Welcome to Intergalactic High! [BxG][VN/RPG][Sci-fi][2018]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
SypherZent
Veteran
Completed: Multiverse Heroes, Space Hamster in Turmoil

Re: Welcome to Intergalactic High! [BxG][VN/RPG][Sci-fi][Fre

#46 Post by SypherZent »

Zelan wrote: That's definitely how it is when you study anything - you start to notice things that you didn't before. ^_^ I'm taking Music History this year and I've been paying more attention when I hear music to all of the different parts and how they fit together. It really makes for an interesting experience. :]
Oh, that's awesome!

To be honest, I had an epiphany recently while listening to Japanese music, but that's language / linguistics / psycholinguistics related and well, another story. xD

However, I would highly recommend checking out Japanese music.
Personally, I don't like labels like 'jrock' or 'jpop' because they can cause overgeneralization and misconception.

Japanese music right now is very much similar in format to the MTV music we had in the 90s.
For example, Verse, Chorus, Verse, Chorus x2, Instrumental Solo, Short Verse, Chorus

Videos end up being 4-6 minutes, and the quality of their music, including lyrics and all is really outstanding compared to what we get mainstream in the West.

LOSER by Kenshi Yonezu is a recent example of an amazing song I can recommend.

Music is pretty amazing when you get into it. For me, music is a heavy part of game production.
It ties into the emotional feelings while playing certain scenes.
It also ties into subconscious association, where certain chords may trigger certain emotions based on songs we liked that we have heard. Like you say, the different parts and how they fit together.

There are ways to take chords and make totally new songs that 'feel' and 'sound' like you heard them before.

Japanese music has tons of songs that sound like the same songs we have here, and many times it causes one to wonder who copied who, or if anyone copied anyone at all.

There's also a video explaining the 'chord' of this generation and how a good 80%+ of our mainstream music has the same exact chord as foundation.

There's really a lot of psychology to music. One of the things that has taken me so much time has been finding the perfect background music for a certain scene in my game. I literally spend hours trying to get the right 'feeling'.

I love music, to be honest. It's really fulfilling when you can appreciate a music piece to its fullest depth, including the lyrics, the meaning, the context, the melody, the tones, and virtually the whole picture.

I'd also recommend Rokuchounen to Ichiya Monogatari by Wagakki Band.
I think these songs are very elaborate pieces and VERY DIFFERENT from what we're used to, and they really open your mind to new possibilities (especially if you're into music production, or just music appreciation). ^^

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#47 Post by Zelan »

Oh, wow, thank you for the recommendations! I will be sure to check them out! ^_^

SypherZent
Veteran

#48 Post by SypherZent »

Added two teachers to the roster of Character Extras!
Next main character is already underway. ^^

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#49 Post by Zelan »

They both look a little young to be teachers - I'm not sure why exactly, but it might be the eye size, or maybe the width of the shoulders.

Asura is very cute, though! ^_^ She looks like a teacher that I would like to have.

SypherZent
Veteran

#50 Post by SypherZent »

Thanks!

And yes! The teachers are young, but they are still older than the students.
It will be common for the high school teachers to be in the 24-30s.

Well, that and they are also aliens, haha! :D

I haven't included age info, but I will add it at a later time for all of the characters. ^^

SypherZent
Veteran

#51 Post by SypherZent »

Hey all!

It's been a bit since I updated.
I had some to rest for a week due to back pains.

So far, the third main character is underway!
His body artwork will soon be done and then I will focus on the character biographies for these guys!

Afterwards, I have the three female main characters to focus on.
These will be the romantic interests, so I left them for last.
I definitely needed the practice haha!

Please note, all outfits, accessories, expressions, and poses on the characters are subject to change. ^^

SZ

SypherZent
Veteran

#52 Post by SypherZent »

Heya everyone!

If you've been following the development of Welcome to Intergalactic High, then please know I am very grateful!
I have a question for anyone interested in the VN. In terms of the storyline, I know exactly what I want to execute.
I know the foundation of what I want to offer in terms of interaction.

I am curious on only one thing for now.

What science fiction topic(s) are you most interested in experiencing?

I have a list of topics so please select one (or multiple) of the ones you find most interesting!
I will do my best to focus on the official story writing while giving emphasis to that topic.

My next writing will be starting the plot, as a lot of the side events have been structured and I'm at the first plot day.
Please note, all of these topics will probably be included, even if it's just as a class day and not entirely plot related.

Topics (Please choose which one(s) you are most interested, and if not interested in some, point out.)

