(18+) Red Eyes In The Darkness- The tainted blood - Chimaera

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Red eyes in the darkness

Re: (18+) Red Eyes In The Darkness- The tainted blood - Chimaera

#31 Post by Ryue »

So October update time:

As mentioned last time I tried to find a good date for the demo release. As it stands (thanks to a few inputs from some betas and my job workload) I will go with May there to be on the safe side (better to release earlier than later).

As for the other progress:
While designing the hobby pathes one alpha mentioned that the difference between basic and advanced hobbies is too large (the difference that basic don't have a direct speech / full story part but the advanced hobbies have). Thus I decided to also make the basic hobbies full VN pathes, but still not as large as the advanced hobbies parts.

Thus the main difference is now that the advanced hobby pathes are larger and have more decisions AND even when you decide to do something you can fail at that when you are following an advanced hobby path.

As for the complexity I think it is best to showcase one part of a basic hobby.
For this I'll showcase the Sports basic hobby. It has one general part and then a decision which splits the path into 3 subpathes. The showcase shows one of these 3 subpathes (and the names of the other 3).

Martin126

#32 Post by Martin126 »

This seems so interesting, please continue your work!

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran

#33 Post by Ryue »

Martin126 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:43 pm This seems so interesting, please continue your work!
Hi thanks for the post just saw it.
I'm still continuing. The main problem is that I had to give up on hiring writers (either they disappeared, dropped out or it was too complicated for them).
Thus I'm doing the writing myself and using the help of an editor to get things right.

I wanted to post thus when I am sure about some sort of time table (as currently I'm completely unsure on how much I can do in what amount of time as it varies greatly with a few projects running at my job. But in a month I hope that I'm more sure on what I can accomplish in what timeframe.

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#34 Post by AntiquedFae »

Stopping by to give my support as well! I have been silently stalking this since the thread was made and it's still one of the games I'm most looking forward to playing! I am thrilled to know it is still in progress! And sorry about your trouble with writers. Best wishes writing it yourself!
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran

#35 Post by Ryue »

AntiquedFae wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:59 pm Stopping by to give my support as well! I have been silently stalking this since the thread was made and it's still one of the games I'm most looking forward to playing! I am thrilled to know it is still in progress! And sorry about your trouble with writers. Best wishes writing it yourself!
Thanks. I hope I am able to see soon how fast things go.

On another note I'm currently testing pathfinder 2 (playtest version) instead of pathfinder (and a second system) for the rpg part.

Martin126

#36 Post by Martin126 »

If you release your Demo don't forget to advertise on many platforms and create a Patreon account. Seeing how dead this thread is makes me sad :/

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran

#37 Post by Ryue »

So has been a while since my last post....A lot of things happened and saly also quite a lot that didn't go as I had expected or hoped.
Some things didn't work out as planed, then I had a few beta testers who tried to protect me and said game parts were good
instead of as bad, ... then a few persons I hired for things dropping out, ... .

All in all it lead to me diong rewrite after rewrite and treading on the same spot for a long time. That is when I decided to take a time out (a few months) and experiment a bit while trying to analyze the underlying problems (no sense in eliminating the things I see, when the underlying problem is still there and causing more and more problems).

The main problems were that first I tried to make things too perfect, then second that I planed things in too large parts, so that even a small change because a beta found something not too good resulted in me rewriting almost a whole chapter. And then I had some problems visualizing the storyparts. I need exactly that to be able to create a good story, but failed at that. Still though I missed something....which I found out was that I needed to see some things like a map to be able to visualize things in my head. And last but not least I desparately tried to only have to use the art I already have, while still having to rewrite things time and again and changing parts of the storyline time and again.... which lead to me running circles too.

When I took my outtime I found the above problems and tried to find a way to eliminate them....which I did....in an I think unusual way, but what works works :)

So what do I do differently now?
1.) I split up every chapter in multiple scenes as before, but instead of staying there I'm splitting that up into the events themselves. Where each event is only a SMALL part of the chapter, and not spanning a quarter or half a chapter as before.
2.) I got myself a beta I trust to not try to not hurt my feelings (and instead telling me te truth even if painful).
3.) I got a few ppl who help me in my attempts to control my perfectionism.

Those 3 should eliminate most of the basic problems...including the rewrites (thus if something is bad I only need to rewrite a small part of the chapter instead of the whole chapter or even the game).

A 4th pointis also there, which took me the longest time to decide upon. In order to get rid of the visualization problems (and also being able to see how the game would pan out without having to do placeholders or waiting for atists time and again) I'm creating the game 2 times parallel with 2 engines. First the map design and prototyping with RPG maker and then the final game with renpy.
(despite it being called a prototype its still a full fledged game, only that I use that to move parts around as I need the map creation tools there and the event system there works well into the 1. solution point). Despite that as mentioned I still am doing the game ALSO in renpy.

So how will it work?
I'm doing the maps and the first version of a chapter with RPGmaker. Then after some testing I'm going to transfer it to renpy.

With my current working schedule (for my job) in mind I think the following plan is now realistic:
1.) Finishing the first chapter till june / july in rpgmaker
2.) Transfering the first chapter to renpy and programming in the full rpg system for the first demo till november
(this takes into account that the full fledged pathfinder 2nd edition only comes out in august and only then I can
do the final classes,...).

