Yaoi Jam [BxB][DEMO] - Lethe - Romance/Mystery [HIATUS]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Yaoi Jam [BxB][BL][DEMO] - Lethe - Romance/Mystery

#31 Post by Zelan »

78909087 wrote:
Zelan wrote:can caleb be a romanceable character please

Yaaay, demo! c: I'll have to play it when I get time.
Oml I can't wait to crush your hopes and dreams about Caleb.
... It's not that I want to disappoint, it's just that he's not as nice as he'd like you to believe.
Awww...
Why are the cutest guys always antagonists? cx

Veteran
Completed: Dungeons and Don't Do It, Wake Up
Projects: Lethe
IRC Nick: Pacermist

#32 Post by 78909087 »

Zelan wrote: Awww...
Why are the cutest guys always antagonists? cx
Ahahaha, while I do accept your disappointment...
I wouldn't likely call him an antagonist, but an unstable man. It would be interesting to create a relationship dynamic, but it would be very different to what the player has access to now, and I'm unsure as to if the age difference would be acceptable. The characters are only 16/17, while Caleb is about 21/22. (Plus I don't think it's very safe to get involved with Caleb, but that's my opinion.)
I am not friends with the sun.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#33 Post by Zelan »

Age difference is tough to approach. Personally, I don't have a problem with that particular age gap by itself. If he's an unstable guy, though, it probably wouldn't be a great relationship regardless of the ages of people involved. So I guess what I'm saying is it would be interesting to read a Caleb route but it seems like it would only be bad ends. cx
All you've succeeded in doing is further heightening my curiosity. I really need to finish my backlog of VNs so I can get to yours ahhhhhh

Veteran

Re: Yaoi Jam [BxB][DEMO] - Lethe - Romance/Mystery

#34 Post by 78909087 »

Updated Demo Links!

Other updates:
  • Cleaned up the original post.
    Added fan rewards.
Please feel free to discuss theories in this thread, but please keep them in the spoiler tag.

Lethe is celebrating >230 downloads as of today, thank-you all for your support!

- Eris
Regular

#35 Post by - Eris »

I've just finished the demo, it was really good and now I wanna know how the story goes!
I really like the art and the chibis are adooooorable!
The CGs were also really well drawn, congrats to the artist behind those!
Wich character I like the most? Well I like the 3 of them and I really can't choose between Jaden and Cameron D: and as you said at the end of the demo, yes, Cameron seems fishy but also Jaden, I think Jaden is more fishy than Cameron, and I also don't know why but Mark also seems fishy to me lol
I already have my theories about Jaden, Cameron and what happened that night but I'll save them for when the game is released, keep up the good work! I'll be checking your progress!

Veteran

#36 Post by 78909087 »

Updated main thread!
- Eris wrote:I've just finished the demo, it was really good and now I wanna know how the story goes!
I really like the art and the chibis are adooooorable!
The CGs were also really well drawn, congrats to the artist behind those!
Wich character I like the most? Well I like the 3 of them and I really can't choose between Jaden and Cameron D: and as you said at the end of the demo, yes, Cameron seems fishy but also Jaden, I think Jaden is more fishy than Cameron, and I also don't know why but Mark also seems fishy to me lol
I already have my theories about Jaden, Cameron and what happened that night but I'll save them for when the game is released, keep up the good work! I'll be checking your progress!
Thank-you for commenting! (/)o3o(\)

I really like anyone who even breathes in Lethe's direction, honestly, but I like commenters a lot more.
As for wanting to know more... That's the number one comment! And also, very understandable considering it was just the demo.

There will be a re-release of the demo with a little more story, plus voicing- in about a month! Please do come back to replay it then, and let me know if it's something that should be continued or not!

I love the art too! (I especially love Red-Baby, my cute sprite artist!)
And the chibis were amazing- I consider myself extremely lucky and privileged to have received them from the glorious Shortycake!
Even alteredgingerr has stuck around to help my lowly project with CGs!
I'm sure everyone will be happy to hear (read?) your praise!

I'm so glad you actually liked all three characters! I'm so worried people are going to come to hate the MC for being so internalised and unaware. I really want to carve out his existence as this kind of well-guarded character- both aware and so blatantly unaware at the same time. I hope to really drag him along with the plot and occasionally tug the carpet under him to startle him.

As for Cameron and Jaden- I think they're both fairly lovable in their own ways. The demo can't go really deep into the psyche of the two without branching off, and that makes for a complicated 'demo resolution'- so I've done what I can to resolve it immediately before. I guess in a way, I want the player to see the the full picture, choose a colour- then come back and see it's all inverted. If you can love either boy before you find out more about the boy, then why not gun it through? I figure those who want to see a happy ending will probably get one- but anyone willing to dig just a little bit harder might uncover a little more intimate details.

I do hope the true story isn't disappointing! I try to keep my stories fairly realistic when based in the real-world. Of course, there are still mental illnesses- so don't write off crazy just yet!

Also- I'm so happy you've found Mark suss. A lot of the adults in the game are actually pretty suss! Dr Quinn with her bold exclamation (and little bit of a lie), Mark with his incessant need to be a part of things- and even Caleb with his temper (did you notice?...) The gym teacher is yet to come- but he's a character all of his own. I really feel sorry for teachers, especially these days. Sometimes watching kids go through so much shit just isn't worth the pleasure of helping them grow. I hope you'll come to appreciate all these small characters when they play their roles in the game too!

I'm interested to hear you have theories. Especially about Jaden being more suspicious than Cameron! Of course, Jaden has a very busy life trying to handle independance and popularity. When first faced with character sheets and sprites, everyone seemed to like him- so I'm glad! It's definitely much like his in-game personality. He tends to draw everyone's attention- even if in your case it's suspicion. You're not alone! Only a few minutes after the demo ends... Hehehehe... I think I should keep quiet until the release.

Feel free to PM me with any theories- I love hearing from the community about the plot devices they expect the most! Knowing how others view the story and characters helps me understand it from a truly third-person point of view. (Don't be shy- I love PMs.)

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#37 Post by Zelan »

Hey there! I finally got around to playing your demo. (It took way too long, I know. :/)

First things first - a few minor typos/grammar errors: Link

Besides that, I thought it was a really solid demo! The pacing was good - I really felt confused by the mystery, but I never felt like the story was starting to drag. I'm curious to see what happens next.