Love Bug [Dating Sim Parody][?xB][?xG]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Your Royal Gayness, Love Bug, Lovingly Evil
Organization: Lizard Hazard Games
Tumblr: lizardhazardgames
itch: aviala

Love Bug [Dating Sim Parody][?xB][?xG]

#1 Post by Aviala »

Wishlist now on Steam!

Love Bug is a Dating Sim Parody about game developers. You play as a young game designer who gets dragged into a 3-day game jam. Will you survive on coffee only? Will you finish your game? Find love? Or even.... become the legendary Jack of All Trades?!

Tumblr - Twitter - Facebook

Features:

No gender assigned to protagonist - you get to decide
Commercial (est. price 5USD)
Pokemon-style battles against bugs
3 or more love interests
6 or more unique characters

Progress:

Designer-kun route 100%
Artist-chan route 100%
Coder-senpai route 100%
Main route 100%
Extra routes 10%

Art 95 %
UI 50%
Bug Battle coding 95%
Script coding 50%
Music and sounds 80%

Any and all comments and questions are very welcome!
Last edited by Aviala on Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: To Weave A Thread
Organization: UNICORSITY
Tumblr: unicorsity
itch: namio

Re: Love Bug [Dating Sim Parody][?xB][?xG]

#2 Post by Ghost of Crux »

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHERE TO START... THE INCREDIBLE SUMMARY, THE GREAT CHARACTER TYPES OR THE FACT THAT THERE ARE POKEMON-STYLE BATTLES AGAINST BUGS

I just had to link it to a game designer friend. This is true glory right here. Everybody stand down.
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Become a patron on my Patreon!

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

I know that your story is meant to be humorous and absurd. That said, where does it take place? Think about whether the characters in this university would refer to themselves with phrases such as "second year," or whether they would use another phrase. Also, would any of them refer to themselves with honorifics? Would they ever talk to other people with these terms?
Aviala wrote: Pokemon-style battles against bugs
This idea is clever. I would not have thought of it.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#4 Post by Zelan »

"level 5 vegan"

I'm dying.

This seems like it'll be cool, I'm going to keep an eye on this. ^_^

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Aviala »

gekiganwing wrote:I know that your story is meant to be humorous and absurd. That said, where does it take place? Think about whether the characters in this university would refer to themselves with phrases such as "second year," or whether they would use another phrase. Also, would any of them refer to themselves with honorifics? Would they ever talk to other people with these terms?
Aviala wrote: Pokemon-style battles against bugs
This idea is clever. I would not have thought of it.
Thanks for the comment! The game takes place in a vaguely Nordic setting but it's not really specified. The oddity of some phrases is probably simply caused by none of us having English as our first language. It's regrettable but our budget is zero (literally, we all work on this for free) so we can't really hire anyone to edit for us. Since I probably have the best grasp of English grammar out of the four of us I do the editing but I'm definitely not completely fluent. I guess we could try to get someone for free but since it's most likely going to be a commercial game it would be a bit shitty to not pay the editor - it's a bit of a dilemma. We're going to open beta testing at some point and if the testers feel too bothered by the writing, I guess then we'll try to solve the problem.

Real people here would NEVER use honorifics but it's meant to be a joke about the fact that so many dating sims are set in Japan or vagely Japanese (even if they're made in a western country). The names are purposely just the characters roles since each character is meant to be a parody of a certain type of game dev (or geek) - they don't need actual names.

Overall, the whole game is full of shitty jokes that we love, and we definitely understand it's not for everyone :'D Again, thanks for the comment and I hope this clears things up a bit!
Ghost of Crux wrote:*praise*
Zelan wrote:....
This seems like it'll be cool, I'm going to keep an eye on this. ^_^
Thank you so much! You have no idea how happy you guys made us, especially our lead designer. :'D

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: To Weave A Thread
Organization: UNICORSITY
Tumblr: unicorsity
itch: namio

#6 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Please tell me that there are some bugs that are parodies of the classic Pokemon glitches

What game are they making, anyway? DO WE GET TO CHOOSE WHAT THEY MAKE... what genre... what insanity... What is our role within the team? WHAT DO WE DO...
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Become a patron on my Patreon!

MoonByte
Regular
Completed: Shine (RPG Maker), Heroes (RPG Maker), Lantern Bearer (RPG Maker), Loop the Loop (Unity), Other Stars (Unreal), Sky Eye (RPG Maker), WIN Delivery & Fateful (Ren'Py)
Projects: Weird Is Normal (Ren'Py)

#7 Post by MoonByte »

As someone that studies Game Art and ORGANIZES the two Game Jams of my university...
I love this idea. So much (and we actually have a few hardcore vegans among artists xD).

