Anomie [Dystopia](Kickstarter live + on Steam Greenlight!)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
LeafCascade
Regular

Anomie [Dystopia](Kickstarter live + on Steam Greenlight!)

#1 Post by LeafCascade »

Hey guys!

I'll be keeping this text short as a great deal of information is already available on our Kickstarter page.
I have another thread up in the subforum for demos, so if you want the full picture about the demo in particular, you can find the thread here.
But, I figured I could at least show you the character summaries and designs here!
(Sadly, it seems the images are a bit too small resolution-wise for Lemma Soft!)
Any feedback or thoughts are, of course, welcome. We have put a lot of effort into this project, and hopefully that shows!
- LeafCascade
Last edited by LeafCascade on Tue May 31, 2016 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

lmlangley
Projects: Talk to Me

Re: Anomie [Mystery, Psychological, Dystopia](Kickstarter li

#2 Post by lmlangley »

I really liked the concept so I decided to contribute to your kickstarter but I just want to say that the super long intro REALLY took me out of it. I had to play it maybe four or five times before I managed to get through it and my eyes were glazing over all of those times. I think you can probably write the information into the game without the huge infodump at the beginning. That said, the prose is very nice and overall the demo is very good, I just had to try playing it several times to push through.

LeafCascade
Regular

#3 Post by LeafCascade »

lmlangley wrote:I really liked the concept so I decided to contribute to your kickstarter but I just want to say that the super long intro REALLY took me out of it. I had to play it maybe four or five times before I managed to get through it and my eyes were glazing over all of those times. I think you can probably write the information into the game without the huge infodump at the beginning. That said, the prose is very nice and overall the demo is very good, I just had to try playing it several times to push through.
Hey there!

Hmm, those are some interesting points - I'm all ears if you want to elaborate more specifically on what you think I can do to alleviate these issues. And just to be clear - by the "huge infodump", I assume you mean the prologue? In that case, it's also intended to be more... dense than the rest of the text, as I'm delving into a major theme of the visual novel. Point taken, though!

Thank you for your support, we really do appreciate it!

Eora
Regular
Projects: Sugar & Massacre, Réadú and Nach Innen

#4 Post by Eora »

I backed it!

And I didn't have a problem with the intro being "long", I think it just made me wanna know more about what actually happened in the world they are in.

I do think it's a bit boring you don't see the main character at all, even though that's probably the point. And not seeing the other girl at the stairs was a bit off putting, but I could also see it work if you were just shown a bit of her in some way? I dunno, I'm just throwing ideas out there.
Last edited by Eora on Sat May 28, 2016 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-

Current project: Sugar & Massacre

-

lmlangley
Projects: Talk to Me

#5 Post by lmlangley »

LeafCascade wrote:
lmlangley wrote:I really liked the concept so I decided to contribute to your kickstarter but I just want to say that the super long intro REALLY took me out of it. I had to play it maybe four or five times before I managed to get through it and my eyes were glazing over all of those times. I think you can probably write the information into the game without the huge infodump at the beginning. That said, the prose is very nice and overall the demo is very good, I just had to try playing it several times to push through.
Hey there!

Hmm, those are some interesting points - I'm all ears if you want to elaborate more specifically on what you think I can do to alleviate these issues. And just to be clear - by the "huge infodump", I assume you mean the prologue? In that case, it's also intended to be more... dense than the rest of the text, as I'm delving into a major theme of the visual novel. Point taken, though!

Thank you for your support, we really do appreciate it!
I agree with the person above me. The problem wasn't the dense language, it was the fact that it struck me as boring. And since I was interested in the concept I pushed through -- with difficulty -- but I don't expect that will be the case for everyone.

I think of a story like a stranger on public transportation. If one sat next to me and started talking, they better be an incredible conversationalist or at least be wearing interesting clothes. Your story is the stranger with the clothes -- the riveting conversationalist part, not so much. It gets there but by then I'm thinking "should I be polite to this person or should I put my headphones back in?"

I also think that if you set this dense tone in the prose to start with and then you switch it to beautifully flowing prose, which you do as soon as the art comes into the screen, it's kind of jarring. Which could have been your intention, but if that's the case, then the prologue isn't short enough to create both an emotionally jarring and engaging experience.

Anyway, I hope that helps. Like I said, I really enjoyed it overall, that was the only part I had an issue with.

LeafCascade
Regular

#6 Post by LeafCascade »

I'll take your words into consideration. Thanks for the feedback and support you two, it's very much appreciated!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#7 Post by Zelan »

I am unable to back the Kickstarter, but this project seems super interesting and I'm certainly going to watch for it. ^_^

LeafCascade
Regular

Re: Anomie [Dystopia](Kickstarter live + on Steam Greenlight

#9 Post by LeafCascade »

Anomie's Kickstarter has soon run its course and we're currently 91% funded! With 48 hours left, the project may very well be a success. If you haven't yet, please check us out. : )