1] Space, Planets, and Space Travel*
2] Dark Matter / Anti Matter*
3] Futuristic Infrastructure Technologies
4] Philosophy, the common science for all Races
5] Alien Cultures & Belief systems*
6] Astronomy of Alien Planets (which shouldn't have our Zodiac, but we may be part of their Zodiac)*
7] The association / entanglement of our Universe with Parallel Universes
8] Ki, the Science of Consciousness, and Superpowers (Natural Transhumanism...DragonBall Z anyone? xD)
9] Cyborg / A.I. / Machine Technology (Technological Transhumanism)

Topics marked with a * will have controversial points of view that may differ from the current worldly accepted theories.
Note: the game takes place in the future, so some of the current theories may have been discredited in this game's timeline.
It is also a fiction game, so some theories and technologies may be entirely fictional.

Let me know which topics you find most interesting!
Feel free to list them in order of interest, or even include topics of your own!

Thanks for taking the time.

Current Progress Update: Aiming to release a short demo, playable up to the first Story/Plot day, by the end of the year.
Creator of Multiverse Heroes & Space Hamster in Turmoil

Want me to code your game?
Check my services thread!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#53 Post by Zelan »

:o Topics!!

Well, you already know that alien culture is something that I've been looking forward to from your game, so 4, 5, and 6 are probably my three favorites. The science of space travel is cool, too, though (number 1). I tend to get a little crazy when science fiction is heavy one the science - if there are too many technical terms, I start to lose track of everything - but this seems like it wouldn't be too hard for me to grasp. ^_^ This whole concept of 'transhumanism' grabs my interest as well (8 and 9).

SypherZent
Veteran

#54 Post by SypherZent »

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Zelan! 4,5,6,1,8,9 Noted!

Most of this information will be blended the way individual ingredients are blended and baked into a cake.
Transhumanism is the next stuff coming out in actual science (World Science Festival 2016) so it's a great topic!

I'm doing my best to introduce these concepts, not with great terminology and scientific explanations, but the way they share these things in anime, by the manifestation of superpowers, or supremely advanced technology. It shouldn't be too hard to grasp, but there will definitely be details that will open your mind to new possibilities (I think that is the best thing any form of Sci-fi media can offer). :D

SypherZent
Veteran

Re: Welcome to Intergalactic High! [BxG][VN/RPG][Sci-fi][201

#55 Post by SypherZent »

Hello!

I have an important update regarding Welcome to Intergalactic High! (hereby after referred to as IH)

I discovered Ren'Py in Sept. 2016, and immediately delved into creating this VN concept, Welcome to IH.

The more I elaborated on the Visual Novel, the more I realized that Ren'Py is an extremely versatile and powerful engine. When 2017 began, I evaluated my life plans (as I've been doing for the last three years), and I realized that Ren'Py is suitable enough to carry out my original intention in video game development.

See, I am a self taught programmer in multiple languages, despite my University studies being in a different field, ever since I was 12 years old there has been a very specific game that I want to create.

Realizing that Ren'Py is powerful enough to enable me to fully create the game I have always desired, it was a heavy burden for me, but I made the decision to put Welcome to IH on a HOLD status until 2018, so that I can fully focus on the development of this new game, the true spiritual successor to Final Fantasy Tactics (the original, not Advance).

The systems that I have already created for my tactics game, will undoubtedly be used in Welcome to IH. I still intend to make IH mostly Visual Novel gameplay (i.e. story based, decision making, and in-depth plot). However, I would like to bring IH to life with a simple Point and Click movement and exploration system, that I am going to base off the Tile Based map engine I am creating for the tactics game.

For now, I wanted to announce this, for the few who have been following the progress of Welcome to IH. I will be posting updates on the Tactics Engine that I am creating as soon as I have marketable artwork and no placeholders. I already have two artists on standby for the completion of the game engine, as well as a music+sound artist, and a music producer.

Thus far, I have an Inventory System, Squad Management System, Equipment System, Ability System, fully functional with Save/Load, and I will be working on Map Exploration next, with Biome and Faction system following suit.

At some point I will create a WiP thread for the new game, however I am debating whether to do that after crowdfunding. In any case, please know that Welcome to IH is on HOLD status in the meantime. The new game will be a commercial distribution, so it will also help to fuel the development of Welcome to IH in 2018.

For any questions, feel free to contact me via my Twitter account.

Thanks for all of the feedback in this forum!
I will be using the same thread once development of Welcome to IH continues. ^^
Creator of Multiverse Heroes & Space Hamster in Turmoil

Want me to code your game?
Check my services thread!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#56 Post by Zelan »

Hey, you're back!! :D

I've never had a chance to play Final Fantasy (unfortunately), but I've heard a lot of good things about it. I'm looking forward to seeing your new project announced! ^_^

SypherZent
Veteran

#57 Post by SypherZent »

Thanks, Zelan! Yes, last few months had been more active in the Questions section than here, haha!
Will be sure to post the new WiP as soon as I have the engine complete. :)