The King of Writers XX [Parody|Adventure|Comedy|SliceOfLife]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Schwartzlicht
Projects: KoW XX
Organization: Raska Development Team
Deviantart: schwarz-licht

The King of Writers XX [Parody|Adventure|Comedy|SliceOfLife]

#1 Post by Schwartzlicht »

Welcome to a world where Martial Arts overlap with The Nine Arts, where the Ancient Powers overlap with Pop Culture. Welcome to the world of...
A bit of history:

On 1999 I created a parodic story combining characters from the King Of Fighters universe with artists from the local scene. The main idea was that each character would have special powers, derived not from chi or whatever you please, but from an uncanny mastery of their preferred craft (for instance,the KoW equivalent of the Bogard Brothers were a couple of radio jockey brothers with cassette tape-based powers).

The story covered the finale of the '98 arc (parallel to Kof '97) and the beginning of the '99 tournament (based off KoF '99), and ended up as a poorly drawn limited three-issue comic series, of which only the first issue was drawn and hand delivered to most of the parodied people. The reception was unthoughtly good (as nobody took offense and actually found it funny).

Timeskip

Many years have passed. Most of the people parodied on KoW abandoned arts, reproduced, vanished or all of the above at once. So I thought: if the KoW was held right now, who would still be there to answer the call?
The answer is: not many.

So I wrote a story where key characters of the series meet again after many years, off-tournament, and face a threat from the past. Characters of yore reappear and others make cameos. I thought, "hey, I never made the KoW fighting game I wanted to do, I could make a VN out of this". The rest, as they say, is history.

When this game is finished, I'll do pretty much what I did with the comic: distribute a dozen copies among my friends and forget about it. I know this is my first game and as such, it's a wretched spawn: therefore I will not expect eternal glory or recognition. But if my friends play it and like it, I'd consider the effort well paid.

The Game:

If you're not already bored out of your brains, please remember before continuing that anything here is subject to change throughout the development (although I'm a lazy bum that probably will leave everything as it is).

Synopsis

Years after the last KoW, the champions meet for a little slice-of-life action. But soon all pretense of normalcy falls apart, as an old enemy reappears.

Will the heroes unravel the mystery of That Person's return? Will they stop That Person before it's too late? Or will Someone Else do it?

Planned Features

> Two routes and an unlockable third route, four endings for each.*

> A gallery with twenty-five unlockable scenes. ‡

> A comprehensive "I'm a lazy worm" walkthrough to all endings and images.*

> Changing menu images depending on the completed routes.†

Screenshots

1) Menu/GUI

2) Gameplay screens:

Characters

Protagonists: These two will only be shown as side images inside of the text box (‡), although you'll see their full sprites by playing each other's route. You can select any of them, but once both Not-Bad-Endings are reached, the third protagonist's route will be automatically selected. You'll be able to select any route for replay once you clear this one.

Enemies and Allies: they will appear as sprites on screen.

Here are some rough sketches of some of the characters (not definitive art):

Assets

Writer/Programmer/Sprite Art: Yours Truly
BG Art (‖): Uncle Mugen, TropicalMonsoon and Masato
GUI extras: Vita-chi Sozaikan
Sfx: PDSounds, Vita-chi Sozaikan, 1) THE MATCH-MAKERS
Music: Amabine, Vita-chi Sozaikan, OST(§) by Iori Murasawa
Game Engine: Ren'Py

As you can see, I'll be needing a boatload of help just so this project gets off the ground.
Please tell me what you think, what you see it fails, or anything else.

______________NOTES:____________________
*= Solved/done.
†= Further research is needed.
‡= I have no idea where to start.
§= Work in progress.
‖= Completed
Last edited by Schwartzlicht on Wed May 24, 2017 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, my english is awful. Deal with it.

Ghost #9
Regular
Projects: Imaginarium
Organization: AlteRealm

Re: The King of Writers XX [Parody|Adventure|Comedy|SliceOfL

#2 Post by Ghost #9 »

Does one need to have read the previous story and/or know the artists being parodied to fully understand and appreciate what's going on? Or can this be enjoyed as-is by anyone (perhaps missing only some easter eggs and inside jokes)?

Schwartzlicht

#3 Post by Schwartzlicht »

Ghost #9 wrote:Does one need to have read the previous story and/or know the artists being parodied to fully understand and appreciate what's going on?
Absolutely not. All you need to know is given in the fully skippable intro, and a brief introduction is given each time a new character appears.
I've thought a lot about that, and I'm trying my best so the player can immerse in the story and involve with the characters even without any previous knowledge of the "franchise" (pretty much in the spirit of long-time fighting game franchises). Further info for those who need to know everything will be available on the readme.
Ghost #9 wrote:Or can this be enjoyed as-is by anyone (perhaps missing only some easter eggs and inside jokes)?
The inside jokes are the only part that will be missed by those not-in-the-know (such as the panda turning a hospital into a castle), but even those are noodle incidents that have no relevance in the overall story.

dueceladouce
Regular

#4 Post by dueceladouce »

If Terry doesn't speak in broken engrish, then my day will be ruined

Will work in exchange for fight game buddies.

Schwartzlicht

#5 Post by Schwartzlicht »

dueceladouce wrote:If Terry doesn't speak in broken engrish, then my day will be ruined
To my regret, Sergy and Emy (the Bogard Bros. counterparts) have left the art scene long ago, but yes, Sergy even said "Okis!" instead of "Okay!"

Well, time for a little update. Now stay tuned for this little section I like to call...

STUFF I BROKE.

I decided to make a little intro with the backstory of the afforementioned comic, so the newcomers get the background. But, alas, I couldn't get it right.
I wanted to use an "old TV frame",so I used it as a sprite on top of eveything. Then I used the narrator for the text, and... ruined it.

I thought -correctly- that the box ruined the effect, so I tried again, this time with centered text...

And then, I thought "dammit, can't hide that menu, what do?". I decided to give show text "..." with Pause X.X a try.

The lack of an outline disturbed me.Also, upon clicking, the whole intro would go away.

Then, I found that I could make quick_menu dependant of a variable, and that it would show/hide depending on it. Thus, I created an 'outline' character, and there, ready to go... or so I thought.

Using the {w=x.x} to make the text advance automatically didn't work. I tried {nw} and the text went lightning fast. Fumbling, I discovered that I could combine both expressions, so the text intro now could be either autoplayed or clicked forward.

The intro finished, now I only have to... write the rest of the game.

Schwartzlicht

#6 Post by Schwartzlicht »

Still working on this goddamn hellspawn of a game.
Drawing 18 characters by hand and 24 cutscenes is taking a lot longer than I've thought. Let's not even mention coloring them.
But since some people has replied to this thread, I guess an update is in order.

Planned Features

> Two routes and an unlockable third route, four endings for each.*

> A gallery with twenty-five unlockable scenes. ‡

> A comprehensive "I'm a lazy worm" walkthrough to all endings and images.*

> Changing menu images depending on the completed routes.†

Assets

Writer/Programmer/Sprite Art (§): Yours Truly
BG Art (‖): Uncle Mugen, TropicalMonsoon and Masato
GUI extras: Vita-chi Sozaikan
Sfx: PDSounds, Vita-chi Sozaikan, 1) THE MATCH-MAKERS
Music: Amabine, Vita-chi Sozaikan, OST(§) by Iori Murasawa
Game Engine: Ren'Py, although Iori M. is trying to steer me into Tyranobuilder's direction, with another friend offering me to pay for it.

______________NOTES:____________________
*= Solved/done.
†= Further research is needed.
‡= I have no idea where to start.
§= Work in progress.
‖= Completed

Have a sprite sheet.