REVAMPED! - The Vampire's Call [Supernatural, Comedy] [GxG/B]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Smudgeed
Regular
itch: smud

REVAMPED! - The Vampire's Call [Supernatural, Comedy] [GxG/B]

#1 Post by Smudgeed »

Genres: Romance, Supernatural, Fantasy, Comedy, Drama
Rating (16+): Death, Blood, Suggestive themes, Heavily implied sex (this can be turned off), Crude humour, Partial nudity
Updates: Updated progress, added screenshots to top of post, updated story summary, changed character information to show in-game sprites.
ImageImage
Life is great; you’re rich, attractive, powerful and you have great shoes. But your world shatters when your father falls ill, too ill to get any better.
His dying wish is to see you happily married and while you don’t want to oblige, you do want to make the man who's given you everything happy.
A landslide traps you in your castle with a bunch of idiots on what should have been a holiday. You're a resourceful vampire though, and you figure
that instead of dressing up a broom to pose as your husband, you can just use one of these oddly attractive plebeians. And they're stuck with you! How great.

One thing leads to another and you have good reason to believe that there's a little more to your father's illness...and your fake spouse.

Image Image
ImageImage

• COMPLETELY FREE TO PLAY!
  • 4 romancable characters (2 male, 2 female) + 2 secret options
  • light-hearted fun
  • Mystery!! Jokes!! Beach fun!! Lots of pretending to be married to eachother!!
  • 1 main romantic ending per character with lots of variation
  • Other "gag" endings
  • No "bad" endings
  • Game fully outlined.
  • GUI And Coding: 0%
  • Sprites: 50%
  • Script: 0%
Hey, I'd like to know what you think so far! Let me know if you have any questions, comments or concerns!
Which love interest sounds like your favorite so far?
What would you be interested in seeing explored in this story?
Is there anything you'd like to learn more about?
Do you have any suggestions?

Let me know what you think :) have a great day and thank you for reading!
Last edited by Smudgeed on Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:24 am, edited 36 times in total.

potouto
Veteran
Projects: (งツ)ว
Organization: MOONBBIT☆

Re: The Vampire's Call [Supernatural, Romance, Comedy] [GxG/

#2 Post by potouto »

plops in Scarecrow husband.
I, uh, I'm very intrigued by this. Very. Other than that, from the synopsis, for some reason, I think the father is feigning it but just my idea of a joke. Needless to say, the cast looks plenty charming. I would love some lighthearted comedy and I certainly don't mind dark humour if there's any. I hope the game will retain the gag sense of romance even until the endings : O

I would certainly play this when it comes out, honestly, I will try to keep an eye on this whenever I can. Why does Brett's name sound like Bread Cake. Hope we can see his daughter as well, and an ending for marrying the scarecrow maybe. I would like to know more about how these characters all end up here in the castle, more about the characters in general since the cast seem really interesting! I would say Bread and Maria are my favourites for the moment, hope I will be to grow on other characters as well C:

And certainly! I don't a story writing in 2nd PoV, if I do mind, I wouldn't play any Choice of Games and I happen to have a lot of those. Good luck with the game!! Bye bye, now!! runs away, waving excitedly

yeah well | commission | website

bellice
Veteran

#3 Post by bellice »

Pretty sure I keep saying this about every game of yours, but: Yes. Yes to all of this.

As for the game being written in 2nd person: I usually prefer first person narratives in visual novels, but I don't mind.

Spacefur
Regular
Tumblr: studio-meh

#4 Post by Spacefur »

Does this sound like a game you'd play?
Hell yes!
Who sounds the most interesting?
Brett is my type (helloooo single father with a nice beard) but werewolves are my favorite monsters, especially when they're girls so Maria sounds pretty cool.
Is there anything you'd like to see? Anything you'd like to know more about?
I very interested in the world that game's set in. Is there more species? Is the royalty always vampires? Are vampire scared of sunlight? If so, is there a human day court, as opposed to the vampire night court? Can vampires have children or do they need to, like... pick urchins off the street and bite them?
So yeah, I'd be very interested to know more about that.
I'm planning on writing this game in 2nd person, in a similar style that the above descriptions are written in. Would you be interested in a story written in that way?
I generally like 1st person better because I've issues with putting myself in the shoes of a character I'm too different from, but I've also played 2nd person games and greatly enjoyed them so...

