Welcome to Intergalactic High! [BxG][VN/RPG][Sci-fi][2018]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
SypherZent
Veteran
Completed: Multiverse Heroes, Space Hamster in Turmoil

Re: Welcome to Intergalactic High! [BxG][VN/RPG][Sci-fi][Fre

#16 Post by SypherZent »

Crucifixian wrote:Yo, I'm seeing you are posting a lot on this forum!

Hope the electricity issue works out back home.

Hope to here a lot more from you. Pls don't burn out.

Rival.

:twisted: :twisted: :lol: :D
Haha, thanks! Today was a 'no internet' day, but I'm hoping they have everything resolved by Monday.
I was able to get a lot done, as my electricity has held up thankfully!

So far so good, though!
Not planning on burning out anytime soon, so should see me around often. :D
Creator of Multiverse Heroes & Space Hamster in Turmoil

Want me to code your game?
Check my services thread!

SypherZent
Veteran

#17 Post by SypherZent »

Added Class Day video preview!

Please note, the Main Characters do not yet have sprites, and their names are not displayed at this time, though their expressions are already planned for this scene.

The writing will also be further polished after Quality Assurance phase.

This specific playthrough demonstrates how the player can avoid interaction with a romantic interest (if pursuing a romantic interest is not desired) as well as not answering the class question, while still receiving important information and remaining psychologically neutral.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#18 Post by Zelan »

Oooh, how cool! ^_^ There was a lot of useful information from the teacher - I like how he's teaching both the player and the protagonist. In fact, you could almost call it a tutorial of sorts.

Generally, with tutorials, it's a good idea to try to teach the player the information without hand-holding or blatantly stating all of the information. However, since the protagonist is learning alongside the player in the classroom, it makes perfect sense in terms of the narrative to do just that, like you did. c:

I'm curious about the girl with the books now as well. Question, is it possible to be on multiple "routes" at once in terms of romance, or will the game allow you to hang out with several of them instead of making you choose?

Also, I love the GUI in the beginning. ^_^

SypherZent
Veteran

#19 Post by SypherZent »

Zelan wrote:Oooh, how cool! ^_^ There was a lot of useful information from the teacher - I like how he's teaching both the player and the protagonist. In fact, you could almost call it a tutorial of sorts.
Thanks! Yes, this is the 2nd day of class which doubles as a tutorial because the first days of Free Time occur shortly afterwards.

Zelan wrote:I'm curious about the girl with the books now as well. Question, is it possible to be on multiple "routes" at once in terms of romance, or will the game allow you to hang out with several of them instead of making you choose?
It will be possible to pursue more than one romantic interest in a single playthrough, if it is done right.
Or pursue none at all.

Each girl has different likes and the school year provides enough time to pursue enough stats to conquer two girls.
However, they have different likes in terms of psychology as well.
I can't really explain more, or why, as it would lead to spoilers in the plot.

That being said, I think it's important to mention at this stage that this game is not about pursuing a romantic interest.
Of course, it's possible to spend all of your gameplay doing this. That's actually the point, though.
You can spend the school year doing what you want, even avoiding the plot.

And the game has a very real plot, with very deep moral implications, cultural clashes, and more.
I'm really creating a story the depth of the Harry Potter series.

Of course, this adds a whole level of complexity to the development process (and writing process).
Hence why the game will be 200k+ lines.

If you saw the movie Butterfly Effect, then it's the same concept in application for most of the choices in game.
The plot/game has a time frame. During that time frame you will be in certain places based on your choices.
So you won't be able to see everything in one playthrough, because it's impossible to be in two places at once.

One example is that, it's possible to get kicked out of this class.
Where you go during that extra time, is yet to be revealed.
How you react during that time can result in three possible routes.
All of these routes conclude with the end of the class day, but all of the routes provide different opportunities to befriend (or "befoe" xD) a character, or pursue a romantic interest, or encounter a hidden plot hint.

This is basically the gist of it. xD
Hence why I prefer comparing the project overall to Mass Effect, or Persona 4, or actual novels, rather than other Visual Novels.
It's really a much deeper concept than any VN I have seen (though, admittedly I have not seen dozens, lol).

