[DEMO UP] For Better or Worse [GxB] [Romance]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: For Better or Worse [GxB] [Romance] [Game Jam]

#16 Post by Zelan »

*throws motivational confetti* YOU GUYS GOT THIS! ^_^ Even if you guys can only get a demo out for the jam, that'll still be awesome and you should both be proud of yourselves. I look forward to it!

Mama J
Regular
Projects: An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer; Signed and Sealed with a Kiss
Organization: Anomalis
Tumblr: anomalis
Deviantart: anomalisgames
itch: anomalis-games

#17 Post by Mama J »

Zelan wrote:*throws motivational confetti* YOU GUYS GOT THIS! ^_^ Even if you guys can only get a demo out for the jam, that'll still be awesome and you should both be proud of yourselves. I look forward to it!
Whoo, thank you for the motivation, personal cheerleader!! :lol: But ahhh we're cutting it so close, the deadline is in 4 days and we're still FAR from done :| *fingers crossed* Dear Lord, let's pray and hope things turn out for the best!

Mama J
Regular

#18 Post by Mama J »

HI BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE -- Quick update!!

WE'RE GOING TO DO IT, GUYS, WE'RE GOING TO MAKE THE DEADLINE. I didn't think it was possible but there IS a light at the end of the tunnel :lol: CG for the demo is done, sprites are done, backgrounds are done, music is done, GUI is done, script is done; only coding left to go!! The demo for the game should be up in a few hours if things keep going smoothly agfailbgv, I'm so excited I can barely contain it!!!!!!!! I just want to thank everyone who helped out and all of the others who lent encouragement and support -- We could not have done it without you :)

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#19 Post by Zelan »

AHHHH THE DEMO IS ALMOST DONE!!

I'm so excited for you guys! You worked so hard to get this done. ^_^

Laera-chan
Regular
Projects: HeART Thief; Beauty and the Brothers: The Beginning; For Better or Worse; An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer
Organization: Moonlight Avenue, Inc.; Anomalis

#20 Post by Laera-chan »

We're working on the coding right now, but I'm with Mama J. We'll have this out by the deadline if it kills us! :lol: It probably won't, but hey. Nothing like a bit of drama at the last minute to up the anticipation! //shot

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#21 Post by Zelan »

If it does kill you, I promise I'll make you an Oregon Trail-esque tombstone. cx

Laera-chan
Regular
Projects: HeART Thief; Beauty and the Brothers: The Beginning; For Better or Worse; An Otaku's Guide to Santa's Reindeer
Organization: Moonlight Avenue, Inc.; Anomalis

#22 Post by Laera-chan »

Hey everyone! The Demo is out! Now, there are a few problems with a couple of things, but rest assured that we'll get it fixed! And soon. But if you want to play the demo that we have up, here it is! https://julienne-bitana.itch.io/for-better-or-worse

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#23 Post by Zelan »

Awwww yessss! I'm downloading it right now! ^_^

Mama J
Regular

#24 Post by Mama J »

Hey, hey pretty people! THE DEMO - the fixed version, hehe - is OUT AND AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD STOP READING AND GO OVER TO THIS PAGE RIGHT NOW

https://julienne-bitana.itch.io/for-better-or-worse

SERIOUSLY WHAT ARE YOU STILL DOING HERE

....... sorry for yelling but we're just *so* excited for y'all to see the updated version :lol: CG is fixed, the true end to the demo script thing is up, credits are up, like -- we could not have done it without the amazing person that is Valhalla (: Of course, Juliastorybored, Iceramyst, Nathan Ford, and Silveth all deserve a big and well-earned round of applause as well! It was an incredibly amazing two and a half weeks of making the game and setting everything up. We've had a great time with everyone.

ANYWAY, I'm blabbing away. So, yeah, if you could go and download and show support, give us critiques and suggestions, etc. that would be extremely helpful! Right now, we're in the process of making a Kickstarter to fund the rest of the game and as soon as that's done, we'll let you guys know! Thank you!!!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: [DEMO UP] For Better or Worse [GxB] [Romance]

#25 Post by Zelan »

Ahhhhhhh this was awesome! ^_^ The MC was super likable, I love how spunky she is. That cliffhanger at the end, though... whyyyyy would you do this to me? cx

That CG was super cute, props to Silveth for that. c: Speaking of art, Juliastorybored's sprites and Iceramsyst's backgrounds were amazing, too. And we already know how I feel about Valhalla's GUI. (If you don't - it's gorgeous.)

A few minor criticisms - I'm not a fan of the font for the textbox or for the choices. The choices font is really pretty (and matches the lovely GUI) but is hard to read - maybe if you could use a bolded version of that font? The textbox font was hard to read, too, especially the punctuation.