Smudgeed
Regular

#5 Post by Smudgeed »

potouto wrote:plops in Scarecrow husband.
I, uh, I'm very intrigued by this. Very. Other than that, from the synopsis, for some reason, I think the father is feigning it but just my idea of a joke. Needless to say, the cast looks plenty charming. I would love some lighthearted comedy and I certainly don't mind dark humour if there's any. I hope the game will retain the gag sense of romance even until the endings : O

I would certainly play this when it comes out, honestly, I will try to keep an eye on this whenever I can. Why does Brett's name sound like Bread Cake. Hope we can see his daughter as well, and an ending for marrying the scarecrow maybe. I would like to know more about how these characters all end up here in the castle, more about the characters in general since the cast seem really interesting! I would say Bread and Maria are my favourites for the moment, hope I will be to grow on other characters as well C:

And certainly! I don't a story writing in 2nd PoV, if I do mind, I wouldn't play any Choice of Games and I happen to have a lot of those. Good luck with the game!! Bye bye, now!! runs away, waving excitedly
You know fun fact about the dark humour is that I found out that I naturally use it haha So there will probably be a bit! The "main" endings (the ones for each character) would probably be a bit more serious in nature simply because that is something I want to play around with and test myself by trying to write something that is comedic yet serious, if that makes any sense. I was thinking of adding in gag endings which won't be srs and you've definitely helped convinced me of it :')

BREAD CAKE!! that's actually what I was going for haha, I'm glad someone noticed! :) You'll definitely see his daughter and YEP, 100% there will be an ending for the scarecrow. He's the best husband :') And as for WHY they're all in the castle well that's explained in-game but generally Erik is there to help heal the father, Maria is there to see the father before he dies, Sylvia and Brett are there for MYSTERIOUS reasons (well, Sylvia isn't very mysterious but you get the point lol).

Thank you for stopping by!
bellice wrote:Pretty sure I keep saying this about every game of yours, but: Yes. Yes to all of this.

As for the game being written in 2nd person: I usually prefer first person narratives in visual novels, but I don't mind.
You do but I love it every time :')

Ah, that's interesting. I don't mind changing the perspective to 1st person (since I see it tends to be more common as well) but I find I'm a better writer in the 2nd person and I feel more comfortable with it. As long as people don't mind then I think I'll stick with it since it is something I'd like to try out! Thanks for checking this game out too, Bellice!
Spacefur wrote: Hell yes!

Brett is my type (helloooo single father with a nice beard) but werewolves are my favorite monsters, especially when they're girls so Maria sounds pretty cool.

I very interested in the world that game's set in. Is there more species? Is the royalty always vampires? Are vampire scared of sunlight? If so, is there a human day court, as opposed to the vampire night court? Can vampires have children or do they need to, like... pick urchins off the street and bite them?
So yeah, I'd be very interested to know more about that.

I generally like 1st person better because I've issues with putting myself in the shoes of a character I'm too different from, but I've also played 2nd person games and greatly enjoyed them so...
I'm glad people seem to like Brett! And Maria too. They're both very fun to write :)

Ah, that's an interesting point. I never know how much lore to put into something because while I go crazy for lore (I love reading it and I always have sheets and sheets of world building for all my stories) I know some people tend to be disinterested. With supernatural genres everyone always has different interpretations of vampires or werewolves so I personally think it's important for me to explain in-game how this differs from other interpretations. Most of what you've asked is explained in-game because it's a point that I feel is important for players to know but I'll answer them quickly and non-spoilery! Yes, there are other species. They are not as big as the ones here (Vampire, Werewolf, Warlock/Witch) and play more of a comedic role. I wanted to keep the game short so I have to hold myself back from adding in some other big ones ahhhhh. The main character is vampire royalty, which is to say that her royal title is useless because it's only acknowledged by ancient vampires. That point is better explain in-game lol. These vampires are immune to sunlight ; ) Vampires cannot have children of their own because they are dead. However there is this sort of magical surrogacy that they can use to have children. I don't really explain this process in-game but the MC is born of it, as most higher-status vampires are. Usually though they do just pick urchins off the streets or adopt. If I have the time, I'd love to add in a little lore/extras book for the people who like to know this stuff!

I figure that might be an issue with the game, since the main character has a very strong personality and it's a personality that's pretty out there too. I would like players to be able to put themselves in the shoes of the Main Character but I know it might be harder to do so I'm aiming for just having them relate/feel connected to the main character. I'll try 2nd person out and see how that works, it won't be too hard to rewrite it to 1st person if it works better! Thanks for stopping by and commenting <3
Last edited by Smudgeed on Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chocoberrie
Veteran
Projects: Marshmallow Days

#6 Post by chocoberrie »

Most definitely, this sounds like an awesome game! The characters are indeed charming - I found myself laughing when reading their descriptions! Definitely looking forward to playing this :D
Hmmm... I'd have to say Erik! His description reminds me a bit of Gilderoy Lockhart, because he says he's talented and he's arrogant - that'll definitely make for some hilarious character interactions! XD (And I'd also like to know if he's got any ulterior motives... he's been hired to help MC's dad, but is he really interested in that?)
I'm planning on writing this game in 2nd person, in a similar style that the above descriptions are written in. Would you be interested in a story written in that way?
I don't really mind the 2nd person POV writing - it's refreshing!
I'm curious to know more about the MC's situation - if her father is dying, will she be taking the "throne" in his place? Does she want to, or is she not interested in it at all (rather do her own things)? @spacefur brings up great questions; I'd like to know the answers to those as well!