Zelan wrote:Also, I love the GUI in the beginning. ^_^
Thanks! Inspired by the game Persona 4 (Playstation 2 RPG, as well as an Anime).
One of my favorite games, haha!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#20 Post by Zelan »

SypherZent wrote:It will be possible to pursue more than one romantic interest in a single playthrough, if it is done right.
Or pursue none at all.

Each girl has different likes and the school year provides enough time to pursue enough stats to conquer two girls.
However, they have different likes in terms of psychology as well.
I can't really explain more, or why, as it would lead to spoilers in the plot.
That's awesome! I was thinking that it would make sense to be able to pursue multiple love interests specifically because of the fact that the story isn't romance-centric, so the relationships between characters would be one part of the story rather than the main focus of the plot.
SypherZent wrote:If you saw the movie Butterfly Effect, then it's the same concept in application for most of the choices in game.
The plot/game has a time frame. During that time frame you will be in certain places based on your choices.
So you won't be able to see everything in one playthrough, because it's impossible to be in two places at once.
I haven't seen Butterfly Effect, but I know the basic plot, and I've always wanted to see it. ^_^ I'm definitely going to be playing this one more than once - I love seeing the variations that can occur between making different choices.

Something I might suggest with such an expansive script is having a sort of "Scene Replay" section, where a scene will unlock after it's been viewed by the player. This would be helpful to completionists who like to see everything possible in a VN. With your added systems of psychology and stats, though, it might be tough to implement.
SypherZent wrote:One example is that, it's possible to get kicked out of this class.
Where you go during that extra time, is yet to be revealed.
How you react during that time can result in three possible routes.
All of these routes conclude with the end of the class day, but all of the routes provide different opportunities to befriend (or "befoe" xD) a character, or pursue a romantic interest, or encounter a hidden plot hint.
"Befoe" should be added to the official English dictionary as quickly as possible. cx I love this concept, though! I feel like I'll probably choose characters with very different personalities for each playthrough - one who's extremely straight-laced, one who's a complete delinquent, and a bunch who are somewhere in between.

SypherZent
Veteran

#21 Post by SypherZent »

Laughed out loud at the "Befoe" remark! xD

Thanks! I am hoping to achieve a game that is very replayable.
Also, to reveal more of the story in each playthrough, at least the behind-the-scenes, so the player gets a better picture each time.
It is definitely encouraged to take a totally different extreme in terms of psychology on the next playthrough.
I think that would be the most entertaining, at least. xD

As for the Scene Replay, thanks for the suggestion!
I think it is a great idea, and honestly I have been brainstorming this for a few days.
I think the simplest method would be to allow the user to 'jump' to a given day (i.e. 9/1, 9/2, etc.)
However, I just have to figure out how to readjust their stats as they were at that point in time.
This only becomes complicated when they create a second character with different stats, haha.
I am still going over it in my head, though. It is definitely something I'd love to offer.

Thanks once again for the compliments and suggestions, Zelan!
I am glad you are looking forward to the game. :) I will be sure to continue posting updates!

J-Ray
Regular

#22 Post by J-Ray »

This project sounds interesting - I like Sci-Fi theme.
I was watching "Video Preview for Exploration Event" just to see what kind of music and sound you choose and I was forced to increase level on my studio audio card much more that I usually have. You could check your sounds/music levels to be sure players will hear sound.

Also, I'd like to advise you do not use many differently sounding music clips, especially if they were made to please everyone's tastes. Try to think about sound/music style as you think about graphic style for your game. It's always better to have just a few of same style than a dazzling music/sound salad, do not letting player immerse into the game. The choice is yours, of course :)

If you in need of sounds, you may check out my "Sound Blend" library (CC-BY)
For Space scenes, see if you can find something you like here:
http://www.julianraymusic.com/sound/sou ... nd_SOS.php
For Planets, check out "Nature" and "Mysterious Atmospheres" library.

Best wishes!

SypherZent
Veteran

#23 Post by SypherZent »

Hello J-Ray!

For me, I run the game both with my TV audio and also with headset in sound testing.
I get good volume with my television at relatively low (22/100) volume.
Also, I run most of the games at this volume (I drop to 12 when people sleep...so my range is always 12 - 22 for games).
This is probably why I did not notice if the volume was too low.
Thanks for mentioning! I will be sure to double check it.