Lastly, typos, grammar, and spelling! I do this for pretty much every VN that I read, hehe. They should be in order, as long as I didn't mix any of the images up. There are screenshots of the game and then a note under each one. c:

PetPeeve
Regular
Tumblr: agamemakingblogforcoolkids

#26 Post by PetPeeve »

Hey guys! I love it, it's such a cute story so far, and I'm interested to see how things play out =)

Best of luck with the rest of the game =)
ImageImageImageImage

Mama J
Regular

#27 Post by Mama J »

Zelan wrote:Ahhhhhhh this was awesome! ^_^ The MC was super likable, I love how spunky she is. That cliffhanger at the end, though... whyyyyy would you do this to me? cx

That CG was super cute, props to Silveth for that. c: Speaking of art, Juliastorybored's sprites and Iceramsyst's backgrounds were amazing, too. And we already know how I feel about Valhalla's GUI. (If you don't - it's gorgeous.)

A few minor criticisms - I'm not a fan of the font for the textbox or for the choices. The choices font is really pretty (and matches the lovely GUI) but is hard to read - maybe if you could use a bolded version of that font? The textbox font was hard to read, too, especially the punctuation.

Lastly, typos, grammar, and spelling! I do this for pretty much every VN that I read, hehe. They should be in order, as long as I didn't mix any of the images up. There are screenshots of the game and then a note under each one. c:
Ahhhhhh thank you!! The MC's personality, I think, was a combination of both me and Laera's personalities, hehe. And yesss, the cliffhanger was specifically Laera's idea, just to pique people's interests for the full game ;) Blame her, I didn't do it!!1! :lol:
Oh my goodness, yes, Silveth, Juliastorybored, Iceramyst, and Valhalla were completely incredible at helping out on this project. Honestly, they were angels sent to us (: Just incredibly talented people; I definitely recommend them!

Thank you for the criticisms! Seems like you're not the only one who disliked the choice font -- I agree, though, it is hard to read, so I'll ask Valhalla to get going on that!
Omg, it's great that you're kind of helping out with editing and proofreading the typos, grammar, and spelling! And for every VN? wowowow! These will definitely come in handy, as soon as we start polishing things up, thank you :) And thanks again for the feedback!!
Hey guys! I love it, it's such a cute story so far, and I'm interested to see how things play out =)

Best of luck with the rest of the game =)
Hey! Thank you! Hopefully the rest of the game turns out good (:

keelan

#28 Post by keelan »

Mm hm~ The premise is totally my aesthetic! I've read two mangas that relate to temporary blindness + identity confusion, so I love it when I see more <3 Zelan said some of the things I wanted to say, but I added extra comments because emoootions.

Comments on the writing stuff are in this link because I did too much for it. Just corrections and nitpicks. Most of it is tense issues, so keep an eye out for those while editing out the script!

GUI STUFF
-Yep, the GUI and font are incredibly gorgeous. But yep, the font's also kinda hard to read. I think the buttons are a tad bit small, so anything with the GeosansLight font would be better if larger or bolded
-That being said, the options menu is sooo nice! I love the background image and the sliders. And I love the way the hover/chosen/unchosen buttons fit the colour scheme :D
-Possible addition: the 'filled' section of the slider should be a darker hue than the 'empty' section. E.g. if the music volume is at 60%, 60% of the slider is darker than the remaining 40% (if that makes sense?)
-White font on yellow(ish) backgrounds (sadly) make me squint. It's especially hard when the background isn't a black screen. You can see this in the 'are you sure you want to return/quit...' menus, the overwriting saves/loading files menus, and the save menu hover + any saved files ('Data:[date]'). Maybe change the font colour to black instead? Or emboss the text, like in the textbox? It'll still match the colour scheme!
-Interesting choice to show the buttons ribbon instead of directly showing the options menu when you right click. It's nothing major, but I wanted to point it out; it's quite the nice transition (and I can check the gallery in-game! that's awesome!)

ART STUFF
-Amazing job on the artwork! Everything looked spiffy and clean; compliments to the entire team! I don't quite have an eye for art, so I can't help with critiques, but there's an inconsistency with Ethan's mole showing in his sprite vs. not showing in the CG
-And if we want to be technical, Ethan's vest should also have a collar in the CG. But honestly, that's a very minor detail
-Also loving the 'unlock CG' thing on the main menu. That always gives a sense of accomplishment when you're finished with everything -u-

MUSIC STUFF
-Honestly, kudos to Nathan for all the tracks. I could probably keep them on loop for the rest of my life. Especially the main menu. That one's A+ and I love it to pieces

So yep, all in all, I'll be looking forward to the finished product! Count me in as another eager, waiting fan ;) Good luck, and keep it up!