Smudgeed
Regular

#7 Post by Smudgeed »

chocoberrie wrote: Most definitely, this sounds like an awesome game! The characters are indeed charming - I found myself laughing when reading their descriptions! Definitely looking forward to playing this :D

Hmmm... I'd have to say Erik! His description reminds me a bit of Gilderoy Lockhart, because he says he's talented and he's arrogant - that'll definitely make for some hilarious character interactions! XD (And I'd also like to know if he's got any ulterior motives... he's been hired to help MC's dad, but is he really interested in that?)

I don't really mind the 2nd person POV writing - it's refreshing!

I'm curious to know more about the MC's situation - if her father is dying, will she be taking the "throne" in his place? Does she want to, or is she not interested in it at all (rather do her own things)? @spacefur brings up great questions; I'd like to know the answers to those as well!
Yay! I'm glad you laughed :')

Erik is very full of himself. Yes, he "says" lmao. Also I've never seen or read Harry Potter but I'll look him up! Can't tell you if he has any ulterior motives because...spoilers...but I love that you're already wondering about that!

Yes well, I'll be sticking to the 2nd person then, hopefully it works well. As for the MC and the "throne", she's not very interested in actual responsibility but depending on choices and how the player wants to play out the game what she does with the throne changes : ) Thank you for your comment and interest!

IN OTHER NEWS:

I've decided to get the GUI done as quickly as I can, I'm making it simple so it's easier for me to do and also gets done quicker. Hopefully it won't look too bad! Usually getting the art assets out of the way first makes it easier for me to write haha

So I've done the Main Menu. The characters become colourful when you beat their main ending (Brett will be a bit hard to see but you can still tell if he's coloured in or not, if not you can check the 'extras" page to see the endings!). To demonstrate there's Sylvia.

ImageImage

Also I found an OLD OLD OLD concept sketch of Brett (back when I wanted him to be a werewolf). Should I bring the silver strands of hair back? I'm leaning towards not doing it but...who knows
Attachments
nvas.png

Spacefur
Regular
Tumblr: studio-meh

#8 Post by Spacefur »

Yay for lore! I'm a sucker for worldbuilding but yeah, I do understand what you mean. Not every player will be interested in fantasy economy and politics.
Also I found an OLD OLD OLD concept sketch of Brett (back when I wanted him to be a werewolf). Should I bring the silver strands of hair back? I'm leaning towards not doing it but...who knows
I like him the way he is right now because his "normalness" is kind off his good point and the white strand make him more "special" and as such, stand out less amongst the others? Does that make sense?
Last edited by Spacefur on Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#9 Post by Zelan »

Spacefur wrote:Yay for lore! I'm a sucker for worldbuilding but yeah, I do understand what you mean. Not every player will be interested in fantasy economy and politics.
I like him the way he is right now because his "normalness" is kind off his good point and the white strand make him more "special" and as such, stand ou less amongst the others? Does that make sense?
^^I agree with both of the things that Spacefur says

to be honest bro you had me at "you have great shoes." I am a total sucker for witty writing.

I like all of that characters (they're all very unique!) so I don't think I can actually pick a favorite right now. cx

Smudgeed
Regular

#10 Post by Smudgeed »

Spacefur wrote:Yay for lore! I'm a sucker for worldbuilding but yeah, I do understand what you mean. Not every player will be interested in fantasy economy and politics.
I like him the way he is right now because his "normalness" is kind off his good point and the white strand make him more "special" and as such, stand ou less amongst the others? Does that make sense?
Another yay for lore! I love world building too! I'll have to leave out all the intricate world-building details but I'll stick in a little lore thing in the extras so my 20+ pages of world building don't go to complete waste :')

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense! The reason I changed him to human from werewolf is because is character/romance is meant to be "normal". He's supposed to be the sort of down-to-earth, everyday kind of guy so I'll leave his hair the way it is. Thank you for the input! It was very helpful :)
Zelan wrote:
^^I agree with both of the things that Spacefur says

to be honest bro you had me at "you have great shoes." I am a total sucker for witty writing.

I like all of that characters (they're all very unique!) so I don't think I can actually pick a favorite right now. cx
Haha I'm glad you like it! I'm also glad you like all the characters too! I also like them all :') Thanks for stopping by and commenting ;)

ANOTHER UPDATE (I should probably do all these at once but....):

Made a mock-up for the options page (it just needs to be coded in). Went over my outline and realized there was a quite a bit of planned suggestive content (and a strange nude beach scene), so I made those optional for players that might not want it.

