Welcome to Intergalactic High! [BxG][VN/RPG][Sci-fi][2018]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

Re: Welcome to Intergalactic High! [BxG][VN/RPG][Sci-fi][Fre

#31 Post by Zelan »

The right side of his collar looks like it's longer than the other side. I think you were trying to go for a perspective thing, but it's a little bit too long.

The right hand also looks a little stiff. It's definitely shaped right, though, and I know that a lot of artists hate drawing hands, so I would say you've done a fantastic job. ^_^

Imprexia

#32 Post by Imprexia »

I love the idea of this~ Can't wait to see it done ^^

SypherZent
Veteran
Completed: Multiverse Heroes, Space Hamster in Turmoil

#33 Post by SypherZent »

@Zelan
Nice observation on the collar, thanks! I'll will take another look and adjust.
I had actually shortened it quite a bit (it was a lot longer xD).

I am aiming for a slight asymmetry, not necessarily for perspective.
Just because, well I don't think 16 year olds get that stuff perfect all the time.
Still, I think it should look 'right', so I will take a closer look during the next wave of tweaks to see if I can get a nice middle ground there. ^^

The right hand was tricky, too lol!

@Imprexia Thank you! Me too! :)
Creator of Multiverse Heroes & Space Hamster in Turmoil

Want me to code your game?
Check my services thread!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#34 Post by Zelan »

Yeah, I'm sure that they don't always get it perfectly right. cx I would say that you could make one side look like it's only partially folded. The left side looks perfect, so it wouldn't really be physically possible for the other side to be longer, but it could be up higher than it's supposed to be, if that makes any sense. Sorry, I couldn't find a picture online to show what I mean. :/

SypherZent
Veteran

#35 Post by SypherZent »

It actually does look quite long.
If I consider it in terms of the volume of area being occupied, then yea I can definitely tweak it to look better!

I may leave the hand as is, as most of the time the text will be hiding it.

Will be working on it some more over the next few days.
Need to get at least one other pose done, too. Even if it's just upper body for in game only. :D

Edit:

Okay, fixed his collar, (his) right arm which looked a little thick to me, and (his) left hand.
Got somewhat of a second (third) pose going, too. ^^

Still working on that pose with the peace sign. Had (his) right arm wrong, and it looked awful. xD
Have to see how it looks in game now (higher resolution, 3/4 view). The details stand out a bit more.

Maybe few more adjustments, and then I'll take this high schooler into the face factory! xD

(Whachu talkin' bout, Willis?) xD

SypherZent
Veteran

#36 Post by SypherZent »

The dangers of 4:30am and too many hours in front of a screen...

Edit:

I fell asleep shortly after drawing him. xD
This guy is one of the Erpetians! A few of the character extras are Erpetians, so they will look like this.

Note: This guy's like 17 years old, and that's his mustache starting to grow out.
He'll be pretty upset if you call them whiskers.
Nobody shaves whiskers, and he's pretty thrilled about shaving for the first time soon. xD

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#37 Post by Zelan »

The main character is looking good! ^_^

About that peace sign pose, his left hand (on his hip) looks a little awkward. It's actually something that I see a lot on this forum - artists, even pretty good artists, seem to have trouble with hands on hips. The worst part is that I can't explain what's off about it, it just looks... wrong.

His right hand is a little bit big compared to his body, but the proportions of the hand itself look perfect! Well done ~

The Erpetian is adorable! And it's so cool to see one of the alien races for the first time! His collar looks wrong (it's clipping the back of his head), but otherwise, he looks fantastic.

SypherZent
Veteran

#38 Post by SypherZent »

Hey, thanks Zelan! I am glad you like the characters so far!

Regarding the peace sign, I spent a few days pondering it, and I finally figured out what is wrong.
The arm has to come up from a lower angle...Took a few tries in the mirror. xD
I'll be working on that soon!

Also, I will take a look again at the hand proportions. Someone else mentioned this to me as well.
Still debating, because, for me as long as both hands match, I think it's ok.
Have seen people with big hands and small (I have rather large hands in RL, crooked fingers, too lol).

And thanks on the Erpetian! He's going to play a fun role!

I actually did fix his collar while working on a few of his faces. I didn't notice at first because I had to adjust that helmet to actually fit him, so he was wearing it most of the time, but he's looking great now. :D

In other news, the second of the main characters is currently in progress!
Still getting artist critique and doing slight improvements, but should have him ready for next week!

SypherZent
Veteran

#39 Post by SypherZent »

Tidied up the main page (removed old screenshots, only left videos).
Also, updated some of the race descriptions as images.