Its way later than I had originally expected (wanted to have it all up and running in Q1 2019 but with the setbacks I suffered I'm happy that I found a solid grounding again at all).

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran

#38 Post by Ryue »

As a bit of more info there:
Chapter 1 is set in the near future with the protagonist trying to escape from the already destroyed city. The chapter is there to show what the situation is in the aftermath of the outbreak, and also to show off a few powers of the protagonist (that he can gain). Furthermore it shall set the mood and show that yo uwill have to make hard decisions and some even hurting ones.

It starts with the first scene: Escape from the city sewer
Then starts the second scene: The forest / the army camp (Depending on your actions most of this scene can be circumvented).
And ends with: A discussion with a god

At the end of this chapter you will get into the main game. The main game is then so to say a flashback that happens at the end of the last scene in chapter 1. And thus the end of the game will continue where Chapter 1 ends.

The first scene contains 3 major events and a handful minor events:
Fights:
Enemies here are mostly some infected rats. It is mostly there so that you get used to the fighting mechanics.

Major events:
The major events here are mostly there to show off a few mechanics to players and also to introduce them to harsh decisions to be made AND that you are no longer a human being at this stage of the game.
  • The bomb: Here you encounter a sensor triggered bomb. Depending on your skill roll you get surprised by it....or you manage to see it in time and can decide if you want to warn the other survivors or just try to get to the exit.
  • The shot child: You stumble upon a GEN-Tech security / Riversend cop who is shooting at a lone survivor believing the child to be infected. You get a few decisions here. Foremost if you help the child or ignore it. Then what you do with the security guy and what you do about the child which was severly wounded by him before you could take action.
  • The exit: This event showcases a bit your non mortal side. A steel gate is blocking the way to the outside. You can either rip it apart, or you can try to open it with a keycard that you can get in a minor event.

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran

#39 Post by Ryue »

Prototype
Chapter 1 - Scene 1: Finished all major events. Currently working on a few minor events.

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran

#40 Post by Ryue »

Prototype:
Chapter 1 Scene one (the sewers) is now complete sans a minor event where other survivors fighting for their survival can be heard on an communications device.

AntiquedFae
Veteran

#41 Post by AntiquedFae »

Nice to hear from you again. Major congratulations on sticking with this through the many troubles that come from game development--especially one as complex and sizeable as this! I'm really sorry for what happened with your beta testers. It sounds like you have someone already, but if you'd like another set of eyes going over it and you feel you can trust me, I'd love to help with this. I can send you a list of my references if you would like, if you're ever interested.

Otherwise, I wish you the very best in continuing on with dev of this gem and I am looking so maddeningly forward to playing it!
You can call me Fae!
I offer proofreading and ideabouncing. You can find out more in my thread.

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran

#42 Post by Ryue »

Hi
Thanks.
Writing you a pm today.

So a small status update: I've done a bit of cleanup in the sewers part and looks nice now.
Currently I'm working on the forest part while preparing to translate the sewage part - rpgmaker text into VN text.

Forest
I just finished the map itself (thus the layout).
Currently planing on where on the map which event happens. Contentwise it will be larger than the sewers as you also have quite a few npcs that you can talk to.
Planwise I will go at it step by step. Thus starting with a few minor events right where you start at the map and then going from there towards the major events on the map.

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran

#43 Post by Ryue »

So things are continuing here. So far things are going as planed :)

While my alpha testers tested the game parts done so far they found a few things that I needed to change. Additionally I did add a few things to make the environment feel more alife.

Sewers
-Added a few things (papers, ...) swimming through the sewers.
-Corrected 1 "Mob" spawning the wrong type of enemy.

Forest
-Added a few things swimming out of the sewers and towards the sea.
-Added minor events (jumping from a cliff and using ones supernatural powers to get back up again, looking at the destroyed city and finding out one is not alone in the forest).

Additionally I'm constantly testing the rpg rules and developing them so that I can put them into the game later on.

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran

#44 Post by Ryue »

So a few things are done more need to be done for the rpg version of the demo being finally finished and the renpy version able to be started.

Forest
-First of three main events finished. It is about
a soldier getting in the way of the MC. The other two are about a temporary military encampement outside of the city and meeting a god.
Whats next
Planing wise I'm going to finish the remaining two main events of the forest, and adding aa couple of more minor events there. And then I'm revamping the combat system of rpgmaker so that I have a pathfinder like combat. After that the demo is done and I can start with the renpy version of the whole thing. On the sidelines I'm going to look for more alpha/beta testers for the demo to find any logical errors.

Also for the renpy version I will tread along the same path: First story, then the rpg system, THEN graphics (GUI, ...) and music. That way I maximize the possible productivity while reducing the risk (especially to my purse) to a mere minimum.

Ryue
Miko-Class Veteran

#45 Post by Ryue »

So the rpg version of the demo is finished for now.
3 different locations:
1.) Sewers
(Where you see that the MC is not mortal any longer, and just how bad GEN-Tech is)
2.) Forest
(You see here how powerful GEN-tech is...thus whom it has under control and see a bit more of your own powers)
3.) Sea of Souls
(where you talk with a god and decide to tell him your story....aka the maingame)