Serment-Contract with a Devil [RPG/Dungeon Crawler/GxG/Demo]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Natalie
Projects: Serment - Contract with a Devil

Serment-Contract with a Devil [RPG/Dungeon Crawler/GxG/Demo]

#1 Post by Natalie »

Serment has been Greenlit :mrgreen: . You can still follow the game on Steam or Facebook. Multiple in-game screenshots and a gameplay video (including the battle system) are available on the Steam page.

Story

Serment - Contract with a Devil is a Visual Novel - Dungeon Crawler - Management Simulation hybrid coded in Ren'Py where you play as 1 of the 4 young and beautiful girls who recently died but is brought back to life by a devil (who also happens to be a young and beautiful girl).

Though, instead of claiming your ever so cliche human soul, the devil demands a huge sum of money for payment. You also learn of the dreadful fact that you will die again if the payment is not in time.

Can you make enough money in time to save your life?

Despite the premise sounding as dark as it is, most of the game will actually be light-hearted slice of life events.
Features

- Choose to play as 1 out of 4 main characters (named by players).

- All female characters (main and side).

- 3D first person perspective dungeon crawler.

- JRPG Classic turn-based Active Time Battles (Think Final Fantasy VII).

- Fishing, Cooking, Crafting minigames.

- Multiple difficulty options so anyone can enjoy the game.

- Potential GxG romance.

- Capitalism, ho!
Characters

Lucifer: The devil who revived our protagonist. One of the most powerful beings in the demon world, but that doesn't stop her from acting like a child sometimes.

Maria: Lucifer's assistant and also her best friend (though Lucifer doesn't want to admit it). An easygoing fairy who is a bit of an airhead.

Ninja: 1 of the 4 MCs. She enjoys freedom and usually just ends up doing whatever she wants without thinking about consequences.

Mercenary: 1 of the 4 MCs and the only one in the demo. Usually a rational girl unless money is involved since she loves money as much as her life. Imagine the horror when she find out about the contract :twisted:

Mage: 1 of the 4 MCs. A dependable girl who's both resourceful and responsible. However, she appears to be carrying a secret ...

Freelancer: The last of the 4 MCs. She is rather shy and lacks self-confidence, despite being a jack of all trades.
Credits

Sprite/ CG Artist: Estherfunworld (viewtopic.php?f=62&t=35918)

Background/ Sprite Artist: Thai Chau Studio (viewtopic.php?f=62&t=37615)

Chibi Artist: Rosuuri (Artist of The Human Reignition Project/ Highway Blossoms - http://rosuuri.deviantart.com)

Logo Artist: Atomic Invasion (viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33500)

GUI Artist: potouto (viewtopic.php?f=62&t=37313)

Animal Artist: ScentOfIvy aka RazzWings (http://razzwings.deviantart.com/)

Composer: Joshua1207 (viewtopic.php?f=65&t=28396)

Story writing and programming are done by our own team.
Demo

A demo can be downloaded here. The demo only has Mercenary as the main character and covers the game up to the first week. Playtime for the demo is approximately 1 hour.

The main reason I'm creating this thread is to let people know that our game exists, but our team is also interested in others' opinions, feedbacks and questions.

That said, here are some questions we have for you:

- Does the premise sound interesting to you?

- Which character design out of the 6 posted above is your favourite?

- Which kemonomimi (girl with animal ears or other features but not furry) would you like to see as a recruitable character in the game? Currently we only have Dolly the sheep girl in the demo(she's not colored yet):
Last edited by Natalie on Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:48 am, edited 4 times in total.

officeryou
Regular
Projects: Alpha's Adventures
Organization: Onee-sama Productions

Re: Serment-Contract with a Devil [RPG/Dungeon Crawler/GxG/D

#2 Post by officeryou »

- Does the premise sound interesting to you?

Very much so, I like that you avoided the typical cliche of taking souls as payment.

- Which character design out of the 6 posted above is your favourite?

I know she isn't part of the lineup but my favourite is Dolly. If not for her, Lucifer.

- Which kemonomimi (girl with animal ears or other features but not furry) would you like to see as a recruitable character in the game?

I would personally love to see a bat girl.

Natalie

#3 Post by Natalie »

officeryou wrote: - Which kemonomimi (girl with animal ears or other features but not furry) would you like to see as a recruitable character in the game?

I would personally love to see a bat girl.
A bat girl certainly sounds interesting :) We've already planned to have a vampire to be the girl related to bats, but more girls can't hurt anyone (except our budget :lol: )

Also, the demo version 1.01 is up. Changelog:

- Separated images/sound/script archives (for lighter future updates).

- Added colored versions of item shop background.

- Added a button in config menu to stop text skipping (pressing Ctrl will also have the same effect).

- Added quick slash sound effect for bird enemies.