Will post previews of the characters once I have some nice image formats for them, like the race descriptions. ^^

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#40 Post by Zelan »

The Fynxian race is really cool ^_^ I love feline anything, so I'm interested to see characters of this race in your VN.

I also love the Elves - the concept of them having no spoken name for themselves is brilliant - I don't know if I've ever seen anything like that before! Telepathy is such a cool concept as well, I'm looking forward to seeing how you execute it.

Since we're on the subject of races - do you have any ideas as to the sexual dimorphism (or lack thereof) that each race will have?

SypherZent
Veteran

#41 Post by SypherZent »

Thanks for the compliments, Zelan!
Since we're on the subject of races - do you have any ideas as to the sexual dimorphism (or lack thereof) that each race will have?
I do, and a lot of it is already being translated to the artwork.
Skin tones vary for the races, and there are other quirks and factors that will contribute a lot to the 'local color' of the Universe I'm creating.

For example, the Erpetians have mustaches. Even though they may look like whiskers.
An Erpetian would be quite upset if you call his mustache a whisker. Whiskers can't be shaved.
Fynxians have whiskers. The young Erpetians at IH, on the other hand, are quite excited about shaving for the first time.

The difference between whiskers and mustache of the Erpetians is quite evident, even the placing on the face.
All of this is lore related.

There are other differences. For example, the Kratians have hotter skin tones, I guess comparable to Native Indians.
Whereas the Fynxians will have cooler skin tones. Fynxians' hair is also very similar to lion manes.

If you consider the concept of junk DNA in mankind, then it's known that a small percentage of mankind's DNA is 'unidentifiable' in a sense. We have no idea what the function of it is. It's like a scripter leaving dormant code to be triggered at a later time.

My Universe translates the concept of this junk DNA as the physiological differences in each race.
Aside from these differences, every race could basically be considered just a variation of human.

I won't get into how all of the races originated, whether their origin is related to mankind, or anything of the sort.
That type of lore would not be revealed until, well, I'd say a few games into the brand (quite some time from now lol). xD

Aside from skin tones, eye shapes will vary slightly between the races. Even if they are all anime style.
Kind of how Eastern people vs Western people have differences in the eyes.
This is very evident in the new Teacher's art (all character sprites in the videos will be replaced).

There will be some comedy as well as some potential conflicts due to these physiological differences.

I mentioned I was writing a story the depth of Harry Potter, and in terms of quality, lore, content, and overall execution, I truly am aiming to create something that will be measurable to that standard. So there will be a lot of details for the races. Very much like Mass Effect did, where they really had deep lore for all of their races and also the Codex system that retained all of the info in an accessible encyclopedia that unlocked entries as you discovered them through gameplay.

In terms of females vs males of the same races, there are differences that will be evident (differences in skin tones, horn shapes for Kratians, hair and where hair grows and how, etc.) Erpetians are...well, that's just going to be a surprise. xD

SypherZent
Veteran

#42 Post by SypherZent »

Time for the Fynxian Main Character preview!

Formal character introductions will arrive at a later time.
For now, I am focusing on facial expressions, and maybe clothes changes and other details.
I will have image formats for every character, like the races, soon enough!

So far, the artwork for 2 Main Characters and 5 Character Extras has been completed.
More previews will come after additional phases of quality assurance. ^^

Any comments, suggestions, feedback on the Fynxian Main Character is appreciated!
Note: His feet aren't shaped like humans, so his shoes are slightly concave on the bottom to account for this.

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#43 Post by Zelan »

Oh, he looks awesome! ^_^ It's amazing how much your art has improved since you first started posting here, too, I don't see any adjustments that need to be made.

SypherZent
Veteran

#44 Post by SypherZent »

Wow, thanks Zelan! I am really happy to hear that! All of these tutorials are paying off. :D

It's actually pretty fun learning to draw, too.
I keep picking up tricks here and there and it's hard to even watch anime now without noticing the tiny details in the face (extra lines, curves or shading).

Soon I'll be going into the tutorials for drawing the girls.
That's going to be challenging for me, lol!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#45 Post by Zelan »

SypherZent wrote:Wow, thanks Zelan! I am really happy to hear that! All of these tutorials are paying off. :D

It's actually pretty fun learning to draw, too.
I keep picking up tricks here and there and it's hard to even watch anime now without noticing the tiny details in the face (extra lines, curves or shading).

Soon I'll be going into the tutorials for drawing the girls.
That's going to be challenging for me, lol!
That's definitely how it is when you study anything - you start to notice things that you didn't before. ^_^ I'm taking Music History this year and I've been paying more attention when I hear music to all of the different parts and how they fit together. It really makes for an interesting experience. :]