My first Ren'Py

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
3dmasons

My first Ren'Py

#1 Post by 3dmasons »

Thought I would say hello to the community and developers of Ren'Py. This is my first Ren'Py, I was tasked to style the GUI for an upcoming novel game, and it's been very interesting working with the engine. Sort of slow grasping but I need to sit down and read more about the Python language.

I created a video to show a preview to my client and thought I would share my WIP.
https://youtu.be/_Fg9oBrGV6M

Thanks for the help along the way.

TheSweetestNightmare
Regular
Completed: None
Projects: The Catalyst(Failed Attempt), Heart of the Ocean

Re: My first Ren'Py

#2 Post by TheSweetestNightmare »

Wow, you're good! I love the old, worn frame around the edge of the menus. It's a simple design but it sets the atmosphere for a story that takes place in the past. (Or at least that's when I assume it takes place) Also, I like the subtle button press sound. Something like that wouldn't clash with any menu music if there is any planned, and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb when it's silent.
-Sincerely, Faith

3dmasons

Re: My first Ren'Py

#3 Post by 3dmasons »

Hey, thanks a lot, Sweetest Nightmare.

Actually the clicking sounds is the program I used to record the window and I didn't even realize I had the setting enabled from doing tutorial videos. Even though a mistake, you are correct, I like how the click sound gives it more style, but in the end it isn't my call on design decisions with the GUI. I believe they will be providing the sounds and music.

You are also correct, this visual novel is based in the 1800's and the attempt is to give the immersion of the old West. As far as I know about the story, it is entirely based on actual history, will include historical documents, and overall sounds like it will be a great story to read.

Thank you for your reply and comments. It is greatly appreciated.