I might share it among my fellow students once it's done, I can imagine a few of them getting it for the lulz xD

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Aviala »

Ghost of Crux wrote:Please tell me that there are some bugs that are parodies of the classic Pokemon glitches

What game are they making, anyway? DO WE GET TO CHOOSE WHAT THEY MAKE... what genre... what insanity... What is our role within the team? WHAT DO WE DO...
So far we don't have references to the Pokemon glitches but thanks for the idea, maybe we'll manage to put it into the game if we have any extra time :')

The player is a first-year student in a game design school so they do game design. The "making the game" bit is represented by the bug battles. So far the player only gets to decide between two teams and each team has their own game idea. The first team is making a dating sim (datingsimception!!) and the second team is making something a bit more action-based (I forgot what exactly, been coding the battle thing lately and not designing).

The game is going to be released later this summer so we can only add a limited amount of features but I hope you guys will still like it!!

MoonByte wrote:As someone that studies Game Art and ORGANIZES the two Game Jams of my university...
I love this idea. So much (and we actually have a few hardcore vegans among artists xD).

I might share it among my fellow students once it's done, I can imagine a few of them getting it for the lulz xD
Thank you!! We'll do our best to make it as good as everyone is hoping it's gonna be (haha, under pressure...) Any sharing will be greatly appreciated, we don't have a marketing budget so word of mouth is really important to us.

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Aviala »

All right, time for an update!

During this month we've got a lot of work done. I managed to mostly finish the Bug Battle code and Shopping code - you can buy some items either to feed your bae or to gain some extra energy yourself. The gameplay UI is also functional.
I also modified the bug battle code to work as a BOSS BATTLE...! dundunduuun

Our artists have been working on UI and bugs to battle against. We have a lot of exciting stuff going on but there's still a lot to do. Our "official" working period has ended but we'll be finishing the game in our free time. Stay tuned!

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Aviala »

Just wanted to do a quick update - we're still working on the game, albeit very slowly - we all have schoolwork and other projects going on. But the game is almost finished! So I'm really certain we'll be able to finish it, it'll just take a bit more time. Right now, we're planning on hitting Steam Greenlight by February and releasing the game sometime in Spring. I'm postponing some classes at Uni to make more time for work, so there's a good chance I'll be able to finish the code for the game around March.

Sadly, we can't release a demo for people to try out because the game will be pretty short (the playtime will be reflected on the price, don't worry). However, there will be a video with actual gameplay footage in it when we launch the Greenlight campaign. Stay tuned!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Zelan »

Aviala wrote:Just wanted to do a quick update - we're still working on the game, albeit very slowly - we all have schoolwork and other projects going on. But the game is almost finished! So I'm really certain we'll be able to finish it, it'll just take a bit more time. Right now, we're planning on hitting Steam Greenlight by February and releasing the game sometime in Spring. I'm postponing some classes at Uni to make more time for work, so there's a good chance I'll be able to finish the code for the game around March.

Sadly, we can't release a demo for people to try out because the game will be pretty short (the playtime will be reflected on the price, don't worry). However, there will be a video with actual gameplay footage in it when we launch the Greenlight campaign. Stay tuned!
Awesome to hear that you're still working on this! ^_^ I'm not sure whether I'll be able to purchase it once it's released but I'll definitely cote for the Greenlight and try to spread the word.

(Jeez, I swear I must be magical or something. This is like the fourth or fifth time that I've thought, "Hmm, whatever happened to [cool WIP I saw]? It hasn't updated in a few months," only for the creator to post an update soon after.)

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Aviala »

Aahh, thanks! I'm happy people still remember this little project. I'm glad projects are getting revived all around you, maybe you're a Necromancer and just don't know it? :D You can use your undead minions to spread the word about our campaign when we hit Greenlight, I hope! :''D

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Zelan »

Aviala wrote:Aahh, thanks! I'm happy people still remember this little project. I'm glad projects are getting revived all around you, maybe you're a Necromancer and just don't know it? :D You can use your undead minions to spread the word about our campaign when we hit Greenlight, I hope! :''D
Ha, that sounds like the plot of a short story. cx I'll do my best!

Aviala
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Aviala »

Hey all! Big news - this project has been revived and we're pretty close to releasing it! I've coded in most of the main story and the bug battle system is done. I'm just waiting for the final edits on the individual character routes so I can get to coding those. Then I just need to modify the battle system for the boss battle (dundunduuun) and replace the default Ren'Py UI when the artist finishes designing it. Coding custom UI for Your Royal Gayness was a lot of work so for this project we're mostly just going to replace the graphics in the UI folder and change the font. There are some custom menus etc ingame though. I think it'll look pretty good and save a lot of time and effort.

We had a test session on a test build today and the feedback was pretty positive (or so I hear since I wasn't physically present). There's a lot of polishing that needs to be done (my team already sent me 2 pages of things to fix) but the game doesn't crash and all the systems work as intended. We're looking at a early to mid-August release - so only a few weeks away!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Zelan »

It's great to see this back again! I'm glad you decided to come back to it. ^_^ Super excited for the release!