It also may have been the YouTube upload or the recording process, so I will have to dig a bit.

I use Ren'Py volume control to calibrate the music and sound volumes, because sounds are from different sources.
The music is all from the same source, though. Most are not set to full volume so it's easy to adjust.

For the type of music, I spend a long time hand picking the music for the scenes (sometimes hours to find the right bgm for the current BG/mood/gameplay).

The inspiration I have for the music is Persona 3/4, so there is a specific style I am aiming for with the overall soundtrack.
Luckily, I have all of the music from the same artist, so there is a consistency throughout the game.

Also, thank you for the references on music and scenes!
Thankfully, I already have all of the BGs for the game, but I will be sure to check out the music!

Never hurts to browse, haha! Might find something more fitting, after all. :)

SZ

Crucifixian
Regular
Projects: Navneta franchise

#24 Post by Crucifixian »

You caught my eye when you said you wanted a soundtrack similar to Persona 3/4.

So is most/all of the music you are going to use with that artist? Thinking about creating new music by any chance?

SypherZent
Veteran

#25 Post by SypherZent »

Crucifixian wrote:You caught my eye when you said you wanted a soundtrack similar to Persona 3/4.

So is most/all of the music you are going to use with that artist? Thinking about creating new music by any chance?
Sadly, no plans at the moment for original music for this game. :/
Maybe for the next, though!

So far, the music has fit the setting pretty well.
It's not going to be an exact match to P4, but I try to keep certain rhythms for certain scenes the way they do in P4.
Like, the format in P4, in social scenes is one song (usually upbeat), in plot scenes it's more of a thriller/mystery.
So, basically this style is the inspiration I use when selecting the song for the BG. ^^

J-Ray
Regular

#26 Post by J-Ray »

SypherZent wrote:Hello J-Ray!
For me, I run the game both with my TV audio and also with headset in sound testing.
I get good volume with my television at relatively low (22/100) volume.
Also, I run most of the games at this volume (I drop to 12 when people sleep...so my range is always 12 - 22 for games).
This is probably why I did not notice if the volume was too low.
Thanks for mentioning! I will be sure to double check it.
SZ
So, that's probably just youtube-specific.

SypherZent
Veteran

#27 Post by SypherZent »

Here's a sample of the first character in progress!

This is actually my first time drawing, figured I'd give it a shot.
Still gotta give him a full body, this was just what I did today.

Any feedback is appreciated. ^^

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#28 Post by Zelan »

"First time drawing" you liar. cx That's WAY better than anything I could ever draw.

SypherZent
Veteran

#29 Post by SypherZent »

Well, I was using a tutorial and a few guides.
But honestly, I could give this a horrible critique, myself. D:

I have a clear idea of what I want the character to look like in terms of hair, eye color, etc.
So, I'm going to toy around with different styles over the next few days and see what I can come up with.

In this one, I really dislike the symmetrical, perfectly facing the screen.
Few other details too, in the ears and nose that I got a good critique about, today, as well.

For now, I'll keep at it and see how I can improve.
Need to somehow bring my imagination onto this PC screen, even if it takes me 1-2 weeks per character. xD

Edit:
Ok...

Changed the eyes. Kept the hair. Changed the angle.
It's getting closer, little by little...

*I'm dreading the shading part of the work QQ* xD

Edit:
Version 3.0 (4.0?) The difference is real...
ImageImage

Edit:
Version 5.0 (6.0?) More slight improvements, and now I'll be working on the body (finally)!

SypherZent
Veteran

#30 Post by SypherZent »

Okay, after five days of working on this guy, here's what the first character looks like so far.

Still not done, I am going to dedicate another few days, get some more critiques and do some more final adjustments, if necessary.

Any feedback is appreciated! ^^

Note: This is literally the first character I ever draw, so please be as brutal as possible with the critique.

I am taking tutorials and learning, and if I don't know what is wrong, it'll hinder my learning progress.
So, any details appreciated!

On a side note, I'm perfectly capable of distinguishing between personal preferences and actual technicalities that just look wrong.
I am just still too inexperienced to spot the technicalities. xD

Edit to Add: Definitely making an alien next. Humans are too...I dunno. Human. xD

(In game preview)
Last edited by SypherZent on Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.