet peeve of mine if the main is unvoiced nor will it kill my enjoyment, but it is a nice bonus if the main is voiced! It breathes life and personality into the main,

What other info about the game should I put on this post?
I think putting the name of each character's voice actor under the character would be cool~

Is there anything you'd like to know specifically about the game?
I can already tell this will be really interesting, so I think you've provided enough info.

Anyway, this game looks totally neat! I find the storyline to be fascinating and can't wait to play it to see how it unfolds. Also, when you said that it would be VOICE ACTED--that sold it for me. I love seeing more OELVNs with voice acting! I watched the trailer, it sounds like you have quite a cast. Some of the acted parts felt a little meh, but I won't judge the entire game on the trailer too much as I've seen trailers where it looks like the voice acting will be meh, then when I come into contact with the actual thing it turns out AMAZING. I also saw that you have JB Coleman amongst your cast... as one of his directors as well, since he's in one of my games, I can assure you he is very talented and will do quite well~ Looking forward to the demo, and most definitely the full version~
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

LegendEx
Regular

#24 Post by LegendEx »

Kokoro Hane wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:25 pm What is the preferred resolution, if you have one, for a visual novel?
Any resolution is fine, to be honest. If widescreen, typically 1280x720, if boxed, then 1024x768. But really, any works for me~

When playing a game that is voiced, would you prefer the player character be voiced as well?
Preferrably I do. It's not too big of a pet peeve of mine if the main is unvoiced nor will it kill my enjoyment, but it is a nice bonus if the main is voiced! It breathes life and personality into the main,

What other info about the game should I put on this post?
I think putting the name of each character's voice actor under the character would be cool~

Is there anything you'd like to know specifically about the game?
I can already tell this will be really interesting, so I think you've provided enough info.

Anyway, this game looks totally neat! I find the storyline to be fascinating and can't wait to play it to see how it unfolds. Also, when you said that it would be VOICE ACTED--that sold it for me. I love seeing more OELVNs with voice acting! I watched the trailer, it sounds like you have quite a cast. Some of the acted parts felt a little meh, but I won't judge the entire game on the trailer too much as I've seen trailers where it looks like the voice acting will be meh, then when I come into contact with the actual thing it turns out AMAZING. I also saw that you have JB Coleman amongst your cast... as one of his directors as well, since he's in one of my games, I can assure you he is very talented and will do quite well~ Looking forward to the demo, and most definitely the full version~
Thank you for your comments! I think voice acting brings the story to life. That's why I decided my game definitely needed to be fully voiced! Some of the voices in the trailer are outdated, and I'm working with the VAs to get better quality sounds. It's the main reason why the demo hasn't been released yet. I also need to update the trailer haha

I appreciate the kind words and support ^_^

LegendEx
Regular

#25 Post by LegendEx »

I added one of the CGs that you'll see in the game from Kiran's route up top.

As of 11/21/2017:
Having switched my engine from Tyranobuilder to Ren'py, the final demo is nearly complete. A gui has been made for the game and Kiran's voice has been re-casted. Therefore, we're just waiting on a few audio lines for programming to continue. But, the demo otherwise is nearly completed and I'm excited to see it all come together. All art assets are 100% completed, including CGs. Almost all of the voices have been recorded for Kiran's route, and we're making good progress on the voices for Garrick's and Marigold's routes. The writing is also 100% completed.

LegendEx
Regular

Re: Secrets Untold [GxB] [Medieval] [2018 Trailer Up]

#26 Post by LegendEx »

An updated trailer has been uploaded. To watch it click here.

LegendEx
Regular

#27 Post by LegendEx »

Updated progress shot! 2.26.18

LegendEx
Regular

#28 Post by LegendEx »

The pictures are now updated and should be working :)

LegendEx
Regular

#29 Post by LegendEx »

The demo is out right now on itch.io!
https://legendex-games.itch.io/secrets-untold
Enjoy and let me know what you think :)

CatyCats
Regular

Re: Secrets Untold [GxB] [Demo Out Now!]

#30 Post by CatyCats »

I've played the demo (short D:) and I must say it's quite nice. I love the voice actors, the choices are good (not like some where you have to play 20 min and there is still no choice to choose).The story is complicated, I mean the prince and Calista are in love, yeah okay , they're childhood friends, but he's kinda freaking me out yet I'm curious as to why.

In summary, the demo was short but it's loveable to play :p.