Made a mock-up for the endings screen (which can be reached from the extras page). They become purple as you unlock them, as shown with "The Bridebroom". The endings on the left side (The bridebroom, Straw Heart...) are 100% going to be in the game (ignore the strange puns, they have nothing to do with the ending I just wanted to make some bad puns lmao). The right-hand side is not really confirmed, but I'm playing with the idea of them. Might add more or get rid of some!

Hope you're all having a wonderful day!

VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

#11 Post by VocaloidsRCool »

Definitely! It sounds intriguing, silly, fun, and seems like something I would enjoy. Plus, it's a free otome game, so why would I pass it up? XD

Erik Spellman. "Listen Princess, I don't make mistakes. Except for that one time with the sponges." Just that one line aroused my curiosity, making me want to know more about him. Plus, he's pretty attractive.

I like seeing people hold hands in games with any romance, and give gifts to each other. Kiss scenes would be cute as well. I would like to know more about Erik, but I can wait for the game to avoid spoilers.

Keep up the good work! I know this will be an amazing game~ :)

Smudgeed
Regular

#12 Post by Smudgeed »

VocaloidsRCool wrote:Does this sound like a game you'd play?

Definitely! It sounds intriguing, silly, fun, and seems like something I would enjoy. Plus, it's a free otome game, so why would I pass it up? XD

Erik Spellman. "Listen Princess, I don't make mistakes. Except for that one time with the sponges." Just that one line aroused my curiosity, making me want to know more about him. Plus, he's pretty attractive.

I like seeing people hold hands in games with any romance, and give gifts to each other. Kiss scenes would be cute as well. I would like to know more about Erik, but I can wait for the game to avoid spoilers.

Keep up the good work! I know this will be an amazing game~ :)
Hey! Thank you :) I'm glad you like Erik, just for you I made a quick little beach sketch thing of him

I'm glad someone else likes hand holding :) Yes, there will be some in the game along with kisses and gifts :') I can tell you that Erik gives AMAZING presents (which is to say that he's dumb and bad at it but he tries hard). And thank you! I hope it'll be a good game! I'm working as hard as I can on it but it will be my first game so I'll have a lot to learn.

And then there's another beach sketch of Sylvia that no one asked for but we are all getting anyway. Hopefully this will entice some vocal Sylvia fans to emerge lmao
The blonde haired, blue eyed, forever grumpy and totally-not-trying-to-kill-the-main-character girl is going to be written first, because she's fresh in my mind.

VocaloidsRCool
Veteran

#13 Post by VocaloidsRCool »

OMG, I LOVE that drawing of him! Thank you so much! <3

I find hand holding to be really cute, and I'm glad you also like it~ I'm sure I will love whatever Erik gives me. :)

I'm sure that you will make a great game. Just keep putting your heart into it, and things will go well. I already love what I see so far, and I know I will love the finished product.

bellice
Veteran

#14 Post by bellice »

Hey now, I'm totally digging Sylvia. And Maria. It's gonna be really hard to choose between the two of them, I can already tell. Let's just hope none of the guys steal my heart away too, or I'm never gonna figure out who to go for first. (Hate/Love with the vampire hunter? The shy werewolf cutie? How DARE you make me choose??)

Smudgeed
Regular

#15 Post by Smudgeed »

VocaloidsRCool wrote:OMG, I LOVE that drawing of him! Thank you so much! <3

I find hand holding to be really cute, and I'm glad you also like it~ I'm sure I will love whatever Erik gives me. :)

I'm sure that you will make a great game. Just keep putting your heart into it, and things will go well. I already love what I see so far, and I know I will love the finished product.
You're welcome <3

Thank you for the encouraging words! I am pouring my heart into it, so I hope it does go well haha
bellice wrote:Hey now, I'm totally digging Sylvia. And Maria. It's gonna be really hard to choose between the two of them, I can already tell. Let's just hope none of the guys steal my heart away too, or I'm never gonna figure out who to go for first. (Hate/Love with the vampire hunter? The shy werewolf cutie? How DARE you make me choose??)
Obviously I'm trying to make you open up two windows of the game to romance both Sylvia and Maria AT THE SAME TIME. Open 4 windows and ROMANCE THEM ALL. But I'm glad you like them both :') If I were playing I actually don't know how I'd pick either

--
I tackled 1 CG. Now I'm not an artist (though I am a lot better than I was before) and certainly no background artist, but I think it doesn't look that bad :') I won't post up all the CGs but I think these beach ones are okay to and it's so hot outside over here that both drawing and posting them helps me stay cool lol

Back to the GUI I go. The goal is to get it all done today. I might not be able to do the textbox today because that always takes me a very long time to do but the rest of the GUI should be done and coded in :) Hope you all have a good day!