- Fixed demo not ending properly on day 7.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#4 Post by Zelan »

I've always thought you can never go wrong with a catgirl - they're pretty recognizable. If you'd rather avoid more common animals, though, you could change things up a bit by making her mixed with some sort of wild cat - tiger, lynx, snow leopard, etc. There are a lot of possibilities there. ^_^

If you'd rather skip the cats entirely, a mouse, rat, rabbit, and/or squirrel would be awesome. (I really like rodents ok)

If I can find some time to play the demo I'll give you guys my feedback on that as well. c:

Natalie

#5 Post by Natalie »

We will definitely have a feline girl, although she won't be a normal cat :wink: Also, a rabbit girl sounds adorable!
Zelan wrote: If I can find some time to play the demo I'll give you guys my feedback on that as well. c:
That would be awesome 8)

And Dolly is now colored, but she's not going to be in the demo until the next update (which will be a massive patch):

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Zelan »

Awww, Dolly's cute. ^_^

I was wondering, did you get her name from Dolly the sheep, the first animal to be cloned, or is that just a coincidence?

Natalie

#7 Post by Natalie »

Yup, her name was indeed taken from the famous sheep Dolly :wink:

Some UI previews for the next update (credits to potouto):

Config screen

Load screen (side image will change according to chosen class)

Natalie

#8 Post by Natalie »

Dungeon update coming soon 8)

https://youtu.be/PxUy2SWPxtI

I have no idea how to embed the video :oops:

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Zelan »

I would be totally okay with it if you left that chibi image in for the walls. cx

Natalie

#10 Post by Natalie »

Just a quick update, Serment has just been Greenlit on Steam :o :mrgreen: ! A huge thanks to everyone for your support.
Follow Serment (JRPG dungeon crawler/Visual Novel hybrid) on Steam!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Zelan »

Natalie wrote:Just a quick update, Serment has just been Greenlit on Steam :o :mrgreen: ! A huge thanks to everyone for your support.
Wow, that's awesome to hear! ^_^ I'm happy for you guys.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Zelan »

Hey there! I just got done playing the demo! (I love the beginning. cx) It was pretty fun! I enjoyed myself playing through it, and I loved the characters, especially Lucifer. I never did get to see Dolly - how do you find her?

A bug that I did find with my game - the options on the side of the menu did not appear (Back, Party, Status, etc). This led to me being unable to enter the dungeons one day because my characters were hungry and I couldn't feed them.

The fishing minigame was overly difficult, but I think you guys are already aware of that judging by your Steam update.

I also made it to Floor 2 in the dungeon, but I couldn't start from there after I'd discovered it. Is this intentional or a bug?

The last thing that I didn't like was that you could only save when at home. It would be much more convenient to be able to save at any time during the game.

I had a lot of fun playing, though, and I can't wait to see the other three playable characters! ^_^

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#13 Post by Morhighan »

This seems very cute!
I can't wait to try out the demo.
I wish you luck!

Natalie

#14 Post by Natalie »

Morhighan wrote:This seems very cute!
I can't wait to try out the demo.
I wish you luck!
Thanks a lot!
Zelan wrote:Hey there! I just got done playing the demo! (I love the beginning. cx) It was pretty fun! I enjoyed myself playing through it, and I loved the characters, especially Lucifer. I never did get to see Dolly - how do you find her?

A bug that I did find with my game - the options on the side of the menu did not appear (Back, Party, Status, etc). This led to me being unable to enter the dungeons one day because my characters were hungry and I couldn't feed them.

The fishing minigame was overly difficult, but I think you guys are already aware of that judging by your Steam update.

I also made it to Floor 2 in the dungeon, but I couldn't start from there after I'd discovered it. Is this intentional or a bug?

The last thing that I didn't like was that you could only save when at home. It would be much more convenient to be able to save at any time during the game.

I had a lot of fun playing, though, and I can't wait to see the other three playable characters! ^_^
Thanks! To view Dolly's events, you have to defeat a few sheep in battle, although the game will unfortunately crash when you get to recruit her :( This has been fixed in update 1.02, though.

You can press Esc or simply right-click from day 3 onward to view the menu options. We will put a more detailed tutorial in the beta to explain all available hotkeys, since we missed out some in the current demo.

There's a waypoint close to the stairs on Floor 2, you can enter the dungeon from Floor 2 after activating it :wink:

Unfortunately, being able to save at any time will cause a few bugs due to how Ren'Py works, and break some game balance, so that's a no-go :(

Also, update 1.02 has been released.
The changelog:

- Replaced several placeholder UI elements (main menu, config screen, save/load screen, choice options, textbox, etc).

- Dungeon rework: Walking animations and footsteps sound are now present. "Go home" button moved to the large minimap screen (opened by pressing "Tab" or "m" inside dungeon). Dungeon resolutions can be adjusted in the game options.

- Fixed the game crashing after defeating Dolly in battle.

- Replaced some current soundtracks and added a fishing theme.

- Skipping is now stopped at the start of battles (Players can still re-toggle skipping by pressing Tab or holding Ctrl).

- Changed some game dialogues.

- Players can now use their own picture (recommended 4:3 ratio) as dungeon walls simply by replacing the file "wall.png" inside Serment's game folder.

- Added colored sprites for Dolly.

1.02 will be the last Alpha release of Serment, the next version will be a Beta with full gameplay features (which is estimated to be ready around February 2017).

Last but not least, we are very happy to announce that Serment will be fully funded and officially published by Sekai Project 8) .
Follow Serment (JRPG dungeon crawler/Visual Novel hybrid) on Steam!